Olive Skin Tone

Guest Hearted

Guest Hearted

flattering?
Alright, I have an olive skin tone and I find most products/colours/etc do not go well with me. Or the ones I'm interested in. I get pretty sad because pastel and light pinks aren't really for me (as so other atricles say.) For others out there who are olive skin toned, any help? What would you reccomend to flatter your skintone. Another question am I on the lighter side of olive skin tone or the medium side? I really like a fair complexion because you can pair it with light pastel colours and such. Anyway around it with an olive tone? Or am I wrong? One last question, do you think olive skin tone is flattering? I mean, personally I'm into the paler/fair look rather than the tanned look anymore. So, my answer for that would be not so much, unless someone wants to prove me otherwise, that olive can look flattering other than being tanned.

Thanks in advance~

-

I've searched for another topic like this, but none came up except a What is my Skintone topic, but I think that is another story.

Guest kawaiixsuju

Well from what I know, you shouldn't go for neutral shades and your skin type can wear a wide range of colors so experiment! like i think purple is the most flattering :) pink lipglosses are nice, and shimmering bronzers with a hint of pink would be great too:) hope this helps some!

Guest milkychew

^^^

really?? i thought stuff like nude lip colors and whatnot looked good on tan/olive-skinned people? not arguing or anything, it's just what i previously thought :P

Guest MiNuLoVe

I have olive skin tone...and a plum color looks best on me...nude or pale pink make me look sick.

it depends on the shape of your lips too if you're looking

for lipstick color.

Guest Malice_Kaiser

Deep colors. Olive skin tends to go really well with darker purples, burnt oranges and reds, most yellows, and of course all the neutrals (browns, black, white, greys). There's also off-white like champagne and beige that look good too.

I personally disagree with the above about pink lips. I think subtle reds for lips look best (more like lip TINT, not lipstick).

And yeah, sorry, but I don't think pastels look very good with most skin tones except pale pink- or peach-based skin.

And as for "Is olive skin flattering," it's kind of a silly question to ask, isn't it? All different skin color families have "bad" skin and "good" skin. You say pale skin is pretty, but pale skin riddled with acne that someone doesn't take care of is obviously going to look worse than milky olive skin that a person does take care of.

You seem pretty self-conscious about your skin color.... don't be!!!! :D

I think olive skin tone is pretty nice [but then again, what I say is biased since I too am an olive].

It makes me a little sad that a lot of soompiers think that darker skin looks "dirty" [from various other skin tone threads].

You can give yourself that golden bronze glow and look naturally sexy with it! Dark lipsticks, nudes, just not really pastels.

And I can't really tell what your skin really looks like because the picture from your avatar is photoshopped.

Guest pig_tailed_girl

im golden olive!

and trust me, our skin tone can wear the brightest of shades and look good in it

be wary in wearing pastels, it does make us look muddy

Deep dark colours look great on olive skin! I saw a picture in Seventeen that had a model with dark olive skin and she looked fabulous in purple lipstick and dark eye make-up.

Guest PinkNekoLelu

Hi I also have an olive skin tone. Makeup in general is very hard for me to match because I have sensitive skin, rosacea, hyper-pigmentation, freckles and acne. lmao My only advice is don't settle with a product you're not happy with. I shop at sephora and they have a great return policy and will accept open and used products. It will take you more time to match your skin tone but generally it's better to always match the skin around your chin and neck and don't trust fluorescent lighting always look at in under natural sunlight. I'm also on the pale side because I use sunscreen everyday and I prefer pale over tanned skin.

I was all dolled up one night when I went out to dinner with my boyfriend's family and this little girl that was the daughter of a family friend said I looked like the girl from Phantom of the Opera. Children are very honest ;]

Have you tried using like a pale pink or champagne colored eyeshadow? also all shades of brown look good with olive skin here's my favorite eyeshadow duo by Too Faced in Totally Toasted

978130_sw.jpg

Guest soompier1

you could also post this in the critique my appearance thread, the people there give helpful and honest advice, it's pinned or you could search for it in the sidebar.

Guest Hearted

@ soompier1 - I feel like this topic is not much of myself and more of the actual variations of olive skin tone. It was just convient to pose questions related to myself because I am olive toned. And this topic could be useful for future soompiers. I also wanted people's opinons about this certain skin tone. Anyways, if this is allowed, I don't mind if the MODs closed this thread.

@ Everyone else - ...I'm just abit sad that I have to be careful of pastel colours because I love those shades. And I am not really into much of a deep colours. Thanks for all of the advice and opinons about this, maybe I'll change my point of view.

Guest LibraZebra

I'm an olive skin tone also and it makes makeup shopping difficult. Like, I finally found a foundation color that matched my skin pretty okay after a year...

I've found that gem tones work well with my skin, like aqua, purple, reddish brown, etc. I stay away from pinks on my eyes, makes them look irritated. Rosy-reds and corals are good for blush and lipstick/gloss. That weird fuchsia-purple color looks good on some people too.

I look better tan, but I like the pale look, so it's kind of depressing. I get kind of tired & sallow looking when I'm pale, so I have to use concealer and stuff =/

Guest Malice_Kaiser

...I'm just abit sad that I have to be careful of pastel colours because I love those shades. And I am not really into much of a deep colours. Thanks for all of the advice and opinons about this, maybe I'll change my point of view.

Hey, I know how you feel. But everyone has to deal with things like that. Not just that they can't wear something due to skin tone, but it might be due to body type, height, facial structure/features, you name it. There are plenty of things I look at and say "I love that but, I could never pull it off." For me, this is ESPECIALLY true for hairstyles. Certain things I love, I just can't look good in because of my natural facial structure. Just gotta accept it and work with what we can

Guest saiainoshi

The easiest way to see what colors you're good in is to find out which "season" you are. This applies to clothing and makeup :)

I have ivory skin when pale and olive skin when tanned. When pale, I pull off autumn well. When I'm tan, I pull off winter colors well.

GREAT link:

http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/Tutoria...lorAnalysis.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_analysis

Guest nghister

I have olive skin but I can pull off pastels and paler shades well. I think it depends on how pale you can get, which is easy... olive skin tones can get pretty pale, especially during the winter. If you want to wear paler lipstick shades, try to stay out of the sun because I find that olive skin tones tan very easily but our tans also fade really fast. Once you do, and the paler you get, the more neutral your skin tone is. It's great b/c you can pull off neutral pinks or even blue based pinks. =]

Don't be sad about your skin tone. It's great to be tanned during summer and pale during winter ^ ^

Guest Hearted

The easiest way to see what colors you're good in is to find out which "season" you are. This applies to clothing and makeup :)

I have ivory skin when pale and olive skin when tanned. When pale, I pull off autumn well. When I'm tan, I pull off winter colors well.

GREAT link:

http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/Tutoria...lorAnalysis.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_analysis

thanks for the links and the advice! thou i can't determine the answers for it! T^T . . I'm a very picky person.

I have olive skin but I can pull off pastels and paler shades well. I think it depends on how pale you can get, which is easy... olive skin tones can get pretty pale, especially during the winter. If you want to wear paler lipstick shades, try to stay out of the sun because I find that olive skin tones tan very easily but our tans also fade really fast. Once you do, and the paler you get, the more neutral your skin tone is. It's great b/c you can pull off neutral pinks or even blue based pinks. =]

Don't be sad about your skin tone. It's great to be tanned during summer and pale during winter ^ ^

Well, that just cheered me up and give me a glimmer of hope, thank you lots!

• 2 years later...
Guest sanawehbe

Hearted said: @ soompier1 - I feel like this topic is not much of myself and more of the actual variations of olive skin tone. It was just convient to pose questions related to myself because I am olive toned. And this topic could be useful for future soompiers. I also wanted people's opinons about this certain skin tone. Anyways, if this is allowed, I don't mind if the MODs closed this thread.

@ Everyone else - ...I'm just abit sad that I have to be careful of pastel colours because I love those shades. And I am not really into much of a deep colours. Thanks for all of the advice and opinons about this, maybe I'll change my point of view.

I am Light Olive...meaning my skin is light/pale with a yellow undertone. Personally, I do not think there's much problem with matching with colors with yellow undertones. There are some color to avoid, however, and it is golden colors. Contrary to popular belief, if you apply a thick layer of golden eye shadow, it will look dirty because your skin has that undertone already. However, a light yellow based makeup with a hint of yellow (aka bronzer, blush, foundation) is perfectly look. In other ways, do not make your skin more yellow looking, only blend in with it.

Guest Hearted

@sanawehbe - You had to pm me about it too, I replied there too. I'm glad you have an opinion. Guess what, I have one too. I have yet to see someone who has a pink undertone more fair than an olive undertone. Please don't produce offerings. Also, learn to talk to people with respect.

Archived