[Drama 2011] What's Up? 왓츠 업

Guest sayroo

thanks for the teaser preview! oh man how I waited for this drama to air. finally I'm hearing some news!

from the preview, it seems like Ju Hwan is the main lead here? :D really good for him to get another drama lead. This boy deserves more drama break =D

already loving the OST!!!!

and Hyuk Sooooooooooo! :D

here's dramabeans's article

http://www.dramabeans.com/2010/11/get-your-first-look-at-musical-drama-whats-up/

We haven’t had much news about the musical-themed drama What’s Up, but the production has just released a four-minute trailer giving us our first real look at the show. And I have to say, I’m pretty impressed with the results; the characters seem well-developed and the cast looks strong.

In the trailer, several students at the university musical department are asked why they decided on their major. Series lead Im Joo-hwan (Tamra the Island) kicks us off with a punchline — it’s because he made a mistake. Contrast that to his nervous, earnest colleague, who declares that being a musical actor “is my destiny.”

You may recognize the opening song; it’s the famous solo from the Jekyll & Hyde musical, and you can hear Jo Seung-woo‘s version here. It was, in fact, a very popular pick among aspiring actors when the drama held its open auditions.

Meanwhile, Daesung seems to be playing an affable sort, which suits his personality; in contrast, I love that Im Joo-eun (Hon) is playing a surly, tough type who retorts to their teacher (musical and television actor Oh Man-seok) she doesn’t care to become a star. Jang Hee-jin (brought in to replace Jeon Hye-jin) looks like the uptight, snooty type who clashes with Im Joo-eun’s laid-back attitude, while lanky model-turned-actor Lee Soo-hyuk is a reclusive genius composer who holds the other students in awe.

Im Joo-hwan’s main character has a few dryly humorous lines sprinkled throughout, such as, “What’s a musical?” He’s the outsider with a cynical take on this world that the others hold so dear, but I’m guessing that he’ll soon discover his own hidden talent, whatever that may be. (Funny enough, that reminds me of Kim Soo-hyun’s character in the similarly-themed Dream High, in that Kim’s character also gets his start for other reasons and then discovers his own skills once he’s part of the school. Even funnier, Kim and Im have long reminded me of each other — both have a similar tall, lanky appearance and strong, intense screen charisma.)

The drama, which still doesn’t have a solid airdate scheduled, is looking at a 2011 premiere

WHAT'S UP TRAILER ENG SUB

http://www.viikii.net/videos/watch/113972/0/what-s-up-zero-plus.html

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest myunaira

I can't wait for this drama! Daesung's here and some familiar faces too! the Kwon twins are here too <3 CAN'T WAITTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT. SO EXCITED FOR THIS DRAMA. I saw somewhere that this drama is going to be under MBC or sth. I forgot where I saw it though.

the trailer looks AMAZING. <3

really can't wait~

i know lots of people are disappointed that dae's not the main character, but he's still a vital part of it.

i'm guessing him, imjoohwan, leehyuksoo & the three girls + the other guy (lol forgot his name) are the main characters. either way, i'm soooooooo psyched!

imjoohwan's character is really intriguing hahaha

and i'm such a fan girl of the writer's dramas~

this is one epic drama i'm definitely going to watch. <3

• 2 weeks later...

BTS of filming reported by YStar News. http://charm-ing.tistory.com/69?srchid=BR1http%3A%2F%2Fcharm-ing.tistory.com%2F69 They seem to be filming a musical. I noticed it is the same song that LJH sang on his fan meeting in Japan. the song is called You and I but I don't know who sang it.

I read from twitter that What's Up is scheduled for a March 2011 broadcast on SBS. I cannot find the right source but earlier Lim JuEun tweeted that the WHat's Up team has something to celebrate and she mentioned all the cast on tweeter. I do hope this is true.

I cannot wait for this drama to air. but I do not want it to air in January because it will clash with Dream High. I am sure What's Up does not need to be scared of Dream High, (no no no no!) but having 2 dramas that centers around music among students? Their target audiences are the same so I do not want the ratings suffer. Ratings is what only matters in Korea nowadays.. and I want this drama to hit it BIG TIME. The cast is EPIC.. with Lim Ju Hwan and Lim Ju Eun in the same drama together?? You got there 2 excellent actors that are THE breakout stars last year. Dae Sung and OH MAN SEOK?? MANZZANG!!! and of course Song Ji Na of KAIST and Sandglass (need I say more) as the writer. I have great expectations of this drama, I just hope the broadcast station promote this drama well and strategically plan their broadcast date against other station.

Lastly, I am really praying and hoping that the broadcast station will not do another Tamra Island and just chopped it like cheap meat. There will be protests and angry mails going over their way all the way from California.

This is another BTS pics of What's Up. I know I've read this same article in English but can't remember now where. All I can find now is this from baidu.. unfortunately it's in Chinese so I can't understand it. Hopefully, there will be a fan here than can help translate.

http://tieba.baidu.com/f?kz=944912434

I feel somehow torn that this drama is still not airing but yet at the same time relieved.. because once this is over.. I got no more drama to spazz about. ^^ What's Up fighting!!

Guest adikkeluangman

BTS photos of Daesung’s “What’s Up” revealed

Big Bang’s Daesung will make his drama debut through “What’s Up“, and behind-the-scenes photos of the leading star were recently revealed.

Producers of the musical drama were said to have been unable to hold back their praise for the young star, particularly since he had to run around the set in short sleeves despite the freezing weather in order to shoot a summer scene.

# “You did well, let’s go again!” Song PD gives instructions to Kang Daesung and Im Ju Hwan.

# A college student asks Daesung for a picture while the set is on break.

# “Let’s see who did the best!” Im Ju Hwan shows off footage he took with his cell phone and laughs with his castmates. “When did we get so good?”

# Kim Ji Won dances to 2NE1’s Park Bom’s “You & I” in the freezing cold. The two immediately dash to the nearest fireplace as soon as Song PD shouts “Cut!”

# The distance between the camera and the actor is being measured.

# As soon as the actors hear “Cut!” they immediately rush to find their jackets. Kang Daesung shouts, “Be careful of colds!” to Kim Jiwon and others.

http://www.allkpop.com/2010/11/bts-photos-of-daesungs-whats-up-revealed

• 4 weeks later...
Guest smilingbb1

I can't wait to watch this Drama. There is still no air date. Hmmm....

Hopefully Daesung will be doing alot of singing as well as acting. The cast looks excellent and well balanced.

Oh btw, the cast of What's Up recently had an Arirang interview. We get a better understanding of what the drama is all about. It has elements of glee and fame. Can't wait.

Drama "What's Up" (왓츠업) [showBiz Extra]

Guyz i just made What's up Official Facebook Fanpage let's support this..

Click This--->>What's up? Fanpage <<----Click this

if you want to apply to become an admin..just PM me here..or in Facebook..thank you so much..

by the way i Am the ADmin of Dream High official Fanpage/Mischievous kiss/Real school/ Rainbow Sweetheart..

this is my 5th fanpage that i made...Hope you'll also support this fanpage thank you so much..

Guest adikkeluangman

Big Bang’s Daesung meets with Japanese fans at the set of ‘What’s Up’

On December 18th, Big Bang’s Daesung made his way to Chungkang College of Cultural Industries, where approximately 100 of his Japanese fans got to meet their favorite idol. On top of it all, they were filmed as extras for Daesung’s upcoming drama, “What’s Up“!

Afterwards, the idol expressed, “The Japanese fans who came all the way to my film set just to give their warm love and interest gave me in turn a lot of strength, and it will be a shoot I’ll never forgot. I will definitely repay their love through good acting.”

‘What’s Up’, which features other actors including Im Joo Hwan and Jang Hee Jin, is set to broadcast in the beginning half of 2011.

http://www.allkpop.com/2010/12/big-bangs-daesung-meets-with-japanese-fans-at-the-set-of-whats-up

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

With the popularity of Dream High, I wonder if the production crew is pressured for What's Up to match Dream High's surprising success.

• 4 weeks later...

so it is confirmed now that this drama will be aired next march rite???

relieved that finally they have set the date. 

i've been waiting this drama since last year...

rolleyes.gifrolleyes.gif

Guest adikkeluangman

Daesung’s “What’s Up” drama to begin airing next month

Big Bang’s Daesung will finally make his small screen debut on March 21st through the musical drama, “What’s Up“!

On February 15th, producers of the show revealed that the series will be airing after SBS’s “Paradise Ranch” in the 9:00 PM KST time slot.

The drama is based on the true story of a musical class at the Chungkang College of Cultural Industries and aims to feature the dreams, passions, and love stories of the young musical majors. The drama has already received widespread attention because it’s both Daesung’s small screen debut, and is the work of writer Song Jina.

Daesung will be seen with his castmates Im Ju Hwan, Im Ju Eun, Jang Hee Jin, Lee Soo Hyuk and many other young rookie actors. Since they’re playing the role of 20-something theatre aspirants, each cast member received strict vocal and dance training for six months in preparation for their respective roles.

Currently, the drama has completed about 90% of its total filming after beginning last July.

http://www.allkpop.com/2011/02/daesungs-whats-up-drama-to-begin-airing-next-month

Archived