How much to charge as an English tutor?

esskeigh

How to start off?
- I'm a junior in high school.

- My student will be an adult, a family friend.

- It'll be my first time teaching English, let alone tutoring in general.

- She barely knows English.

- She will be providing rides for me to her house or the library.

With these facts taken into account, about how much should I charge her per hour?

An idea I have is to first try out one or two sessions with no charge, just to see how things work out. Is that an okay idea?

Also, does anyone have any tips? Teaching methods, books to use, where to start, etc.

Thank you for your help!

Guest Wend3rrs

I'm a tutor for a girl in her freshman year for a range of subjects. I started off 10 dollars per hour because to be honest, private tutors are expensive! But then again. I didn't want to charge too much for just a student. Now she pays me bonuses because I've tutored her for a long time :)

Based on the facts you've given, maybe start off around 10-15 bucks then gradually request more as you become more experienced? English is a pretty easy subject to teach considering how your student doesn't know too much. I'd suggest teaching her the basics first, like making her memorize vocabulary each week, sentence structure, grammer, etc. And each time you see her, give her a small quiz to see how she's doing. Print off some of your own materials or photocopy from textbooks on questions for her to do. Maybe getting practice material from lower grades would be better :) Also, your idea of one or two free sessions would be great to give you an idea of exactly where she stands. Test her on what she knows and go on from there! Good luck ~

Guest mangchilo

The average among my friends and I who have tutored various subjects as private tutors when we were in high school seems to be $20 per hour. However, since you're new to tutoring, you won't be teaching advanced stuff at least for now, it's a friend of the family, and she's going to be providing rides, I would charge less. $10-15 like the previous poster suggested, maybe depending on how good of a tutor you think you'll be as a novice. Then if you keep going for long enough that it gets pretty advanced or if you take on new pupils, ask them for more. I agree that the couple of free sessions is a good idea. You can decide what you want to charge after you're both sure you're going to continue. You may even be able to ask for more right from the start if all goes well and she really likes your tutoring those first two times.

Archived