PP09100900001.JPG

091009_s11.jpg

Guest kdramafanusa

Jang says not calling for a fight with "President"

Reporter : Lee Ji-Hye | seven@10asia.co.kr

기사입력 2009.10.08 23:06 최종수정 2009.10.08 23:06

Press conference for the 14th PIFF opening film "Good Morning President"

2009100820544800734_2.jpg

From left, Pusan International Film Festival Director Kim Dong-ho, "Good Morning President" director Jang Jin, and cast members Jang Dong-gun, Goh Doo-shim, Lim Ha-ryong and Han Chae-young, pose during a photo session of a press conference held on October 8, 2009. [Chae Ki-won/10Asia]

The 14th Pusan International Film Festival (PIFF) kicked off Thursday with an opening ceremony and the much-anticipated South Korean film "Good Morning President".

The fest made an unprecedented move this year to "invigorate the stagnant domestic film market" by choosing the comedy by director Jang Jin who is better known for his commercial success. And heartthrob Jang Dong-gun played one of the presidents in the story about the lives of three different presidents -- a reality women would only dream of.

A press conference took place after a screening for the film set for release in theatres on October 22.

2009100820544800734_5.jpg

South Korean director Jang Jin [Chae Ki-won/10Asia]

Q:I was reminded of a particular South Korean president while watching this film about three presidents. Did you not choose a particular president as a model or refer to him?

Jang Jin (Jang): I'd never thought it would be necessary to do any studying for the film so I didn't do any research on presidents. I didn't have a certain president in mind. I was born in the 70s and had become used to the sovereign-type presidents. So I felt a distance from them but I wanted to start understanding them and I thought I would be able to do it well if I did it in my movie. I think what is lamentable about it is we were half-way into shooting the film when our country lost two presidents. In a way, I wanted to see them also watch this movie and laugh at it heartily [but they can't] so I was upset and sad. If a certain president popped into your mind while watching the film, I'm guessing that it's probably the same president that five out of ten people were also reminded of. I didn't intend on it but our presidents usually experience a lot of dramatic experiences so you may relate the story to someone from a certain period.

Q: You said your film is not about a certain president but "President" reflects a lot on South Korea's political situation.

Jang: Though the film is about presidents I thought there wouldn't be any political questions after watching it. And it's because I did not try to deliver any political messages in it. I think you can look at the movie from two perspectives. One is that we may be able to understand presidents better by seeing how they pull through political situations that we experienced and when they are faced with certain situations themselves. We may also feel some satisfaction from the film by meeting the presidents everyone dreams of. But the movie, in no way, was made with the intention of criticizing the path of any past or current administration. If I wanted to, we are living in times where we can say so ourselves directly rather than expressing it indirectly through a movie.

2009100820544800734_4.jpg

South Korean actress Goh Doo-shim [Chae Ki-won/10Asia]

Q: Is there any particular reason you had three presidents appear in the film instead of one?

Jang: Three presidents seemed most ideal. And it would've also been difficult to fill up the ideal running time for commercials films which is between 90 to 100 minutes. I personally wanted portray presidents before, during and after their term with the one currently in office at the center of the film. I also wanted to show the story so that the presidents before and after would all just be the same human being.

Q: Your hair and wardrobe are extremely unconventional today unlike the image of the female president you played in the film.

Goh Doo-shim: Who says I can't go punk just because I played a president? (laugh) I actually wear this hairstyle often when I'm in a good mood. I like it and I really went all out to match this extremely fun and happy occasion. I wanted to show people that I can be like this too by losing the usual loose and baggy pants I wear for playing roles of elder women. I remember seeing an article earlier on which said "Goh Doo-shim pretties up". (laugh)

2009100820544800734_6.jpg

South Korean actor Jang Dong-gun [Chae Ki-won/10Asia]

Q: President Cha Ji-wook inside the film is scared of three things, namely bad drinking habits, his son's questions and candlelight vigils. What are the three things the real Jang Dong-gun is most scared of?

Jang Dong-gun (Jang DG): One of the things I'm always scared about are the netizens. Because the netizens are the audience. And another thing I get scared of around this time of the year, are yourselves -- the reporters -- and the critics. Usually I'm not but I'm scared when I have to be evaluated for a movie. (laugh)

Q: We heard that you have to drink beer if you start worrying too much because you suffer from insomnia. How many sleepless nights did you spend and how much beer did you consume after choosing this movie which is your first in four years?

Jang DG: I didn't worry over my choice of film but I couldn't sleep because I personally was lonely. Like all singles my age are. I once appeared on a talk show and said I drink beer everyday before going to sleep and some people took it seriously but it's not -- it's to an extent that I can enjoy. I sleep well these days and I'm excited everyday because I got to shoot a fun film.

Reporter : Lee Ji-Hye seven@10asia.co.kr

Photographer : Chae ki-won ten@10asia.co.kr

Editor : Jessica Kim jesskim@asiae.co.kr

<ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved>

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`

Yonhap News 2009/10/08 18:57 KST

S. Korean comedy narrowly serves its role as PIFF opener

By Shin Hae-in

BUSAN, South Korea, Oct. 8 (Yonhap) -- "Good Morning President," the newest creation of South Korean comedy master Jang Jin, opened the Pusan International Film Festival (PIFF) with laughs Thursday, toiling at its role as the first comedy to open the event in many years. The amount of laughter, however, was frankly below anticipation.

Director Jang has long been among the most successful directors in the country. But his fame as a comedy master has never quite managed to be exported abroad.

Among other reasons, critics attribute his lack of international fame to the "narrowness" of his themes. In other words, Jang's films are "too Korean" to be understood and loved by international audiences, they say.

For this reason, the decision by PIFF -- which uses the old Romanization of the southeastern port city's name -- to screen Jang's movie as its opener was considered both brave and risky to many people. "…President" is the first domestic movie to open the largest South Korean film festival in three years.

Proving his talent in mixing and balancing different episodes and characters, Jang features three presidents and their stories in one movie.

President Kim Jeong-ho, played by veteran actor Lee Sun-jae, is nearing the end of his term and is torn between a pledge he made to the people and personal greed when he wins the lottery.

President Cha Ji-wuk, played by Korean Wave star Jang Dong-gun, is a single father and the youngest president in South Korean history. A hard-liner in diplomacy, Cha is forced to make decisions influencing national security while also facing personal agony.

President Han Gyeong-ja (Goh Doo-shim), the first female South Korean president, struggles as she must balance her roles as a wife and the head of the country.

Through the intertwining stories of the three presidents, each faced with personal troubles that threaten official duty, "…President" manages to bring up the "humane face of politics," in the director's own words.

As in his previous works, there is no "bad guy" in Jang's new movie, keeping audiences at ease throughout the 131 minutes as they ponder whether there is really a human side in politics, which are generally believed to be all show and business.

As another strong point, domestic fans will immediately warm up to the film as they detect glimpses of two presidents who died this year. Although Jang says he "did not have special role models" for the three presidents in his movie, some episodes remind the audience of the late Presidents Roh Moo-hyun and Kim Dae-jung, who passed away in May and August, respectively.

Whether such characteristics will also touch the hearts of international audience remains a question.

"I did not make this movie with political intentions," director Jang said during the opening press conference Thursday. "I just wanted to show people that presidents, like us, have worries and are often faced with trivial but difficult choices."

"The selection of my movie as the opening film has a big meaning for all comedy filmmakers," he added. "I am grateful on behalf of all of them and hope the movie fulfills its role to create a festive atmosphere."

Born in 1971, Jang has worked in a variety of positions, including playwright and director. Debuting as a director with "The Happenings" in 1998, he secured a stable fan base at home with "The Spy (2000)," "Guns and Talks (2001)," "Someone Special (2004)," and "The Big Scene (2005)," which are all doing relatively well at the domestic box office.

Starting with "…President," the 14th PIFF will run for nine days through Oct. 16, featuring 355 films from 70 countries as the largest of the annual event to date.

Established in 1996, the South Korean festival has since grown into one of most influential film fests in Asia, focused on discovering new films and first-time directors from across the region.

Up to 98 films will be screened for the first time during the festival, which will be held at six major theaters and art houses in Busan under 11 categories.

hayney@yna.co.kr

(END)

Guest kdramafanusa

The Korea Times 10-08-2009 21:39

Actress Jeon to Get French Knight Order

091008_p17_jeon.jpg

Actress Jeon Do-yeon

The French government will award Korea's highly-acclaimed actress Jeon Do-yeon, with the title of the Knight of the Order of the Legion of Honor, France's highest (Chevalier de l'Ordre de la Legion d'Honneur), her agency said Thursday.

Launched in 1802 by Napoleon, the Legion of Honor is granted regardless of the nationality of its recipient.

The title recognizes Jeon's contribution to the culture and art fields, especially her efforts to promote Korean cinema in France. She won the Best Actress Award for her leading role in Lee Chang-dong's "Secret Sunshine'' at the 60th edition of the Cannes Film Festival in 2007.

The award ceremony will take place at the French Night event on the sideline of the Pusan International Film Festival (PIFF), which started on Thursday in the nation's largest southern port city.

Jeon spent five years starring in television dramas before achieving instant star status with her film debut opposite Han Seok-gyu in "The Contact." She has established a reputation as a "chameleon" who can take on a wide variety of roles, from her performance as a doctor in the hit melodrama "A Promise," to that of a wife having an adulterous affair in "Happy End."

The 36-year-old won a number awards with "Secret Sunshine."On the heels of the Cannes' win, Jeon took home the special award from Korea's Daejong Film Festival, the Okgwan Order of Culture Merit from the Korean Ministry of Culture and Tourism, and the Best Actress Award from the Asia Pacific Screen Awards (where the film also won the prize for Best Feature Film).

chojh@koreatimes.co.kr

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Yonhap News

Cannes-winning S. Korean actress gets French medal

BUSAN, South Korea, Oct. 9 (Yonhap) -- South Korea's Cannes award-winning actress Jeon Do-youn will receive a prestigious cultural honor from France during the ongoing Pusan International Film Festival, the French Embassy in Seoul said Friday.

Jeon, who was named best actress by the Cannes International Film Awards in 2007 for her role in "Secret Sunshine," will receive the medal from the French government for her "superb acting" in an array of films and her win in the French film fest, the embassy said.

20091009144917_bodyfile.jpg

Jeon will receive the Chevalier des Arts et Lettres medal during "French Night," an event scheduled for Saturday and prepared as part of the ongoing South Korean film festival that opened in this southeastern port city on Thursday.

The medal, established in 1957, is awarded to those who have made noteworthy contributions to the arts.

South Korean actor Lee Byung-hun and director Lee Chang-dong also received the medal in 2006.

hayney@yna.co.kr

(END)

Guest kdramafanusa

Source: ABC News + The Associated Press

Pusan Festival Opens With Korean Political Comedy

Pusan Festival Opens With Lighthearted Look At South Korean Presidency

By MIN LEE AP Entertainment Writer

BUSAN, South Korea October 8, 2009 (AP)

6cf68598-bb6b-45a0-a3fe-7ca1a7538708_mn.jpg

South Korean director Jang Jin, left, and actor Jang Dong-gun smile during a press conference to promote their opening movie "Good Morning President" during the Pusan International Film Festival in Busan, south of Seoul, South Korea, Thursday, Oct. 8. 2009. (AP Photo/Ahn Young-joon)

(AP)

One of Asia's top film festivals opened Thursday by taking a lighthearted look at the South Korean presidency.

Jang Jin's "Good Morning President" playfully examines the personal lives of three successive heads of state - a former dissident conflicted by what to do with a winning lottery ticket; a dashing young politician who juggles a kidney transplant and a standoff with North Korea, and the country's first female leader whose husband's real-estate investments beget a scandal that threatens the presidency and her marriage.

The director told reporters on the opening day of the 14th Pusan International Film Festival that he wanted to show the human side of elected leaders after the end of authoritarian rule in the 1980s. South Korea's military-backed government relented to calls for a presidential election in 1987 after months of massive protests across the country.

"I was born in the 1970s. I grew up in South Korea. I also felt oppressed by a dictator-like president. But as time passed we have people who put in effort so we can feel a little closer to the president," he said after the film's world premiere.

Coincidentally, two real-life former South Korean presidents died while it was filming - Roh Moo-hyun committed suicide in May, when he was caught up in a corruption investigation, and Kim Dae-jung, best known for reaching out to North Korea, died in August.

"I wanted those presidents to see this film and have a good laugh, so I was very sad," Jang said.

The director said while he borrowed from historical events, he didn't base any of his characters on real-life presidents. But there appear to be veiled references. Jang's lottery-winning president, like Kim, is a former dissident. The handsome young president, played by heartthrob Jang Dong-gun, is Kim-like in his willingness to engage the North, refusing a request from the U.S. navy to enter South Korean waters to avoid angering Pyongyang.

ea63e551-83cd-4f93-969a-5214f26489e0_mn.jpg

South Korean Jang Dong-gun arrives to attend a press conference to promote his opening movie "Good Morning President" during the Pusan International Film Festival in Busan, south of Seoul, South Korea, Thursday, Oct. 8. 2009. (AP Photo/Ahn Young-joon)

(AP)

The nine-day, 9.9 billion South Korean won ($8.5 million) Pusan event in the southern beach resort city will show 355 movies from 70 countries - 98 of which will be world premieres.

"Pearl Harbor" star Josh Hartnett and "X-Men" director Bryan Singer will add a dash of Hollywood glamor. Hartnett is promoting his thriller "I Come with the Rain" and Singer will discuss the horror film "Trick 'r Treat," which he produced.

French director Costa Gavras and Italian horror expert Dario Argento are giving master classes, as are Hong Kong director Johnnie To and Venice Film Festival winner Jia Zhangke.

Copyright 2009 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Hollywood Reporter

Film Reviews

Good Morning President -- Film Review

By Elizabeth Kerr, October 08, 2009 02:03 ET

108855-good_morning_pres_good_341x182.jpg

"Good Morning President"

Bottom Line: Enjoyable if flawed political comedy-drama that could use more crankiness.

Given the continuing worries over North Korean nuclear capability and with the first black president in the White House, "Good Morning President" certainly has currency on its side. The latest by writer-director Jang Jin ("Welcome to Dongmakgol") is a wildly erratic comedy-drama about politics, ethics, the price paid for public service -- usually a personal one -- and whatever else seems to have struck Jang as apropos to capital affairs.

Because the film deals -- however briefly -- with Asian geopolitics, it's likely to stoke interest in Asian-focused festivals, and chances at a release in some cosmopolitan centers isn't out of the question for risk-taking distributors. It's a polished film with impeccable production values that goes easy on the head-smacking and cursing so common in Korean cinema. That said, the majority of interest in the film will likely remain regional, and the strong cast could make it a hit a home.

"Good Morning President" takes a look at the Korean presidency from three points of view: Outgoing politico Kim Jong-ho (Lee Soon Jae), wins a lottery jackpot and then waffles over what to do with the money. He buys a ticket as part of a photo-op, but when he wins, he lets loose with some post-presidential fantasizing that makes giving it to charity difficult. His successor Cha Ji-wook (Jang Dong Gun) is a young, handsome single dad ("The JFK of Korea") with a rare tissue type (is that even possible?) faced with a diplomatic conundrum involving the Japanese, American and North Korean militaries that has war implications. And the country's first woman in the Blue House, Han Kyoung-cha (Goh Doo Shim), is plagued by a corruption scandal stemming from a land purchase by her professor husband, Choi Chang-myeon (Lim Ha Ryong), after she suggests moving the capitol out of Seoul.

Had "Good Morning President" stuck to politics, the film could easily have been a revealing look at regional political relations -- even with the laughs -- and as it stands it's a good indicator of how Koreans see their position on the global political stage. Cha's abrasive meeting with the Japanese ambassador during the military kerfuffle is very nearly wish fulfillment that makes it clear the nation still seethes at the prospect of Japanese militarism. Also on the fantasy front is the purity and sanctity of the office. There's no backstabbing or sly deal making in these presidencies. Kim, Cha, and Han are so upstanding in their duties it's enough to make one want to pack up and move to the country.

More interesting, however, is the radical shift in focus, from president to spouse, when Han takes over. Where Kim and Cha held the spotlights during their stories, Han takes a back seat to her husband -- the first First Gentleman -- as if her power emasculated him so badly it was acceptable to move the narrative away from her. That would be a valid film in itself, what with Korea's stubbornly masculine social nature, but it's not this film. We're never given any sort of peek inside Cha's head, and Goh ("Mother") never gets the material or opportunity to really break away from her soft, matronly persona.

As with most of Jang's films, there's comedy woven in with the drama, some of it quite amusing. Lee gives Kim a weary veteran's attitude that makes his segment the strongest of the three. It's the tightest structurally, and doesn't suffer from extraneous elements like a dead-end romance (Cha's old flame E-yeon is a flat, underdeveloped character). Ultimately, "Good Morning President" sticks to lobbing softballs at public office, settling for an "all you need is love" sentiment when it could have said so much more.

Pusan International Film Festival -- Opening film

Sales: CJ Entertainment

Production company: Soran Playment

Cast: Lee Soon Jae, Jang Dong Gun, Goh Doo Shim, Lim Ha Ryong, Han Che Young

Director: Jang Jin

Screenwriter: Jang Jin

Executive Producer: Katherine Kim

Producer: Lee Taekdong

Director of Photography: Choi Sang Ho

Production Designer: Kim Hyo Shin

Music: Han Jae Gweon

Editor: Kim Sang Bum, Kim Jae Bum

No rating, 126 minutes

-------------------------------------------------

Film Reviews

Running Turtle -- Film Review

By Maggie Lee, October 08, 2009 02:42 ET

108859-running_turtle_341.jpg

"Running Turtle"

Bottom Line: A film about a man-hunt with more human drama than chase scenes.

Lee Yeon-woo's "Running Turtle" sets a flabby, ne'er-do-well cop on a hunt for a ruthless fugitive with invincible fighting skills, in a scenario akin to the turtle's race against the hare in Aesop's fable. Not in any rush to cut to the chase, this grassroots action-comedy rambles on about the protagonist's domestic woes and endless screw-ups, but packs a wallop in the final showdown.

The film is a celebration of perseverance, or pure macho pig-headedness. It counts on the audience's sympathy for the underdog, and the Koreans certainly rallied around it, driving domestic boxoffice to about $13 million in a month. It won't necessarily work such wonders abroad though.

Detective Jo Sung-pil is a small potato in a small police precinct. A sloppy loser who's happier hanging out with petty crooks, with no qualms about taking a cut from them, he invites disdain and pity. Leading man Kim Yoon-suk, still hot from starring in "The Chaser," gives the role a softened edge.

Cash-strapped after being suspended for a misdemeanor and afraid to tell his wife, who is as understanding as a fire-spitting dragon, he steals her savings to gamble on a bull-butting match. The bull he bets on turns out to be a dark horse that wins a king's ransom. Unfortunately, his bookie is robbed by Song Gi-tae (Choung Kyung-ho), the most wanted fugitive in the country.

With his squad disowning him and his low life friends giving half-assed support, each attempt to catch Song lands Jo in greater humiliation. Still he persists. The raging bulls are a metaphor for the horn locking between Jo and Song. Their final mano-a-mano actually is slung out in the bull ring, and is edited dynamically to release all the pent-up energy that Jo has been holding in, justifying earlier lulls in pacing.

Although the film bills itself as a comedy, Yee is not out to get belly laughs. Even the supporting cast of spineless cops and hick gangsters are not treated as caricatures. Moreover, his description of Jo's family life is uncomfortably gritty and rather sad. In a nuanced scene, Jo discovers holes in his wife's underpants when he tries to get frisky. There is a long pause before he turns away, and it remains ambiguous whether he is turned off sexually, or whether he is ashamed of being such a useless breadwinner.

Where the film falters is in the image of Song, who is rather bland as a second lead. Looking like a member of a boy band rather than a lethal martial artist, he does not have enough charisma to make a subplot about a young punk who hero-worships him work.

Technical credits and shooting style are both plain, but appropriate for the evocation of shoddy small town life.

Pusan International Film Festival -- Korean Cinema Today

Sales: Showbox/Mediaplex Inc.

Production: Cine2000

Cast: Kim Yoon-suk, Choung Kyung-ho

Director-screenwriter: Lee Yeon-woo

Producer: Lee Choon-yun

Director of photography: Cho Yong-gyu

Production designer: Hong Ju-hui

Music: Jang Youngkyu, Lee Byung-hoon

Editor: Lee Jin, Choe Min-yeong

No rating, 117 minutes

Guest kdramafanusa

This year's Best Actor winner Ha Jung-Woo (for director Lee Yoon-Ki's My Dear Enemy) with director Kim Yong-Hwa and co-stars of "Take Off" - a film which has sold more than 8.3 million tickets thusfar.

20091009092506330.jpeg

2009100823562010031.jpg

N2009100822154608301.jpg

200910082013572100_1.jpg

He mentioned in a recent interview that he will shave his hair completely for his upcoming film "Yellow Sea" which will reunite him with "The Chaser" director Na Hong-Jin and co-star Kim Yoon-Seok. It will start shooting this month which means we won't be seeing him like this for a while.

20091008211317231.jpg

Seol Kyung-Gu - the only star with 2 titles in the All Time Top 5 Best Selling Films: Silmido (2003) and Haeundae (2009).

1_L_1255009673.jpg

Actor Sul Kyung-gu and director Youn Jae-Kyun

PYH2009100816750034400_P2.jpg

Oct. 8, BUSAN, South Korea -- South Korean actor Sul Kyung-gu and director Youn Jae-Kyun (L) pose for photographers during a photo call at the 14th annual Pusan International Film Festival at Suyoungman Yacht Stadium in Busan on Oct. 8. (Yonhap)

S. Korean director Jang Jin

PYH2009100817110034400_P2.jpg

Oct. 8, BUSAN, South Korea -- South Korean director Jang Jin© walks the red carpet with his wife and baby at the 14th annual Pusan International Film Festival at Suyoungman Yacht Stadium in Busan on Oct. 8. (Yonhap)

S.Korean actor Shin Ha-kyun

PYH2009100814780034400_P2.jpg

Oct. 8, BUSAN, South Korea -- South Korean actor Shin Ha-kyun(L), Kim Hye-na© and Jung Yu-mi poese for photographers during a photocall at the 14th annual Pusan International Film Festival at Suyoungman Yacht Stadium in Busan on Oct. 8. (Yonhap)

S.Korean actors Ryu Duk-hwan and Ryu Seung-Ryong

PYH2009100811820034400_P2.jpg

Oct. 8, BUSAN, South Korea -- South Korean actors Ryu Duk-hwan(L) and Ryu Seung-Ryong pose for photographers during a photocall at the 14th annual Pusan International Film Festival at Suyoungman Yacht Stadium in Busan on Oct. 8. (Yonhap)

Pusan International Film Festival

PYH2009100812080034400_P2.jpg

Oct. 8, BUSAN, South Korea -- South Korean actor Lee Duk-hwa(L), actress Moon Hee(M) and director Shin Young-kyun pose for photographers during a photocall at the 14th annual Pusan International Film Festival at Suyoungman Yacht Stadium in Busan on Oct. 8. (Yonhap)

Naver/Daum/Yonhap

Guest mandalaywith

hi

Very good news have. B):rolleyes:

14th Pusan International Film Festival RedCarpet in

Our Han Ye Seul is Best Dresser& Best Star

Worst Dresser is ku Hye Sun.

News here

[최은영의 패셔니스타]레드카펫 세대교체…'한예슬' 최고vs'구혜선' 최악

- 전문가가 뽑은 PIFF 베스트 & 워스트 드레서

20091009125905572.jpeg

▲14회 부산국제영화제 레드카펫 행사에서 의상 하나로 희비가 엇갈린 한예슬과 구혜선.

[이데일리 SPN 최은영기자] '별들의 스타일 전쟁, 올해의 승자는 누구?'

14회 부산국제영화제가 8일 오후 부산 해운대 수영만 요트경기장에서 화려한 막을 올렸다. 올해도 어김없이 국내외 많은 스타들이 부산의 붉은 카펫 위에 섰다.

레드카펫 위 스타들에게선 빛이 났다. 아시아 최대 규모의 영화 축제라는 타이틀에 맞게 올해도 수많은 국내외 스타들이 부산을 찾았고, 레드카펫 위에서 영화의 도시 부산의 밤을 환하게 밝혔다.

올해 부산국제영화제의 주요 패션 코드는 '롱 드레스'였다. 대다수의 여배우들이 롱 드레스로 우아한 자태를 뽐냈고, 동시에 등을 시원하게 드러낸 홀터넥 등의 스타일로 섹시미를 과시했다.

물론 그중에는 난감한 의상 선택으로 패션 감각에 의심을 산 스타도 있었다.

영화제 열기만큼이나 뜨거웠던 레드카펫 위 스타들의 패션 경합. 패션스타일리스트 김우리 비주얼컴퍼니 대표, 남윤희 '싱글즈' 편집장, 장경미 '헤렌' 패션 디렉터 등 이데일리 SPN 스타일 평가단의 도움을 얻어 레드카펫 위 베스트 스타와 워스트 스타를 꼽아봤다.

Best Dresser

20091009125905577.jpeg

▲ 14회 PIFF 베스트드레서 한예슬-고준희-엄지원(사진 왼쪽부터)

◇ 베스트 드레서…'한예슬, 레드카펫 최고 스타 등극'

▲ 한예슬

미녀스타 한예슬이 '레드카펫 퀸'의 오랜 꿈을 이뤘다. 한예슬은 이번 부산국제영화제 레드카펫 행사에서 전통 강호 수애를 제치고 난생 처음 베스트드레서의 영애를 안는 기쁨을 누렸다.

'시상식의 격조와 자신의 개성을 절묘하게 살려낸 선택' '아이보리 홀터넥 드레스와 원포인트 레드의 완벽한 조화' 등 평가위원들 사이에선 찬사가 끊이지 않았다.

이번 영화제에서 한예슬은 아이보리 컬러의 홀터넥 롱드레스로 우아한 아름다움을 뽐내 평가단의 극찬을 받았다. 허리 부위 얇은 레드 새틴 라인과 같은 컬러의 새틴 클러치백 등도 포인트 역할을 제대로 하며 한예슬의 매력을 극대화시켰다는 평가다.

드레스, 헤어, 메이크업, 액세서리 어느 것 하나 과하거나 덜하지 않았다. 한예슬의 사랑스러우면서도 발랄한 매력이 옷 한 벌에 그대로 드러났다.

▲ 고준희

'의외의 복병이 나타났다'

올해 부산국제영화제 레드카펫 행사는 한마디로 이변의 연속이었다. 행사전 관심을 모은 스타들은 2% 부족한 패션 센스로 아쉬움을 남긴 반면, 기대 밖 스타들이 빼어난 드레스 자태를 뽐내고 나서 이목을 끌었다.

올해 부산국제영화제 '최고의 라이징 패셔니스타'는 다름아닌 고준희였다. 흠잡을 데 없이 완벽했다.

고준희는 블랙 컬러의 롱 드레스로 시크하면서도 우아한 아름다움을 뽐낸 동시에 등 부위 자연스런 드레이프 포인트로 여성성을 강조하고, 뒤로 말끔히 빗어넘긴 헤어로는 매니시한 느낌까지 표현해내는 놀라움을 보였다.

여기에 더해진 짙은 레드 립은 이날 고준희가 선보인 패션의 완성이었다고 해도 과언이 아닐 정도로 매혹적이었다.

▲ 엄지원

'비슷한 스타일, 느낌이 다르다~'

올해 부산국제영화제 레드카펫 퀸을 선정함에 있어 막판까지 평가단의 선택을 망설이게 했던 두 여배우가 있다. 블랙 롱드레스에 나란히 레드 립으로 포인트를 준 고준희와 엄지원이 바로 그랬다. 짧은 머리를 뒤로 깔끔하게 넘겨 붙인 헤어스타일도 유사했다.

하지만 평가단은 고민 끝에 두 여배우 모두를 베스트드레서로 꼽기로 했다. 두 사람 모두 너무나 아름다워 어느 한 사람을 선택하고 버리기가 곤란했기 때문이다.

큰 틀에서 스타일은 비슷했으나 두 사람의 느낌은 180도 달랐다. 고준희가 시크하면서도 강한 느낌이라면 엄지원은 세련되면서도 여성스러웠다. 고준희가 이어링과 반지 등 액세서리에서 골드로 포인트를 줬다면, 엄지원은 실버 장식으로 대조를 보인 것도 차이다.

엄지원은 이날 클러치백은 반드시 브레이슬릿을 착용한 왼손에 들어야 시선이 분산되지 않고 시크함이 산다는 패션의 정석도 잊지 않았다.

Worst Dresser

20091009125905582.jpeg

▲ 14회 PIFF 워스트드레서 구혜선-전세홍-김소연(사진 왼쪽부터)

◇ 워스트 드레서…"구혜선, 시상식에 블랙진이 웬말?"

▲ 구혜선

한예슬이 이번 부산국제영화제 최고의 패셔니스타였다면 구혜선은 최악의 패션으로 워스트드레서의 불명예를 안았다.

구혜선은 이번 영화제에서 블랙진에 넥타이, 화이트 셔츠 차림으로 레드카펫을 밟아 평가단을 경악케 했다. 매니시한 느낌을 강조하려 한 것으로 보이나 옷 입기의 기본인 T.P.O(시간, 장소, 상황)를 깡끄리 무시한 스타일로 예의를 갖추지 못했다는 게 워스트드레서 선정의 가장 큰 이유다.

평가위원들은 구혜선에 "어느 누가 블랙진 차림을 레드카펫 룩으로 보겠는가"라며 "매니지한 느낌을 강조하고 싶었으면 턱시도 팬츠 등 다른 방식을 취할 수도 있었을텐데 스타일을 떠나 시상식의 격조를 무시하고 예의를 갖추지 않은 점이 무엇보다 실망스럽다"고 꼬집었다.

▲ 전세홍

'부산 바다에 초록 인어 떴다'

어느 누가 그녀의 기괴함을 따라갈 수 있을 것인가. '레드카펫 악녀' 배우 전세홍이 이번에도 역시 워스트드레서의 악명을 이어갔다.

유난히 반짝였던 초록색 슬리브리스 롱드레스와 과도하게 큰 실버 클러치백, 어느 것 하나 조화로운 구석을 찾기 어려웠다는 평가다. 비키니에 치마를 이어 붙인 듯한 드레스는 스윔웨어를 연상케하기도 했다.

게다가 허리를 강조한 어정쩡한 부위의 노출은 그녀의 몸매를 살리기는 커녕, 매력을 급감시켰다는 지적이다.

▲ 김소연

과감한 드레스가 불러 일으킨 '폭발적인' 반응은 마약과도 같은 것이었던가.

2년 전 부산국제영화제에서 가슴만 살짝 가린 파격드레스로 화제를 모은 김소연이 이번에는 반대로 가슴만 드러낸 노출 패션으로 스타일 리더들의 도마 위에 올랐다.

실패 없는 스타일링의 기본은 원 포인트. 그런데 김소연은 이번 영화제에서 '레드'라는 거대한 포인트에 '노출'이라는 또 하나의 대담한 포인트를 중복 사용해 역효과를 불러일으키는 우를 범했다.

가슴 부분에 마치 벨트를 한 것 같은 디자인이 무엇보다 큰 아쉬움을 남겼다. 가슴 윗부분은 지나치게 타이트하고 허리 부위는 상대적으로 넉넉해 김소연의 아름다운 모래시계 몸매 또한 제대로 살리지 못했다는 지적이다.

(사진=한대욱 기자)

source- http://media.daum.net/entertain/movie/view...86&p=Edaily

PIFF jurists expect to 'discover future'

While film fest awards are naturally given to the most outstanding movies and their creators, jury members of the New Currents Award of the Pusan International Film Festival (PIFF) said Friday they plan to base judgment on "future potential" rather than the current value of the movie, Yonhap News reported.

"We are living in a world where things are more related to quantity and moneymaking than quality (of the film)," said Jean-Jacques Beineix, head of the jury for the New Currents section, during a press conference. "I would rather look into the future. Being among the New Current is a big privilege (for the directors) because you can show what you can do from scratch." The New Currents, the only official competition section for emerging Asian filmmakers in the ongoing PIFF, has been gaining influence throughout Asia during the past few years.

This year's competition drew more interest as Beineix, one of the best known European filmmakers as the creator of "Betty Blue (1986)," was named head of the five-member jury including Korean cinematographer Kim Hyung-koo and Thai director Pen-ek Ratanaruang. "Betty Blue" was nominated for the best foreign film at the Oscars and the Golden Globe Awards and received the top award at the Montreal International Film festival.

Twelve films from 11 countries are up for competition in this year's New Currents. Two selected winners will each receive a cash award of $30,000.

Beineix said he expects "the best as usual," although he has not seen any of the candidates yet.

Source : The Korea Herald

Guest kdramafanusa

PIFF - Day 2 (October 9)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Executioner

director Choi Jin-Ho, Jo Jae-Hyun, Yoon Gye-Sang

PP09100900035.JPG

Jo Jae-Hyun, Yoon Gye-Sang

PP09100900027.JPG

Jo Jae-Hyun

PP09100900026.JPG

Yoon Gye-Sang

PP09100900029.JPG

Maybe

S. Korean actress Sung Yoo-ri and actor Jang Hyuk

PYH2009100909260034400_P2.jpg

Oct. 9, BUSAN, South Korea -- South Korean actress Sung Yoo-ri (L) and actor Jang Hyuk, who star in the new movie "Rabbit and Lizard," pose for a photo during the 14th annual Pusan International Film Festival in Busan on Oct. 9. The movie, about the life of a girl who was adopted by a foreign family at a young age, will be released in South Korea on Oct. 22. (Yonhap)

S. Korean actor Jang Hyuk

PYH2009100909270034400_P2.jpg

Oct. 9, BUSAN, South Korea -- South Korean actor Jang Hyuk, who stars in the new movie "Rabbit and Lizard," greets fans during the 14th annual Pusan International Film Festival in Busan on Oct. 9. The movie, about the life of a girl who was adopted by a foreign family at a young age, will be released in South Korea on Oct. 22. (Yonhap)

S. Korean actress Sung Yoo-ri

PYH2009100909230034400_P2.jpg

Oct. 9, BUSAN, South Korea -- South Korean actress Sung Yoo-ri, who stars in the new movie "Rabbit and Lizard," greets fans during the 14th annual Pusan International Film Festival in Busan on Oct. 9. The movie, about the life of a girl who was adopted by a foreign family at a young age, will be released in South Korea on Oct. 22. (Yonhap)

PYH2009100909250034400_P2.jpg

PYH2009100909240034400_P2.jpg

"Take Off"

L-R: Choi Jae-Hwan, Kim Dong-Wook, Kim Ji-Seok, Ha Jung-Woo, director Kim Yong-Hwa

PP09100900065.JPG

200910091511182100_1.jpg

200910091522322100_1.jpg

S. Korean actor Ha Jung-woo

PYH2009100911170034400_P2.jpg

Oct. 9, BUSAN, South Korea -- South Korean actor Ha Jung-woo, who stars in the new movie "National Athlete," enters the 14th annual Pusan International Film Festival in Busan on Oct. 9. The movie depicts the joy and sorrow of South Korean national ski jumpers. The movie was released in South Korea on Sept. 10. (Yonhap)

S. Korean actor Ha Jung-woo

PYH2009100911210034400_P2.jpg

Oct. 9, BUSAN, South Korea -- South Korean actor Ha Jung-woo, who stars in the new movie "National Athlete," greets fans during the 14th annual Pusan International Film Festival in Busan on Oct. 9. The movie depicts the joy and sorrow of a Korean national ski jumpers. The movie was released in South Korea on Sept. 10. (Yonhap)

Choi Jae-Hwan

image_readtop_2009_526220_1255068978201168.jpg

S. Korean actor Kim Ji-suk

PYH2009100911190034400_P2.jpg

Oct. 9, BUSAN, South Korea -- South Korean actor Kim Ji-suk, who stars in the new movie "National Athlete," enters the 14th annual Pusan International Film Festival in Busan on Oct. 9. The movie depicts the joy and sorrow of a Korean national ski jumpers. The movie was released in South Korea on Sept. 10. (Yonhap)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jang Jin-Young memorial exhibition

PP09100900072.JPG

PP09100900071.JPG

Oct.09, 2009

Pusan Int'l Film Fest Opens

The 14th Pusan International Film Festival kicked off on Thursday in the southern port city also spelled Busan with the opening film "Good Morning President." It will feature a record 355 films from 70 countries.

The opening ceremony for the nine-day event was attended by some 120 Korean actors and over 20 foreign guests including French director Jean-Jacques Beineix, who heads the jury for the New Currents competition.

Some 5,000 outdoor seats were fully occupied by guests and moviegoers, with another 2,000 people surrounding the site to watch the opening.

2009100900507_0.jpg

Kim So-yeon

2009100900507_1.jpg

Chae Min-seo

2009100900507_2.jpg

JungRyeo-won

2009100900507_3.jpg

Choi Kang-hee

2009100900507_4.jpg

Jeon Do-hwan

2009100900507_5.jpg

Han Chae-young

2009100900507_6.jpg

Han Eun-jung

2009100900507_7.jpg

Sung Yu-ri

2009100900507_8.jpg

Josh Hartnett (left) and Lee Byung-hun

2009100900507_9.jpg

Jang Dong-gun

more photos ...

2009100900313_0.jpg

A huge crowd gather for the opening ceremony of the 14th Pusan International Film Festival in Haeundae in the city also spelled Busan on Thursday.

2009100900313_1.jpg2009100900313_2.jpg2009100900313_3.jpg

Credits : englishnews@chosun.com

Guest kdramafanusa

[PHOTO] New Currents jury press conference - 1

Photographer : Lee Ki-bum | metro83@asiae.co.kr

기사입력 2009.10.09 15:54 최종수정 2009.10.09 15:54

2009100915184126446_1.jpg

From left, PIFF director Kim Dong-ho and New Currents Award jury [Lee Ki-bum/Asia Economic Daily]

From left, 14th Pusan International Film Festival (PIFF) director Kim Dong-ho, Thai director Pen-ek Ratanaruang, Turkish director Yesim Ustaoglu, French director Jean-Jacques Beineix, Taiwanese actress Terri Kwan and South Korean cinematographer Kim Hyung-koo, pose during a photo session of a press conference held on October 9, 2009. Excluding festival director Kim Dong-ho, all are members of the New Currents Award headed by Beineix.

2009100915184126446_2.jpg

New Currents Award jury [Lee Ki-bum/Asia Economic Daily]

14th Pusan International Film Festival (PIFF) New Currents Award jury head Jean-Jacques Beineix speaks at a press conference on October 9, 2009. From left, PIFF festival director Kim Dong-ho, Thai director Pen-ek Ratanaruang, Turkish director Yesim Ustaoglu and French director Jean-Jacques Beineix.

2009100915184126446_3.jpg

New Currents Award jury [Lee Ki-bum/Asia Economic Daily]

From left, French director Jean-Jacques Beineix and Taiwanese actress Terri Kwan listen into their headsets for translations during a press conference of the New Currents Award jury of the 14th Pusan International Film Festival (PIFF) on October 9, 2009.

Photographer : Lee Ki-bum metro83@asiae.co.kr

[PHOTO] New Currents jury press conference - 2

Photographer : Lee Ki-bum | metro83@asiae.co.kr

기사입력 2009.10.09 15:53 최종수정 2009.10.09 15:53

From top, French director Jean-Jacques Beineix, Turkish director Yesim Ustaoglu, Thai director Pen-ek Ratanaruang, South Korean cinematographer Kim Hyung-koo and Taiwanese actress Terri Kwan -- members of the jury for New Currents Award for the 14th Pusan International Film Festival (PIFF) -- speak to reporters during a press conference held in Pusan, South Korea on October 9, 2008.

2009100914345382556_1.jpg

French director Jean-Jacques Beineix [Lee Ki-bum/Asia Economic Daily]

2009100914345382556_3.jpg

Turkish director Yesim Ustaoglu [Lee Ki-bum/Asia Economic Daily]

2009100914345382556_4.jpg

Thai director Pen-ek Ratanaruang [Lee Ki-bum/Asia Economic Daily]

2009100914345382556_6.jpg

Taiwanese actress Terri Kwan [Lee Ki-bum/Asia Economic Daily]

2009100914345382556_5.jpg

South Korean cinematographer Kim Hyung-koo [Lee Kib-bum/Asia Economic Daily]

Photographer : Lee Ki-bum metro83@asiae.co.kr

Guest kdramafanusa

Korean Cinema Today - Panorama (Official Selection List)

Cafe Noir

Korea 2009 197min D-Cinema COLOR

>JUNG Sung-il

STILL CUTS

m18bef41e0b3aa4e.jpg

m24d8c0d0bb46046.jpg

m3bfb23897a3cc4b.jpg

PROGRAM NOTE

Young-soo’s pining for a married woman reminds us of [The Sorrows of Young Werther]. Lost in his despair, he is wandering around Cheong Gye Cheon in Seoul, where he meets Sun-hwa, who is also despairing for love. Elsewhere, Mee-yeon suffers agony from loving Young-soo. Through them and other lovers, the story provides its own interpretation of the popular view about love and suffering. Director Jung Sung-il at times spans the torment of the individuals for over ten minutes, in his own method of depicting their pain. Many parts of the film incorporate much about Korean cinema. [Cafe Noir] is the meeting place for different types of films, a reconstruction of love, and at the same time a stroll through downtown Seoul. (LEE Sang-yong)

DIRECTOR

JUNG Sung-il

A gifted film critic, Jung Sung-il graduated from Sungkyunkwan Univ. with a communication major and has worked as chief editor of Kino, and as a programmer of the Jeonju International Film Festival, and is currently co-director of the Cinema Digital Seoul Film Festival.

CREDITS

DIRECTOR: JUNG Sung-il

PRODUCER: KIM Jong-won 김종원

CAST: SHIN Ha-kyun 신하균, MOON Jeong-hee 문정희, KIM Hye-na 김혜나, JUNG Yu-mi 정유미

SCREENWRITER: JUNG Sung-il 정성일

CINEMATOGRAPHY: KIM Jun-woung 김준영

ART DIRECTOR: JO Sang-gyeong 조상경

EDITOR: MOON In-dae 문인대

SOUND: LEE Seung-chul 이승철

MUSIC: LEE Ji-yeon 이지연

PRODUCTION COMPANY: Polaris Production ( kinoline@naver.com )

SALES AGENT: M-Line Distribution

C-203 Richensia, 72-1 Hannam 1-dong, Yongsan-gu, Seoul 140-779 Korea

82 2 7962 426

82 2 7962 429

sales@mline-distribution.com

Shin Ha-Gyun, Jung Yoo-Mi, Moon Jung-Hee, Kim Hye-Na, Yozoh

20091009160750_8.jpg

Shin Ha-Gyun

200910091422072300_1.jpg

200910091350012300_1.jpg

Jung Yoo-Mi

200910091431562300_1.jpg

Shin Ha-Gyun, Jung Yoo-Mi

200910091426352300_1.jpg

Moon Jung-Hee

200910091742537184521A_4.jpg

200910091742537184521A_1.jpg

200910091742537184521A_3.jpg

[piff.org + Naver]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Japanese comedian Hitoshi Matsumoto - movie SYMBOL (Gala Presentation)

09154752905_61000090.jpg

09153556776_61000090.jpg

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Archived