Jang Keun Suk 장근석

shiro401

Jang Keun Suk to rekindle Hallyu fever with "The Royal Gambler"

The "Prince of Asia," Jang Keun Suk, will return to the small screen in SBS's new epic drama "The Royal Gambler."

Jang says he wants to become more than a pretty baby-face image with this fresh start in the 24-episode drama. His previous role in "You're Beautiful" had earned him wide fandom throughout Asia.

Set in the Joseon Dynasty (1392-1910), Jang will star as Baek Dae-gil, an abandoned son born to King Suk-jong and a maid. He later clashes with the prince over the throne in the action and romance drama.

"Up to now, people remember me as an actor with a pretty face. I have questioned myself as to whether I have been too complacent with that image. I think that the Dae-gil character is one that will help me overcome that fixed image and start anew as an actor," said Jang during the press conference at SBS, in Seoul, Thursday.

"My first impression of the screenplay was that it's very three-dimensional as if I'm watching a movie. While reading the script, I wondered what facial expressions I would have made if I were Dae-gil. I didn't want to miss this opportunity," Jang said.

16-03(402).jpg

"The Royal Gambler" is Jang's first historic drama in eight years since the KBS 2TV series "Hong Gil-dong" in 2008.

Reflecting on his popularity throughout Asia, his comeback met with a fervent fan reaction. Fans from 35 countries including Japan, Taiwan, Russian and Argentina have engaged in promoting the drama, putting up posters at airports, subway stations and bus stops throughout their countries.

On the day of the press conference promoting the drama, some 60 fans mostly from Japan lined up in a long queue at SBS to get a glimpse of Jang standing beside stacks of 20-ton bags of rice donated in the name of each fan club.

"I have flown here this morning to meet him. I became his big fan since the drama You're Beautiful. I like him giving a warm smile, yet he gives an energetic performance when he sings in the duo with Team H," said Mayuko, 48-year-old woman from Osaka, Japan. "Last year, he was not seen so much by the public. I'm happy that he came back. I'm coming here next month too to see him shooting the drama."

Mayuko's friend who also visited for the press conference said she is in love with his "none-like-any-other" character. 

Local industry watchers expect the drama could rekindle hallyu in Japan, which started in 2002 with the mega-hit Korean romantic drama "Winter Sonata," but lost steam recently after the bilateral relationship between Korea and Japan turned sour following political issues such as Japan's claim over Korea's easternmost islets of Dokdo and the war-time forced sex slavery issue. 

"The Royal Gambler" has been sold to KNTA, a Japanese broadcaster specializing in hit Korean shows, for about $150,000 per episode, for a total of $3.6 million for the whole series.

It follows Japan's import of the KBS hit series "Descendants of the Sun" starring actor Song Joong-ki and actress Song Hye-kyo. The military romance drama was reportedly sold for $100,000 per episode.

Jang has been one of the most successful hallyu actors in Japan, as his previous romantic series "Love Rain" was sold to a Japanese broadcaster for a $300,000 per episode.

The first episode of the new TV series will air Monday and will premiere in Japan in early April.

cre: http://www.koreatimes.co.kr

• Like 1

Guest adikkeluangman

Jang Geun Suk's promise for 'Daebak' viewer ratings involves Yeo Jin Goo

The press conference for upcoming historical drama, 'Daebak,' took place recently, where the actors revealed the viewer ratings they wanted to see.

Jang Geun Suk chose 20% while Yeo Jin Goo said, "I wish it would go over 25%."

CeXMJoKUIAAXGNk.jpg

Jang Geun Suk continued, "If we get over 25%, I will teach Yeo Jin Goo how to date," so Yeo Jin Goo said, "Everyone, please watch the show!" causing laughter. How cute!

The first episode airs on March 28, so make sure you tune in for Yeo Jin Goo's sake! Although, really, does he even need lessons when he's that perfect?

http://www.allkpop.com/article/2016/03/jang-geun-suks-promise-for-daebak-viewer-ratings-involves-yeo-jin-goo 

-----
Jang Geun Suk tells that he did not feel any big age gap when working with Yeo Jin Gu

Jang Geun Suk told that he did not feel any big age gap when working with Yeo Jin Gu.

On March 24th, press conference for new SBS drama 'Jackpot' was held at SBS broadcast station in Mok-dong, Seoul, and Jang Geun Suk attended the event with Yeo Jin Gu, Lim Ji Yeon, Jeon Gwang Ryeol, Choi Min Soo, and Yoon Jin Seo.

20160324194258_56f3c4b298965_1.jpg

Regarding Yeo Jin Gu, Jang Geun Suk said, "Yeo Jin Gu becomes a totally different person when he stands before cameras."

He continued, "We are ten years apart from each other, but I could not feel any age gap when working with him. I am very looking forward to future shoots."

Meanwhile, 'Jackpot' is going to evolve around a forgotten prince of Joseon and his younger brother, who later becomes King Youngjo of Joseon. The drama will premiere on March 28th at 10 PM.

http://starn.hankyung.com/global/en/news/index.html?no=440921