Quantcast

Hmm.... Well, she looks like she could play Yoonie's sister... But if she's supposed to be a Joseon princess, then that's unlikely. I can see a good doctor-patient relationship developing between the two characters, where he tries to help her turn back into a princess, and she in turn helps him discover new medical breakthroughs that lead to him to write his medical treatise. But a romance? Not so much.

I was hoping to see Yoonie play a more mature, adult role (like Kang Inho), so the emphasis on "youthful" historical fusion fantasy has me worried... But I trust that he will make a good decision.

Thanks, @rachelyun for your comments. Now I am curious as to what the "MOA" in MOA Entertainment stands for? I'm sure it has a very good meaning. :)

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Vivley said:

Hmm.... Well, she looks like she could play Yoonie's sister... But if she's supposed to be a Joseon princess, then that's unlikely. I can see a good doctor-patient relationship developing between the two characters, where he tries to help her turn back into a princess, and she in turn helps him discover new medical breakthroughs that lead to him to write his medical treatise. But a romance? Not so much.

I was hoping to see Yoonie play a more mature, adult role (like Kang Inho), so the emphasis on "youthful" historical fusion fantasy has me worried... But I trust that he will make a good decision.

Thanks, @rachelyun for your comments. Now I am curious as to what the "MOA" in MOA Entertainment stands for? I'm sure it has a very good meaning. :)

I'm hoping the same thing, it's time to tackle more roles like that.

@panappuru I don't think it's over reacting at all. This casting has me very troubled. It's his comeback drama and I don't wish there to be any controversies surrounding it. Casting a leading lady who is no even of a legal age..I just don't like it. 

@araratr Thank You:wub:

• Like 3

Guest araratr

Good morning from here. It's a new day but I still feel uncomfortable because of that news. :mellow:

But I'll just trust YSY. He will think carefully and I believe that he knows what's best for him. I'm going to support whatever decision he'd make. :)

Oh wait.. It's confirmed?! Ok. I'm good. :(

tumblr_nt37x32fF21taa1z6o2_1280.jpg

Cr. To uploader

PS: @rachelyunnim, I like your post not because I'm happy with the news.. but I can't stop laughing at your "richard simmons" :sweatingbullets:

Yeep...

@araratr After cooling off a little I think I'll have to agree with you. YSY is smart and said that he's looking for a project that will make fans happy, so there must be a missing ingredient in the news that we don't know of, like maybe the story or relationship calls for it or...

I'll just console myself with the fact that at least Kim Sae Ron is cute and I'm willing to watch her! Too many times I drop dramas because of the female lead even though I like the actor. Girl leads are very important! I just hope that the writer will make the princess a good character now, no whininess or mamby bamby stuff. Since it seems like the cast is confirmed, then I'll try to have positive thoughts!

Edit. Honestly, I think I've become a little more excited... I'm really wondering where the story will take us. O.o

• Like 3

Yoon Shi Yoon and Kim Sae Ron to Star in a Historical Fantasy Drama

Yoon Shi Yoon and Kim Sae Ron to Star in a Historical Fantasy Drama

Actors Yoon Shi Yoon and Kim Sae Ron are confirmed to star in a drama together.

They will be starring in JTBC‘s upcoming drama “Mirror of the Witch (tentative title),” which is a fantasy story about a cursed princess named Seo Ri and a vengeful Heo Jun. Heo Jun has never been portrayed this way before in other dramas, so many are curious of how this will turn out.

After being discharged from the military, Yoon Shi Yoon will be starring in his first-ever historical drama. His character Heo Jun is very smart and skilled, but is looked down upon because he is the child of a concubine. So he hides his identity and lives by helping others in need.

Kim Sae Ron’s character Seo Ri is a hidden twin from the king and queen. Her original name is Yeon Hee but she gets cursed and turns into a witch, therefore also changing her name.

Yoon Shi Yoon stated, “I was lured by ‘Mirror of the Witch’ because of its unique story. I think it will be a meaningful project since I haven’t tried a historical drama yet and it’s been a while since I’ve acted. I’m already looking forward to filming. I will try my best to show different charms of Heo Jun that he has never shown thus far. Please give lots of support.”

Kim Sae Ron also said, “I was pulled in by the drama’s strange charms. Seo Ri is born a princess but is a cursed witch at the same time. It overwhelmed me at first to take this role because it seemed like such a good chance in my acting career, but that’s why I am very excited. I will practice hard to please the audience through this well-produced work. Please keep watching.”

Meanwhile, this new drama will air in May.

Source (1)

cr. http://www.soompi.com/2016/03/07/yoon-shi-yoon-and-kim-sae-ron-to-star-in-a-historical-fantasy-drama/

I'll support you my boy! :blush:

• Like 5

Wow, @rachelyun, that photo is just too daebak to not be used for an avatar pic!! But I cropped mine and added some color in a way to show a possible look for the drama.

Thank you, @evie7, here's to hoping Yoonie is a totally convincing character in a major hit drama!

• Like 1

I think I've calmed down, sorry about that richard thing :sweatingbullets: some of you already know I have bad temper... sorry.

I have to say I'm not fully satisfied with this... I still think is wrong a minor playing the role of an adult and probably having a love line with YSY, I hope it's not the case. I'm honestly worried about everything, knets already showed their discomfort about this, and unfortunately if they don't watch it, it's going to fail. I'm also worried about the backlash YSY might get, if there's a love line with her, everybody is going to point their fingers...

To be honest, he deserves better things, though we have to wait and see how is it, it already started with a controversy, which is not good for the drama image. He deserves better, he's a good actor, he suffered a lot in these almost 2 years, and his last projects were not really successful. Right now it's a decisive point for his career.

Although I always support him, I also recognize he sometimes has no luck, just like PM&I, you might remember how the writer gave up in the last part and just put no effort... seriously, he deserves better things.

I'm not saying because she's a kid this going to fail, no! success or failure depend on acting, direction, production, story, some luck and so on. I hope everything will go well for him! I really hope! 

I also this is the last time I complain about her being undergage, I hope, but not promise. Though I haven't really seen her in anything, comments in general are positive about her skills, so I can live with that. 

Let's hope the story that lure him, also lure everyone and we can see a new facet of charming actor YSY and a successful drama with high ratings :D . I'm looking forward to his comeback project. Good luck and fighting!

Please  don't forget to visit the lonely thread of "Mirror of the witch": 

And a picture from today (?) to his visit to a dermatological clinic, seems he's already getting ready to show us his Heo Jun!:blush:

• Like 4

Is the shaman the second lead? I'm okay if so, haha, she has also age gap, but the righ age gap. :D

Spoiler

Fantasy sageuk Mirror of the Witch adds its villainess shaman

by javabeans | March 8, 2016 | 11 Comments

yeomjungah_41.jpg

Now this casting, I can see perfectly: Yeom Jung-ah (My Neighbor’s Wife, Royal Family) is the newest addition to JTBC’s Mirror of the Witch, playing a powerful shaman in a villain’s role. She’d be perfect for that, and I look forward to being unnerved by her steely fierceness.

We also have more description regarding the plot, and I’m finding myself intrigued the more I hear of Mirror of the Witch. At first I was skeptical about taking such a fantasy bent in reimagining the life of a historical figure (Joseon doctor Heo Jun, to be played by Yoon Shi-yoon), but I do find it fascinating to hear the story features a tragic princess who’s cursed with a frozen heart, who then becomes a gray-haired witch (to be played by teenaged Kim Sae-ron).

I can maybe understand why the drama would cast so young if it’s meant to contrast with a silvery, aged appearance. (Though you could still get that contrasting effect with an actress who’s not a legal minor, just putting that out there.) The princess-witch falls in love with the passionate young Heo Jun in this coming-of-age romance fantasy sageuk, which will tie in (fictionally) to the real-life medical text Mirror of Eastern Medicine, giving us the “hidden story” behind the man and his love. Really though, I think we’re best off considering this a wholly fictional world, rather than trying to fit it to what we know of Heo Jun.

yoonshiyoon_79.jpg

Yeom Jung-ah’s character is a shaman who possesses such strong powers that she could change the king if she wanted; she’s skilled in black magic and can even change fates. She can take a piercing look into a person’s heart with one glance and has a mysterious aura marked by an ageless appearance. She plays a pivotal role in the story, starting with using her powers to give the childless queen twins — but that comes with a terrible curse, which is how our princess comes to be born into a dark fate. The princess-turned-witch will later face off against the shaman, I presume to free herself of the curse, making for a tense conflict between the two ladies.

The plot seems fresh for dramaland, so I’m hoping that my misgivings about the casting are unfounded. I do find the age gap awkward between Kim Sae-ron and Yoon Shi-yoon, but hearing what the characters are like, I can understand why those actors were sought out — her with her youthful mix of innocence and tenacity, and him for his ability to add emotional nuance to his boundless energy. I just hope the pairing plays well onscreen, because now I am invested in this storyline. And Yeom Jung-ah is the perfect blend of scary and strong to be our wicked villain; I find her similar to Shin Eun-kyung in range and intensity, and seeing how the latter ruled Village: Secret of Achiara, I’m eager to see how Yeom turns it on for Mirror.

Mirror of the Witch will premiere in May, following Ms. Temper and Nam Jung-ki on JTBC.

Via Osen

cr. http://www.dramabeans.com/2016/03/fantasy-sageuk-mirror-of-the-witch-adds-its-villainess-shaman/

But what's up with the twin sisters? don't tell me the girl is her own second lead...

• Like 3

Why do we assume that leading lady automatically means love interest?  Is there a synopsis of the drama that indicates that it is a romance? 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Jacquelyn Allen said:

Why do we assume that leading lady automatically means love interest?  Is there a synopsis of the drama that indicates that it is a romance? 

Did you read the post above?

" I can maybe understand why the drama would cast so young if it’s meant to contrast with a silvery, aged appearance. (Though you could still get that contrasting effect with an actress who’s not a legal minor, just putting that out there.) The princess-witch falls in love with the passionate young Heo Jun in this coming-of-age romance fantasy sageuk, which will tie in (fictionally) to the real-life medical text Mirror of Eastern Medicine, giving us the “hidden story” behind the man and his love. Really though, I think we’re best off considering this a wholly fictional world, rather than trying to fit it to what we know of Heo Jun. "

Although it's remains to be seen, since the actual cast is confirmed, and might change according to the public feedback.

• Like 1

I had trouble logging in and posting a reply earlier - somehow Soompi brought me to their Wordpress admin page!

but I do find it fascinating to hear the story features a tragic princess who’s cursed with a frozen heart, who then becomes a gray-haired witch

Ah, so there are similarities to Queen Elsa/Princess Anna from the "Frozen" movie. Maybe Kim Saeron will play twin characters like them. And Yeom Jung-ah's character is like a typical fairy tale witch, like the one from "Sleeping Beauty" who curses the princess, or an evil version of Elsa. Now I am interested in seeing a battle between the princess/witch and the shaman!

The princess-witch falls in love with the passionate young Heo Jun in this coming-of-age romance fantasy sageuk, which will tie in (fictionally) to the real-life medical text Mirror of Eastern Medicine, giving us the “hidden story” behind the man and his love.

The "coming-of-age" part bothers me because of the age difference, unless Yoonie is playing someone 10 years younger (which I don't want), or usually these romances are one-sided, with the young woman falling in love with the older man, but it's not reciprocated. However, the end of the quote says "his love", so it seems to be a mutual romance...

Honestly right now I am more interested in the women and their story rather than what happens to Heo Jun. I hope both the princess and the villainous shaman are very strong female characters and not just weak ones waiting to be rescued or vanquished by the doctor.

But with its fantasy element, I can see why the story appealed to Yoonie, since his favorite book is Antoine de Saint-Exupéry's The Little Prince. The writers have their work cut out for them and I hope they don't make a mess of it! It would be even better if Yoonie has significant input on the story line and how it should go. I can see him creating his own drama someday. :lol:

• Like 3

Actor Kwak Si Yang is also confirmed and the articles clearly say "Love triangle", so the love line is undeniable by now; btw actor KSY is only one year younger than Yoon Shi Yoon... so... I wonder how the writer is going to handle this? 

http://entertain.naver.com/read?oid=023&aid=0003152095

I must say I'm worried about writer "Yang Hyuk Moon", I couldn't find anything about him (only one mention in a music show), I guess it's his first time writing a drama. :o It doesn't mean he's bad or good, it's just me, worrying about everything, I need to know his background! :P 

• Like 4

(I keep on debating between where to post my thoughts, here or the drama's thread, but I'm just going to post it here for now and move to the drama thread when more people comment/drama actually starts filming.)

Lurve triangles... are honestly the bane of drama watching these days. So hard to pull it off without ruining a part of the drama and making me annoyed with otherwise perfectly fine characters, plus making me sighhh. Hopefully the princess clearly likes Heo Jun and vice versa while KSY's character will be off in his own little world of unrequited love. :phew: 

@rachelyun Goodness gracious, KSY is 28? -.- I'm more okay with imagining YSY and KSR together (even though YSY is older than KSY), and that's only because I like YSY. Sorry y'all, I'm still wondering why of all actresses in SK they offered the role to KSR. I definitely hope it's not just for publicity and the shock factor in order to create attention. 

Ok, ok. *positive thoughts* ^_^

• Like 4

Oh, I see the title of the drama now - '마녀보감(魔女寶鑑)' - The English word "witch" is correct in the title but doesn't quite capture the context of the Kim Saeron's character. I think a better translation of the title would be:

"Mirror of the Enchantress"

There, now the drama sounds more beautiful and romantic, doesn't it?

But KSY being 28, (even though he looks younger in that photo in the article), and Yoonie being 29 against a 15 year-old? I wonder what the princesses' age is in the drama, 18? While it was common for princesses as young as age 10 to be married off during the Joseon era, nowadays it would not be acceptable. Plus, we are concerned with the actors themselves and how much chemistry would be between Yoonie and Miss Kim. At most I can see the romance being a very innocent, "fairy-tale"-like one.

Writer "Yang Hyuk Moon" has a lot to do to balance all of these elements! Wishing him and the cast success! If nothing else, I hope Yoonie is able to carry the drama just by his powerful acting skills and appeal!

• Like 4

@Vivley I have never seen "Frozen" but I do really find this story really similar to "Sleeping beauty", I actually looking forward to the shaman character, for some reason I always like villains (when they are played by good actors ofc, I heard Yeom Jung Ah is an excelent actress).

Now you mentioned, I think if production and writer let him, I bet he would be willing to add his ideas to his character, like he did in FBND; I hope so, since cable dramas are more flexible.

@panappuruHahaha actually I hope some bromance instead romance :P YSY and KSY have puppy face :blush:

----------------------------------------------------------

There's another thing that caught my attention (I can't control my OCD and I keep digging for more information).

There are three production companies involved, three! Usually it's only one or two... though I don't know if the three are confirmed. Anyway there are:

-"Drama House", their portfolio includes many of JTBC drama, and the acclaimed "Secret Love Affair".

-"Apollo pictures" has some web dramas, and only drama in tvN "Liar game" an awesome drama imo!

-"Media N Art" seems this is his first drama, seems the company works mainly in art exhibitions. And look at this, seems they are really investing in the drama, since even there's English version, it's only an introduction but I like what I see, even the temporary poster is nice:

25337787280_0438d687a3_b.jpg

25006652483_58886c0e40_o.jpg

cr. mnart.co.kr

I feel more positive!

• Like 5

@rachelyun, wow, thank you for the information! Looks like this MEDIA N ART company is putting a lot of work into this and has very ambitious plans for the drama. I like their portrait of Seori. Now they just need one of Heo Jun - but based on their description it seems that the story emphasis is on the princess, and Heo Jun is her helper. But I may just suggest my title translation to them...

If you haven't seen "Frozen" yet, you have to see it - you'll see what I mean about a princess "cursed" with powers (Elsa), and about the "frozen heart" (Anna). Plus it's just such a great movie in of itself, and it's based on the fairy tale, "The Snow Queen". 

And like you I hope Yoonie gets to write some of his part!

• Like 4

I am still going to wait on the actual drama for the storyline (romance if any) to unfold. All we have so far is the media reporting and we all know how accurate they can be!

• Like 3