Quantcast
rubie

[Movie 2010] I Saw The Devil 악마를 보았다

Disclaimer: basic gist guessed from online translator by EverythingLBH, any correction is highly appreciated

April 30, 2010

I SAW THE DEVIL

Choi Min Sik vs Lee Byung Hun, a horrifying confrontation

201004301723462300_1.jpg

[OSEN News] The currently filming of Kim Ji Woon's action noir in the midst of the last production shoot has prevailed a gruesome action scene from main actors Choi Min Sik and Lee Byung Hun's latest confrontation. As the two top-notch actors engage in bloody action scenes together, the media high expectations are rising more than usual.

Lee Byung Hun who plays the character a man tragically losing his fiancee expresses an awful vengeance and revenge to the brutal pyschopath played by Choi Min Sik. The anger-inflicted confrontation between Choi Min Sik and Lee Byung Hun showed a frightening level of intense acting which also affected the production staff and director with a feeling of unable to breathe. A official from 'I Saw the Devil' production commented that the confrontation scenes have been really intense and almost too real than just fiction.

The collaboration of the internationally well-known method actor Choi Min Sik and immense talent of Lee Byung Hun whose previous Korean movie was the 6.86 million box-office 'The Good, the Bad, the Weird' also directed by Dir. Kim Ji Woon have been garnering an increasingly high expectations both in Korea as well as global movie interest.

'I Saw the Devil' is set for a 2010 summer release.

Credits: crystal@osen.co.kr l news.nate.com

koream.gif

May 7, 2010

An Interview With Kim Ji-woon,

director of The Good, the Bad, the Weird

Author: KoreAm Posted: May 7th, 2010thumbup.gif

His lawless Manchurian terrain makes its way to American theaters

cul-intro-0510-filmmaker.jpg

Nearly two years after Kim Ji-woon’s The Good, the Bad, the Weird became a hit at the Korean box office, the multi-genre-weaving director’s kimchi western has earned a United States release. An homage to Italian filmmaker Sergio Leone’s classic, The Good, the Bad and the Ugly, Kim’s action flick follows the quest of three resolute gunslingers on the hunt for hidden treasure in the lawless terrains of 1930s Manchuria. Starring Song Kang-ho, Lee Byung-hun and Jung Woo-sung, it premiered at the Cannes Film Festival in 2008.

At the moment, director Kim is busy with two new projects: a thriller starring Choi Min-sik and Lee Byung-hun called I Saw a Devil (to be released in the summer) and his American debut, Max, a French noir-influenced crime picture that will begin shooting in Philadelphia this winter. While on set for I Saw a Devil in Korea, Kim spoke to KoreAm (in Korean) about his past and present works.

Your 2003 film, A Tale of Two Sisters, is both the highest-grossing Korean horror film and the first to be screened in American theaters. What were your thoughts on its 2009 American remake?

Uninvited was made in a very American way. It still attempted to achieve some sort of a twist, making it stand out compared to other teen horror films. The only problem I had was how the portrayal of ghosts was interpreted. I don’t think that’s the production’s fault, but there’s just a difference in the general public’s perceptions on a subject.

What’s I Saw a Devil about?

It’s a thriller about a serial killer (Choi Min-sik) murdering a man’s (Lee Byung-hun) fiancée. A character chases after a devil-like figure, and he himself ends up somewhat like the devil. Choi Min-sik first brought up the idea last summer, and asked me if I could direct it.

The vibe sounds different from The Good, the Bad, the Weird.

My films, more often than not, emphasize a genre’s characteristics. The Good, the Bad, the Weird, for example, covers a sub-genre of Western films popularly known as “spaghetti westerns,” which was uncommon in Korean cinema.

Were there other Korean versions of Western films in the past?

When the genre was popular in the ’60s and ’70s, every country had its own interpretation. In Korea, there were a couple films that were set in Manchuria with Western features. One of the films that inspired me the most was Break The Chain by Lee Man-hui. The Good, the Bad, the Weird is a mix between Sergio Leone’s spaghetti western style and early-’70s Korean action films.

Lee Byung-hun plays “The Bad.” I thought your work with him for A Bittersweet Life was amazing. The stylized gun scenes in that film reminded me of John Woo flicks.

Thank you. In Korea, it’s uncommon to have that much usage of guns in films. As a result, many actors from Korea romanticize roles that stylishly use guns. And for A Bittersweet Life, instead of Hong Kong noir, French noir influenced me. It was interesting because many French people, after they saw the film, said that Lee Byung-hun reminded them of the French actor Alain Delon.

What was the atmosphere like on the set?

Since Song Kang-ho was the sunbae (senior), he displayed leadership and other actors followed. On the sets of Korean films, there are these familial bonds among the actors and staff. We did face some tough conditions in the Gobi Desert though. We were hit by several giant sandstorms. Remember the sandstorms in [American 1999 film] The Mummy? We were hit with the real-life versions of those.

The American release of The Good, the Bad, The Weird, from IFC Films, will roll out in cities nationwide throughout May. For screening dates and times, please visit www.ifcfilms.com.

Credits: iamkoream.com

I SAW THE DEVIL 악마를 보았다 2010

One of a Kind Thriller by Kim Jee Woon

sawdevil_1.jpg

August 10, 2010

CLASH OF FIRE-LIKE MADNESS AND ICE-LIKE LUNACY
By HAN Sunhee cinematoday

According to director KIM Jee-woon, I Saw the Devil is “a film that talks of a clash between fire-like madness and ice-like lunacy.” Directing a total of five feature films starting from The Quiet Family to The Good, The Bad, The Weird, KIM had each time challenged himself to a different genre. Now for his sixth film, he has chosen a cold-blooded thriller. The screenplay written by PARK Hun-jeong, who also wrote The Unjust and directed The Showdown, was first suggested to KIM Jee-woon through actor CHOI Min-sik (Old Boy). The rumor had spread fast it will be the most horrible and cruel story in Korean film history as far as ‘violence’ goes. As it was announced that the leading role will be played by CHOI Min-sik and LEE Byung-hun, the film instantly drew much attention from in and out of the country.

'Fire-like madness' from the film is the serial killer Gyeongcheol played by CHOI Min-sik, while 'ice-like lunacy' is Su-hyeon, National Intelligence Service agent played by LEE Byung-hun. Gyeong-cheol brutally assaults Su-hyeon’s fiancé and dismembers her body. From rage and despair of failing to protect his own lover, Su-hyeon decides to get back at Gyeongcheol. Roving around Seoul and Gyeonggi-do in search of his enemy, Su-heyon feels he will not be satisfied with simply taking Gyeong-cheol’s life. He wishes to return the fear and pain his fiancé had to go through in the cruelest and most persistent way. On their first encounter, Su-hyeon warns Gyeong-cheol, "Remember, it will only get worse.” Gyeongcheol replies, “That’s interesting. Bring it on."

lposter0476602.jpg

While KIM Jee-woon’s previous films had focused more on the genre-specific styles rather than the characters, I Saw the Devil is expected to be a movie with outstanding powers of the actors that form an extreme contrast. CHOI Min-sik who announced his name to the world with Old Boy, had not appeared in any large scale mainstream commercial films for the last 5 years since he performed in Sympathy for Lady Vengeance. Having worked with CHOI 12 years ago in The Quiet Family, KIM Jee-woon praises CHOI as “the best actor to act a character like fire.” In the new movie, CHOI Min-sik is prepared to become a devil wearing a human mask. Known as 'KIM Jee-woon’s persona' for his performance in A Bittersweet Life and The Good, The Bad, The Weird, LEE Byung-hun acts an emotional and delicate man who’s grieving his dead lover but who’s at the same time a cold-hearted person putting down his anger and rage to fight against the evil.

There are many films of violence and revenge, but I Saw the Devil differentiates itself from other common stories of paybacks. In this film, revenge does not mean the victim moving towards the simple goal of finishing the perpetrator’s life. In order to return the pain he had received, Su-hyeon controls his emotions and repeats clasping and letting go of the opponent. Instead of avoiding Su-hyeon’s attacks, Gyeongcheol enjoys the situation and faces him squarely, and in that sense I Saw the Devil keeps up the tension through steady confrontation. The director describes the film religious as the evil is punished, and a story of suffering as it shows the pain of a man.

With its provocative and cruel expressions, perhaps I Saw the Devil will add its title to the ‘Korean Extreme’ list by overseas audiences. However ethical questions may be asked on whether such extreme punishment shown in the movie is in fact correct. To them CHOI Min-sik answers. “What is violence to humans? How is it expressed cinematically? Such points will entertain our audiences.”

Director: Kim Ji Woon (The Quiet Family, The Foul King, A Tale of Two Sisters, A Bittersweet Life, The Good The Bad The Weird)
Starring[: Choi Min Sik (Old Boy, Crying Fist), Lee Byung Hun (A Bittersweet Life, Joint Security Area)
Release date: August 12, 2010
Running time: 144 minutes
Film Festivals:
35th Toronto International Film Festival (Special Presentation Screening) 9-19 September, 2010
58th San Sebastian International Film Festival (In Competition) 17-25 September, 2010
15th Pusan International Film Festival (Midnight Passion Screenin) 7-15 October, 2010

20100225devil.jpg

I Saw the Devil

Review by Scott A. Gray exclaim.ca

up-isawthedevil_06.jpg

If you plan to see I Saw the Devil, you'd better have a strong stomach and a little sadism in your blood. Seldom have I heard an audience so audibly gasp, wince, holler, laugh, cheer and clap during the same film.

Ji-woon Kim is a certified chameleon at this point in his career. Following mercurial ghost story A Tale of Two Sisters and epic western comedy The Good, The Bad, The Weird, Kim has shuffled genres again to try his hand at a morally murky serial killer revenge torture picture.

Byung-hun Lee (the Bad, in The Good, The Bad, The Weird) portrays a grief-stricken security agent hell-bent on tracking down and punishing his wife's murder after parts of her mutilated body are found in a river. The director spends a bit of time with this first victim, establishing a sweet, doting relationship in just a few beats of a phone conversation with her husband. That we witness her grisly murder sets up an emotional connection to Lee's grief, made palpable by one of many great moments in his performance.

Where most films would simply follow the vengeance-seeking husband, Kim casts the formidable Min-sik Choi (Oldboy) as the sadistic psycho, who we see right from the opening scene, and follow in as much, or more, detail as the hero. The very concept of heroism is darkly scrutinized, crossing into vigilante revenge and the toll associated with acting monstrous in order to punish a monster. It's a film as darkly funny as it is morbidly beautiful, at times. It's also brutal and merciless in its promises of escalating violence as the two men try to one up each other's pain, leaving Kim the task of making the audience squirm more with each exchange.

At nearly two-and-a-half hours, I Saw the Devil should feel long but doesn't. There's nary a spare moment where tension isn't being built and released then pulled taut anew, often to disturbing, nauseating new heights. If a perfect companion to Chan-wook Park's Vengeance trilogy perks your sadistic streak, set your sights on this Devil. 
(Peppermint)

lposter0476601.jpg

istd_cms1.jpg

istd_lbh1.jpg

devil_banner6.jpg

The last time we talked about Kim Ji-Woon's upcoming projects, it was regarding his first venture into Hollywood, a remake of Claude Sautet's 70s caper Max et Les Ferrailleurs. Hoping to cast Clive Owen and possibly Sienna Miller in the leading roles, Kim wanted his Max and the Junkmen to start shooting in January, as winter was the perfect atmosphere for his noir ambiance. Seems like the film has hit a snag - we still don't have much in the way of the details, but it might just be casting issues delaying the first shoot past that all important Q1 2010 deadline, pushing things to late next year - so Kim is now focusing on his next project at home, which is tentatively entitled 아열대의 밤 (lit. Subtropical Night).

The film continues the recent noir thriller trend, with a man chasing the serial killer-cum-psychopath who killed his fiancee, and plenty of brutal action ensuing afterwards. Choi Min-Shik was cast in the psychopath role, one of the most inspired choices of recent memory - and a return to major projects for Choi, who's had a pretty rough three-four years, and recently returned to Chungmuro with Jeon Soo-Il's low budget indie 히말라야, 바람이 머무는 곳 (Himalaya, Where the Wind Dwells). Also, Lee Byung-Heon has received an offer to play the "chaser" avenging his fiancee's death. His management confirmed the offer, but also said that because of Lee's Hollywood commitments (G.I. Joe 2), Kim would have to adapt his schedule in accordance. So, again, no ink spilled yet, but if these three get together, this baby could turn as hot as its working title suggests. More on this in the coming months.

Cast & Character

Thanks to the fan highlight at GBW cafe.daum 6090

character1.jpg
Lee Byung Hun - Soo Hyun (NIS Agent)

Spoiler

character2.jpg
Choi Min Sik - Kyung Chul (Psychopath)

character3.jpgimageproxy.php?img=&key=2dbee9df824d5219
Oh San Ha - Joo Yun (Soo Hyun's fiancee)

character4.jpg
Jeon Kuk Hwan - Det. Jang (Joo Yun's father)

character5.jpg

9269501078_f.jpg

I Saw the Devil location captures from GBW cafe.daum 5858

May 13, 2010

Finecut sells I Saw The Devil to France's ARP

By Liz Shackleton

20100225devil.jpg

The film is currently in production and scheduled for Korean release in summer

this year. Finecut is showing 12 minutes footage of the film here at Cannes

Seoul-based sales agent Finecut has scored a major pre-sale on Kim Jee-woon’s highly-anticipated thriller I Saw The Devil, which has gone to ARP for France.

Starring Lee Byung-hun (A Bittersweet Life) and Choi Min-sik (Old Boy), the film is a hide-and-seek revenge story played out between two men – one a psychopathic serial killer and the other a top secret agent whose fiancee has become one of the serial killers’ victims.

The film is currently in production and scheduled for Korean release in summer this year. Finecut is showing 12 minutes footage of the film here at Cannes. ARP previously released Kim’s last film, The Good, The Bad, The Weird, which premiered in an out of competition slot at Cannes in 2008. Kim’s credits also include The Foul King, A Tale Of Two Sisters and A Bittersweet Life, which also starred Lee Byung-hun.

Meanwhile, Finecut has also sold espionage action thriller IRIS: The Movie, also starring Lee, to Mirius Tuck for ex-Yugoslavia, while Ounie Lecomte’s A Brand New Life has gone to Golden Village for Singapore. Both deals are mop-up sales as the films were widely sold last year. A Brand New Life premiered in Cannes official selection in the special screenings section last year.

Finecut has also sealed a package deal with Taiwanese distributor Waysen International which has acquired Min Kyu-dong’s drama Antique, creature feature Chaw and horror film Blood Pledge.

Source: screendaily.com

May 14, 2010

Korean thriller "I Saw the Devil" pre-sold to France's ARP

Reporter.Lucia Hong Editor.Jessica Kim

2010051410315912305_1.jpg

Still cut of "I Saw the Devil" [showBox]

Upcoming Korean thriller "I Saw the Devil" has been pre-sold to France's largest distribution company ARP, according to the film's promoter on Friday. The overseas sales representative for Finecut explained through a press release that the publication rights for "Devil" was sold over to ARP France on May 13, the first day of the Film Market at the Cannes Film Festival.

ARP bought the rights for the movie, which is still in production, after receiving information on the director, cast and synopsis for "Devil." "We trust in the film because of how director Kim Jee-woon is able to show his own style of work through various genres like in his previous work 'The Good, The Bad, The Weird,'" ARP C.E.O Michele Halberstadt was quoted as saying.

He also added,"The moviegoers in France are big fans of Lee Byung-hun and Choi Min-sik so we have high expectations for this film."

The promotional video of "Devil" is scheduled to be shown in theaters at Cannes today and Sunday.

"Devil," helmed by famed director Kim Jee-woon, is about the revenge between a psychopathic serial killer (Choi) and a top secret agent (Lee) whose fiancee becomes one of the killer's victims.

The movie is set to premiere in Korea this summer.

Reporter: Lucia Hong luciahong@ Editor: Jessica Kim jesskim@ <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr

thr-logo.gif

May 14, 2010

ARP sees Kim's 'Devil' at Cannes

French company picks up thriller from top Korean director

By Park Soo-mee

SEOUL – Kim Ji-woon’s “I Saw the Devil,” a hard-boiled thriller starring top Korean actors Choi Min-shik (“OldBoy”) and Lee Byung-hun (“GI Joe: The Rise of Cobra”), was picked by France’s ARP in a presale at Cannes Thursday, according to a Seoul-based sales company Finecut.

ARP bought the director’s previous kimchi-western “The Good, The Bad, The Weird” at Cannes in 2007 for a wide release in France along with other Asian arthouse films, including Wong Kar-wai’s “Happy Together.”

“Kim has a unique style for variation of genres including comedy, horror and film-noire,” said Michelle Halberstadt, the head of ARP. "'The Good, The Bad, The Weird’ was an unseen western. We expect that his new thriller will show something new.”

Kim’s promo film will be screened in a theater in Cannes on May 14 and 16. “I Saw The Devil” is the story of a man chasing a killer who murdered his fiancée. The film will be released in Korea this summer.

Source: hollywoodreporter.com

Disclaimer: roughly translated from the online gist by EverythingLBH

kjkim79201005161628060.jpg

Source: news.nate.com

screendaily.jpg

Malick, Coppola could lead strong crop at Venice 2010

19 May, 2010 | By Screen staff

Terrence Malick’s The Tree Of Life and Sofia Coppola’s Somewhere are among a raft of strong titles that could be bound for this year’s Venice or Toronto. Terrence Malick’s The Tree Of Life — which had been hoped for as a cornerstone of the festival here — was not ready in time for the Croisette, so it now appears Venice-bound. In fact, a slew of high-profile films could herald an especially hot year in Venice — and/or Toronto.

Other titles tipped for the Lido include Sofia Coppola’s Somewhere, Clint Eastwood’s Hereafter, Tom Hooper’s The King’s Speech, Darren Aronofsky’s Black Swan, Anton Corbijn’s The American, Julian Schnabel’s Miral, Danny Boyle’s 127 Hours, John Cameron Mitchell’s Rabbit Hole, Bruce Robinson’s The Rum Diary, Robert Rodriguez’s Machete and Julie Taymor’s The Tempest.

From the continent, Vallanzasca seems like a strong contender from Italy and Benedek Fliegauf’s Womb could be ready from Germany-Hungary-France. Bela Tarr’s The Turin Horse is also believed to be ready to unspool. Scandinavian titles could include Susanne Bier’s In A Better World and Bent Hamer’s Home For Christmas. Middle Eastern selections ready in time for Venice could include Maryam Keshavarz’s Circumstance and Dover Kosashvili’s The Duel.

Asian selections could include Takashi Miike’s Thirteen Assassins, Sion Sono’s Cold Fish, Kim Jee-woon’s I Saw The Devil, Tran Anh Hung’s Norwegian Wood, Su Chao-pin’s Reign Of Assassins, Chen Kaige’s Zhao’s Orphan and Wayne Wang’s Snow Flower And The Secret Fan.

The UK could be represented by David Mackenzie’s The Last Word, Cary Joji Fukunaga’s update of Jane Eyre, Nigel Cole’s Made In Dagenham, Kevin Macdonald’s The Eagle Of The Ninth, Peter Mullan’s Neds and Rowan Joffé’s Brighton Rock.

Source: screendaily.com

Thanks to veve111 at EverythingLBH for the cool highlight! thumbup.gif

I SAW THE DEVIL bloody teaser

VOD from movie.naver.com l the youtube streaming HERE rbhcool.gif

It's going to be an intense fright summer! :o And BLOOD.. BLOOD, everywhere!

Some of the screencaps from the clip, by EverythingLBH

devil0.jpg

devil2a.jpg

devil3.jpg

devil4.jpg

devil5.jpg

devil6.jpg

devil7.jpg

devil8.jpg

devil9.jpg

devil10.jpg

devil11.jpg

devil12.jpg

devil13.jpg

devil14.jpg

Gosh, that looks quite bloody! After being away from movies so long, I'm getting a "big Hollywood star villain" vibe from Choi Min-sik...Mickey Rourke, anyone? :P

Just read this funny bit on Djuna board: someone said Choi planned to take on Lee Byung-hun's role in an earlier phase of the project (when it was still called Night of the Hunter, with director Lee Mu-yeong & costar Han Suk-kyu.)

meh~ wouldn't the girls in the house want to see Mr. Lee play a psycho-killah? ;)

Looking forward to it, though it seems Clive Owen has huge backlog of work, that dir. Kim may not get his Hollywood debut off ground any time soon?

P.S.

As for the French picking up first tabs, their market seems inundated by "dark, violent thrillers" lately. Yet they still want more! Their top guys like Depardieu, Auteuil have all done their share of bloody vengeance lately -- just more on the gritty/raw side (of a cop with troubled conscience) than Kim's sleek style.

Whoa. That is one hell of a teaser. I am most definitely teased!! 3 of my favoritest people and lots of stylish gore. Bring it on, KJW, bring it ONNNNN

After being away from movies so long, I'm getting a "big Hollywood star villain" vibe from Choi Min-sik...Mickey Rourke, anyone? :P

Ha! Oh how I've missed Mr. Choi. He and LBH can both portray sadistic b@stards excellently, but I'm glad we ended up with the present permutation (there's something about LBH in Bittersweet Life mode... ;)).

Korean cinema seems pretty saturated with crime/revenge thrillers as well post-Chaser (with none of them as good as The Chaser imo). I'm hoping this (and Na Hong-Jin's Murderer) will hit the spot.

Thanks for the thread, rubie!

Ha! Oh how I've missed Mr. Choi. He and LBH can both portray sadistic b@stards excellently, but I'm glad we ended up with the present permutation (there's something about LBH in Bittersweet Life mode... ;)).

But that means CMS gets the sex/rape scenes, LBH the waterworks. As long as you have no objections... :lol:

Korean cinema seems pretty saturated with crime/revenge thrillers as well post-Chaser (with none of them as good as The Chaser imo). I'm hoping this (and Na Hong-Jin's Murderer) will hit the spot.

Thanks for the thread, rubie!

Yep yep, director Na's made everyone step up their game. Chaser also has that one in a million chemistry between its leads though. In a brighter, peaceful world, misters Kim & Ha could play buddy movies. Alas...gory vengeance is a global epidemic (and I'd never have pegged your for a gorehound, from all the artsy threads you keep! Thanks btw - and rubie too!)

But that means CMS gets the sex/rape scenes, LBH the waterworks. As long as you have no objections... :lol:

None whatsoever. :lol:

Murdering little girls in Sympathy for Lady Vengeance and uh, Mido... Yep I have a cast-iron stomach when it comes to CMS. :P

Can't wait! I've really missed him (and no, I haven't seen Himalaya, Where the Wind Dwells yet. I haven't been in the mood recently for an er, contemplative film).

After being the best thing in I Come with the Rain and his fun turn in The Good, The Bad, The Weird, I don't mind if LBH gives the villain thing a rest for a while (lest he get Evilll! fatigue). And I have enough trust in him and KJW that they'll mine new depths in the Revenge Noir canon different from Bittersweet Life. (Too bad angsty shower scenes are only a Kdrama staple. :lol: )

Since this is their 3rd project together, is it safe to say that they have a Muse relationship (ala Scorsese/De Niro, Scorsese/DiCaprio, Burton/Depp)?? Bittersweet Life is still LBH's best performance (so far). :wub:

I feel kinda bad for Clive Owen for getting typecast in this sort of films when he's capable of so much more... but screw that! Crossing my fingers KJW gets him for Max.

Off-topic: As much as I love the current casting, it would have been cool to see BFFs CMS and HSG act together again. I hope it still happens, in the near future. Whatever happened to Lee Mu-Young? His projects always get into funding difficulties, poor guy.

Chaser also has that one in a million chemistry between its leads though. In a brighter, peaceful world, misters Kim & Ha could play buddy movies.

Oh, absolutely! Plus they both have good comedic timing in other films, I bet that would be a blast (Korea, are you listening?).

That's what disappointed me about No Mercy; I love RSB and admire SKG, but there just wasn't much chemistry. And while I appreciate that I didn't see the twist coming (and I'm usually pretty smug about guessing these things lol), the road getting there never tied my stomach into knots or made my heart pound, unlike The Chaser.

Alas...gory vengeance is a global epidemic (and I'd never have pegged your for a gorehound, from all the artsy threads you keep!

Artsy schmartsy. Does sometimes wanting to beat Hong Sang-Soo's male characters to a pulp count? :P Gore can be a force for good! Or we wouldn't have Park Chan-Wook. And Chaw.^^

Murdering little girls in Sympathy for Lady Vengeance and uh, Mido... Yep I have a cast-iron stomach when it comes to CMS. :P

riiight, the scene where he demanded some mid-dinner treat from wifey was always a bit...Ease up, dood. She still has to be able to walk to the market to buy your bulgolgi <_<

Can't wait! I've really missed him (and no, I haven't seen Himalaya, Where the Wind Dwells yet. I haven't been in the mood recently for an er, contemplative film).

Me neither. Too many such arthouse, "ethnic" travelogues already. If you take gander, Choi is still a beauty to behold in his "other" mode of quiet desperation. Just not sure I can stomach another "Let the natives heal me" story (probably projecting too much... *shrugs*.)

After being the best thing in I Come with the Rain and his fun turn in The Good, The Bad, The Weird, I don't mind if LBH gives the villain thing a rest for a while (lest he get Evilll! fatigue). And I have enough trust in him and KJW that they'll mine new depths in the Revenge Noir canon different from Bittersweet Life. (Too bad angsty shower scenes are only a Kdrama staple. :lol: )

Since this is their 3rd project together, is it safe to say that they have a Muse relationship (ala Scorsese/De Niro, Scorsese/DiCaprio, Burton/Depp)?? Bittersweet Life is still LBH's best performance (so far). :wub:

LBH as the villain certainly has its immense pleasures. Since he didn't get the full-frontal (psychological, ah mean!) treatment in GBW and ICWTR, I wouldn't mind seeing KJW keeping him in the rabbit's hole - with a tractor parked over the opening :lol: Beg to differ on BsL though :P : Bungee Jumping will always be my Supreme Grande from LBH. In that performance I saw many young guy teachers familiar from daily life, men who just lead ordinary lives then conceivably throw it away...cos some internal balance is all but crapped out, forever.

Have you seen the French comparing BsL to Le Samourai? I find the similarities stunning, and rather enjoy it more as a post-MTV/Wong kar-wai type of visceral, sensory experience swinging between elegant/brutal (or where everything in life is styled as either of those extremes, where the pleasures of style precedes the mountains of human foible one finds more central to Le Samourai. Not that BsL is the usual style > substance...just more like, daily meditation by way of dressing/looking/sashaying/asskicking your best:D )

But yeah, LBH + KJW's camera-eye practically became one unified, breathing entity in BsL. (Got a bit shafted in GBW though :P )

RE: Clive Owen

Maybe he wants to stay relevant as boxoffice star? Meh...He resembles Michel Piccoli in the original very much, I can see why KJW is set on ol' Clive.

RE: old casting

Yes, as long as CMS/HSG do it before it becomes total geriatric arms race :D No complaints if they take a stab @ Radio Star-type of wistful buddy outing, too. (Like, what other viable formulas are there for aging doods not completely sold on playing background grandads, or honorary elders/mentors? :P)

Don't think I've sat through an entire Lee Mu-young movie...though the stories are intriguing enough. It's always tough when you're burning through other ppl's money, innit?

such is life <_<

RE: No Mercy

Oh gee, thanks for the warning. I guess RSB/SKG is a marriage that won't last? Why can't they recognize a good thing when they're smacked with it - just cast Moon so-ri as his cop buddy (battle of sexes!) or the depraved psycho-perp :P

Seriously...comb through his costar list: who else is better?

Artsy schmartsy. Does sometimes wanting to beat Hong Sang-Soo's male characters to a pulp count? :P Gore can be a force for good! Or we wouldn't have Park Chan-Wook. And Chaw.^^

LOL~ since indulging in all that gore, must keep our alter-egos off the street! Have you noticed, Hong SS' been casting cuter and more appealing "losers" as his protagonist (Yoo Joon-sang, Kim Taewoo.) Mama's boys who finally look the way their personality works. In that way it's hard to wish them bodily harm B)

up1.gif I SAW THE DEVIL cafe http://cafe.naver.com/isawthedevil

May 25, 2010

Choi Min-Sik. Lee Byung-Hun. Kim Ji-Woon. I SAW THE DEVIL Teaser Arrives.

by Todd Brown, May 25, 2010 8:37 PM

Though Murderer - the sophomore feature from Chaser director Na Hong-Jin - will certainly make its share of noise there is no doubt what the event movie of the year in Korea is. After all, can anything else really be in the running when the director of The Good The Bad And The Weird teams up with the stars of Oldboy and A Bittersweet Life? Yes, Kim Ji-Woon's dark crime thriller hits screens this summer and he's brought Lee Byung-Hun and Choi Min-Sik along for the ride.

The film is Oldboy star Choi's first major role since returning from a self imposed exile begun in protest over changes to the Korean screen quota system and marks the duo's first time working together. Lee and Kim, however, go back now over several films and their collaborations have always been stellar. This is also the first time Lee and Choi - two of the nation's biggest and most recognizable stars - have ever appeared together.

Story? Lee plays a cop driven to take vengeance after Choi's character kills his fiance. Stylish this will certainly be with Kim at the helm but pretty? No way. Check the teaser below.

Related Links wildgrounds.com l twitchfilm.net

Copied from GBW cafe daum 5924, captures courtesy leebyunghun.com

The hand injury looks like what happened to Sunwoo in BSL but no matter what the resemblance, since ISTD teaser was released last week.. the upcoming movie has now topped the most awaited-movie to watch in Korea by the popular online movie portals.

1275179370_11.jpg

1274797037_3.jpg

1274797037_4.jpg

1274797037_9.jpg

1274797037_7.jpg

1275179370_14.jpg

1275179710_13.jpg

1275179370_16.jpg

May 31, 2010

Optimum picks up 'Devil' for UK

Kim Jee-woon thriller also picked up for France, Turkey

By Park Soo-mee

SEOUL – “I Saw the Devil,” the director Kim Jee-woon’s highly-anticipated thriller currently in production, was picked up by U.K. distributor Optimum Releasing during the Cannes Market, according to a Seoul-based sales company Finecut.

The U.K. film company has previously handled Korean films including “The Host” and “Chaw.”

“Kim Jee-woon’s beautifully crafted footage crept into our subconscious like a dark force,” said Berenice Fugard, the head of acquisitions at Optimum Releasing. “We're sure he will deliver one of the most exquisite, disquieting films for a long time.”

Aside from the U.K. deal, the film was also picked up by ARP for French-speaking territories, Catchplay for Taiwan and Bir Film for Turkey, which distributed “A Tale of Two Sisters,” Kim’s earlier film.

“I Saw the Devil” is a hard-boiled thriller about a top secret agent whose fiancée was murdered by a serial killer. The twisted revenge story between two men will be played by a veteran ensemble of Lee Byung-hun (“A Bittersweet Life”) and Choi Min-sik (“OldBoy”).

The film is scheduled to be released in the summer.

Source: hollywoodreporter.com

June 1, 2010

Korean film "I Saw The Devil" pre-sold to four countries

Reporter.Lynn Kim Editor.Jessica Kim

2010060113544773114_1.jpg

Korean actor Lee Byung-hun in a scene from the film "I Saw The Devil" [showbox]

Korean thriller film "I Saw The Devil," which was pre-sold to France during Cannes film market last month, has been picked up by three more countries -- namely England, Taiwan and Turkey.

According to a press release by Finecut, which handles overseas sales for the pic, U.K.-based film distribution company Optimum Releasing bought the overseas rights for the Korean thriller which is still in production with noted filmmaker Kim Ji-woon directing top actors Lee Byung-hun and Choi Min-sik.

"Director Kim Jee-woon's unique and beautiful style has a powerful force that touches a deep spot in one's subconscious," explained Berenice Fugard, President of Optimum, on why he bought the film. He went onto say that he is "convinced director Kim Ji-woon will make one of the most intense, breathtaking films that will be remembered for a long time."

Optimum had previously bought and distributed several Korean films, including "The Host" and "Chaw," in the U.K.

Taiwanese distributor Catchplay and Turkey's Bir Film also picked up the film from Finecut. "Devil" is about a secret agent (played by Lee) plotting revenge against a serial killer (Choi) who killed his fiancee.

The film is scheduled for release in Korea this summer.

Reporter : Lynn Kim lynn2878@ Editor : Jessica Kim jesskim@ <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr

ISTD teaser Japanese version, copied from innolife.net

6831_13.jpgz_MMEDIA5.gif VOD download

Upcoming Films (by Tom Giammarco and Darcy Paquet)

I SAW THE DEVIL. ("Akmareul boattda") In the wake of his successful Western The Good, The Bad, The Weird, Kim Jee-woon was originally planning to shoot a US remake of the 1970s era French thriller Max and the Junkmen. However when progress on that project began to slow, he turned to a smaller project that he had been developing in parallel. I Saw the Devil is a violent thriller about a psychopath who kills for pleasure, starring Choi Min-sik of Oldboy fame. However when he kills the fiancee of a top secret agent, the bereaved agent (played by Lee Byung-hun) turns into a monster himself in order to extract revenge. Reportedly so grisly that many top distributors wouldn't touch it, the film will likely reach theaters in late summer or early fall. Teaser

Source: koreanfilm.org

I stumbled upon the teaser trailer for this movie on youtube this morning and it got me so amped!! haha :D

Kim Ji-woon, Lee Byung-hun, and Choi Min-suk?! How can this movie not be awesome? haha. ^_^

Can't wait until this comes out! (yes, I am a huge fan of crime/revenge thrillers. :wub: )