[Movie 2010] I Saw The Devil, 악마를 보았다

rubie

Choi Min Sik VS Lee Byung Hun 2010

istdposter.jpg

I SAW THE DEVIL
악마를 보았다
 "Akmareul boattda" In the wake of his successful Western The Good, The Bad, The Weird, Kim Jee-woon was originally planning to shoot a US remake of the 1970s era French thriller Max and the Junkmen. However when progress on that project began to slow, he turned to a smaller project that he had been developing in parallel. I Saw the Devil is a violent thriller about a psychopath who kills for pleasure, starring Choi Min-sik of Oldboy fame. However when he kills the fiancee of a top secret agent, the bereaved agent (played by Lee Byung-hun) turns into a monster himself in order to extract revenge. Reportedly so grisly that many top distributors wouldn't touch it.

user posted image

#ISawTheDevil #ChoiMinSik #LeeByungHun #KimJiWoon

Credit: Dir. Guillermo del Toro (@RealGDT)

20151019gdt.jpg

• Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Constantly updating -- related info, captures & updates are warmly encouraged and appreciated

Choi Min Sik 최민식

Choi Min-sik is a South Korean actor. He was born on January 22, 1962 in Seoul, South Korea. Along with Song Kang-Ho, he is one of the premiere Korean actors both domestically and on the global scene. Choi started his career as a theatrical actor before adding in film roles, first with parts in Park Jong-won's films Kuro Arirang and Our Twisted Hero and later in the nineties by appearing as a police investigator in No. 3 and as a North Korean agent in Korea's most successful film ever at that point, Shiri.

In the 2000s, aided by the success of Shiri, Choi continued to get versatile lead roles first as a gangster in Failan and then as a nineteenth-century painter in Chihwaseon. In 2003, he took on the role that garnered him international attention as revenge-seeking Oh Dae-su in Oldboy. At various points during 2006 Choi (and several other Korean filmmakers, though separately from Choi) demonstrated in Seoul and at the Cannes Film Festival against the Korean decision to reduce the Film Quota from 146 to 73 days.

In November 2008 after Universal confirmed they would try to make a Hollywood adaption of Oldboy, Choi admitted to many French media reporters that he was upset at Hollywood for using what he described as low style pressure tactics towards Asian and European film makers so they could remake foreign movies in the United States.

Filmography

Kuro Arirang (1989)

That Which Falls Has Wings (1989)

May Our Love Stay This Way (1992)

Our Twisted Hero (1992)

Sara Is Guilty (1993)

Mom, the Star and the Sea Anemone (1994)

No. 3 (1997)

The Quiet Family (1998)

Shiri (1999)

Happy End (1999)

Failan (2001)

Chi-hwa-seon (2002)

Oldboy (2003)

Taegukgi (2004) - cameo appearance

Springtime (2004)

Crying Fist (2005)

Sympathy for Lady Vengeance (2005)

Himalaya, Where the Wind Dwells (2009) [X]

Links choiminsik.net l kmdb.or.kr l hancinema.net Source: wikipedia.org

November 25, 2009

Choi Min Sik - Kim Jee Woon, 12-year Reunion

200911250951571122_1.jpg

[Choi Min-sik (left) and director Kim Jee Woon. My Daily Photo by DB]

Top actor Choi Min Sik reuniting with Director Kim Ji Woon after their first collaboration 12 years ago in the 1998 horror film boom 'The Quiet Family' in a new action thriller-noir, playing a serial killer or psycho villain -- creating an intense acting challenge anticipated by Korean movie enthusiasts. 'The Quiet Family' was coincidently the debut movie directed by Dir. Kim Ji Woon who has since presented some of Koreas best & stunning movies such as 'A Tale of Two Sisters', 'A Bittersweet Life' and the 2008 blockbuster hit 'The Good, The Bad, The Weird'.

Source: news.nate.com

Related Korean Media Articles 1 l 2 l 3 l 4 l 5 l 6 l 7 l 8 l 9 l 10 l 11

January 14, 2010

Lee Byung-hun to star in Kim Ji-woon's thriller pic

Reporter: Ko Kyoung-seok kave@asiae.co.kr Editor: Lynn Kim lynn2878@asiae.co.kr <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10Asia

2010011413343483369_1.jpg

Top Korean actor Lee Byung-hun has joined the cast of a new thriller film by famed director Kim Ji-woon, according to Lee's agency BH Entertainment on Thursday. An official at BH explained that Lee is set to star in the film -- titled "I Saw The Devil" -- although the actor has not finished signing the contract as of yet. Famed actor Choi Min-sik of Cannes award-winning director Park Chan-wook's film "Old Boy" had already confirmed his appearance in the movie, set to start filming next month.Lee will play the role of a man who plots revenge against a psychopath killer, played by Choi, after his girlfriend gets murdered.

Kim has directed several notable films including "A Tale of Two Sisters" (2003) and the critically-acclaimed "The Good, The Bad, The Weird" (2008). Lee, 39, has starred in numerous television dramas and films including Kim Ji-woon's "A Bittersweet Life" (2005) and "Weird". Choi has appeared in more than a dozen Korean movies, most notably "Oldboy"(2003) and "Sympathy for Lady Vengeance"(2005).

Lee Byung Hun in Kim Jee Woon's new movie confirmed

Source: news.nate.com / news.nate.com

Actor Lee Byung-Hun have confirmed his appearance in Dir. Kim Jee Woon's new movie "Saw the Devil" (tentative title) Representative of BH Entertainment on the 14th, in a telephone conversation with Newsen stated, "LBH is confirmed to appear in Kim Jee Woon's new upcoming movie and are now working out the details of the contract," he said. This will be Lee Byung Hun's third collaboration with Dir. Kim Ji Woon after 'A Bittersweet Life' (2005) and 'The Good, The Bad, The Weird' (2008) making him the actor who fits perfectly into the director's idea of screen persona.."Saw the Devil" (previously called 'Subtropical Night") tells the plot of a psycho killer played by actor Choi Min Shik killing the fiancee of a man played by Lee Byung Hun who follows the murderer for revenge. The new anticipated intense movie is expected to start filming in early February.

January 15, 2010

Choi, Lee star in Kim's 'Saw a Devil'

Korean director prepping heist pic 'Max'

By SUNHEE HAN

20100116000001_0.jpg

Choi Min-sik (left), Lee Byung-hun

SEOUL — South Korean helmer Kim Ji-woon has cast "Oldboy" topliner Choi Min-sik and Korean Wave star Lee Byung-hun in thriller "Saw a Devil."

Lee, who was last seen in "G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra," plays a man pursuing the psychopath, played by Choi, who killed his fiancee.

Kim was set to helm the Hollywood remake of French heist pic "Max et les ferrailleurs" next, but has turned his attention to "Devil" due to production delays on the U.S. pic.

"Devil," which was formerly called "Night in the Subtropics," begins lensing early February.

The pic is Lee's third film with Kim, following 2005's "A Bittersweet Life" and 2008's "The Good, the Bad, the Weird," which both screened at the Cannes Film Festival.

Choi's last pic was "Himalaya, Where the Wind Dwells" in 2008. His credits also include 2005's "Lady Vengeance," which was directed by "Oldboy" helmer Park Chan-wook.

Source: variety.com image from news.nate.com

Guest Smelly Tofu

Since Choi min shik is a veteran...I feel its kind of rude to tell him to adapt his schedule to Lee. Honestly if lee byung hun don't have the time then don't bother, there's so many other artists out there that is still capable

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to ylin at EverythingLBH for the online translated gist

January 26, 2010

The production team for "I Saw the Devil" held a prayer ceremony on Monday afternoon of January 25th, before the start of the new movie filming. Director Kim Ji Woon with actors Choi Min Sik and Lee Byung Hun were all present at the ceremony.

904012469128197452.jpg

Source: chosunonline.com l news.nate.com

Thanks to ylin at EverythingLBH for the online translated gist

January 26, 2010

The production team for "I Saw the Devil" held a prayer ceremony on Monday afternoon of January 25th, before the start of the new movie filming. Director Kim Ji Woon with actors Choi Min Sik and Lee Byung Hun were all present at the ceremony.

Source: chosunonline.com l news.nate.com

Has the female lead been cast for the film yet?

Has the female lead been cast for the film yet?

Hi parkmisoo, good to see you here. :D

Nothing yet on the supporting cast or the actress playing the fiancee but it's not uncommon that more cast will be added in as the movie starts to film. Sometimes they'd have the cast ready but waiting for the right time to announce it. But we sure have someone in mind, huh. :blush:

• 2 weeks later...

scdaily.jpg

February 11, 2010

Finecut does deal with Kim Jee-woon's Devil

11 February, 2010 | By Jean Noh

Korean sales company FineCut has announced it has picked up 'I Saw The Devil', the upcoming film from Kim Jee-woon, hit director of 'The Good, The Bad, The Weird'.

A hard-boiled thriller, I Saw The Devil stars Choi Min-sik (Oldboy) as a psychopathic serial killer up against Lee Byung-hun (G.I. Joe: The Resurrection Of The Cobra) as a special agent whose fiancée becomes one of his victims. Lee’s cool-headed and intelligent character in turn becomes a monster in order to avenge the killing.

Lee Byung-hun previously worked with Kim Jee-woon in his Cannes entries 'A Bittersweet Life' and 'The Good, The Bad, The Weird'.

'I Saw The Devil' started shooting last week and is scheduled for local release late this summer. FineCut is pre-selling at EFM.

Source: screendaily.com

I Saw The Devil

The first images have popped up online for the upcoming film from acclaimed director Kim Jee-woon, and while they don't exactly show us anything too exciting, at least we get another glimpse of what Oldboy himself, Choi Min-sik, will be up to in his latest film I Saw the Devil.

20100226000133_0.jpg

The film, labeled as a hard-boiled thriller, stars Min-sik as a psychopathic serial killer up against Lee Byung-hun (G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra) as a special agent whose fiancée becomes one of his victims. Lee’s cool-headed and intelligent character in turn becomes a monster in order to avenge the killing.

Mentions at upcoming.current.com / dreadcentral.com

February 25, 2010

Lee ByungHun - Choi MinSik first movie stills from February 6

20100225.02500199900231.01L.jpg

The new action-thriller 'I Saw The Devil' helmed by Director Kim Ji Woon, starring top movie actors Choi Min Sik and Lee Byung Hun started filming on February 6 in Seoul and is currently very active in progress according to the Peppermint Production House.

'I Saw The Devil' is a plot of a man who lost his fiancee to a serial murderer going all odds to revenge the tragic death and the pain with an unstoppable madness ensuing between the two. Actor Lee Byung-hun who plays the role of an NIS security personnel Su-hyeon who wasn't able to protect his fiancee thus going through a painful revenge losing her..

Acclaimed actor Choi Min Sik who plays the satanic serial murderer started his scene with the murder in place, is a man born with an evil gene which he expresses with a scary effect, extreme horror and unimginable suspense.

The new thiller movie directed by Dir. Kim Ji woon whose projects he undertook had never been the same particular genre since he made his directorial debut presenting a real challenge for the auteur and his high-profile cast. 'I Saw The Devil' is expected to be released in the summer.

Source: news.nate.com

February 26th, 2010

Kim Ji-Woon gets his cast and takes a look at the DEVIL

by: Sean Hunter

I have a deep and undying love for Korean cinema. The type of films that come out of South Korea are a blend of pedal-to-the-metal horror and slow, brooding, and deep character studies. So it should come as no shock to anyone that the prospect of Kim Ji-Woon teaming up with Korea’s best acting talent makes me as giddy as a school girl.

Live For Films reports that Ji-Woon has cast Choi Min-Sik (OLDBOY) and Lee Byung-Heon (G.I. JOE) to play the lead characters in his latest film titled, I SAW THE DEVIL. The film goes like this…

Choi as a sadistic serial killer and Lee as a driven lawman who turns every bit as nasty while hunting Choi down after he kills Lee’s fiance

Sounds like a pretty basic set-up that will surely get turned on its head in classic Korean cinema fashion. There is nothing about this film that is setting off my alarm bells right now. Kim Ji-Woon is a brilliant and relatively new director, taking South Korea by storm with films like THE GOOD, THE BAD, AND THE WEIRD and A TALE OF TWO SISTERS (both films are brilliant and if you have not seen them, please do so).

Lee Byung-Heon drove home a pitch-perfect performance in Woon’s film A BITTERSWEET LIFE and is one of Korea’s new young stars. And then there is Choi Min-Sik who has been Chan Wook-Park’s go-to guy for years and years. This is truly a Korean trifecta of punch-you-in-the-face awesome people teaming up for what is sure to be a cool film at the very least.

I SAW THE DEVIL will be released late this summer.

Source: gordonandthewhale.com

Oldboy and Storm Shadow to see the Devil in Kim Ji-Woon’s new film

Posted by liveforfilms on February 26, 2010

devil1.jpg

devil2.jpg

A film that sounds like it will be rather cool. The reason being that it stars Choi Min-Sik (Oldboy), Lee Byung-Heon (A Bittersweet Life, G.I. Joe and his likeness was used for the main character in the Lost Planet video game) and directed by Kim Ji-Woon (A Tale of Two Sisters, A Bittersweet Life, and the excellent The Good, The Bad and The Weird).

Choi as a sadistic serial killer and Lee as a driven lawman who turns every bit as nasty while hunting Choi down after he kills Lee’s fiance. Originally called Subtropical Night it has been renamed to I Saw the Devil.

Both Choi and Byung-Heon are superb actors and the story means they should have plenty of opportunities to do what they do best. The Korean film is due out at the end of Summer.

Source: Twitch via liveforfilms.com

Inside Movies & DVD with Drew McWeeny

Posted on Friday, Feb 26, 2010 By Drew McWeeny

kjw01.jpg

In a world that was fair, people would be freaking out about the upcoming film "I Saw The Devil" the same way they freak out over big-budget superhero movies, and every tidbit of news would end up with a headline on every single film site. Why? Well, it stars Choi Min-Sik for one thing. He was the lead in "Oldboy," for those who aren't up on their Korean cinema, and he's sort of amazing. It also stars Lee Byung-Heon, who was the lead in the amazing "A Bittersweet Life." And it's directed by Kim Ji-Woon, whose last film "The Good, The Bad, and The Weird" was one of the most amazing pieces of entertainment I've witnessed in a theater in years. Even though we don't live in a world that is fair, there are sites like Twitch out there to help make up for that, and they just put up the first two stills from the film.

Source: hitfix.com

February 28, 2010

First stills from Lee Byung-heon’s I Saw the Devil

February 28th, 2010 // by javabeans

I Saw the Devil is the new film from The Good, The Bad, The Weird director Kim Ji-woon, starring Lee Byung-heon and Choi Min-shik, and has released its first still shots. The film began shooting earlier this month on February 6.

Director Kim has made a number of films in different genres, and again tries his hand at a new one: his 2000 film The Foul King was a comedy; 2003’s A Tale of Two Sisters was psychological horror; 2005’s A Bittersweet Life was noir; and 2008’s The Good, The Bad, The Weird a “kimchi Western.” I Saw the Devil is his first thriller (though one could argue there were thriller elements in his previous films), as well as being his third time working with Lee Byung-heon.

The plot of I Saw the Devil deals with a man (Lee) whose fiancee suffered a brutal death at the hands of a serial killer. As a national Secret Service agent who is used to performing his duty perfectly, he is assailed with shame at failing to protect someone he loves, and desperately wants to return his pain to the killer. Fueled by that rage and hatred, he hunts down the murderer played by Choi Min-shik.

After finishing the first shoot, Lee Byung-heon said, “If my earlier roles were either very controlled or explosive, this character has both sides.” Meanwhile, Choi is best known for his strong images in films like Oldboy and Sympathy for Lady Vengeance; this is also a reunion for him with director Kim, as they worked together twelve years ago in The Quiet Family.

I Saw the Devil will film through March and plans for a summer release.

Via Newsen, thanks to dramabeans.com. Captures from CINE21

• 2 weeks later...

Our thanks to the highlight by veve111 at EverythingLBH, courtesy fan-sharing at pann.nate.com / Naver blog: sw / GBW cafe.daum 5642

March 14, 2010 - Location filming of 'I SAW THE DEVIL'

shooting at 'Hwalyoung area'(????) today around 3p.m...

4432051398_6323b5644a_o.jpg

4432051490_3bd8f4cb9e_o.jpg

4431280973_b6b0d1e0fb_o.jpg

4431281087_5deb59a8df_o.jpg

BH was sitting in the left-hand-side black car

4432051588_571a0a8ab5_o.jpg

4431281169_da0a13f695_o.jpg

The man near the car an wear the brown jacket was BH ssi~~

4432051750_6a95894d50_o.jpg

4432051812_8e57da156d_o.jpg

4431281413_4cef1a1fe6_o.jpg

4432051964_db99498db4_o.jpg

4431281575_eb81c08440_o.jpg

4432052090_4a1d2af78e_o.jpg

4432052190_c8a328758b_o.jpg

4432052244_e5f96d81e2_o.jpg

4432052314_192b53c77e_o.jpg

4432052368_d1bf627be0_o.jpg

I Saw the Devil movie banner copied from PlanetBH0712

istd_kjw.jpg

March 18, 2010

Select Filmart titles

A selection of Korean films headed for Hong Kong event

By VARIETY STAFF

"I Saw the Devil"

Director: Kim Jee-woon

Producers: Kim Hyun-woo, Cho Sung-won

Stars: Choi Min-sik, Lee Byung-hun

"The Good, the Bad, the Weird" helmer meets heroes from "Oldboy" and "G.I. Joe" in a thriller of bloody vengeance by a top secret agent against a psychopathic serial killer.

Sales: Finecut

More at variety.com

thumbup.gifTwo of the Best in this movie, the ISTD powerhouse actors rule! rbhcool.gif

March 25, 2010

Korean pic "Mother", stars win big at Green Planet Movie Awards

Reporter.Lynn Kim Editor.Jessica Kim

Korean film "Mother" and a handful of Korean actors picked up multiple awards including the prize for Best Foreign Culture Film of the Year at the 2nd Green Planet Movie Awards held in California, according to event sponsor Korea Green Foundation (KGF) on Thursday.

KGF announced in a press release that film "Mother" and Korean movie stars were handed a total of 12 awards in nine different categories at the event, which took place at the Westin Bonaventure Hotel & Suites in Los Angeles on March 23 (local time).

Bong Joon-ho's pic "Mother", starring veteran actress Kim Hye-ja and Hallyu star Won Bin, was awarded four trophies in the following categories: Best Foreign Culture Film of the Year, Best International Director, Best International Film and Best International Drama (Asia).

All-around Korean entertainer Rain scored a triple win, claiming the titles for 10 Outstanding Asians in Hollywood, Asian Cultural Ambassador of the Year and Best International Entertainer (Asia).

Korean-Canadian actress Sandra Oh, best known for appearing in the hit U.S. TV series "Grey's Anatomy", also made the 10 Outstanding Asians list.

Top Korean actors Lee Byung-hun and Choi Min-sik were named 10 Best International Actors of the Decade (Asia) while Kim Yun-jin and Kim Hye-soo were chosen in the same category for actresses.

Green Planet Movie Awards, formerly known as the Green Globe Film Awards, is one of the largest international film events in Hollywood which promotes film, Asian culture and a "green" environment.

Winners were selected by viewers -- composed of fans and critics from around the world -- who submitted their votes on the official website by March 15.

The Korean film industry had received much hype prior to the awards ceremony for scoring 62 nominations, the most from any Asian country.

greenPlanet3.jpg

《Green Planet Movie Awards - List of Winners》

MAJOR MOTION PICTURE AWARDS

▶ Best Foreign Culture Film of the Year - "Mother"

▶ 10 Outstanding Asians in Hollywood - Rain (Jung Ji-hoon), Sandra Oh

INTERNATIONAL FILM AWARDS THEME: ASIA

▶ Best International Director (Asia) - Bong Joon-ho ("Mother")

▶ Best International Film (Asia) - "Mother"

▶ Best International Drama (Asia) - "Mother"

▶ Asian Cultural Ambassador of the Year - Rain

▶ Best International Entertainer (Asia) - Rain

10 Best International Actors of the Decade (Asia) - Lee Byung-hun, Choi Min-sik

▶ 10 Best International Actresses of the Decade (Asia) - Kim Yun-jin, Kim Hye-soo

Reporter: Lynn Kim lynn2878@asiae.co.kr Editor: Jessica Kim jesskim@asiae.co.kr

<ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr / news.nate.com 1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 / 7

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to veve111 at EverythingLBH for the wonderful highlight

Recently actors CMS, LBH and Director KJW visited this coffee shop for the film-shooting location scouting: narvik.co.kr

And, the owner said the movie be start shooting at their cafe in May

April 6, 2010

More info about ISTD, the actress (probably acting as the fiancee in ISTD): blog.naver.com

4494888869_80191e079c_o.jpg

Archived