technical question

Guest lalala

vinyl --> mp3 possible???
I've been looking desperately for an instrumental version of Ex-factor by Lauryn Hill, and I found out that YES!! IT DOES EXIST!!! But that it's really, really, reallllllyyyyy rare. So I've been having trouble landing an online store that sells the CD version, but I did find a vinyl version... BUT I need to convert that somehow into an mp3? or something or other so that it can be played in a CD player during performances and yah.... So is it even possible? vinyl --> mp3/CD? Or is there any other possible way? I imagine that playing the vinyl and recording the sound with a tape recorder might work... but then the quality'd be really low and then I'd have to somehow get that onto a CD. Or cutting out the vocals with a sound program? But again, it's needed for performances so the quality can't be crappy... ><!! Sorry, I'm reallllllly ignorant when it comes to anything IT. If the answer to this question is painfully obvious, please feel free to tell me. It's just that I really need this instrumental, and I'm getting desperate. There IS a karaoke version in CDG format, but I'm scared that it'll be an awful synthesizer version that you hear in noraebangs... ahh!! please help!! p.s. I'm not sure if this is posted in the right forum...

Guest sikkony

I've been looking desperately for an instrumental version of Ex-factor by Lauryn Hill, and I found out that YES!! IT DOES EXIST!!! But that it's really, really, reallllllyyyyy rare.

So I've been having trouble landing an online store that sells the CD version, but I did find a vinyl version... BUT I need to convert that somehow into an mp3? or something or other so that it can be played in a CD player during performances and yah....

So is it even possible? vinyl --> mp3/CD?

Or is there any other possible way? I imagine that playing the vinyl and recording the sound with a tape recorder might work... but then the quality'd be really low and then I'd have to somehow get that onto a CD. Or cutting out the vocals with a sound program? But again, it's needed for performances so the quality can't be crappy... ><!!

Sorry, I'm reallllllly ignorant when it comes to anything IT. If the answer to this question is painfully obvious, please feel free to tell me.

It's just that I really need this instrumental, and I'm getting desperate.

There IS a karaoke version in CDG format, but I'm scared that it'll be an awful synthesizer version that you hear in noraebangs...

ahh!!

please help!!

p.s. I'm not sure if this is posted in the right forum...

Hmmm, just hook up your Vinyl playing device to your computer and record. If you can't pass that first step, then you have yourself a problem.

EDIT: I think it would have been better to stick this in the IT section as you'd get more solid responses then.

Guest hmaster

...Brian, but isn't that the point?

Oh of course there's ways to get a vinyl instrumental onto a computer.

Let's consider at the turntable itself. I'm sure your'e familiar with all that stuff like stylus/needle quality, tracking force and what not.

Moving on we need to find a suitable preamp (most old stereos have this) that can amplify the signal before it goes into the computer.

The higher-end ones are RIAA.

you need some sort of A-D (analogue-digital) converter to convert the signal from your turntable to the computer.

So to answer your question, sure it's possible. But there's a fair bit of equipment required.

stylus/needle quality, tracking force, preamp, RIAA, analogue-digital converter??

aw man~ thanks for all the help, but except for the fact that I'll be needing a lot of equipment (including a turntable???) most of that went right over my head

At this point, I think I'll have to settle for ordering the karaoke version and hoping for the best :(

Thanks again for the replies though!!

Archived