Anime/Manga/Manhwa recommendations thread

Admin

If you haven't already, go and watch Grave of the Fireflies.

Prepare some tissues while your at it because you'll definitely need it.

some tissues? >< I was upset for a couple days after I watched it. I know some people aren't affected by it, so maybe I'm just extra-sensitive. >_< That time was sad to begin with.

does anyone have any recommendations for anime movies? just like a one time movie, not a series or anything.

I kind of liked Tokyo Godfathers. And I love Studio Ghibili. Some of Miyazaki Hayao's movies already recommended by weird&short-- and Princess Mononoke (Mononoke Hime) is good too--and I also like Nausicaa.

Mel--is that Zero in your avatar??

Guest Joanne <3

Has anybody heard of the manhwa "Your Lover" by Seungwon Han? I was reading the blurb and some of the first pages quickly in the library today and I'm wondering if anybody recommends it (so I can put it on my to-read list, haha) :). It didn't seem too bad when I checked out the blurb, but someone reviewed it on this site for 5/10, lol. If you're curious, this is the link:

http://lincolnbookfest.bookcrossing.com/journal/6030875

I have to admit though, it was quite a slow beginning... a little dull, but had somewhat of an interesting storyline to keep me reading.

Guest ♫REESE

• One Piece

One Piece does a lot of things right, more so than most mangas out there.
    A story based on adventures, dreams and friendship.

If you're ever in search for a nice long series One Piece is the series for you.
    At first glance, One Piece may seem a little off to most people,
    however, as you progress though the series, I guarantee you'll grow to love it.

One Piece proves to maintain a solid and unpredictable plot for over 10 years (and counting),
    with many wacky moments that leaves you laughing, dramatic and emotional
    scenes that leaves you in awe and in tears.

- Reese

hmm, i watched a lot of anime this weekend, but i can't remember a lot of them..

Unique (: Like Samurai Champloo-y unique.

i like action and comedy (and romance, i guess~) but if it's a tearjerker and not your average plot (or... it can be, as long as there's a twist to it :D), go right ahead and introduce me to it ;)

oh, and the art = nice? it doesn't have to be CLAMP-nice, but... understandable nice. the guys don't have to be hot or anything though.

-spark

Recent? Vampire Knight? though lately it's boring me out with the "seriousness" and the tears... yawn.. but like I mentioned.. Code Geass is an awesome anime to check out.

I haven't been watching anime for a while...so my recommendation would be a bit older... Trigun has an awesome mix of comedy and action. Fumoffu (a spinoff of Full metal panic) is hilarious... i didn't even finsh FMP and still loved this series.

Full metal alchemist has a great balance of action and comedy

MythnoonA yup it's zero.. I love how sad/depressed he looks here...

Guest i'kogimaruCHA

Recent? Vampire Knight? though lately it's boring me out with the "seriousness" and the tears... yawn.. but like I mentioned.. Code Geass is an awesome anime to check out.

I haven't been watching anime for a while...so my recommendation would be a bit older... Trigun has an awesome mix of comedy and action. Fumoffu (a spinoff of Full metal panic) is hilarious... i didn't even finsh FMP and still loved this series.

Full metal alchemist has a great balance of action and comedy

oo, yay! (: i tried watching vampire knight, but i agree with you

the manga seemed much better for me >///<

i haven't watched code geass and fumoffu yet, but i heard about them (i forgot to try themm!!) so thank you<3

oooo

trigun. =) i need to rewatch that :) the first time i watched it was at my cousin's house and i remember we stayed up allll nightt to finish watching i. that was a longgg time ago so i don't remember the plot

thank you for the recommendations (:

-spark

• 2 weeks later...
Guest adikkeluangman

Can anyone recommend me manga with story that have singer. I have read one but I forgoT the title. It goes like this girl had one childhood friend and without her knowledge this boy actually the famous pop idol that she likes so much. Another one that I found was Chocolat [manhwa]. I love it so much but the scanlation had stop until 6 Volume. Lurve the writers too coz they are fangod. he he he..

Guest bedethuong12000

can someone recomment few mangas that is romance and about school life.

Skip beat is too long so i dont really have that much patient to read all of it. lol

Guest t0ya

can anyone recommend me a mecha anime..

somewat like gundam seed..

Code Geass is already in my list but im searching for more..

i also like some gangster fighting anime..

somewat like tenjo tenge..

and also somewat like deathnote..

Guest hungrycollegeboy

For mecha anime, I would recommend Eureka 7. It's pretty good, but I haven't finished it myself.

And then there's Tengo Toppan Guerren Lagun (spelling). EPIC is the only word to describe this anime.

A gangster fighting anime... Maybe you can try History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi.

An anime that comes close to Deathnote would be Monster.

Guest heyitzthatfc

I don't necessarily know what makes a "gangster fighting anime" but you can try Great Teacher Onizuka. That guys the most gangster you can get.

I'm recommending 3 mangas that I would read over and over again because there's so much to pick up from them.

Eternal Sabbath by Fuyumi Soryo. Wow. She's really grown with this series and the suspense--the intrigue is so strong. It ended well, personally more satisfying than Deathnote (another great series). It's truly a sci fi series about humanity--how utterly grotesque as well as beautiful it is. The artwork is amazing as always. It's definitely worth the buy. The series is short too, wrapping up in 8 action packed, mindblowing books.

Angel Densetu is so great (I never would have guessed it was the same author of Claymore that wrote it). It's hilarious. There's so much great comedic timing and even though the art style isn't one that you like right away, after a few chapters, it doesn't matter. To me, it was very epic but not. The misconceptions just flew out of control making it so damn amusing. Highly highly recommended. I probably laughed the hardest in my life reading this manga because I rooted for the legend to become greater and greater. Fantastic. It takes the typical high school setting and really plays with it. Zany and beautiful characters that are both predictable and ridiculous. It makes me want to have an evil face.

The final recommendation for today is BECK: Mongolian Chop Squad. I always wanted to read this but it didn't really appeal to me at first because of the slow pace in the beginning and I knew next to nothing about the makings of a rock band. But I heard the Beat Crusader songs for it and loved the melodies so I decided to go for it and read the manga. I'm impressed--I'm blown away. It had me laughing, at the edge of my seat in anticipation and up in arms over the unjustness of the world. I can't wait to finish it. I feel like the journey has only begun, even after so many damn books. The feel of the manga is so different from others because it's infused in the classic American rock music. Harold Sakuishi did something amazing with this series. He really did. The detail, the coming of age, the failures and successes--he captured it all so well.

Guest luriel

TENGEN TOPPA GURREN LAGAAN

it's one awesome anime...

it really teaches u to never doubt urself

always believe

never give up

and determination is the key to success :D

i found it really inspirational

and i LOVED it :)

Truth.

My favorite anime thus so far, like how Evangelion symbolised anime in the 1990's, Gurren Lagann is the Eva of 2000's. C:

Nice music, video quality (one of the early HD-widescreen animes), comical, and most of all, EPIC.

+ I loooved adult Simon before his GAR levels exceeded 9000. :wub:

Oh, and Gundam Seed [/Destiny], Code Geass, Death Note, AIR blahblahblah. x_x

Mafia animes are cool too -> Baccano. :D

Guest msmilkt

Can anyone recommend me an anime that`s action .. with an intense romance as well .. ahAhahahas!!!

something like ...... Kenshin and Sailor Moon? =D

in general, i prefer anime with a lot of action and impact (like, FMA, Code Geass, Hunter x Hunter) but i feel like watching something with a bit of romance, it`s been a while since i`ve watched anything romantic =]P

THANKS!!

Guest defeatedstar

Can anyone recommend me an anime that`s action .. with an intense romance as well .. ahAhahahas!!!

something like ...... Kenshin and Sailor Moon? =D

in general, i prefer anime with a lot of action and impact (like, FMA, Code Geass, Hunter x Hunter) but i feel like watching something with a bit of romance, it`s been a while since i`ve watched anything romantic =]P

THANKS!!

Errr. It's a manga, but its farely intense and the romance is pretty darn HOT.

Kill Me, Kiss Me.

You can read it at mangafox.com

^^

check it out, it starts a bit slow but the series is awesome

Guest defeatedstar

OK So. I used to be quite the manga freak ( I've got a lot of phases - japanese music, krn music, manga, anime, k dramas,etc. altho i still <3 them all.) Anyway, heres some mangas recommended for those who haven't read any and wanna try it out ^^

Adorable/make you laugh out loud/romance/cute art yeah you get my drift. NOT CHEESY. This is probably one of my fav categories because it just makes you feel great when you read. NOTE AGAIN. NOT CHEESY (most of the time :])

-Beauty Pop - read it. you won't regret it. unless you like darkgoth emo stuff.

-Kodomo no Omocha- ditto to the top, it's the manga that got me hooked to manga ^^ although it may be a bit childish for some of you..

-Anti-Gravity Boy- it sounds lame,but give it a shot. It's a short one, so you wont have to go crazy tryin to finish :]

-Akuma De Sourou - the art's not really my style, but the story and characters are ADORABLE puahaa. not to mention the main guy is hott.

-Lovely Complex- This one is sooo original. It's adorable. Tall girl + Short guy + same personalities + height issues + awesome art + adorable plot + cute friends = <3

- good morning call - cutsie.

Gokinjo Monogatari AND PARADISE KISS.

READ.

READ.

READ.

READ.

READ.

YOU WILL LOVE.

ZOMG.

sorry spazzed a bit. yeah i really really REALLY enjoyed those. These two are about real life. Gokinjo Monogatari is the prequel and its about following your goals and the love will come. It's amazing. The second one is about love and how lifes not fair; it's bittersweet. I especially loved paradise kiss because of the reality thats in it. It shows love at its best and its worst.

so read it.

you bored people out there just skimming the internet... READ IT

WWW.MANGAFOX.COM

CLASSIC CROSS DRESSER these are some of my personal favorites :]

- Ouran Host Club - This one was awesome, but somewhere around the newest chapters it's getting a bit err. ew. like wtf happened ew. but still, great read.

- Hana Kimi - Can we get a BEST CROSS DRESSER MANGA EVERRR <3 sano is love.

- W-Juliet- love the plot, hate the art. if you're like me and are really picky about art, err. yeah. LOL

- girl got game - basketball! this one's another cross dresser. i guess ill put it in both categories sport and cross dresser.

Sport Mangas - my secret love. You have no idea. If you love that intense feeling where you're actually like cheering for the players in the story, check these out if you haven't already.

- Prince of Tennis - <3

- Eyeshield 21 - Football manga. Damned intense.

- Crimsom Hero - volleyball!

- Airgear - uh. airgear. this ones more errr mature i guess. there's some yeah. sexual innuendos and huggee boobs, but otherwise its awesome.

- girl got game - basketball! this one's another cross dresser. i guess ill put it in both categories sport and cross dresser.

ok yeah theres more but im out of time, so i'll come back to edit later!

<3

hope this helps

Guest JunRi<3

can someone recomment few mangas that is romance and about school life.

Skip beat is too long so i dont really have that much patient to read all of it. lol

Ohohoho. I recommend Koukou Debut! I really just read it today, but I finished it in one sitting. Okay it's not complete yet, but I love it hahaha.

http://www.onemanga.com/Koukou_Debut/

Not sure if you'll like it, but it pertains to highschool romance x comedy

Haha @ Defeatedstar, I see you're still a manga lover

Guest quepapas

Could anyone recommend me some manga / anime / live action about sport and not much romantic things going on? Like Prince Of Tennis, Tsubasa and Teppi?

Thanks a bunch.