Curling with scrunchies...

Guest seoulcincinatti

I'm definitely going to be following this thread, because whenever I do two buns at night after my shower and take them out in the morning, my curls are all messed up and all over the place. Then I end up putting my hair in a full bun anyway. :/

Guest flyingpenguins

Is it okay to sleep with your hair wet?

I usually tie up my hair when it is a bit damp, but my mom says it's bad to sleep when your hair is wet :/

Guest graphixx012

I tried to do the bun when my hair is damp and sleep on it but when it never stayed long, and I can't stand gels/ wax =x

Is it okay to sleep with your hair wet?

I usually tie up my hair when it is a bit damp, but my mom says it's bad to sleep when your hair is wet :/

My mommy says the same thing XD

It's only bad if your hair is sopping wet because water will evaporate from your hair and take away heat from your head. Your hair should only be a little damp, which is harmless :)

I tried to do the bun when my hair is damp and sleep on it but when it never stayed long, and I can't stand gels/ wax =x

Meee too! I just use leave-in conditioner/mousse~

hi everyone! Having Asian pin-straight hair, I've been obsessed with nice curls for the past 1-2 years :P Since my hair is thin and easily dried/burned, I've tried a LOT of overnight curl methods... here are two bun-methods I have used :)

First of all, you guys have to know that everyone's hair is different. The use of products completely depends on your hair.

My cousin can tie 4 bantu knots, add a spritz of hair spray, and get her curls in 20 minutes, whereas I have to load up on the products and leave my bun for overnight or at least 6 hours... and even then I don't get dramatic curls. You don't have to use mousse/hair spray the way I do; just do a lot of trial and error to see what suits you best :D

My 'BEFORE' prep:

-I always take a shower at night, so I wait until my hair is just a tiny bit damp... say 10%?

-Then I add in Aussie Catch the Wave Leave-In Conditioner Mousse, which I HIGHLY recommend because it's AMAAAZING! With my easily heat-damaged hair, I can always tell the difference when a product has helped my hair :) so cheap too!

31QqKB3Q1-L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

-always make sure your hair is tangle-free to achieve smooth curls/waves!

1. Loose Waves + Volume One of my favorites since I have flat Asian hair, lol

This style works best if you have LAYERS! I have long layers starting below my collarbone.

P1300481-1.jpg

HOW:

Picture81.png

1. Flip your head over so that all your hair is hanging upside down and hold it all in place.

2. Stand back up so that you can see what you're doing and twist your hair into a 'rope' at the crown of your head, slightly diagonally.

3. Push the twisted rope of hair forward so you get a little poof at the front top of your head (this creates volume)

4. Twist the hair into a big bun. Secure with a scrunchie, and don't tie too tightly! If the bun is wobbly, use some bobby pins to secure it in place. You'll basically have a Japanese odango bun on your head.

5. Leave until your hair is all dry... I just sleep on it :)

OPTIONAL: spray the bun with hair spray at night when you tie it in + a few minutes before you take it out. Also spray the waves when they're all unraveled. My hair has a lot of trouble holding curl so I have to do this XD

You can also heat up your bun with a diffuser!

2. Defined loose curls

P1310138.jpg

please excuse the lighting of this picture, it was taken a over year ago when I was convinced that my dark skin=horribly ugly XD

SUGGESTIONS not used for the curls in this picture: ~Use your fingers to twist up some curls and make them neater/more defined. This style is more ringlets than waves, so this makes a big difference (I was unaware at the time LOL)

~Apply the Aussie mousse, it will really do a lot to separate and define the curls!

HOW:

Picture82.png

Unlike a lot of suggestions in this thread, I actually tied these buns very tightly with a hair ties. This is the only overnight method where I don't get dents in my hair doing that :)

1. Split your hair in half, top and bottom. Pull the top half of your hair behind you and twist into a bun on the back/top of your head. You'll have a half up-do.

2. Take the bottom half of your hair and twist into a bun at the back/bottom of your head.

3. Tie both buns tightly with hair ties, or scrunchies if you prefer.

4. Leave until hair is dry or sleep on it!

OPTIONAL: same as above~

Please excuse my crude drawings XD

Let me know if you're confused by any directions!

Archived