Japanese Discussion 日本語の討論会

Guest putasmileon

Guest violet-anne

eng name -flora/florrie フローラ

korean name- 김혜연   キム・ヒェヨン

this 2 right?? what about thes rest of the long sentences??

sorry, one last, how to pronouce??? ^^

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

eng name -flora/florrie フローラ

korean name- 김혜연   キム・ヒェヨン

this 2 right?? what about thes rest of the long sentences??

sorry, one last, how to pronouce??? ^^

She said you can write it in hiragana too if you want but foreigner's names are usually written using katakana.

フローラ is 'furoora'

キム・ヒェヨン is 'kimu heyon'..kind of

Guest orangecake

She said you can write it in hiragana too if you want but foreigner's names are usually written using katakana.

フローラ is 'furoora'

キム・ヒェヨン is 'kimu heyon'..kind of

ありがとう~。 :lol:

Guest stellabella

Hey Tamago- I think I've asked you this before but I forgot :P

How long have you been studying Japanese/How long did it take you to master it (if you have, I'm not sure)/How did you learn it?

Thanks!

Hey Tamago- I think I've asked you this before but I forgot :P

How long have you been studying Japanese/How long did it take you to master it (if you have, I'm not sure)/How did you learn it?

Thanks!

I wouldn't even consider myself a master of English much less Japanese, haha

I've been doing Japanese for around 3 years, one was self-study which didn't amount to much, then one year was spent at an intensive program at Cornell University called FALCON, it's 9 hours a day of speaking and listening for a whole year, so it's basically around 4 levels of university Japanese courses in one year.

http://lrc.cornell.edu/falcon/japanese.html

Then after that I spent around a year in Japan at a school where I took all my subjects and stuff in Japanese, that helped quite alot (but caused some mental trauma =P)

And here I am now :)

Guest akira53

Does your school have a placement exam? They're pretty accurate at determining a person's level and usually required before you enroll in anything about the 100 levels and haven't previously taken a language course there.

I'd say take the accelerated course, but only if can go into non-accelerated as a backup. If you go into non-accelerated first, and find it's too easy for you it will probably be too late for you to do the accelereated course due to how fast the pace is, but if you go into the accelerated and find it's too hard it shouldn't be a problem to go back into non-accelerated

yeah well I placed in 201 but I took that test at the end of my senior year in high school so my Japanese was much better than (as far as reading and writing goes). If I take the accellerated course, which I probably will be doing, I doubt I can go back to a regular 201 course since Japanese course here fill up super fast. But that would mean I can't withdraw either...by the time I do that I probably won't be able to gain my FT student status back =/...thanks for the advice. We'll see how it goes ><

Guest dr jung

I've been doing Japanese for around 3 years, one was self-study which didn't amount to much, then one year was spent at an intensive program at Cornell University called FALCON, it's 9 hours a day of speaking and listening for a whole year, so it's basically around 4 levels of university Japanese courses in one year.

Then after that I spent around a year in Japan at a school where I took all my subjects and stuff in Japanese, that helped quite alot (but caused some mental trauma =P)

I read through the schedule, and everything else on the website, and looks pretty intense. No wonder you've become very proficient in only 3 years. :)

I also want to study more when I go to college, but I'm not sure if my school would offer anything similar to Cornell. I would do the summer courses, but I can't afford it if there's no financial aid for high schoolers. :mellow::vicx:

Just a question though, were you attending regular Cornell classes concurrently with the FALCON program, or just the language program?

I read through the schedule, and everything else on the website, and looks pretty intense. No wonder you've become very proficient in only 3 years. :)

I also want to study more when I go to college, but I'm not sure if my school would offer anything similar to Cornell. I would do the summer courses, but I can't afford it if there's no financial aid for high schoolers. :mellow::vicx:

Just a question though, were you attending regular Cornell classes concurrently with the FALCON program, or just the language program?

No, you're not really allowed to take regular Cornell classes concurrently with FALCON, since FALCON meets from basically 8-4 and then 7-10 everyday. I suppose someone could if they really wanted to but I didn't =D

You could always do FALCON for the summer or full year once you get into college. As far as I know Cornell is the only place besides special government programs that will train you that intensively.

You'll still do fine in university level Japanese courses though, because most are much more better and comprehensive than high school level courses, and 2-3 years of university Japanese with a summer/academic year study abroad in Japan would put you in good shape

Guest stellabella

That's awesome. Seems like a lot of work but fun too.

Anyone know if theres anything like this for korean?

what is fluffy in japanese? i have been wandering about that for awhile..i used a translator and it gave me fuwa fuwa

Technically it depends on how you use it

If you're using it to modify something else you have to say fuwafuwa shita, like a fluffy cat would be fuwafuwa shita neko (フワフワした猫). If you're using it alone just to say fluffy then fuwafuwa is fine..fuwafuwa desu ne, etc

Guest xserene

Hi, can someone translate my given Chinese name (Wu Pei Ying) to Japanese for me?

Wu is actually Goh in Japanese, and that's all I know, haha.

Guest xserene

Thanks!

Is there any like nasal sounds in Japanese so its like eeng? Just wondering~

And would my Chinese name be the same as my Kanji name? o_O;;

Haha, sorry I don't really know too much about Japanese scripts.

Thanks!

Is there any like nasal sounds in Japanese so its like eeng? Just wondering~

And would my Chinese name be the same as my Kanji name? o_O;;

Haha, sorry I don't really know too much about Japanese scripts.

There's no g sound in japanese, so no.

I don't think it would.

btw, that was in katakana if you didn't know. :sweatingbullets:

Guest xserene

Oh okay, thanks SO MUCH <3 heehee

edit: Oh sorry to bother you again, but I have another question haha..

My sister's name is Wu Pei Yi, but since there's no g sound, would thatmean we have the same name? LOL

Archived