Being bad with names

esskeigh

How to casually ask their name after knowing them for a long time
So there's this one intern teacher at my school who knows my name and who I talk a lot with but... I have no idea what her name is! When she introduced herself on the first day [like last week] I barely heard her.. T__T

And it was a pretty hard name so I never remembered it!

Is there any casual/non-rude way I can get her name? Nobody in that class seems to know...

Does this ever happen to you guys after knowing a person for a long time? What do you usually do? (:

Guest bgirlxstylistic

LOL!

i have the same problem, i started working at my first job just a while ago..

& there's obviously too many co-workers for me to remember.

good thing i got most of them off the bat, but there's still some that i dont know.

in your situation, hmm..

if you guys got name tags, check them? lol

or be sly, & ask her to write her name down for something?

ahah dunno =P

Hm.. I still don't know my teacher's name, and it's been about nearly 3-weeks.. XD

I think that if you have a syllabus for the class, that should help :P

Guest WallaceJiang

OMGSH!

Not being racist or anything but my school is filled with Tamil's and Bengali people.

Their names are so hard to pronounce and are very long.

When I first got in highschool I had so much trouble remembering peoples names.

It got easier now, the trick is EVERYONE has a nickname ;)

Well the problem is that she's not the real teacher so her name's not the one on my schedule, syllabus, etc. Haha.. I feel so bad!

:huh: . . . then what's she doing there!? XD

Hm.. Why don't you stalk her until someone calls her out. LOL

I forgot about the intern part.. forget that i asked why she's there.. >_>

Guest hiswendy

I made friends with this girl and like, I knew her name well enough. Then I had this brain fart moment when we were together for an hour and a half outside of class... and all of a sudden, I forgot her name. I kept silent the entire time and mentally slapped myself for forgetting. I was literally like 'holy crap, what's her name? Elaine? Maria? May? Sara?" LOLL so sad because we've been sitting beside each other for like, the whole week. Thankfully I remembered and I laughingly told her about the whole thing. She laughed as well and told me her name for confirmation, HAHA.

Maybe you can use the same excuse I did? "Holy sht... brain fart moment. Omg, I forgot your name D=!" then hopefully she'll find it funny as well and say her name.

Guest Octopus__

D:

I sit next to my teacher's TA in my advanced chemistry

class and we introduced ourselves the second day of

school. I didn't catch his name 'cause hell, it's something

CRAZY. Like.. Thelonious! But it isn't that. I have no idea

what his name is and asking for it again.. just seems

utterly wrong, lol. So I'm just going to wait until someone

has something to say to him or until he decides to write

his name on something. Even then, I think I'm going to

have a hard time trying to pronounce his name. >>; It

sounds so medieval, lol.

Hahaha. Once when I was a swim lesson instructor, I could not remember one of my student's name. I had a paper with all their names on it, but I kept forgetting to look at it. One day I decided to play a game, and I said the one that could tell me the names of all the other kids in the class got to go first. It worked, but I don't think you can quite use that.

I would just be honest and ask her what her name was again.

Guest celadondragon

I actually met this girl and became friends with her and knew her for about a month and did NOT know her name. We went to the same gym and she didn't really talk to anyone else so there was really no chance of me hearing someone else call her by her name. LOL~! I know some of you are thinking how can you be friends with someone and not know their name? I know it's so weird, but I know her name now. When I would talk to her, I just would say 'you' or other things to avoid the whole name thing, which wasn't that hard. But uh I found it out after I asked her to put her number in my phone.

Haha that's happened to me before. Usually I try and find someone that knows the other person so I can ask them. One time I met this girl in one of my classes but I couldn't catch her name due to some noise and the fact that her name was kinda unique. Eventually I found it out when she had to sign her name under mine for class.

haha...there are times when i forget a friend's name suddenly,.. it's embarrasing sometimes cause i've known them for what, five years already,since we started college, and we see each other almost everyday....but really, i don't know what's wrong with my memory, sometimes when i'm talking with my friends, and i try to say their name but i can't coz i've forgotten it....i just ask "what's your name again?" then laugh out loud so they'll think i'm joking...

it would have been understandable if that person is a high school acquaintance whom even though i've known for a long time, but wouldn't have had opportunity to meet since starting college (i tend to forget names of people whom i haven't seen for a long time)...

Guest Katee-Nguyen

Haha, that happened to me too :lol:

It was at the beginning of the school year. I met this real nice girl during lunch break.

I somehow got into conversation with her^^ So ever since that we've been talking everytime we met.

(she's not in my class cuz she's one year above me)

Hehe, The funniest part is that i never knew what her name was. And i where pretty sure she didn't know mine either.

Neither of us mentioned that, we talked about anything and we just used "you" Until recently when a friend of mine said

"Claudia asked me what your name was. Don't you guyes talk, like everyday?"

- I was like.. Eh, whaaat? Who's Claudia?

Hehe, at least i know her name now :P

Guest cannotfindserver

me! this is one of my most embarrassing problems. it's that bad. there was a time i'd ask someone what their name was and the next day i'd forget about it. it has been like that to every acquaintance that i got to meet and even with some people i should know about. it bugged me much that i've decided to actually stop trying so d@mn hard to remember them. so i stopped asking altogether. how ironic that when i just heard their names uttered by other people, it tends to stick more. -___-

My first way involves a second person: When you met the person whose name you don't know introduce them to your friend.

the spiel goes like this. You are walking around with Peter. Then you met Mary. But you can't remember her name. I usually say:

Me: Ok... this is Peter. Peter this is.... oh you know what You're old enough to do it yourself.

It never failed me before. Usually the people look at me with a: YOUR RIGHT! And introduce themselves.

My second way is a game. Ask them for a rhyme with your name. No matter whether they find one or not laugh and say... ok.. try your name.

Archived