[drama 2009] Three Brothers / Suspicious Three Brothers 수상한 삼형&#5

Guest C51236

Guest pint0

I think its Umi and her storyline that is making the series so popular. IS used to be a strong character but he has regressed to childhood! They didn’t discuss the baby option. EY said what she wanted. Her Dad spoke to IS and explained that EY had no childhood since she raised her baby sister and that’s why she wants to wait to have children. That’s what made him see her point. Nothing to do with them having an adult conversation. And why has she now developed this habit of checking his phone messages?! Lately, she has been telling him what she wants. When he talks, she says don’t interrupt and his only duty is to listen to her and go along with what she says. And what does he do? His actions always seem to be in retaliation of something EY has said or done to him. Just like his decision to move back to his parents house – that was in retaliation to her attitude and treatment of him. They are not strong characters but bull-headed, childish and full of pride.

In kdramas, even if the bride is a trained professional, there would still be this clash and the expectation of the MIL for her DIL to wait on her hand and foot. It has nothing to do with whether EY is a trained professional or not. If you want them to cut the umbilical cords, then you shouldn’t be watching Korean dramas! The stories are how they will resolve their difficulties to become a real family, how to marry the old and modern korea, etc. And even if they are 60, the umbilical cord would still be there - maybe thinner and more transparent but its there in every kdrama.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ahhahha

How realistic is the drama when compare with the real situation of daily life in Korea? To me, it is quite dramatic and for the sake of entertainment only. HaHa.

Guest pint0

How realistic is the drama when compare with the real situation of daily life in Korea? To me, it is quite dramatic and for the sake of entertainment only. HaHa.

Yeah, that's the spirit! Because kdramas on other channels or even KBS but late at nights, portray a different Korea. Just take it for entertainment.

Guest prettypat

No wonder the suicide rate is the highest in the world!

So how do you think this is all going to end? I have stopped watching because it is no longer fun, but I am still interested in the outcome.

It is my first kdrama and the first 50 episodes were enjoyable but the extension sucks! I see that Umi and family has cut the umbilical cord!!!! They moved out.

Guest b00kw0rm

No wonder the suicide rate is the highest in the world!

So how do you think this is all going to end? I have stopped watching because it is no longer fun, but I am still interested in the outcome.

It is my first kdrama and the first 50 episodes were enjoyable but the extension sucks! I see that Umi and family has cut the umbilical cord!!!! They moved out.

Unfortunately the Japanese and Koreans view suicide as an honourable solution to problems.

The umbilical cord is not really cut since Umi's actions now is fueled by anger and wanting to show her parentsIL that they can be successful without them. You can see from HC's facial expressions that he is not really happy with cutting off all ties with his family. I guess they will eventually move back home. I guess when they learn the situation the Dad is in, he will feel even worse than he does now. MIL will change her ways and learn to appreciate her DILs. Umi will be successful in her business. MIL will also appreciate how smart Umi is as all along she thought that Umi has no talents, skills or brains!

Soli will marry EY's Dad. EY and IS will learn how to manage their differences and EY will learn to appreciate Soli and her good intentions towards EY's Dad.

Guest ahhahha

Yeah, that's the spirit! Because kdramas on other channels or even KBS but late at nights, portray a different Korea. Just take it for entertainment.

that's interesting, i guess nowadays Korea is just like any other well developed modern cities in the rest of the world... but it is always interesting to learn the cultures and traditions of other countries by watching movies or dramas...

Guest prettypat

Unfortunately the Japanese and Koreans view suicide as an honourable solution to problems.

The umbilical cord is not really cut since Umi's actions now is fueled by anger and wanting to show her parentsIL that they can be successful without them. You can see from HC's facial expressions that he is not really happy with cutting off all ties with his family. I guess they will eventually move back home. I guess when they learn the situation the Dad is in, he will feel even worse than he does now. MIL will change her ways and learn to appreciate her DILs. Umi will be successful in her business. MIL will also appreciate how smart Umi is as all along she thought that Umi has no talents, skills or brains!

Soli will marry EY's Dad. EY and IS will learn how to manage their differences and EY will learn to appreciate Soli and her good intentions towards EY's Dad.

Where will EY and IS live? Will they divorce? The MIL will freak if two of her sons divorce!

I think its Umi and her storyline that is making the series so popular. IS used to be a strong character but he has regressed to childhood! They didn’t discuss the baby option. EY said what she wanted. Her Dad spoke to IS and explained that EY had no childhood since she raised her baby sister and that’s why she wants to wait to have children. That’s what made him see her point. Nothing to do with them having an adult conversation. And why has she now developed this habit of checking his phone messages?! Lately, she has been telling him what she wants. When he talks, she says don’t interrupt and his only duty is to listen to her and go along with what she says. And what does he do? His actions always seem to be in retaliation of something EY has said or done to him. Just like his decision to move back to his parents house – that was in retaliation to her attitude and treatment of him. They are not strong characters but bull-headed, childish and full of pride.

In kdramas, even if the bride is a trained professional, there would still be this clash and the expectation of the MIL for her DIL to wait on her hand and foot. It has nothing to do with whether EY is a trained professional or not. If you want them to cut the umbilical cords, then you shouldn’t be watching Korean dramas! The stories are how they will resolve their difficulties to become a real family, how to marry the old and modern korea, etc. And even if they are 60, the umbilical cord would still be there - maybe thinner and more transparent but its there in every kdrama.

Unless something is wrong with the translation, I heard EY say that they should plan for a baby because she wants to raise the child herself and you plan for vacations and other things why not something as important as a baby.. She said she would wait 3 years and IS said 1 year. In the end, they agreed to 2 years.

Unless something is wrong with the translation, I heard EY say that they should plan for a baby because she wants to raise the child herself and you plan for vacations and other things why not something as important as a baby.. She said she would wait 3 years and IS said 1 year. In the end, they agreed to 2 years. And why does becoming a real family mean that you have to do house work and live with your inlaws?

This cannot be true even for the Korean culture which is making a transition from an agrarian economy to an industrialized country. so the old ways must clash with the new and I am sure that wealthy Koreans hire maids and housekeepers!

Guest b00kw0rm

Where will EY and IS live? Will they divorce? The MIL will freak if two of her sons divorce!

I was not posting a spoiler! You asked us for our thoughts on how the story would end.

Unless something is wrong with the translation, I heard EY say that they should plan for a baby because she wants to raise the child herself and you plan for vacations and other things why not something as important as a baby.. She said she would wait 3 years and IS said 1 year. In the end, they agreed to 2 years.

Both of you are right. It was after the Dad spoke to IS that IS approached EY and they comprised to 2 years. Without the Dad's intervention, they would still be throwing hissy fits at each other!

Guest pint0

Both of you are right. It was after the Dad spoke to IS that IS approached EY and they comprised to 2 years. Without the Dad's intervention, they would still be throwing hissy fits at each other!

Yeah, that's what I said. IS only saw her point of view only after a talk with his FIL. That made him apologise to EY so she cooled down enough to reach a compromise. The FIL and BY both told Matang that this couple fight over every little thing right from their first day of marriage!

Guest zzola1003

on episod 58, looks like EY already asked for a divorce (not sure coz without e-sub)..

as expected the divorce talk would eventually come out and of course EY initiate it!!

HC and Umi also divorced?? I assume they kinda play trick on YH ... remember YH offer to return the sauna business to HC on condition HC divorce Umi ....

wow, in the beginning GG was miserable being divorced and now he's happily settled down with expecting preggy wife. HC and IS are now going ahead being divorcee.

MIL feeling blue and guilty to Umi. I bet if CN is as good as Umi to do the house chores the MIL will not appreciate Umi.

FIL is starting on business ? or is he acting as insurance agent? Not sure

Guest jus me

i used to like watching this drama but now it's driving me nuts!!

i can't stand EY. I don't feel sorry for her one bit. she just has to get her way or no way

Guest prettypat

i used to like watching this drama but now it's driving me nuts!!

i can't stand EY. I don't feel sorry for her one bit. she just has to get her way or no way

I have tried to watch several kdramas now and I notice a pattern:

1. Girl gets drunk or overeats and throws up on guy who will become love interest ......Boys Before Flowers, Three Brothers, Full House, A Man Called God, Jolly Widows

2. Girl spends night with guy she hardly knows in a hotel, or other venue, no lovemaking I guess, who will become love interest......Happiness in the Wind, Three Brothers, Boys Before Flowers, Jolly widows

3. Mother in law - to- be calls girl to meet, without the knowledge of her son to tell her how unsuitable she is for marriage...Boys Over Flowers, Three Brothers, Happiness in the Wind

4. They all have many, many, many, many, flashbacks!

5. Story begins with comedic fun and enough drama to pique ones interest then becomes a bore fest about half way through!

I have not watched any to the end to see a pattern for endings. I abandon the drama at half way or for Three Brothers three quarters way.

These writers are sooooooo original! OMG! What are your thoughts?

Guest pint0

4. They all have many, many, many, many, flashbacks!

And the flashbacks would include things they could not possibly see, example a facial expression made by someone standing behind them or a character passing something to another when the one having the flashback had already left the building! Almost no-one wears specs in k-dramas so I'm guessing that the flashbacks prove that Koreans have supersonic vision!

Guest prettypat

And the flashbacks would include things they could not possibly see, example a facial expression made by someone standing behind them or a character passing something to another when the one having the flashback had already left the building! Almost no-one wears specs in k-dramas so I'm guessing that the flashbacks prove that Koreans have supersonic vision!

So what will these brilliant illogical writers have to torture people with for the next 12 episodes? More quarreling, more conflicts, more instability, more weeping!

What?

People don't ever love, compromise, share thoughts and ideas like adults etc. etc.?

Enough already!

Why do they think we enjoy all this constant negative stuff. Come on, lighten up! Give us some peace and something to feel nice about when we watch this so called drama! Good story tellers know how to strike a balance. I thought this was supposed to be a romance drama, not a torture fest!

Wonderful things do happen in families too you know. The way this is written, I am expecting someone to commit murder or suicide!

Gee-sh! The reason why I am so pissed and is venting so much, is that the almost first half was quite enjoyable and now I do not want to watch the final episodes. There is no intrigue, no mystery, no delightful romantic nothing, etc. etc.

I am now watching A Man Called God. It is is more bearable!

Guest sondambifan

This drama is funny in that I only got interested because of the EY/IS couple and now I only care about the EY/IS couple...except the person I root for is flipped...I like IS in the beginning but not so much anymore...

I know a lot of people don't like EY for being bossy and unbending but I see it differently. I think IS is immature...He got married...his first, second, and third priority is his wife...it's great that he wants to help out his parents but he can't even get his own marriage right. He need to work on his relationship first then help others. A good example was the scene when he calls up EY's sister to go comfort her...lame! He is the husband!!!! He should have went over there but no...he's too immature to do it.

I agree with some of the prior posts about how IS is doing things...EY has tried to help out with his family but it's just not her... IS has very rarely stood up for his wife and protected her...A person like EY has a very high emotional wall that she protects herself with...the only way that she will drop her guard is to have someone who she thinks will protect her...so far IS have failed miserably...

Guest prettypat

This drama is funny in that I only got interested because of the EY/IS couple and now I only care about the EY/IS couple...except the person I root for is flipped...I like IS in the beginning but not so much anymore...

I know a lot of people don't like EY for being bossy and unbending but I see it differently. I think IS is immature...He got married...his first, second, and third priority is his wife...it's great that he wants to help out his parents but he can't even get his own marriage right. He need to work on his relationship first then help others. A good example was the scene when he calls up EY's sister to go comfort her...lame! He is the husband!!!! He should have went over there but no...he's too immature to do it.

I agree with some of the prior posts about how IS is doing things...EY has tried to help out with his family but it's just not her... IS has very rarely stood up for his wife and protected her...A person like EY has a very high emotional wall that she protects herself with...the only way that she will drop her guard is to have someone who she thinks will protect her...so far IS have failed miserably...

I agree with you. I found IS/EY courtship delightful and the most compelling aspect of the so called drama and the main reason I watched. But now IS is no longer acting like the man who courted EY. She has a strong personality and she needs a strong man to rein her in. He did that effectively during the courtship. I thought that her feistyness was what appealed to him. She will relent if he uses the right tactics. Where are the handcuffs now? LOL. She called crying for her husband and what did he do? Called her sister ?? Grow up already! He should learn from his father. He knows how to deal with his wife!

The writers have made the turn of events illogical and absurd. She has not cheated on him or committed any act of betrayal so why cant he "run" to her like he promised? Then he runs to the prosecutor for comfort. Barf!

I think the story line is nonsensical. He would not love with that depth and intensity, vowing that he would have followed her to Italy or wherever and suddenly now he is not supporting her because she does not want to live with his mother whom he knows treat her DILs badly..He even used to support and give comforting words to Umi. Plus before the marriage he agreed to live with her family. No wife wants to take second place. She is his mate for Gods sake!

He should have married the boring, arrogant and smirky prosecutor who is not as cute and sexy as EY ( remember the water dance she did in the club?) and who hits on a married man. EY would never do that!

She is my gal! Go EY!

Guest 2Van123

EY and IS are not the same characters before their marriage. Before the marriage she was the weak one who needs tons of reassurances and TLC. Because of her first relationship, she was afraid to trust IS and he bent over backwards to woo her and gain her trust. From their honeymoon, maybe the fact they are married gave her confidence to become assertive and rather domineering. IS' way of dealing with domineering women - i.e. his Mom - is to retreat. Whenever EY talks and behaves like his Mom, you see IS running for his life!

IS tried to make his Mom like EY and on a few occasions, stood up for her. But each time he tries to help his Mom, he makes matters worst. But he does try so its not right to say that he doesn't stand up for EY. Just like EY's Dad's attempt (as advised by Soli) to show her MIL that parents feel hurt when their children are disabused! Each time both men try something, EY gets it worse from MIL. And yes, he called his SIL to comfort EY but what did her Dad say to her? Why does she always think only of what IS should do for her and remember what he doesn't do, why is she so self-centred that everything is always about what is done or not done for/to her?!

Unless there is in some future episode that I have not seen yet (I'm following the drama on KBSW), its unfair to say the prosecutor hit on a married man. She has not hit on IS. Just like I still don't see the other woman as HC's lover as referred to by the writers and some posters. He did make one false promise to her which he had no intention of keeping. But they did not have a physical relationship or an emotional affair. I think the words 'affair' and 'hit on' are being used too freely in this drama.

Guest prettypat

Here are the ratings for those interested.

Episode ratings for KBS drama Three Brothers

Date Episode Nationwide Seoul

2009-10-17 1 24.3 (1st) 24.3 (1st)

2009-10-18 2 28.2 (1st) 28.3 (1st)

2009-10-24 3 19.3 (1st) 19.4 (1st)

2009-10-25 4 25.6 (1st) 25.2 (1st)

2009-10-31 5 24.0 (1st) 24.9 (1st)

2009-11-01 6 27.6 (1st) 27.0 (1st)

2009-11-07 7 24.1 (1st) 23.4 (1st)

2009-11-08 8 30.6 (1st) 30.1 (1st)

2009-11-14 9 24.1 (1st) 24.0 (1st)

2009-11-15 10 28.4 (1st) 28.2 (1st)

2009-11-21 11 25.6 (1st) 25.2 (1st)

2009-11-22 12 32.5 (1st) 33.0 (1st)

2009-11-28 13 27.9 (1st) 28.3 (1st)

2009-11-29 14 32.6 (1st) 32.8 (1st)

2009-12-05 15 20.0 (2nd) 19.7 (2nd)

2009-12-06 16 32.4 (1st) 32.2 (1st)

2009-12-12 17 27.5 (1st) 27.3 (1st)

2009-12-13 18 32.6 (1st) 32.6 (1st)

2009-12-19 19 27.9 (1st) 27.8 (1st)

2009-12-20 20 34.2 (1st) 33.4 (1st)

2009-12-26 21 29.2 (1st) 28.6 (1st)

2009-12-27 22 34.2 (1st) 33.6 (1st)

2010-01-02 23 31.4 (1st) 31.2 (1st)

2010-01-03 24 38.5 (1st) 37.9 (1st)

2010-01-09 25 33.1 (1st) 32.8 (1st)

2010-01-10 26 37.9 (1st) 37.6 (1st)

2010-01-16 27 32.8 (1st) 32.9 (1st)

2010-01-17 28 40.2 (1st) 40.4 (1st)

2010-01-23 29 33.4 (1st) 33.1 (1st)

2010-01-24 30 39.7 (1st) 40.1 (1st)

2010-01-30 31 34.6 (1st) 34.6 (1st)

2010-01-31 32 41.7 (1st) 41.9 (1st)

2010-02-06 33 34.6 (1st) 34.7 (1st)

2010-02-07 34 41.7 (1st) 41.5 (1st)

2010-02-13 35 27.8 (1st) 27.1 (1st)

2010-02-14 36 21.1 (1st) 20.4 (1st)

2010-02-20 37 32.4 (1st) 31.8 (1st)

2010-02-21 38 38.1 (1st) 38.2 (1st)

2010-02-27 39 31.1 (1st) 30.7 (1st)

2010-02-28 40 37.5 (1st) 38.0 (1st)

2010-03-06 41 33.8 (1st) 33.0 (1st)

2010-03-07 42 39.9 (1st) 39.9 (1st)

2010-03-13 43 31.5 (1st) 30.6 (1st)

2010-03-14 44 39.9 (1st) 39.5 (1st)

2010-03-20 45 35.0 (1st) 34.4 (1st)

2010-03-21 46 39.5 (1st) 38.6 (1st)

2010-03-27 47 33.4 (1st) 33.1 (1st)

2010-03-28 48 40.5 (1st) 40.2 (1st)

2010-04-03 49 33.6 (1st) 32.7 (1st)

2010-04-04 50 37.0 (1st) 37.6 (1st)

2010-04-10 51 36.4 (1st) 36.2 (1st)

2010-04-11 52 42.5 (1st) 42.5 (1st)

2010-04-17 53 34.8 (1st) 35.1 (1st)

2010-04-18 54 41.6 (1st) 41.4 (1st)

2010-04-24 55 35.2 (1st) 35.2 (1st)

2010-04-25 56 40.3 (1st) 40.0 (1st)

2010-05-01 57 33.6 (1st) 32.9 (1st)

2010-05-02 58 42.0 (1st) 42.4 (1st)

EY and IS are not the same characters before their marriage. Before the marriage she was the weak one who needs tons of reassurances and TLC. Because of her first relationship, she was afraid to trust IS and he bent over backwards to woo her and gain her trust. From their honeymoon, maybe the fact they are married gave her confidence to become assertive and rather domineering. IS' way of dealing with domineering women - i.e. his Mom - is to retreat. Whenever EY talks and behaves like his Mom, you see IS running for his life!

IS tried to make his Mom like EY and on a few occasions, stood up for her. But each time he tries to help his Mom, he makes matters worst. But he does try so its not right to say that he doesn't stand up for EY. Just like EY's Dad's attempt (as advised by Soli) to show her MIL that parents feel hurt when their children are disabused! Each time both men try something, EY gets it worse from MIL. And yes, he called his SIL to comfort EY but what did her Dad say to her? Why does she always think only of what IS should do for her and remember what he doesn't do, why is she so self-centred that everything is always about what is done or not done for/to her?!

Unless there is in some future episode that I have not seen yet (I'm following the drama on KBSW), its unfair to say the prosecutor hit on a married man. She has not hit on IS. Just like I still don't see the other woman as HC's lover as referred to by the writers and some posters. He did make one false promise to her which he had no intention of keeping. But they did not have a physical relationship or an emotional affair. I think the words 'affair' and 'hit on' are being used too freely in this drama.

What planet are you on? You do not call your sister in law to comfort your wife! You comfort your wife yourself. She married you, not your sister in law! Man up and take control! Enough of this crap!

Guest sondambifan

A new member’s comments on characters, plots and replies to posters who do not hold similar views remind me very strongly of an ‘absentee’ poster who had worn out his/her welcome in many threads. Coincidence?! Ignore is a good option when dealing with virulent posts! Too much negative toxins! I watch dramas to relax and come to the threads to chill out. Definitely not to read playground fights! I, for one, am going to exercise the ignore option.

I agree that drama are meant for enjoyment but it can also be a source of frustration...especially a drama that one has spent time on watching. Anyone who feels strongly enough about a drama (good or bad) to post here is emotionally invested in the drama and the characters. I believe that everyone certainly has the right to voice their difference/objections but we should keep it civil...so everyone chillax :)

Back to the discussion re EY/IS...I am not saying that EY is in the clear...she definitely has her flaws but I really think IS is the one causing most of the issues in the marriage. It's nice that IS tried to make EY and his mother get along but in the end, he has got to make a choice on which side he is on...EY or his mom/parents,

I will come from this in a different angle...I think most of us agree that for most of the drama, Umi was being disrespected by both her husband and MIL. She was doing some much work but was taken for granted. For 10 years, Her husband never stood up for her (or himself) against his mother and in fact criticized her when he should have taken her side. Umi internalized everything until it became too much and she "exploded". Umi's husband finally got what it meant to be a "husband" after going through the affair, Umi exploding, and the failure of his business. When Umi decided to leave his parents, he walked out with her and never looked back despite knowing his mother's objections and the possible hardships that lay ahead. For the first time in ten years, Umi's husband did what was good for his wife and children, rather than what was "expected." For the first time in the marriage, it was Umi and her husband against the world...and that is what a marriage should be.

Same situation for EY/IS except it's early in the marriage and EY does not internalize much. Yes she is stubborn and lacks tact but in the end, she is looking for a mate. IS is slowly turning into Umi's husband without realizing it by putting his parents before EY. Where Umi just hunkers down and complain on the inside, EY complains loudly. But in the end, it's the same issue...what is a priority for the husband? The parents or his mate? In both cases, the sons picked the parents over their mates.

This is why I fault IS much more...it's his choice to put his parents before EY...he even admits it. In all his conversations with EY about reconciling, he wants her to "understand" why he is doing what he is doing and wants EY to accept the choice. He does not realize that his choice is wrong (at least in my opinion). EY does not have an ally in IS, just an immature husband.

1) It doesn't matter what the father said to her...she is crying out to IS for support...but as always, IS shrinks. This is completely opposite of what he was like during the courtship..basically not caring what anyone says to be with EY. Remember how EY did not want to get married because of objections of the mother...it's because she was afraid that IS would not stand up for her/the marriage..unfortunately that is exactly what happened.

2) EY is not just looking out for herself...she is looking out for the marriage...she is looking at whether IS is going to stand up for her/the marriage or go running off to help his parents whenever they are in trouble. She is not cold to the situation of IS' dad except she is much more practical (i.e. giving money to the dad). This is also a reason why she didn't want to have children with IS, she needed to know that he was a man that she can rely on (consistent with her trust issues). IS didn't really get that either...

As for the prosecutor, I think she is at fault (maybe not consciously). You should never act that way with a married man. A heart sign? Really...I don't really care that it was meant to be innocent...it's not proper behavior. Let's not forget that Umi's husband and his "mistress" started of as co-workers as well.

Archived