Quantcast

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

edward1849

This decade's most influential k-pop artists and songs

I continue to enjoy reading this thread and everyone's thoughts on the most influential artists of the decade. However, from my understanding, this thread was created as a space for you to provide your insights on who you believe is(are) the most influential artist(s), not who you do not believe is(are). Yes, everyone has their own opinions and theirs is just as valuable as yours. There's no need to point out who you disagree with, etc. Please stick to the rules.

the past 10 years? Boa, Brown Eyes, JYP(he has done it all and influences so many) DBSK, Yun Do Hun(sp)[

Guest Eltoshen

BoA, DBSK, G.O.D and H.O.T come to mind automatically.

Especially BoA. This girl basically opened the past decade to KPOP (internationally, at least).

Hm. pushing aside most of my biased fanatic girl-ism aside. i'm going to try this.. I'm probalby going to list off more than 10 so just pick and choose. so i'm doing 10 or so bands first and then their songs.. lol.

I guess for the ones who really brought kpop into the scene within korea.. (I'm going to say seo tae ji but they aren't within the past decade) so.. one or two probably from: HOT, GOD, shinhwa, S.E.S, FINKL.

BoA is amazing for what she's been able to do in japan and korea. i think she has a record with the oricon charts.. from what i searched on wikipedia anyway..

TVXQ b/c they've been on world record for having the most fans worldwide = hence influential. and considering their album sales, and even if they are somewhat inactive right now in korea, they still win awards here and there. I think they are also one of the first to win an award at the right beginning of their debut. the only ones that were able to that were i think seo tae ji or something. (i don't remmeber what award itwas but I remember xiah talking about it at some interview). probably around their rising sun days. haha can you tell i'm a fan? honestly look at their single "break out" it wasn't even out and it reached like #1. cassies are nuts. but tvxq is without a doubt, influential.

wondergirls for their hit songs one after another. i personally don't like them like super crazily. but I think that they are notable in mentioning. i think they brought out the concept of having an addictive dance/catchy song and literally took korea by storm in terms of their songs, tell me, so hot, and nobody. plus, they are probably the closest to being successful in terms of hitting the american market.

JYP. for his singing career but also his entertainment. etc.

rain probably since he's been listed countless times as being a very influential entertainer.

maybe hyori? for being in FINKL and also, having hit songs/modeling as well as being in FO and other things. that basically "ruined" her image but made her popular. i think she's interesting b/c she was really one of the very first ones at lesat girl artists to do that. (showing like no face makeup and stuff like that. and showing a different side of her which others followed)

super junior - hm. i think b/c they were the first like super sized group and then there's shindong who completely doesn't look like he could fit the idol status. and they went into different variety programs and came with a more "friendlier" image than a distanced image like most idols.

epik high - i'm not a fan so i seriously know like zero. but they have their crazy hits and the majority of their song is rap so it's pretty different from the others.

SNSD - gee and genie. especially gee. and they brought some interesting fashion concept to korea too. they became popular pretty darn fast.. i mean remember the silent treatment that they got at one of the concerts in the beginnings? i think the number of antis also tell the amount of popularity they've received at the time.

these are a "maybe" : mainly cuz while i know that they are successful but how "influential" are they... is kinda questionable.

Big Bang - i think their solo activities are worth mentioning. like GD and taeyang especially. and they obviously have their hit tracks. "lies" "sunset glow" etc etc. i think they were definitely one of the first mainstream artists to bring like a "hiphop" style into kpop. (i could be wrong, but they were the first for me) especially if you listen to their old stuff, it sounds really different from the kpop we know and are familiar with. and their success in japan.

drunken tiger/tasha - i think they are more popular underground. definitely though popular with the people who enjoy more "hiphop" than "pop"

the last two are relatively new so iono if the word "decade" really fits. but their popularity i think makes them worth mentioning. at least I would if I was writing a paper or whatever on it.

2PM - i think they are the group that will lead the next generation of crazy fans. especially after jaebum incident and all the flashmobs around different places.. plus they were given a daesang and it hasn't been that long since they debuted. they are definitely the "hot item" in terms of idols currently.

2NE1 - they are pretty revolutionary. i think. they brought that "hiphop" style in a girl's group. and then there's that funky, outer spacey fashion. and they are very very successful. their song fire is like.. iono it reached unbelievable popularity. plus they don't really look like idols? like they have the charisma but they were a package of something completely unexpected but completely amazing.

OK SONGS. when i think of songs. i wrote down the ones that really helped them to reach the peak of their career or jump started it or something. they aren't necessarily my favorites.

HOT - candy <-- seriously a korean that doesnt know this song is not a kpop fanatic.

wondergirls - tell me

KISS - b/c i'm a girl <-- i don't think their group was successful, but the song fsho was. as well as the MV.

SNSD - gee

TVXQ - rising sun

BoA - no.1 (?) probably...? or my name.

hyori - 10 minutes

FINKL - forever love. or now.

2ne1 - fire

shinhwa - perfect man. or brand new.

rain - it's raining.

big bang - lies.

2pm - again & again.

BEG - abracadabra <-- just cuz the style was so different. from the usual. not to mention the level of sexuality it implied. and how receptive the conservative koreans were.

adult ceremony <-- i forgot the artist name. but it was sooo controversial when it came out.

god - ummm the only one i'm familiar with is "dear mother" but i'm not sure how much of a hit it was.

the other artists.... i'm not sure what their hit songs are b/c iono them that well.

freak. longest post i've ever written. i like reading other people's posts too :]. it's interesting. OMFG. MY MIDTERM. T.T

i don't think newcomers like 2ne1 or something should be on the list, because, although i really love them and their music, they came too early to be the decade's most influential k-pop artists...

(not in any order of any kind, haha)

1. Shinwa

2. BoA i mean the girl conquered korea and japan before she even went into high school. then after that she TOTALLY rocked korean and japan again, so many times, and then she even went over to AMERICA. give her some credit!

3. Rain

4. Epik High

5. DBSK

6. SNSD to have a billion antis and turn those billion antis INTO FANS has to be a record of some kind. people went from giving them silent treatment to getting restraining orders from cheering too crazily in like 2 years. they changed the way people thought about their style and gained the respect of all the fans!

7. Big Bang

8. Lee Hyori

9. Drunken Tiger

10. Wonder Girls

I CANT DECIDE!!!!!1111

TOO MANY TALENTED PEOPLE!!! @_@

i think as long as you have

1. male senior group

2. female senior group

3. male solo singer

4. female solo singer

5. male idol group

6. female idol group

and then the rest can be just... yeah. as long as theres 2 old school groups, 2 solo singers and 2 idol groups each female and male, this list should be PWNAGE!!!

:DDD

For me, its:

1. BOA

2. Rain

3. Big Bang

4. Epik High

5. DBSK

6. Clazziquai

Guest susu-edible

i don't think newcomers like 2ne1 or something should be on the list, because, although i really love them and their music, they came too early to be the decade's most influential k-pop artists...

(not in any order of any kind, haha)

1. Shinwa

2. BoA i mean the girl conquered korea and japan before she even went into high school. then after that she TOTALLY rocked korean and japan again, so many times, and then she even went over to AMERICA. give her some credit!

3. Rain

4. Epik High

5. DBSK

6. SNSD to have a billion antis and turn those billion antis INTO FANS has to be a record of some kind. people went from giving them silent treatment to getting restraining orders from cheering too crazily in like 2 years. they changed the way people thought about their style and gained the respect of all the fans!

7. Big Bang

8. Lee Hyori

9. Drunken Tiger

10. Wonder Girls

I CANT DECIDE!!!!!1111

TOO MANY TALENTED PEOPLE!!! @_@

i think as long as you have

1. male senior group

2. female senior group

3. male solo singer

4. female solo singer

5. male idol group

6. female idol group

and then the rest can be just... yeah. as long as theres 2 old school groups, 2 solo singers and 2 idol groups each female and male, this list should be PWNAGE!!!

:DDD

ShinHwa, not Shinwa.

Thank you.

Guest bigcitydreams82

When I think of kpop from 2000-2010, I usually exclude all the new idol groups even though I love the new idol groups more than the older ones...

So here goes my list:

Rain. It's obvious isn't it? Started with JYPE and "Bad Guy." Ended up in a ninja-kickin' movie for Hollywood.

Lee Hyori. She's an icon.

Wonder Girls. They've started so many catchy dance trends and they're about to make it in the US.

BoA. She took over and I mean took over the kpop/jpop scene for a while.

DBSK, even though I've never liked them, lol... Just 'cause they're so popular and instrumental for generating interest in the kpop scene.

Shinhwa. They were reallyyy big before the army/solo ambitions split them up.

Guest Rtruong

Fly to the sky mentioned only twice. They had monster hits throughout the decade!

Guest YamapiFaN!

Most Influentials..

1 - Wheesung - Reasons? One of the best voices and his style has inspired many in Korea.Debut 2002, in 2003 best selling artist, 2004 top10 anual chart,2005 top 10 anual chart,etc songs? - With Me - Anh Dwe Na Yo - I´m Missing You or A Story I Can't Tell

2 - Park Hyo Shin - Songs? Snow Flower - Good Person

3 - 1TYM - Songs? One Love - Without You

4 - Big Mama - Best Female Group in Decade, Songs? Break Away

And one more thing, YG-M.Boat until 2006, they changed the music in Korea, They bet on good voices, good Live Singers and good songs.

Currently still have good voices, but their philosophy has changed. The current YG no resemblance to what it was.

Guest hongkified

HOT HOT HOT

this is the group that started it all.

the one that bring SME (and ultimarely KPOP as after that everyone follow sme's strategy) into great height? = HOT

the oen who started the whole kpop fandom and its crazy fans? = HOT (erm..the epic HOT fans vs Jekki fans war anyone?)

Invited to MTV ? = HOT

start the wholeeeeee balloon/color for fc system? = HOT

the owner of WHITE for the past decade without anyone drae to steal that color? = HOT

i can come out with more reason but i am lazy but yes..HOT should be at the top of this list ^^

tq.

Guest xika_1

for me, it got to be TVXQ! i'm from Malaysia n i'm crazy about them. i used to critic them but fall in them eventually. at first i though they r all no good and only rely on their look. now, their voices are everything i need to go through life.they managed to influence me not only on their ability but also through their hardwork, making me wanna do n give my best in everything.they are having probs now, but as what we can see, they can survive by their own.each of them can debut as a solo,but they r stil together. the hardwork,group work and their effort are not to be excluded.without them, i know nothing about korea, n japan. their song whatever they say stil captivates me n their songs grow with them. how i hope they to be known worlwide.they r also be frank in everything, something which is lacking in other group.they r so talented, n if they produce an album , it is really worth buying as all of the songs r soooooooo wow.plus, they also involve in many charities.they r just so wonderful. :lol:

Guest Psych_

I believe this is my first post here...

This is only my opinion, and I can only talk about music from 2005 onwards, since then is when I started with K-pop.

My list would be:

1. TVXQ: Since the other legendary boybands were off stage (not bashing, I'm just saying TVXQ eventually "received the title"), they took leadership of K-pop scene by setting unavoidable trends of music and clothes, way to act on stage and what to do next to keep being the "best". A recent example of this was MIROTIC. What they did there changed everything from clothes to music to concepts once again and all of the other male stars started following. Now with all the drama it's maybe their time to pass the title to another group, but I'm pretty sure their fans won't take that so easily. I actually like those crazy Cassies.

2. BIGBANG: Mostly because they're the only exception to what I said before. They were the first group I saw being successful without following the TVXQ model in the mainstream (I hate that word too) K-pop scene. Then came the long list of groups we all know, taking hip-hop and electronica and combining it with the commonly used formula until that point. Props to them actually, we would be still listening to H.O.T/g.o.d/Shinhwa/TVXQ kind of music if they didn't prove that something different would work.

Others would be:

- BoA: First big international star I met, and ever since she's been successful.

- 2NE1: for doing the same as BIGBANG for girl groups, but at a higher scale, in my opinion.

- Lee Hyori: Sex symbol and music icon, and I'm not even a fan of hers.

- S.E.S. and Fin.K.L: I don't know much about them, but all current girl groups still sound like them. (Excepting for the ones after 2NE1).

That's all I can remember right now!

Guest isabel8792

:P HERE IS MY TOP PLAYLIST

DBSK

FT ISLAND

SS501

SHINEE

BIGBANG

SUPER JUNIOR

2PM

.....well i am from PERU...and here are a lot of fan clubs to support this bands........and you know...there is a long distance from PERU to KOREA...so i consider this bands like an inernational korean movement....but it is just my opinion!!!! (n_n)!

Guest HyunJoongie

HOT HOT HOT

this is the group that started it all.

the one that bring SME (and ultimarely KPOP as after that everyone follow sme's strategy) into great height? = HOT

the oen who started the whole kpop fandom and its crazy fans? = HOT (erm..the epic HOT fans vs Jekki fans war anyone?)

Invited to MTV ? = HOT

start the wholeeeeee balloon/color for fc system? = HOT

the owner of WHITE for the past decade without anyone drae to steal that color? = HOT

i can come out with more reason but i am lazy but yes..HOT should be at the top of this list ^^

tq.

TOTALLY SECOND THIS!!!

If it wasn't for H.O.T., can we imagine where would the "kpop scene" be at this years?

seriously, all artists nowadays, even though if they don't say it, they at least know the coreography

to CANDY!

their Chinese fan club had more than 8million members!!

Koreas national schools gave permission to exit early because of an H.O.T. concert...

Transportations... like trains, etc work FOR EXTRA HOURS, just because lots of H.O.T. fans needed

transportation after an H.O.T. concert...

all albums sold more than 1million copies......

ON TOP OF ALL THIS, IT'S LIKE A BOYBAND WHO'S LYRICS WHERE ABOUT SOCIAL PROBLEMS!!!! it made people listen somehow.... nowadays all kpop groups sing love songs....

really want more reasons???

plus other artist I really support is Park Hyo Shin, who is celebrating his 10 year anniversary for his career...

his voice is unique, seriously, even though he isn't much known, HE DESERVES IT, really there is so little

people who have a talented voice such as he does... and Snow Flower is a really known song.... Babo and What I Couldn't Do For You with others are such amazing songs.....

and of course, we can't forget G.O.D., FTTS, S.E.S.. and other pioneers..... they really had a huge impact in kpop, and along with H.O.T.. they will ALWAYS be remembered like this... EVEN IF DECADES PASS!

greetings from Paraguay, South America, believe it or not, even in this little, unknown country, KPOP IS WITHIN OUR LANDS! LOL

Guest didibabez1

Fly to the sky mentioned only twice. They had monster hits throughout the decade!

I agree, they were strong for a whole decade. FLY TO THE SKY...... can't forget them.. They are the best!!!! They are the reason why I am in to KPOP today.....

Guest tiffanydawn

WONDER GIRLS - admit it, they started the 2nd generation girl group power. Tell Me was like a crazy hit. lol. okay i may be biased but it's really true :D:P

others:

Shinhwa, BoA, Bi, Se7en, Hyori (as a solo artist), DBSK, Big Bang, HOT, GOD, SES, Finkl, SNSD and Epik High :)

Guest Anathebassist

I've read a lot of people's response and personally there are some groups that i agree with and some that i find do not fit in the profile of what should be considered as the most influential artist of the decade. It's worth noting that being influential in this case does not necessarily translate into being a hallyu star because there are many influential singers in Korea who simply did not break into other entertainment markets but their own. With that said these are some of singers that i believe are really influential in the korean music industry.

1) H.O.T - H.O.T in my eyes was the group that really started the whole male idol group craze. Although the group has disbanded, they set the grounds for more successful male idol groups opening up more paths for their then fellow label mates Shinhwa.

2) Seshs Kies - I'm surprise that no one mentioned them. The one time rivals for H.O.T they were the group that defied many stereotypical Gayo traditions by tampering with several different styles of music. It wasn't that far of a stretch to say that their final dream concert was one of the best performances the group has given in their career.

3) G.O.D - JYP's first experiment with a male group and so far still his best. G.O.D surpasses everyone expectation as a doom to fail group caused by the eccentric group members. Selling over one million is just one of the many things this group has achieve. They also proved a point that other than depending on looks alone pure talent is still important in breaking through the korean entertainment market.

4) Shinhwa - Has mentioned by countless people before one of the longest running groups in the korean industry as of date. Although the group is less active on account of military service, it still has not hinder their popularity. Shinhwa is the definition of a growing group. From their preppy and cute days till the shinhwa we know now, they have exhibited that for a group to be influential one does not have to stick to a specific image but rather grow from it and become the best as they can. This is one of the reasons that Shinhwa has manage to survive as long as they can in the industry. Its their uncanny ability to grow and mature each time.

5)Fly to the Sky - Personally, one of the best R&B duo to date.Although they were originally under SM entertainment, it was when they left SM for PFull Entertainment did they started to really shine with the album Transition. Although the album sold less then when they were under SM, it is vocally one of their best works with songs such as Like a man and Evasion.

6)Boohwal - One of the more prominent Korean rock bands, making music for 24 years. This group has been consistently churning out albums with 11 already under their belt. Kim Tae won is the main reason as to why the band has survived for so long being an extremely gifted in writing songs ranging from rock to ballad all this time. Yes, they've had more lead singers than one could count but the quality of the music is the same. The sound that makes Boohwal distinctively them even with the millions of lead singers is what makes them one of the best rock bands in Korea.

Personally for me these are the more influential groups in the Korean entertainment industry. I'm sure there are more that i haven't mentioned yet but still my list are bias to my thoughts only so it can't be help in that matter.

Guest kawaiimonstarr

definitely BOA and RAIN