[Drama 2011] What's Up? 왓츠 업

Guest sayroo

Hello! This is my 2nd time to post here in the drama section since YAB was released in 2009 but I feel like I must coz I really really love how this drama is going so far. I've been spazzing since it was aired by MBN and streamed this through their website which was pretty fast and HD too. For those want to stream it real-time, use Internet Explorer and go to this websiteWhat's Up Livestream For those who want to stream it live, according to the official website MBN What's Up Official Website it's scheduled airtimes are 21:00 - Saturday & Sunday and a re-run on Tuesdays 11am and Sunday 1pm. But there was an article that it was moved to 21:30 KST? Anyway, there have been issues on the timeslot of this show with MBN which could be why the ratings aren't on par with the quality pf this drama yet. I hope it picks up soon.

So far all the characters piqued my interest. They all have their quirks and even without the subtitles you can kinda guess what's happening and you can peg their characters' traits. It's well-acted imo. There were some awkward parts where the acting reminds me a lot of stage plays which means they have a tendency to exaggerate physical acting/expressions but since this is a musical drama that's forgivable. This is my first time to really spazz over a drama in a forum and I'm just really excited. (Though this is partly coz I'm a VIP and i love dae)

The opening of first episode seemed to be in medias res and the balloon thing was their way of bringing the viewers back to what happened in the past. A bit similar with Dream High but I like the use of the balloon more since it's subtler and more artistic.

Everyone in this drama has their own motivations and their issues. I feel like it's all about the individual dreams of students in a university for the arts and how their personal lives affect it. This looks more like a drama of personal growth and even if Joohwan's the main character here, I feel like each of the characters might be given enough depth and development in the future so that the story isn't focused on just one person. I hope my prediction's correct.

Some thoughts on the characters: (these are first impressions on the raw of the show and not on dialogues). Putting in spoilers.

57041765.jpg

Jang Jaeheon (Lim Joohwan)

His character is a bit of mix between Kevin Bacon's in Footloose and Yoo Seungho's character in Master of Study. He's that poor kid with a dream. He's jaded and a bit of a rebel/punk but fell in love with musicals after seeing the lady sing Phantom of the Opera. He's street smart and he seems close with his mother who's the blue collar worker struggling to support her kid. He's also a pickpocket and gets a wake up call when he runs over the old man in the first episode. Personally, I loved the part where he was checking if he got into uni in the PC Bang. Also loved the part where he was late for his classes on his first day. His guilt over the man who was ran over will haunt him and I suspect his character's growth will be intertwined with Park Dae's.

57191750.png

Ha Do Seong (Daesung)

Based on the description in MBN's website, he was an internet star(?) first who became popular later as a singer. He has a bit of a complex about his face and refuses to reveal it. It might be because of something his mother has said in the past and her leaving him. First episode had the media taking photos of him which makes me think the mystery is part of the popularity. I love how his character is a bit of a pushover but technically it's just really a front so he doesn't get noticed coz he's trying to hide his identity as Hades (the god of death/rockstar). He's not 100% nice. Out of the characters he's actually the most normal. It looks like he has mom issues and that has no close family member so he craves attention. His interaction and future bromance with Joohwan will prove to be interesting and his love interest too. I think Dae mentioned in the press conference that his character's childhood was spent alone.

66389249.jpg

Park Dae (Kim Ji Won) - She's the girl from the country with a lot of dreams. 4D and bubbly and it looks like she, DoSeong and Jaeheon will have a bit of a love triangle. I anticipate the cuteness! she was very adorable in the first two episodes since she always gets lost in the campus. Her relationship with her grandfather played by Kim Changwan (Coffee Prince) is also interesting. EDIT: It seems like the grandfather is dead (?) and he's the one who was ran over by the truck in the first episode because of Joohwan. Joohwan might have that post it with the name of Dae's mother (?) that links him to her. She reminds me a lot of Song Samdong from Dream High.

Oh Doori (Im Joo Eun) - She's a very strange character and the most mysterious so far. Her little audition piece where she turns her acting on and off, the cutting of her hair, and her use of the camera in the cafeteria hints of something dark about her. She's the only one I can't decide on yet so I'm going to watch out for her most. She's different from the rest since there's little that's been revealed about her. But it seems like she and her mother have some differences. She doesn't appear to have as much an interest in being part of the arts program since it was her mother who took the phone call on her acceptance to it iirc.

Eun Chaeyoung (Jang Heejin) - if you watched Spy Myungwol, you'll be familiar with her as the spoiled girl In Ah starring opposite Han Yeseul. Here, she's a ballerina who's determined to succeed and make her way on top. The part where she tries to seduce the instructor was funny. And her roommate's reaction to her and fangirling is a winner too. I'm going to wait til she starts showing her fangs/claws.

32754132.jpg

Kim Byeong Geon (Jo Jung Seok) - He has stage fright and chokes when he goes onstage. His crush on Chaeyeong is adorable. I love the part where he's so excited about his acceptance in the uni but his family's made of executives who don't find it very interesting. He's such a pushover and actually reminds me a bit of Gong Yoo in Finding Mr. Destiny.

wa1d.jpg

Lee Soo Bin (Lee Soo Hyuk) - I'm a sucker for the quiet/artist types. he reminds me of Sano from Hanazakari no Kimitachi e (live action/Japan version) or Hana Kimi. Soo Bin is like Shun Oguri's Sano - a bit quiet and nonchalant but he's a famous violinist or pianist (according to the old article from dramabeans) - very typical of shoujo manga characters. Byeong Geon's and Lee Soo Bin's bromance will be the one i'll watch out for. Soo Bin messing up his room and essentially ignoring him is an indication of that.

Sun Wooyoung (Oh Manseok) - introduced in the 2nd episode at the end of the show. he was popular in musical/once esteemed but a scandal happened (according to the very brief description in mbn's website). he's going to be a professor or something here and a major player in episodes to come. might become their mentor or something.

Sorry I spazzed a lot but overall I love the production of this show. Can't wait for everything to be subbed so we can fully understand what's going on and on how their characters will develop.

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, I've also been a lurker here and just love the eps even though watched it w/o the subs. Nice analysis on the character by no1chronoptimist hope you'll continue to give feedback on this drama.

Below just some addition and my personal thoughts on the characters (sorry I'm using @no1chronoptimist as a reference )

Jang Jaeheon (Lim Joohwan) His guilt over the man who was ran over will haunt him and I suspect his character's growth will be intertwined with Park Dae's.

Yeah he ran over Jiwon's father and I also think this will be one of the plots they gonna play in the drama. I don't know whether She will be the love interest coz I'm rooting for Joo Eun and Joo Hwan and Daesung with Jiwon. I loved the part between JH and his mother when he asked her permission to study and maybe he can feel his heartbeat beating for passion? hahaha his mom so cute imitating him. But i feel sorry for Daesung being bullied by him with the choosing bed and thrown out of class by the principle.

Ha Do Seong (Daesung) He has a bit of a complex about his face and refuses to reveal it. It might be because of something his mother has said in the past and her leaving him.

I'm pretty sure her mother left him because she wanted to start a family with another man. I feel sad in 2 scenes where Daesung called him mom and she said if he expose himself, their relationship will end, and she will never want to see him again. that's why he made the decision to quit when the reporter took his pic despite the begging from his manager / uncle. (did anyone notice the photographer & uncle are also in Dream High as that annoying reporter which actually was the judge for the US competition and the uncle is Suzy's father?). Even when he called his mom telling about his college acceptance, she was busy with her new children/baby at the back and has no time for him. :tears:

Hope that he could find his courage and happiness in the school, but with JH bullying him, it's too early for that. <_< Can't wait to see their reaction when they found out that he is HADES!

Park Dae (Kim Ji Won) - Her relationship with her grandfather played by Kim Changwan (Coffee Prince) is also interesting. EDIT: It seems like the grandfather is dead (?) and he's the one who was ran over by the truck in the first episode because of Joohwan. Joohwan might have that post it with the name of Doseong's mother (?) that links him to her.

I think Kim Changwan's is her father (coz I remember her granpa is still alive at the countryside) and she sometimes seeks his advice where he comes and sit with her for small talks (so I think he's dead). I remember in the first eps he just came back from seeing a private investigator? where he gave him a bunch of docs. Maybe it's about her mother?

Oh Doori (Im Joo Eun) - She's different from the rest since there's little that's been revealed about her. But it seems like she and her mother have some differences.

I also agree in this one. it looks like her mother had raised her like a princess ( even her clothes is like Kim Tae Hee in My Princess) and sent her to French classes? and maybe acting classess. but when she changed her character during the audition I was squealing excitedly! Now there's a rebel I wanna get to know

Eun Chaeyoung (Jang Heejin) - The part where she tries to seduce the instructor was funny. And her roommate's reaction to her and fangirling is a winner too.I'm going to wait til she starts showing her fangs/claws.

Nothing much can say about her character. it's the typical richard simmons where she gets what she wants and it's looks like she's using Jo Jung Suk character to get to his roommate - Lee Soo Hyuk

Kim Byeong Geon (Jo Jung Seok) - I love the part where he's so excited about his acceptance in the uni but his family's made of executives who don't find it very interesting.

I also find him funny being a klutz and I don't think he truthfully told his family he went to the Musical Dept, coz he was like changing his answer when his brother ask him which dept? He's totally into Chae Young and he was clueless about his roommate (he was rambling about the dirty room when it was obvious LSH is his roommate and a senior) and didn't even know that he was famous musician until that girl ask for autograph.

Lee Soo Bin (Lee Soo Hyuk) - Byeong Geon's and Lee Soo Bin's bromance will be the one i'll watch out for. Soo Bin messing up his room and essentially ignoring him is an indication of that.

Can't wait for the bromance either. I wonder if LSH and Daesung interact outside the drama, with him being besties with G-Dragon and all. and did anyone notice the KWON TWINS from HI-TECH dancer (YG Family Dancers) are also in this. although they don't have any dialogs but still too cute to miss! Now that's a whole lot of Bromance

Sun Wooyoung (Oh Manseok) -he was popular in musical/once esteemed but a scandal happened (according to the very brief description in mbn's website). he's going to be a professor or something here and a major player in episodes to come. might become their mentor or something.

I love him. his like Eum Ki Joon character in Dream High except that his looks like a I-don't-give-a-d*amn-whatever and totally bad a$$. I'm rooting for him to look over the underdog - JooHwan-DaeSung-Jiwon vs HaeJin-Jung Seok and maybe Joo Eun?

the opening scenes are kinda gloomy. all 7 main chars wear black clothes.

somebody gonna die? could it be the professor aka oh man seok's char?

:sweatingbullets:

Yeah i also fee that vibe coz everyone's wearing black. Praying for it to be for a Musical production?

Oh And i luv luv luv :wub: the background music in this drama!

Anyone has the press conference photos? seen it in YG dedicated blog because they are covering Dae's part. wish someone will update the thread

Guest kayana20

I am too obsessed with too many drama's and this is one of them. It is a good show so far but everyone has their own talent and insecurity that holds them back. :wub: :wub: I'm going to wait for subs to find a couple to ship or a lead. Plus I am hoping the OSt makes me want to jam like dream high's did too.

Guest lolly88

so i watch the chinese sub's of What's up and i am hook ,I love that all the characters are VERY different from one another .

The main characters Jang Jaeheon and Kim Ji-Won stole the spotlight in the first 2 episodes, their acting impress me however

it will be sad later on as the stroy progress , when Park Dae finds out Jang Jaeheon was the one that cause her father death

and when jaeheon finds out that she is that man daughter,expect the usual k-drama -_-

For now i find park dae character very cute especially when she is lost and while crying still manage to look cute

Jaeheon character is such a rebel totally unlike dream high if one were to compare ,he is such a bad richard simmons,especially when he throws the chair at his seniors

and the way he retorted back .

Looking forward to next week episodes ;)

Guest juang_bb

WHAT'S UP PRESS CONFERENCE ON ETN

WHAT'S UP - DAESUNG'S INTERVIEW ON MBN NEWS

c: dcds0426@youtube

English Translation of Daesung's interview with MBN News:

Q: What is the attraction of What's Up?

A: I think that a story about campus life is 'fresh', and on top of that, the story is about the determination and trials of students as they move towards their dreams, which I think will appeal to other students. The issues about family should also cater to all.

Q: In the drama your music has a very 'rock' feel. Did you do a lot of preparations for this role?

A: Because prior to this drama I hadn't really experimented with this rock genre, for the role of Hades I listened to a lot of rock music and also practised singing this style a lot until I finally managed to get that right feeling.

Q: How similar do you think you are to your character Hades?

A: Because this is my first drama, the script writer actually took a lot of my own characteristics into consideration when writing the script. I normally do not speak much and am the type of person to keep his feelings hidden, and these traits were put into my character's personality, so even though the acting was challenging, it was not especially difficult.

Q: What were your fans reactions?

A: My fans are the ones who have given me the greatest strength, and in order to repay them and not disappoint them, I have put in greater effort. Thankfully, the response so far has been not bad, and I am happy about that.

Q: About coming back to the industry after your 7 month break...

A: Extremely nervous. The broadcast dates were on the 3rd and 4th, which coincided with the YG Family Concert dates, so I was extremely nervous during that period. There are also a lot of upcoming activities so I will be very busy, so while I am very nervous, I'm also happy to start over and have a new beginning with these activities, so it's a bit of a half-half mixed feeling.

Q: What are your activities after this?

A: What's Up has already finished production, so I can get to see everyone through it's broadcast. Some time next year too I'll be able to see everyone through Big Bang's new album.

Q: What is Big Bang to you?

A: What is Big Bang to me? (laughing) Something like a portable stove/furnace (direct translation from the chinese word, not sure if he meant a heating pad or something like that instead?). During this period, I felt very sorry towards the members and yet they have given me a lot of strength. A portable stove is something that no matter what time or place, so long as you open it you can receive warmth. At the times when I was most down, it was their phonecalls that gave me strength, and they are the family that I am always very grateful to.

source : http://mbn.mk.co.kr/pages/news/newsView.php?category=mbn00007&news_seq_no=1133372

translation : bigbangupdates

via orange@kang-daesung.com [DCDS]

Damn, is no one else watching this drama?! At least, on soompi?

I'm sure once the full subs come out, people will come out of the woodwork, but I really am surprised. I've been waiting for this drama ever since it was announced. There was a lot of initial buzz because of Daesung but I've been excited mainly because of Im Ju Hwan and Oh Man Seok. Both of them are A-class actors. Im Ju-hwan wasnt in many mainstream projects, imo, and I thought that this could be his breakout role...

...or at least generate some talk now that he's in the army. Anyone read any articles or know the ratings?

I was really impressed by the first episode. There was just enough drama to keep me hooked but it left me hungering for more. The way it was broken up seemed almost like a stage setting, with several acts coinciding. I don't know if that was intentional, but that was my interpretation.

Daesung's sob storyline seems kind of fuzzy right now (he's TOTALLY pulling a Clark Kent/Highway Star) but I'm eager to see how it effects the larger storyline. Some of the previews talked about him being a dark character with a compelling past.

Right now, I'm interested in seeing how Im Ju Hwan's character and Kim Ji Won's character interact...

Random, but it tickles me that I'm seeing Lee Soo Hyuk in three dramas right now (Vampire Idol, What's Up, Tree with Deep Roots) and he's chill and mysterious in all of them.But, different types of chill and mysterious.

I like how he's subtle enough where he KNOWS he's typecast for his looks, but he can also be versatile enough to tweek it just a bit.

currently waiting for 3rd episode. :D

less than 5hours to go.

Jae-Hun (Lim Ju-Hwan)  hangs around his friends and they often look for drunks to steal money  from. One day, his friends try steal from a drunken guy without Jae-Hun.  His friend are caught by the police. Jae-Hun sees his friends being  arrested and approaches them. Jae-Hun introduces himself as a detective  in front of the cops, but they don't believe him. Jae-Hun and his  friends then attempt to flee from the cops. During their escape, Jae-Hun  steals a motorcycle. An accident occurs, when Jae-Hun hits a pedestrian  who is then hit by a truck. At the scene of the accident, Jae-Hun picks  up a paper which belonged to the hit man. To avoid the police, Jae-Hun  helps nearby workers who are carrying wooden items onto a truck and gets  on the truck with them. They arrive at a concert hall. Jae-Hun hears  music and follows the sound. He sees a singer and feels something from  the music.

Afterwards, Jae-Hun returns to the scene of the accident and asks  a clerk at a nearby store if the guy that was hit by a truck is okay.  The clerk responds that she thinks the guy is okay, because the accident  scene was cleared out relatively quickly. Jae-Hun is relieved to hear  the good news, but he doesn't know that the man actually died at the  scene of the accident.

The next day, Jae-Hun tells his mother that he wants to go to  college to study acting. He explains to her what he felt when he was at  the concert hall. His mom gives Jae-Hun a bankbook and agrees to let  Jae-Hun follow his dreams. Jae-Hun asks a friend to apply for him at a  university, majoring in acting. Jae-Hun's friend asks him whether he can  sing or dance and Jae-Hun says "no." Jae-Hun's friend, nevertheless,  submits Jae-Hun's application as a musical major.

Hiding his identity, Do-Sung (Kang Dae-Sung)  publishes songs under the pen name of Hades. Those songs became very  popular. Do-Sung now performs those songs for the first time on stage  while wearing a mask. During a break, a photographer, that is hiding,  snaps his picture without a mask. After the last song, Do-Sung tells the  audience that after today "Hades" is dead and bids the audience  farewell. Because of his secret family background, Do-Sung can't reveal  his real identity. Do-Sung calls his mother and she tells him that she  will take care of the pictures taken by the photographer and asks him to  not perform anymore.

On the audition day for entry into a university, Tae-Yi (Kim Ji-Won)  arrives on campus. She becomes lost and can't find the right building  holding the audition. Jae-Hun also arrives on campus and finds himself  similarly lost on campus. Jae-Hun also realizes that he is applying as a  musical major and not an acting major as he originally wanted. Finally,  Jae-Hun and Tae-Yi arrive at the correct building. In the waiting room,  Tae-Yi sits next to Do-Sung who is applying for the same major. Tae-Yi  asks Do-Sung to practice together. At that time, Jae-Hun, who sitting  next to them, asks what a "musical" is. Tae-Yi and Do-Sung are  dumbfounded ...

cr: asianmediawiki

that was basically the plot for the first two episodes. now, i'm more curious with hades history. what happen to him when he was young. who is his mother and why he want to hide his identity.

For those who wants to know on the ratings, Eps 1 - 0.464%. For cable channel, to be able to reach 1% is a triumph (see: Padam2) and to reach 2% is a big hit (see: Flower Boy Ramyeon Shop).

Not sure on the schedule conflict. is it for the re-runs coz What's Up airs at 9pm Korea.

Below is an article mentioning the rating and schedule conflict.

"What's Up" organizes on its own

General service channel MBN's weekend drama "What's Up" didn't keep to its time schedule.

The first episode of "What's Up" was aired instead of the second episode like it was supposed to originally, at 2PM.

MBN then announced around 2:50PM that, "The third episode will be shown at 3pm", but the viewers weren't happy about this.

Viewers stated on the show's bulletin board, "Please be punctual", "I waited so long but this is ridiculous. Is it fun to toy with the viewers?", "Is this a joke?" and such.

Meanwhile, "What's Up" on December 3rd rated 0.464%.

Source : http://news.nate.com/view/20111205n03857

Copy & paste guideline for this article

Always put a link back to the source and HanCinema permalink

Read more - http://w.po.st/share/entry/redir?publisherKey=www.hancinema.net-488&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.hancinema.net%2Fwhat-s-up-organizes-on-its-own-35952.html&title=%5C%22What%5C's%20Up%5C%22%20organizes%20on%20its%20own&sharer=copypaste

Just finished the 3rd episode, and still I don't really know what I feel about this drama.

I'm a bit iffy on the problems of the kids, it really seems too melodramatic for my liking. The contrast between their university life and their personal life is massive, I really do want to see how the author will connect the two.

with that being said, I thought episode 3 was probably the best episode so far. Maybe it was because it was all about university life rather than their own personal drama, but either way everything seemed to flow really well and I can't wait for the next episode.

finished watching ep.3.

they all have good voices. like the song that Tae-Yi and Byung  Hun did.

look like that guy teacher and the principle got some conflict between them and they got different style of teaching.

Guest kayana20

Super excited and wishing this show the best success. I love discovering new talent in k-drama's. The cast has been good so far hope to see some more amazing scenes.

What's Up Episode 1 (Dec 3, 2011) [ENG]

c: ChannelWhatsUp@youtube | subbing collab project by BIGBANGUpdates & BBVIPForum

Thanx for the link. hopefully they will continue to sub the eps until the end.

Rating for this week eps are up. looks like it went down a bit to 0.339, but so does other shows.

JTBC drama "Queen Insoo" which maintained the 1% rate for a while has now dropped.

According to AGB Nielsen Media Research on the 12th, JTBC drama "Queen Insoo" rated 0.892% of the national average and showed decrease from the episode on the 10th, of 1.064%.

Young In-soo (Ham Eun-jeong) who got married to Do Won-goon (Baek Seong-hyeon) started having conflicts with her mother-in-law Yoon (Kim Mi-Sook).

"Queen Insoo" was the only weekend drama in the general service channel that kept up with more than 1% but it has suddenly dropped within only 4 episodes.

Meanwhile, Channel A weekend drama "Heaven's Garden" 0.792%, MBN weekend drama "Bolder By the Day" and "What's Up" rated 0.505% and 0.339% respectively.

Source : http://news.nate.com/view/20111212n02838

Read more - http://w.po.st/share/entry/redir?publisherKey=www.hancinema.net-488&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.hancinema.net%2Fqueen-insoo-0-892percent--unsteady-1percent-is-over-36212.html&title=%5C%22Queen%20Insoo%5C%22%200.892%25...unsteady%201%25%20is%20over&sharer=copypaste

A bonus pic - What's Up cast attended YG Family 15th Anniversary concert to support Dae Sung

whatsup2.jpg

Source : @limjueun (Lim Ju Eun) & @LimJuHwan (Lim Ju Hwan) & http://www.bigbangupdates.com

Read more: http://www.bigbangupdates.com/2011/12/daesung-with-whats-up-castmates-lim-ju.html#ixzz1gHMnn5FR

Archived