Anime/Manga/Manhwa recommendations thread

Admin

Looking for some recommendations~

I would like ones that give a similar feel. deep physiological, mystery*, romance + (has to have romance) :D

It can be tragedy too. :)

Thanks

for a full length manga/anime try:

eternal sabbath (or ES) http://www.mangafox.com/manga/eternal_sabbath/

i think it's exactly what you're looking for. it has some supernatural/sci-fi stuff which i hope you don't mind. unlike most of my other recommendations i have for you, it's pretty much immersed in romance. like the way afterschool 's characters, it is through their love that each characters learn to change and grow. but there is more psychological and action added to it.

spiral: the bonds of reasoning http://www.mangafox.com/manga/spiral_suiri_no_kizuna/

regarding romance (since you seemed to emphasize it) the plot isn't driven by it. although the romantic scenes between the main characters as well as the side characters exist, it's never developed full out. the story starts out with a detective conan feel with mystery cases one after another and then it really starts revolving around one singular mystery on the disappearance of the main character's ingenius, "godlike" brother and the secrets of "blade children." it's a story with a lot of twists and it's somewhat tragedy (i think this point is debatable). I didn't cry, but there were definitely scenes where I was left sort of dazed..

the downside to this manga were the artwork (b/c i like more realistic art for these stories) but that actually received 10/10 in most reviews i've seen so it's probably just my preference and the author takes some time getting into the plot which kinda got annoying. but once the plot starts rolling, it's hard to put it down. and if you really liked it, there's also a prequel called spiral: alive i think but i haven't read it so iono much about it.

trace <-- incomplete http://www.mangafox.com/manga/trace/

there are people with special powers called "trace" who could defeat these monsters.. the "traces" could be either born or they could later get it through some sort of mutation. but as the story moves along, government (and hence corruption) gets involved... this is really interesting b/c there is no one real main character. each "arc" has a different main character but they are all tied under the same plot so eventually, you know that they'll all meet since the main characters from each arc comes out in other arcs but as a bypasser or something. and b/c each "arc" doesn't really end but leaves a cliff hanger. the first story definitely has romance (and it's my favorite out of the three "arcs" so far) the second arc deals with family relationships and third one.. i'm not done so no idea. but i think friends? but since they are all interconnected, the first story characters will definitely come back (which i'm really happy about! :])

the only downside to this is style. it's not arranged so that you read it vertically (so scroll all the way down!!) it takes a while to get used to it. and maybe the art? it's different from what i'm used to, but i was ok with the art.

two maybe's

fate/stay night (maybe) http://www.mangafox.com/manga/fate_stay_night/

i haven't tried the manga series so iono what that's like but the anime series is fantastic. i don't think it's really psychological. contains a lot of action. mystery is there and romance most definitely. it's been awhile since i've seen this series so i don't remember much of it -- just that i really enjoyed it throughly without complaints. (which is somewhat amazing lol)

zodiac PI (maybe)

i can't believe i forgot about it!! ok this is one of my favorites b/c the art is just adorable. (not the main characters but these chibi side characters). and it's only four volumes so that was cool too :]. it's about a girl who solves mysteries with a help of a zodiac ring (or something like that) and it basically summons up chibi-zodiac kids (they have adorable personalities!!! lolol) that give clues and help her "find the way to truth" oh and she has a hot, genius guy sidekick who helps her often too. he has an allergic reaction to girls when they touch him (lololololol). it's not psychological at all. tragedy.... depends on the mystery but the overall feel is not. so it's only if you're looking for a light-hearted reading.

can anyone recommend me some good detective anime?

i've seen detective conan, deathnote and tantei gakuen q.

to be honest, most of these, i've read it as a manga but i think since the storyline are probably the same, it would be still good.:

Psychometrer Eiji haha i didn't know this was an anime series. but you'll probably like it. hope you don't mind a bit of supernatural stuff since the main character is a psychometrer (so he could get images in his mind which are clues to catching the suspect when he touches an object from the crime scene). oh and possibly gruesome visuals. i wouldn't eat while watching. (i was disgusted and i was reading the manga.. )

multiple personality detective psycho (also MPD psycho): read the manga series but anime exists too. oh iono where to begin about this one. it's soooo confusing. the plot slightly reminds me of spiral b/c the main mystery is that there are serial killers going around the city and the common thing that all these serial killers have is a barcode in their left eyeball. the main character has a multiple personality disorder. so depending on which personality he takes, he's a killer, a psycho or a detective. the main character reminds me of Hannibal Lecter from the films, hannibal and silence of the lambs.. slightly disturbing visuals.. but a good series.

spiral : the bonds of reasoning (look above for my rambles)

eternal sabbath (or ES) maybeeee. you can look above for my rambling. it's not your typical detective story. but it evolves around mystery so maybe....??

can anyone recommend something with the genre:

School life

romance

comedy

No supernatural or scifi stuff

Also I have this anime at home but it is in vietnamese and I did't buy the whole thing and I was wondering if anyone would happen to know the japanese or english name. The anime is about yo-yo's like the little kids "battle" and do competitions with them.

^

definitely try:

dengeki daisy <-- this one is really hyped about so you just need to turn a few pages to see other people's raves. and the manga is true to the raves. i went in with really high expectations and it did exceed it. i think it's one of the best school life/romance mangas out there.

kodocha this one is a classic. i love this one to bits. and it's short. i've read it wayy to many times for my own good >< the anime was way too bubbly for me but i liked the manga lots and lots

i took the rest of the recommendations out b/c i found better ones lolol. put it on another post though.

Guest NO NAME?

Also I have this anime at home but it is in vietnamese and I did't buy the whole thing and I was wondering if anyone would happen to know the japanese or english name. The anime is about yo-yo's like the little kids "battle" and do competitions with them.
Sounds like Chosoku Spinner / Super Yoyo.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encycloped...ime.php?id=1276

School life

romance

comedy

I'm not sure if you're looking for an anime or manga, but most of these anime come from manga =)

Lovely Complex - about a high school couple who have to deal with the ups and downs of their relationship and it's SUPER funny. I found it odd that the girl was taller at first, but it really grows on you later ^^

Ouran high School Host Club - the manga has more romance (the anime hints at it) but it's DEFINITELY hilarious and really cute ^^

Fruits Basket - my FAVOURITE manga of all times ^O^ it's one of the best out there in terms of romance and high school. It's more drama than comedy (altho the beginning is very light and comedic) but I highly recommend it if you like romance/drama!

--xoxo.

TM

Guest meimei__KOUSEKI

Anyone who's interested in some not your ordinary, contemporary (with some pinches of history or myth) anime, go watch Durarara!! on your favorite anime-watching/downloading sites. It's got awesome action and awesome characters and from the same person who brought us Baccano. If you haven't watched that one too, please watch it as well.

I don't want to spoil but... headless bikers, crazy people, JUN FUKUYAMA AND HIROSHI KAMIYA.

School life

romance

comedy

oh i forgot to mention... lol. i just realized these are probably closer to what you're looking for (and better.. not including kodocha, dengeki daisy).

hmm they are basically all about high school relationships and finding love. so the stories are centered around romance and comedy and how the characters grow as they find love. i think they are all pretty much light-hearted comedy.

monkey high (complete)

it reminds me kinda of lovely complex in that they are SO different. but that's what makes them so compatible. it's "monkey high" b/c the guy character's nickname is a monkey (he acts like one sometimes. lololol. he's really cute, sociable, outgoing and super short. he's like a little brother that you want to have lol) and like the girl character is really mature, stand-offish in a way but when they come together, they are really cutee

strobe edge (incomplete)

about a girl who is completely oblivious to what love is and then learns to figure out what love is when she finds a guy that she falls for.. it sounds like every other manga out there right? but the character interactions and characters are really different! for once, the guy isn't a jerk. and the girl isn't clingy or whiny. (i think she cries a lot, but for some reason it doesn't bug me as much as other characters) i started yesterday and ended up finishing however much it was uploaded to..

devil and her love song (incomplete)

the main girl's character is so different from the usual. i can't describe what it is, except the fact that she's really cool, someone who, if they were real in life, i would admire.

Can anyone suggest a manga that has lots of romance? Also the drawings have to be pretty I know it's a bit childish but I hate manga with ugly drawings. I love the artwork for Absolute Boyfriend and Fushigi Yuugi Genbu Kaiden.

Something not too long would be nice since I want to read over the break. Thanks in advance^^

Another recommendation!!! OMG. This is soooooo goood. *2 thumbs up*

Coming from the mangaka who did Boku wa Imouto ni Koiwosuru and Boku no Hatsukoi wo Kimi ni Sasagu, Aoki Kotomi is back again with writing such deep, dark and mysterious love story that will totally swoon you again!!! ~_^ Kanojo wa Uso wo Aishisugiteru (Sweetheart, I lied about loving you) http://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=36709.

The end of chapter 1 will make you sooo hooked up to it. To summarize what's this manga is all about, here's a quote that really defined this manga:

"When we started going out back then, I didn't love you at all. Not one bit. It was just a lie"

.... AND I fell in love with the story now!!!! Only 3 chapters are out + 1 prologue but every chapter was cliffhanger. ohh I can't wait to see more.

Aoki Kotomi is just sooo good with catchy phrase.

Boku no Hatsukoi wo Kimi ni Sasagu: "In my 8th summer, I made the worst promise, A promise I wouldn't be able to keep."

Boku wa Imouto ni Koiwosuru: "Tonight, we are committing taboo"

and now this "I didn't love you at all" like wooo! ^^

Psychometrer Eiji haha i didn't know this was an anime series. but you'll probably like it. hope you don't mind a bit of supernatural stuff since the main character is a psychometrer (so he could get images in his mind which are clues to catching the suspect when he touches an object from the crime scene). oh and possibly gruesome visuals. i wouldn't eat while watching. (i was disgusted and i was reading the manga.. )

multiple personality detective psycho (also MPD psycho): read the manga series but anime exists too. oh iono where to begin about this one. it's soooo confusing. the plot slightly reminds me of spiral b/c the main mystery is that there are serial killers going around the city and the common thing that all these serial killers have is a barcode in their left eyeball. the main character has a multiple personality disorder. so depending on which personality he takes, he's a killer, a psycho or a detective. the main character reminds me of Hannibal Lecter from the films, hannibal and silence of the lambs.. slightly disturbing visuals.. but a good series.

It's been years since I've watched anime. I remember reading those two series as manga. Are they done yet?

------------

Also, could someone recommend some anime to me? I haven't watched anything in years. Some series I enjoyed:

Cowboy Bebop

Full Metal Panic: Fumoffu

Full Metal Alchemist (at least the 1st half)

Yakitate! Japan

Samurai Champloo

Midori no Hibi

Azumanga Daioh (It's cute, but it's a bit slow)

I like comedy, action, romance comedies, and epic adventures.

Things I don't like:

Action animes with characters who have retarded fighting strategies whose strength based on power levels (e.g. DBZ, Bleach, Trinity Blood)

Dumb characters in general ... unless it's comedy

Exceptional slow anime

Yaoi (I'm a guy)

-----------------

Based on that, could I get some recommendations for newer anime series.

Thanks!

Guest Autumn1430263885

hi guys. i haven't watched an anime in a pretty long time so i'm looking for some recommendations.

can anyone reccemend something like sugar sugar rune? i watched that a while ago and i really liked the plot. LOL so now i feel like watching something similar.. like fanatsy/adventure. btw i've already watched gakuen alice, which i enjoyed too =)

it doesn't have to be a kiddy one either, as long as it's adventure/fantasy or action =D

as for my reccemendations, i reccemend checking out switch girl it's a really cute and funny (hillarious) manga, i love the gyaru styles it has :D:D the concept is like kare kano except more a 'hip and refreshing' version. (i found kare kano extremely boring)

http://www.mangafox.com/manga/switch_girl/

hi guys. i haven't watched an anime in a pretty long time so i'm looking for some recommendations.

can anyone reccemend something like sugar sugar rune? i watched that a while ago and i really liked the plot. LOL so now i feel like watching something similar.. like fanatsy/adventure. btw i've already watched gakuen alice, which i enjoyed too =)

it doesn't have to be a kiddy one either, as long as it's adventure/fantasy or action =D

as for my reccemendations, i reccemend checking out switch girl it's a really cute and funny (hillarious) manga, i love the gyaru styles it has :D:D the concept is like kare kano except more a 'hip and refreshing' version. (i found kare kano extremely boring)

Sugar Sugar Rune was awesome~ I just didn't like the pairing at the end but that's okay. Also, when I was watching it all the episodes hadn't been subbed. (Gakuen Alice= <3 too)

Anyways, I recommend Mahou Shoujo Tai Arusu because its about witches but I haven't seen it myself. The animation just looks totally cool!

Also Soul Eater is an AWESOME anime full of adventure/fantasy and action. I actually saw this one and looved it.

Sugar Sugar Rune reminds me the most of Ojamajo Doremi which was a really cute anime but is kiddy. :)

Other Animes

A Little Snow Fairy Called Sugar: Fantasy/Adventure with a Drama side to it. Its really cute, it gets really sentimental at some parts. I really loved it.

Cardcaptors: lol You probably heard of it but just in case you haven't ^^

Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne and Saint Tail: Both are about magical transformations, school girls by day and robin hood like thieves at night. Drama side to it? And Romance too.

Magic Knights Rayearth By Clamp. Magic, Adventure, and Action. I thought it was okay but it fits your three wanted genres exactly. :)

Please Save My Earth: Definitely fantasy, some adventure too. But very dramatic and romantic but I looved the story. I loooved the plot. Its one of my classic FAVES!

Rave Master Action, Adventure, and Magic. I really enjoyed it but the only bad thing is that the anime stops and doesn't end the story line. :/ Also, by the same mangaka, the Fairy Tail anime recently came out.

Can anyone suggest a manga that has lots of romance? Also the drawings have to be pretty I know it's a bit childish but I hate manga with ugly drawings. I love the artwork for Absolute Boyfriend and Fushigi Yuugi Genbu Kaiden.

Something not too long would be nice since I want to read over the break. Thanks in advance^^

Here are a few that's off the top of my head...

Moe Kare: A little smut but very cute and has a love triange that isn't awkward or forced ^^ It's all romance and the artwork is beautiful

Watashi ni xx Shinasai: (I think the title may be a little off)... it's not finished but the story is SO CUTE and really unique =) Artwork is also really good and I love the mangaka ^^

Fruits Basket: It's not ALL romance but it's about 70% of it I'd say... there's like 10% family, 10% drama and 10% slice-of-life but it's VERY good and probably the best shoujo manga I've read =) Or the best overall hehe* HIGHLY recommended.

--xoxo.

TM

Guest Stolen_waters

Here are a few that's off the top of my head...

Watashi ni xx Shinasai: (I think the title may be a little off)... it's not finished but the story is SO CUTE and really unique =) Artwork is also really good and I love the mangaka ^^

--xoxo.

TM

Although I'm really thankful you recommended that, I'm so hating myself for starting an unfinished manga again! lol

But it was really cute! I need spoilers! lol I like Kitami, but there's something really sexy about Akira.

Definitely one of the funniest mangas I've ever read! lol Can't wait for updates!

Guest Autumn1430263885

cutiek028 -thanks for the list of suggestions! i've already seen some of those but i think i'll check out A Little Snow Fairy Called Sugar, rave master and please save my earth :)

Guest Fallenskies~

One of the good manga I've read recently...

Love so life!

Its about a girl who lives in an orphanage cuz her parents died and she aspires to open a nursery oneday so she works in one part-time. Two kids that she really loves that goes to the nursery are being raised by their uncle who is a young and good looking tv reporter who cant handle the twins and so hires her to take care of them during the day when he saw how well she got along with them. The twins mother had dies and their dad ran away and left them with his brother (tv reporter) i

Its really quite good! It's not typical to the point where its annoying

(I srsly dislike shoujos like that, i've read too many i guess)

The Wallflower ( Perfect girl evolution):

I have watched the anime and i HIGHLY recommend the manga. Theres alot of things that the anime misses (understandable because animes for series unlike naruto, bleach, onepiece etc.. are usually complete before the manga is so meh.) It's really funny not too cliche and quite a satisfying read. I'd like to say though, it might seem a bit daunting to start reading cuz theres loads of chapters, but trust me if you start you wont stop. The manga art is abit different, and ive known some people who are very picky about that so im saying that you might possibly not like the art...(but this is problably 'okay')

Good anime:

Witchblade

I have to say first though this anime is probably aimed at guys who have a thing for oversized boobs. HOWEVER! if you over look it ( like i did) its a really good story. The plot is amazing! Its makes you laugh, cry and wonder. Its completed and its not too long so you dont have to worry about spending your whole life trying to catch up to it. The ending is truly beautiful and the concept is really cool and its not too unrealistic (except for the boobs..). The story is about a mother and her daughter who survived a quake that hit tokyo and submerged alot of it underwater. the mother had forgotten everything about her self before the quake and gained consciousness with her 'daughter' in her arms. she also finds a weird bracelet on her arm that cant be taken off.

Spice & Wolf

Amazing Amazing! I really love this series the story line again, is really interesting. But, there are alot of business terms that can confuse you and at times you might not understand what happens (that happened to me a few times) but other than that its a really nice anime its really funny and has kept me on the edge of my seat numerous times, it also has serious moments at appropriate times and is well rounded.

the story is about a trader who meets the wolf god of harvest in human form and asks him to bring her to her homeland because she feels that no one appreciates her because farmers have found a way to control their crops growth.

cutiek028 -thanks for the list of suggestions! i've already seen some of those but i think i'll check out A Little Snow Fairy Called Sugar, rave master and please save my earth :)

Yaay! Three of my favorites~ I really really enjoyed them all. Tell me how you like them! :)

Although I'm really thankful you recommended that, I'm so hating myself for starting an unfinished manga again! lol

But it was really cute! I need spoilers! lol I like Kitami, but there's something really sexy about Akira.

Haha! I'm glad you like it so much =) Ya it's terribly addicting and it sucks that it's only monthly issues =(

I'm sure the manga won't be like 100 chapters long though... maybe around 40 (since the mangaka's stories are usually that long) ^^

P.S. I love Kitami! I think Akira is a little too awkward sometimes for me but I appreciate his assertiveness =P

--xoxo.

TM

Guest airuko

I picked up a rec from here earlier (Monster by Naoki Urasawa) and I really liked it, especially the art style.

Can anyone recommend me some anime/manga (pref manga) that have themes such as horror/thriller, twisted/convoluted plots, and/or deeper meaning/morals?

Aside from Monster I also enjoyed Petshop of Horrors... yeah I haven't read too many mangas. XD;

I'm also looking for anime/mangas that have more realistic art styles while still maintaining an interesting/decent story... For example, Paranoia Agent - I adooore the art!

Thanks ahead of time. ^^