❤️Kim Soo Hyun ❤️ 김수현❤️

swingbaby

“Producer” Struggles with the Pressure of Product Placements

“Producer” Struggles with the Pressure of Product Placements

The staff of KBS‘s drama “Producer” is in a happy yet difficult situation. Starring some of the hottest Hallyu stars in the industry like Kim Soo Hyun, Gong Hyo Jin, IU, and Cha Tae Hyun, the production team was able to cover much of the production cost of this drama through the sales of overseas licensing rights and indirect advertising (product placement ads- PPL). But what happens when everyone wants a (bigger) piece of the pie?

Approximately 400 million won (around 360,000 USD) is spent for every episode of “Producer,” making the total budget of the drama 4.8 billion won (around 4.4 million USD). Fortunately for the production team, it was able to sell licensing rights  to Sohu, a Chinese televising site, even before the premiere at the incredible price of 2.5 billion won (around 2.2 million USD). The production also grossed around 2 billion won (1.8 million USD) through PPL. Sponsored clothing, as well as furniture, drinks, food, and other various products and brands are funding the drama production through their product placement advertisements seen throughout the drama.

The problem is, those companies are hoping for what they call “Kim Soo Hyun effect,” meaning they are really pressuring the production company to effectively use the fact that the incredibly popular Kim Soo Hyun is in this drama to advertise their products to a large audience.

The reality is, though, “Producer” mainly focuses on the variety department’s producers and celebrities, and is centered around what happens in broadcasting studios and offices. This means that there are lots of rules that the crew has to go by to keep the story realistic, which also means there are limits to certain props and fashion styles. Moreover, the staff of the drama are worried because excessive PPL may interrupt viewers and the smooth flow of the story.

One representative of “Producer” says, “It is true that Kim Soo Hyun’s domestic and overseas popularity helps PPL, which especially targets Chinese markets. The staff and the writer are paying close attention not to break the flow of the drama [with these advertisements.]”

Source (1)

credit: http://www.soompi.com/2015/05/21/producer-struggles-with-the-pressure-of-product-placements/

• Like 7

Guest iamaryn

I think this is the "Kim Soo Hyun" effect those advertisers are looking for..however, in dramas, it would be nice if they don't bluntly use PPL. People nowadays have ways of knowing brands without actually showing the brand right and they seem to have a greater effect on sales.

‘The Producers’ Episode 3 To See New Director’s Style; 2NE1’s Sandara Park, WINNER’s Kang Seung-yoon, EXID’s Hani To Star In The Series

The first two episodes of the Korean drama "The Producers" recorded double-digit ratings, 10.1 and 10.3, but online comments suggest that the show has failed to meet the viewers' high expectations. Its experimental style has not been appreciated by everyone. The upcoming third episode is likely to shed that style, as director Pyo Min Soo is completely taking over the reins of direction.

Independent film director Yoo Sang Ho had signed on to helm the much-hyped show, but the responsibility was later given to Min Soo, according to Soompi. The first two episodes of "The Producers" reportedly contained scenes that were filmed by Sang Ho as well as Min Soo. On the other hand, episode 3 has all the scenes directed by Min Soo.

"Starting from episode three, you will see Director Pyo Min Soo's work and his style in the drama. What Director Yoo Sang Ho filmed came out in parts up until episode two," a representative of the show said, as quoted by Soompi.

It is expected that this switch in director will make the show focus on the stories of the four characters--Tak Ye-jin (Gong Hyo-Jin), Ra Joon-mo (Cha Tae-hyun), PD Baek Seung-chan (Kim Soo-hyun), and Cindy (IU)--and not on the experimental style.

Meanwhile, Korean idols 2NE1's Sandara Park, WINNER's Kang Seung-yoon, and EXID's Hani are set to make appearances in the upcoming episodes of the KBS2 drama, K Pop Herald reported. They will be seen competing to star in the fictional "2 Days 1 Night," which is based on the real reality-variety show of the same name.

The first two episodes of "The Producers" showed that senior PD Tae-hyun has been asked to revamp his "2 Days 1 Night" and rope in new cast members for it. According to the report, Sandara and Seung-yoon will get to star as regular members of the show, but Hani will fail to make it to the final round.

Source:Chinatopix

http://www.chinatopix.com/articles/50802/20150519/the-producers-episode-3-will-see-new-director-s-style-2ne1-s-sandara-park-winner-s-kang-seung-yoon-exid-s-hani-to-star.htm

• Like 6

Viewers will empathize with Kim Soo Hyun’s “cruel work” in the “Producers”
translated by Pechumori

tumblr_nor4e2fMOS1u0s9l5o1_540.jpg

Kim Soo Hyun sets out to attract the audience by showing the “cruel work” of new employees.

Last May 19, an official from the KBS2TV entertainment drama, “Producers” revealed that, “In the episodes of the Producers that will be aired on the 22nd and 23rd, the viewers sympathy will increase as they will see the sorrows that new employees have to endure.”

The official said “The Producers will show the cruel work of newbies as sincerely portrayed by Kim Soo Hyun who plays the role of Baek Seung Chan. Previously in the first two episodes, Baek Seung Chan gets entangled in an ill-fated relationship with Tak Ye Jin from where his sufferings began.”

Earlier, Tak Ye Jin accidentally hit the car door belonging to Baek Seung Chan’s father and expressed in a roundabout way that she doesn’t want to pay for repairs. However, Baek Seung Chan did not have the good sense to understand that and cited the cost of the repairs, thereby igniting the hatred of Tak Ye Jin towards him.

The official said “The harassment of Tak Ye Jin on Baek Seung Chan is easily something that you can sympathize with. Anyone in the audience who has experienced how it is to be a new employee would be able to empathize with him.”

He added, “The hatred of Tak Ye Jin towards Baek Seung Chan will show the reality of life of the new employees in this era. It will appear in various episodes to offer a sense of fun to the viewers.”

The official said “Producers will not only stir the viewers hearts with a story about office romance in an entertainment station, but will make them empathize with the life of the new employees, as well as with those who have worked for years but would not want to speak their minds. They could also draw necessary tips for social life as portrayed through the characters.

http://star.mt.co.kr/view/stview.php?no=2015051907524867815&type=1&outlink=1

• Like 5

Soo hyun may have other good dramas and good characters on his belt but Sam dong will always have the biggest space in my heart..I guess it was because it was the first drama where he was the main character and his character was so likable from the get go that  was rooting for him to be K and I was so glad he indeed was K. 

bYYO4Bl.jpg

93QyUZb.jpg

that's why I guess  am also anticipating the transformation of Baek Seung chan character. So far, Episode 3 is daebak much much better than the first 2 episodes...

BSC looks adorably cute and I want him to succeed in the end

aS70A3y.gif

• Like 6

Good day~ :) Can I ask a question? :phew:

Sorry to bother you everyone kekeke I'm just new here hehe. :sweatingbullets::sweatingbullets:

Where can I watch The Producer with english subs? :sweatingbullets:

Again, sorry to bother you and thank you. :D:lol:

(is there any rules to follow from this thread? I want to read and understand it for me to be aware. :lol::lol:)

• Like 2