[Sitcom 2009] Highkick Through The Roof 지붕 뚫고 하이킥

Guest yeohweping

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest RemixeD2ice

OMG! Why did it have to end this way???? I LOVED THIS SERIES but they ruined it at the end. It was so perfect!

Ditto.

And I know I'm late on this but I'm gonna have to rant.

First of all, I watched more than half the show (around episode 80). I didn't finish it because I was really fed up with SeKyung never seeing what JunHyuk would do for her (Yoon Si Yoon's character is my favorite here). She just kept liking JiHoon and all that JunHyuk did for her was pretty much overlooked. And he's such a sweet boy I couldn't continue watching without feeling extremely bad. I seriously cried for him. And then, because I couldn't take it anymore, I scanned through this thread trying to find a glimmer of hope for the remaining 40 episodes I hadn't seen. And there wasn't any. Being a JunSe supporter, I knew they kissed on episode 125, but what's the point of a kiss when it was pretty much one sided?

And then right after she lets him kiss her, she's going to leave and tell JiHoon it was him all along that she loved? And then die?

I'm sorry, but WHAT?

No. Just no.

I'm so disappointed and angry that I wasted my time watching so many episodes only to have it end like this.

Why can't a drama/sitcom ever be perfect? Actually, there has been ones with perfect endings, but only like 5 out of 24765894 shows out there.

Poor poor JunHyuk. :(:tears:

The director said in an interview that people have criticized the ending for its lack of hope. It shattered hope, because Sekyoung was the one person, probably most people were hoping would succeed and make something of herself. But to find comfort and solace, solely because everything worked out for Sk would be shallow and superficial. What he wanted to say was that we should live life cherishing hope and fully experiencing it when it's given, <i>because </i>it's difficult to gain, because it doesn't just fall onto your lap. The fact that SK frees herself from her housekeeper status, and moves on from that home, onto a new place, should be regarded in itself as SK breaking "through the roof." He compares this to SK 'breaking out from her eggshell' (reference to Demian).

Oh, and, I don't understand how anyone could honestly be convinced that Jihoon fell in love with SK in the last scene. That's such a shallow interpretation, and reflects very little comprehension. After a certain point, it is obvious that Jihoon really cared for and had compassion and pity for SK, but that's it. He regretted watching her spend her youth as a housekeeper, with no room to form her own dreams. Jihoon may be a socially awkward person, but when he cares for people, he cares for them genuinely. He's a direct and honest person, and can be very warm. In the car, as SK truly opens up to him for the first time, he is then sorry that he caused her (unintentionally) to fall in love with him. Though he probably knew, it was probably different hearing her directly confess her feelings for him, and to listen to her release everything she's been suppressing, and to understand how much quiet pain she's been in. It was never what he wanted, and that love is something he can't return, in the same manner, because he doesn't think of her that way, and he LOVES JEONGEUM.

And it makes sense to focus the ending on SK, because she was the only one who really truly needed to make a transition. Mostly, she had stayed quiet, reserved, and very much a mystery in terms of what she's really feeling, and how she takes in life. It was calming to listen to her share her insights, and watch herself really be free, unguarded, and happy.

I honestly feel that the sitcom stayed a comedy family sitcom through the end. High Kick, even from season one, had always been more about the subtle and candid moments. E.G. When Haeri ties her hand to Shinae's and they're eating, then you see Haeri actually sharing her galbi with Shinae. When Jeongeum leaves early for work, and has to skip breakfast, but Julian rushes over and shoves a toast in her mouth, and Kwangsu tosses her a milk. When SK and Shinae bring their father over to the place that had 'sheltered' but also employed her, and Sunkyoung (the mother/ex-employer) tells SK to sit down, and serves her and her family as the guests.

The last few episodes were saturated with these moments. This is the real charm of this director's sitcoms.

Plus, who's to say that just because two characters died very unexpectedly, that it failed to stay a family sitcom? Sure it lacks comedy, but why does it have to end comedically? It had plenty of comedy throughout the end, as subtle as it may be. As far as family sitcom, death is a part of life. Friends and family will die, and often, they can die when they're too young, when they should not, and certainly when they don't deserve to.

It's nice that you get a glimpse of Jeongeum and Junhyuk, who appear to have moved on, and are doing well in life, but not while forgetting. Isn't this how life is?

I don't even think the death scene was overdone either, like some other dramas.

I didn't want to write this long reply, but I feel like people were just expecting some corny cheesy ending all happy and awkwardly fit together, but because they were thrown a curveball, they're throwing a fit. It's not fair to the creator, who thought way longer and harder about the ending than most of his viewers (obviously). Don't trivialize and degrade the ending out of spite.

What a stupid and nonsense ending! PD was totally out of his mind. Im watching this show because of JH and JE but now I give it up bcuz everything was ruined. How could it be possible for JH fall in love w SK within 10 eps eventhough he did care for her but nothing was beyond that. He was totally in love w JE bcuz she made him laugh and comfortable. And even the way they broke up was out of mind. JH was smart so could he possibly let things go that easily w/o finding out the reason? And if they were in love, JE should tell him her situation so they could overcome it. However the dead of JH and SK mades this sitcome from the best to the worst

Im at ep 124 with the hope that JH and JE got back together even knowing the sad ending but I dont think I can stand it any more

Guest chandra_andra

i just watched this series a week ago and im addicted with this drama especially for jijung omg i just love them

the way they're caring,love, joke and all of the the thing they share together

and i love fans in here with every detail you share from the series, you guys make me watch this series again and again

and guys please help me where can i watch ep 73 with english subtitle pretty please i've been looking everywhere but i cant find it tears.giftears.giftears.giftears.gif

Guest Jaejoongsgirl<3

i just watched this series a week ago and im addicted with this drama especially for jijung omg i just love them

the way they're caring,love, joke and all of the the thing they share together

and i love fans in here with every detail you share from the series, you guys make me watch this series again and again

and guys please help me where can i watch ep 73 with english subtitle pretty please i've been looking everywhere but i cant find it tears.giftears.giftears.giftears.gif

its on dramafever.com if u live in US and CAN u should have access to it.

okay so i just finished watching HKTTR after my friend recommend me to go and watch it.So I started off the sitcom knowing the ending is bad, but i read a review that said even though the ending was bad it does not ruin the many happy/sad/funny moments that the sitcom brought. since i knew that characters were going to die my review is a bit different.

I started watching HKTTR knowing that 2 characters were going to die I remember reading it over at allkpop one time I knew that it was Sekyung and someone else and I assumed that it was Yoon Shi Hoon. As I started watching the sitcom I totally forgot that 2 of the main characters were going to die. I was so immersed into the characters and their relationships and the story line that I totally forgot. I was on the opposite polar end of everyone in thos end because I am a JiSe shipper and JungHyun shipper. I really wanted JiSe to end up together but as I was wactching I totally fell in love with JiJung and was captured by their cuteness.

Midway through the series I wanted to find out who was going to die and I than I found out that it was Ji Hoon and SeKyung and thats all I knew about the ending that these 2 characters were going to die in a car crash. I assumed that the ending would show the deaths of the 2 characters but surely it would wrap up the story lines of the other characters so it was bittersweet feeling. This is what I ASSUMED.

Anyway, as I watching the rest of the sitcom I totally forgot again that 2 characters would die until like episode 120 when the sitcom begins to shift tone as a makjang melodrama. It finally hit me that its not going to be a happy ending. In a twisted since I am a JiSe shipper from the start I was "happy" that they were going to die together. I was conjuring all different types of ending such as that SeKyung would be like if you stop me from leaving than I wont and jiHoon would finally realize his feelings for her. But the ending was nothing like I imagined.

I watched the ending and I am in utter shock and despair. Like what just happened. The sitcom does not bring a sense of closure. It leaves you hanging and thinking of the what ifs like Jung Eum said. The other characters are not focused on one bit and their storylines were totally left you hanging. Even if the ending was a JiJung and JunSe ending I would still be happy and pleased. I was watching the ending and when SeKyung said "I wish time would stop here" and Ji Hoon turned to her I was like OMG what is he going to say and the show just stop and the credit roles OMGGGAHHHHHHHH I was like shaking for a good 5 minutes. Although I knew the characters were going to die but not like this.

As for my delusional ending. I think that JiSe are in a coma and that Jung Eum and Jun Hyun are waiting for them to wake up. Although the ending is terrible at least its left open for interpretation and not just they died. The End. which would leave me more with pain.

HKKTR is a really funny and good sitcom I would skip the last episode and just watch till 125. But all the funny antics of the sitcom and the good memories it brings does not go away because of the ending. And remember this is the PDs ending but we can all have our own endings.

And someone said that they would watch the careers of the 4 actors in the series and I have to say a year later these 4 actors have come so far since last year. Shin Se Kyung had movies and cfs lining up for her. Shes like a overnight celebrity and 2010 has been a great year so far. Hwang Jung Eum played an amazing role in one of the most popular shows this year Giant. She definitely has showed her versatility and range as an actress. Daniel Choi acted in his first movie which was hugely successful in Cyrano Dating Agency. He is also going to be in a new drama called The Musical with Gu Hye Sun and he is also endorses many products as well. And lastly Yoon Shi Hoon definitely one of the most rising stars of 2010 starred in the top rated drama of the year Baker King Kim Tak Gu. In his first lead role in a drama became the highest rated drama of 2010. I watched BK before I watched KHTTR and you can definitely see how much Yoon Shi Hoon as matured since than. HKTTR opened many doors for these actor and actresses and Im definitely going to watch and see their careers.

HKTTR was my first sitcom and minus the ending I loved IT! And I am happy that I watched it! :)

As for the four people who died in the accident as reported in the newscast, I interpreted it as all four characters (Jun-Hyuk, Ji-Hoon, Se-Kyung and Jung-Eum) "dying" in some sort of sense. With the car accident, they were all inevitably forced to start anew.

Some of the characters wanted a new beginning, and others didn't. Jung-Eum desperately wanted to get her life back on track, and found it too painful to do so while seeing Ji-Hoon, so she ignored his calls and moved back home. Se-Kyung saw her family's immigration to another country as a new beginning, and wished that Jun-Hyuk would meet and fall in love with another girl in college. Jun-Hyuk and Ji-Hoon both couldn't see themselves starting a new life without the girls they cared for, which was why Ji-Hoon bought the ring for Jung-Eum and Jun-Hyuk kept crying and couldn't focus in class.

Truthfully, I'm not a fan of the ending that much, but it's really not that bad after some thinking and analysis. Don't get me wrong, though. It's still bad, but bearable. I really don't want to believe that Ji-Hoon had romantic feelings for Se-Kyung, but after what I read about the PD's intention for the last episode and the lyrics for the song playing in the background during their car ride (posted a few pages back, a song by Rachel Yamagata and Ray LaMontagne, I think) they're two points that are too specific and purposeful to be just overlooked. I really want to disregard the song since it's in English, but... throughout the series, the use of English wasn't that bad. I was actually impressed with how accurate most (if not all) of it was, so the lyrics had to have some kind of meaning, even if it's not in Korean.

I forgot who wrote about it (sorry!) but about Jung-Eum bringing Ji-Hoon happiness, and Se-Kyung more worries and concern than anything else, I agree with you completely; because of that, I can't imagine Se-Kyung and Ji-Hoon becoming a truly happy and balanced couple.

It's true that Ji-Hoon's behavior was more like an older brother looking out for a younger sister, but it's not like he takes care of one girl more than the other. Whether it's because he's generous or just has a lot of dough as a surgeon, he spends money selflessly on both girls. While lots of people are attracted by similarities, Ji-Hoon's attraction to Jung-Eum's differences was stronger than to Se-Kyung. Jung-Eum appears in his everyday life to his face, while Se-Kyung just follows him in his shadow all the time until he takes notice of her.

About Shin Se-Kyung suggesting first that her character should be killed off, I was initially horrified and even a little angry, but doesn't she know her character the best? It's true that Se-Kyung's constantly unhappy, and while other characters are able to enjoy life to a certain extent, she's always sacrificing her own happiness for others because that's how she's always lived her life and that's all she knows. I don't agree with the ending, and it's selfishly centered on one person, but I understand how it works. Sort of.

It also didn't make much sense to me that Ji-Hoon and Se-Kyung could have run away together, seeing as they're two of the more sensible and logical characters in the show.

Honestly, though, the finale was a total killer. Now I can't watch the cute Ji-Hoon and Jung-Eum couple scenes without tearing up. Ugh. For a sitcom, it's making me think way too hard.

I can't really explain it but the atmosphere of the sitcom as a whole reminded me of one of Murakami's novels...

I totally agree with you! I read "Never Let Me Go" a month ago, and it left me with the same bittersweet angst that I felt when I finished watching HKTTR today. I don't know if we're talking about the same book, though.

No matter how many times I watched the last eps to find any sense it brought, it is still hard to accept the fact of them died in a car accident.

I agreed if the PD wanted to let us know that life isnt always full of roses but dead doesnt mean it at any rate

Just bcuz SK's love is juts one sided so dieing together is the only way she could be with the one she loved?

Its totally against what she said earlier about when u love s.o u dont have to be w that person

Its hard to live to move on at some point for SK and for all of us

But we still are fighting to live

Never give up

Thats y the ending is so freaking stupid

I hate it so so much

JH loves JE and so does she

JH never had any feelings for SK

And it would be ridiculous if he had some but didnt know until SK told her about her feelings

Anw a very good sitcom was ruined by its ending

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Lil.Miss.A

so I just finished the series (it's kinda late, but I just have to spazz) - marathoned the last 15+ episodes just to watch the wretched ending.

seriously, I think I wud've accepted the ending better if the PD hadn't clarified that the two actually died and that JiHoon realized that the one he really loved was SeKyung.

without his explanation, it would've been an open ending, maybe not a great ending, but at least it wudn't suck as much.

I'm a JiJung shipper so I might be bias but I really don't think it's fair for us to be given 50+ of JiJung episodes just to be left with 10 mins of JiSe ending. Especially when he's finally going to go after her to propose.

As someone else said, the last epi seems like a cut from another sitcom/drama - doesn't make sense and doesn't fit with the 125 earlier episodes.

To compare it with season 1, I do think the story in S2 were funnier/more interesting than S1, tho the ending was definitely better in S1.

Heard about HK season 3 too.. not sure if I want to watch it since it's by SAME bloody PD. But we'll see.. Hope the PDs learnt their lesson from the wrath of the viewers with S2 ending.

so I just finished the series (it's kinda late, but I just have to spazz) - marathoned the last 15+ episodes just to watch the wretched ending.

seriously, I think I wud've accepted the ending better if the PD hadn't clarified that the two actually died and that JiHoon realized that the one he really loved was SeKyung.

without his explanation, it would've been an open ending, maybe not a great ending, but at least it wudn't suck as much.

I'm a JiJung shipper so I might be bias but I really don't think it's fair for us to be given 50+ of JiJung episodes just to be left with 10 mins of JiSe ending. Especially when he's finally going to go after her to propose.

As someone else said, the last epi seems like a cut from another sitcom/drama - doesn't make sense and doesn't fit with the 125 earlier episodes.

To compare it with season 1, I do think the story in S2 were funnier/more interesting than S1, tho the ending was definitely better in S1.

Heard about HK season 3 too.. not sure if I want to watch it since it's by SAME bloody PD. But we'll see.. Hope the PDs learnt their lesson from the wrath of the viewers with S2 ending.

[/

Even if they died together I dont believe that JH loved SK ever. She was just always his little sister who he did really cared for without knowing her true feeling. Until when they were on the car and she started speaking out everything she had held from beginning, he then realized how he must have hurt her unpurposedly.

Like u said if he ever loved her he definitely would felt it at some point bcuz JH was the one who always thought and acted very logically.He did ask her not to leave but if u put it in a scene when she was supposed to leave for Haiti which was even poorer than Korean so how would she be able to live for her dream or whatever? I didnt see any future for her at all.

For me JIhoon does love JE for who she is, even though they are totally opposite but since they started dating, we never saw them fought or have conflicts over something beside JH's busy schedule but he always tried to make it up for her. They did compromise and support each other so much.

Its impossible for me to believe in a JISE ending

Never

Oh my god, I'm in the middle of watching the serie, but I was curious so I went in here to read some reviews..

Who knew that I would meet with a bomb like this in here? Someone's DYING?! And those someones are JiHoon and SeKyung?!

I'm very very afraid of watching all the way now.. maybe I should just stop before last ep? Haha

Gosh, I'm so very much in love with this serie and more importantly, I'm very very much in love with JiHoon - both character and look.

I'm so doomed.

Will be back... T_T

Just finished watching this and i love it <3

It is quite funny at first and yet so sad at the last few episodes.

still cant get over the fact that jihoon and sekyung died in a car accident >.<

but that is life isnt it? Always filled with unexpected.

I still hope for happy ending though for jihoon abd jung eum. They are so cute together :)

Guest poootythang

Hi, does anyone know the name of the sad piano piece that constantly plays throughout the sitcom? Has it been officially released in the OST? I can't seem to find it.

The same for me, I finished the drama yesterday at 2-3 AM and I wanted to scream in my room like a mad man!! It's like the PD took something from me and many of the audience. We don't want an ending with profound feelings about life, etc... I watched this sitcom cause of the warm and happy feelings that transpired from the show, to cheer me up. And it was taken from us cause the PD wanted an ending that HE wanted, I understand that he directs the show but this is a family sitcom.

The PD says that life has to be cherished? What about Shin Ae? What about Jung Eum? What about Joon Hyuk?

I wonder if the PD lost someone close to him to treat life so cheaply. Are we supposed to be happy that Se Kyung and Ji Hoon died together? The death of someone is so devastating for everyone around the victims.

I'm so pissed of, I regret ever watching this show cause of this damned last episode, and I saw a LOT of crappy endings in K-drama!!

Guest FiddyPence

The last episode, badly done. Don't care how good the other eps were and how much I thought the children actresses ROCKED. That last episode just made it feel like there was meant to be more eps but it got cut (for whatever reason, it was doing well in ratings) and then the PD was like "Oh, let me just randomly kill them without any emotional development afterwards". No perspective from the family or Se Kyungs family. Nothing, nothing about how they got on. Just some shallow Ex tutor and ex student meeting randomly after she's finally successful talking as though their past loves eloped, not died. Sloppy sloppy sloooopppyyyyy.

Archived