Kim Hyun Joo 김현주 Upcoming Drama 2024: The Bequeathed

LHRCN_

Guest Dahee Fanel

Thanks so much for those pics, cutegurl87. :)

Doesn't she look tough? ^^;;

21ed.jpg

I think this was a fan meeting (on December 26th of last year).

000020dx.jpg

With other people:

withyongha6zz.jpg

juyongmanager8as.jpg

tojistaff0vr.jpg

Credit: LIPS

Guest Dahee Fanel

Wow, she's beautiful no matter which way you look at her! Thanks so much, cutegurl! :D

Edit: I just finished translating this long article about her. It was a comparison (sort of) between her and Jang Jin Young, another (movie) actress, but I only bothered to translate Hyun Joo's part. Enjoy.

Confident Charisma Kim Hyun Joo vs. Jang Jin Young, Who Gives the Impression That She Enjoys the Freedom of Metamorphosis

khj9wn.jpg

"I'm going to rip you apart and dry you up!"

Will Kim Hyun Joo (27) be able to naturally recite Choi Suh Hee's venomous line? Kim Hyun Joo and Choi Suh Hee were like pictures that didn't suit each other. More than looking forward to it, we worried. Park Kyung Lee's original work "The Land" has already been made into a drama three times. When she said she was shooting it, not only her fans, but even a large majority of the parties concerned in the entertainment world cocked their heads.

When Kim Hyun Joo announced that she was shooting the MBC drama "Sang Do", the reaction was similar. The character of "Da Nyung" that Kim Hyun Joo portrated in "Sang Do" had both beauty and intelligence, and was the daughter of a bright merchant. The character of "Da Nyung" was not the reason people worried. The reason was that there was a kind of preconception that Kim Hyun Joo's image didn't suit historical dramas.

Then Kim Hyun Joo showed acting that was relatively reposed in "Sang Do". Although she wasn't able to receive leaping appraisal, the Kim Hyun Joo who wore a pigtail ribbon in her hair suited historical dramas more than we'd thought.

When she was cast in "The Land" after "Sang Do", Kim Hyun Joo had strong self-confidence. But this time, too, she had to listen to bitter words like "She doesn't suit Choi Suh Hee's image." Kim Hyun Joo told a journalist that "If there's 10 people, 9 say that I don't suit Choi Suh Hee", and revealed the mental state that came with the mundane peoples' reactions rather bitterly.

The truth is, this is the kind of role that, even if someone suited "The Land"'s Choi Suh Hee, that fit person would have to begin by embracing the burden. This is because the colours of the first actress who acted as Choi Suh Hee, Han Hye Sook, and the second actress, Choi Soo Jee, are so distinct. The then new and superior Choi Soo Jee, who was at the time nineteen years old, was cast as the main character in the second "The Land", and with this production, became a top star. So a formula was made saying that "Choi Suh Hee's close to Choi Soo Jee".

These two actresses are compared, and the Kim Hyun Joo who received the pointing out of people saying she didn't have enough charisma, assured us that "I will act Choi Suh Hee with a different colour."

"I purposely didn't watch the second 'The Land'. I don't even remember the one that Han Hye Sook sunbae* did, but I vaguely remember the 'The Land' that Choi Soo Jee sunbae shot. She was a very strong Suh Hee. I don't know if it's because of my image, but in this production, I think Suh Hee's less ferocious. Since I'm normally the type to put a lot of effort into even the little things, I purposely didn't go on the internet or read the accounts. Even if there's ten praising me, if there's one criticism, it's that criticism that sticks to me. There are actors who read what the internet netizens write and add it to their acting, but for me, well, maybe it's because my receptacle is small, but I can't do that. I intend to put it in the past. I'm confident that I suit the role of Suh Hee (laughter)."

Right before "The Land" was televised, in one interview, Kim Hyun Joo revealed her thoughts like this in a strong tone of voice, as though she'd been waiting for it. I thought that with that confidence, she could thoroughly lead the masterpiece "The Land". At the place where they were making the character of Choi Suh Hee, the producer to whom the production was entrusted, Lee Jong Han, said that he'd reflected to the maximum Kim Hyun Joo's opinions.

But the credit for "The Land"'s overall success is not Kim Hyun Joo's. More than anyone else, Kim Kab Soo, who acted the villain's role, "Jo Joon Goo", received widespread praise from the viewers. Other than this, because it had strong backup with supporting characters like Yoon Joon Sang, Do Ji Won and Lee Jae Eun, we're able to see that "The Land" was a success in the entertainment industry.

The Complex** That Kim Hyun Joo Revealed

Because Kim Hyun Joo acted lively characters, she has the image that she suits them. As an actress, she doesn't have the kind of good looks that jump out at you, but she possesses the ability to entertain you. With that kind of image, it surely has the consequence of suiting Kim Hyun Joo's acting. The SBS drama that she shot, "Miss Kim's Million Dollar Project", was a production that really suited her image. The character of "Eun Jae" that she portrayed was a character that had to show a bit of a foolish appearance. And as the viewers watched her, at whatever time, they were entertained.

Along with the appearance of an Eun Jae who stubbornly collected money, Kim Hyun Joo also acted and filled in the appearance of Sun Woo in the SBS drama "Glass Slipper". I'm talking about the appearance of her being able to optimistically get up and brush herself off with a smile, no matter how terrible the circumstance. That's why viewers open up their hearts to Kim Hyun Joo's acting. Rather than a senseless liveliness, Kim Hyun Joo's face fills the kind of liveliness of being able to receive hardship and get back up strongly.

Even during the second half of "The Land", when Choi Suh Hee had become a 50-year-old grandmother who'd passed middle age, the producer didn't demand for her to put on an unreasonable disguise of an aged person. That's because they decided that it didn't suit Kim Hyun Joo's image. Before it was produced, they had a plan to make it so that Choi Suh Hee became "old gracefully"; in a pretty way.

khj22np.jpg

Although of course she gained popularity from fans with her cute face, Kim Hyun Joo diffidently has a lot of complexes about her face. A lot of actresses are having long-term plastic surgery, and although she says "I'm satisfied with my current face", Kim Hyun Joo also says that "There are a lot of parts of me that I don't like." She reveals her complexes honestly.

"One time, while shooting, I said that I liked my eyebrows, and that 'I can never shave my eyebrows, no matter what role I take'. But after thinking it over, I don't think they're part of an actor's figure. I used to like my eyes, but as I grew older, well, I don't know if it's because I was hardened by the rough-and-tumble of life, but I think they became strange-looking. I have a few freckles, but I think they look natural, so they're okay. My ears are too small, and my face is a little long. I don't like the shape of my face, either..."

Let's analyze Kim Hyun Joo's face. Like her own assessment, it isn't a perfect face. Her rather thick lips look swollen, and helped create a cute image for her. Of course, her face is small, and although the real thing is much prettier, her cheekbones are a little protuberant. Her jawline, too, isn't a model of traditional beauty.

For an actor, it's good to feel strong about your own face, and it's good to be honest. Even as she reveals all this, her strong posture is Kim Hyun Joo's strong point. The thing I'm really curious about is how Kim Hyun Joo's lively image will change as she grows older. What I'm sure about is that the role of Choi Suh Hee in "The Land" was one which gave her the opportunity to show her maturity, rather than her liveliness.

Kim Hyun Joo debuted in 1997 in Kim Hyun Chul's music video "One's Lifetime". With the MBC drama "The Reason I Live", she was able to advance into the T.V. screen. With her debut in "The Reason I Live", Kim Hyun Joo became a star who grabbed attention in one stroke. In the drama "Club Waitress", Kim Hyun Joo was called by the nickname "Miss I-Don't-Know", and she gained popularity.

From her debut, Kim Hyun Joo received a stroke of good luck. She was quick with her big-screen debut, as well. She shot her first movie, 1998's "If Snow Falls At Christmas", with Park Yong Ha, and she shot her next movie, "Calla", with Kim Hee Sun and Song Seung Hun. By shooting a udong CF, too, her words "The soup tastes awesome" were copied a lot, and she gained popularity.

"I like perfect men"

khj34kd.jpg

These days, Kim Hyun Joo is trying to prove that she's not a "One Hit Wonder", and is shooting one drama after another. Behind her is "That Woman's House", "Sang Do", "Into the Sunlight", "Glass Slipper" and "Miss Kim's Million Dollar Project". Thus, Kim Hyun Joo made a strong resolution to be a star in the entertainment industry who would be guaranteed to be seen in the T.V. screen, and walked far away from the road of movies.

However, the movie she shot for the first time in five years is "Shinsukki Blues" with Lee Sung Jae. Kim Hyun Joo has never received good praise for a movie, so this shooting of a movie in a long time was a challenge that brought burden and anticipation. Although Lee Sung Jae's transformation into an ugly man was the topic of conversation, the Kim Hyun Joo who stood beside him carried the burden of using not her acting with her body, but acting with her heart to gain new fans. In the end, "Shinsukki Blues" wasn't able to gain big popularity, but luckily, after being cast in "The Land", she was able to let go of her anxiety and sell out her acting.

Let's take a look at Kim Hyun Joo's early days. The lecturer at the acting academy who taught her how to act was Ms. Kim Ji Soo, and she highly praised Kim Hyun Joo's humanity, saying that more than anything else, Kim Hyun Joo considers being on time to be very important. Ms. Kim said "Hyun Joo has not once been late for an appointment. She's the antithesis to the new actors who always make up excuses about their schedules or break appointments or neglect their acting studies. I already thought then that Hyun Joo would attain greatness."

From her fellow actors, too, Kim Hyun Joo receives recognition for her humanity. Kim Hyun Joo is unable to act if she doesn't become friends with the actors she's shooting with. She has to feel comfortable in order to be able to act naturally. There are actors, who are true pros and who are thorough with their acting, who become friendly with their co-stars, and when they leave the production site, they stop being friends. She is able to create a soft atmosphere for the production site.

That's why she sometimes gets into scandals with her co-stars. Even so, the reality of it is, she herself doesn't care about that. Even when she was shooting "Glass Slipper", and various accounts and news reports came out regarding her relationship with So Ji Sub, whom she'd become friends with, she received it all calmly. On MBC's "Section TV Entertainment Correspondence", she was an MC with Suh Kyung Suk. On-air, "half-joking, half-serious", he confessed his love for her. Even then, Kim Hyun Joo handled it proficiently.

When Kim Hyun Joo described her ideal man, this writer was a little startled. Without reservation, she says "I like perfect men." She says, "I really dislike being embarrassed or feeling inferior to someone. I'd like it if my boyfriend was the kind of person that all the resourceful people would be envious of." She also revealed that it'd be okay to marry a fellow entertainer. But honestly, what woman would turn down a perfect man? It's just that it's difficult for them to say it honestly. Especially for actresses, during interviews, when they talk of their ideal man, it's normal for them to reply unabashedly, "I like people with good personalities." Kim Hyun Joo's charm lies in her very honest personality.

*Translated by Dahee Fanel*

*sunbae - an older colleague, usually in the workplace, but also used for older students at school.

**complex - something the person dislikes about themself, usually in their physical appearance.

Guest Dahee Fanel
Guest Dahee Fanel

You're welcome, everyone. :)

i read her profile on the first page and didn't know she was in Sang Doo ... was she Cha Bori's mom?

Hehe, "Sang Do", not "Let's Go To School, Sang-doo!". They're two completely different dramas - the one Hyun Joo was in was a historical one. Hope that clears up the confusion. :P

You're welcome, everyone. :)

Hehe, "Sang Do", not "Let's Go To School, Sang-doo!". They're two completely different dramas - the one Hyun Joo was in was a historical one. Hope that clears up the confusion. :P

oops my bad! :lol: thanks for the clarification Dahee :)

Guest Dahee Fanel

Wow, cutegurl87, she looks so good in those "Marry A Millionaire" pics! Thanks a lot!

A pic from "The Land":

68434200504191448286vu.jpg

Credit: SBS website

Some more "Glass Slipper" clips, credit of Saturn:

Episode 20 : An argue

Episode 24 : Cry...

Episode 24: train station

Episode 26: Sootheing

Episode 32: never leave you

Episode 36: letter

Episode 36: reunion

Episode 38: hurt

Episode 38: propose

Episode 39,40: death

Episode 40: memories

Guest BUTT3RFLii

I see Kim Hyun Joo in 3 pix from those clips...she's in the 6th, 8th, and 13th pix

I'm watching KHJ in Miss Kim’s Adventures in Making a Million and she's so cute and funnie in there. My mom love her in Glass Slipper. She say KHJ has a sweet smile, and I think that too. I can't wait to see Marry A Millionaire.

Guest Dahee Fanel

I see Kim Hyun Joo in 3 pix from those clips...she's in the 6th, 8th, and 13th pix

I'm watching KHJ in Miss Kim’s Adventures in Making a Million and she's so cute and funnie in there. My mom love her in Glass Slipper. She say KHJ has a sweet smile, and I think that too. I can't wait to see Marry A Millionaire.

*clapclapclap*

CONGRATULATIONS BUTT3RFLii! You found three of the four pictures that she's in! (Can anyone find the fourth picture she's in? :P )

Here's your prize:

A signed picture from "Glass Shoes"! :D

sign10vb.jpg

Also, can you spot her in these pictures from a get-together of the cast of "Glass Shoes"?

act19wh.jpgact35ts.jpg

act79yq.jpgact81rf.jpg

act63ou.jpg

From the show program "Yoo Jae Suk and Kim Won Hee's Let's Play" (she's sitting beside her co-star from "Shinsukki Blues", Lee Sung Jae, and Lee Jin from Fink.L (I can never remember how to spell the name of that group!)):

all11hs.jpg

386hj.jpg

471wi.jpg

2girls5zl.jpg

Credit: LIPS

By the way, I think all her fans will agree that KHJ's smile is one of her most endearing features. Every time she smiles, I smile. I just can't help it. I hate to sound sappy, but it's really almost MAGICAL! :wub:

Edit: Woot! I own the 4th page! :D