Does Being Around Your Parents Stress You Out?

Guest 영원한 사랑

Guest 영원한 사랑

- Asian parents thread in GD
Whenever i'm around my parents it seems like they are always complaining and negative about everything they do. Most of the time, being around them just makes me depressed cuz they always dwell on the problems in their life. They complain they don't have enough money and they also nag about all this stupid crap. I feel like as they get older, it gets worse. :o My mom will complain about something not being done right, then blame it on my dad. He will then claim he did nothing wrong and get mad at my mom, which turns into a fight. That itself makes me go absolutely nuts. Anyways, I know i should understand them, but they REALLY are too much sometimes. :o Iono....even my cousins parents are like this....they always are negative and never are satisfied with their money or their life...and they ALWAYS dwell on problems 24/7.

Anyways, sometimes i really feel like im going to blow up and sometimes i wanna really make them shut the f* up.

Also, not only that but they seem to be negative and unsatisfied with my school grades and everything that i do...

I just don't understand why parents especially korean parents are so freaking negative. Can't they accept what they got and work with that...instead of nitpicking all the problems and wrong things....trying to make situations worse than it is O.O

ANYWAYS, do you feel stressed out and bothered when you are with your parents??

LIKE THEY ARE SO NEGATIVE IT DRIVES YOU NUTS?

Guest ohemqeex3

my mother badgers me every day that i don't have a job.

she goes and on and on. over time i learn to block out her voice :P

it's definitely an asian parent thing. they grew up with lots of discipline.

I just recently moved back in to live with my parents after graduation and yeah, they really, really stress me out. everything i do is criticized. when i didn't have a job, my parents complained that i didn't have a job and now that i do, they complain because i do. it's like a constant war and nothing you do is right. so yes, being around my parents do stress me out.

Yes, I feel stressed and pissed when I'm around my parents. Even my brother feels the same way.

My parents always like to force me to do things I'd rather not do. Like my dad will yell at me to eat with him for dinner. And my mom is trying to teach me all this cooking stuff, because she thinks I won't survive in college. Whenever she is around me, she constantly talks even if I don't respond back.

I love them as parents, but whenever I'm around them, I forget about their concern for me. Perhaps I am too young to appreciate the time I'm able to spend with them.

Maybe things will change in a few years.

Guest hyperactivequeenliz

i feel the same way with my mom.

she always yell at me for every single little thing.

and my dad would just be like, in the shadow and she would get him to richard simmons at us too.

like me & my sisters could never explain how we feel about something cause that would be considered as 'rude'.

she's sooo freaken negative, needy, jealous...

all my life, i didn't really spend any time with my mom since she works all the time.

this summer, we went to california for vacation for 1 week, and i saw her true colors.

and you know what, it disappoints me.

and then when we came back, she decided to take ANOTHER, week off.

so i have to deal with her for 2 freaken weeks.

this whole week, i don't remember ever not being yelled at.

i'd rather love my mom from far away than be close to her.

cause i'm just so sick of her because of all she says or does.

all asian parents... are pretty darn close minded.

it's up to you and your generation to stop that cycle.

*sigh

*huggss

=/

Guest _ATELIER

i feel the exact same as you. sometimes i jsut wish they worked overtime

so i wouldn't have to deal with their complaints, but w.e they're my parents and that's life.

Guest Regina Rae

I don't feel stressed really, I just feel irritable.

Like every word they say makes me want to bang my head against the wall.

But idk. I guess that can be classified at stressed out. //

Guest pocketsoul

My parents, particularly my mom, tend to be more positive then I am. When I get a bad grade, I'm told that I can do better next semester . When I feel stressed out, I'm told that dwelling on the subject won't bring anything positive anyway. It's these kind of positive reinforcements that make me re-evaluate how I think and deal with different kinds of situations. I think it could work the same way with other people too. Even when your parents are being negative and complaining about this or that, keep a positive attitude and be patient. Often times, people are this way because they are looking at a situation one-dimensionally, but if they could see how they could improve their situation or see it in a different light, maybe they would change.

Guest aznsweetie143

Being around my father stresses me out because he's obnxious, and that definitely drives me nuts.

My mother is a very open minded and chill person, so I get along with her. She tells me she's proud of me often.

From my familys experiences, she has learnt that you can't push your kids too far. My cousin nearly killed herself from stress from parents, and even after she graduated med school, her parents were still too hard on her.

So my parents keep their expectations pretty low for me, especially after my brother. (he graduated with all cs throughout hs) in the end, its made me really successful. :)

So in the end, I kind of get stressed frm being around my dad too much, but my mother is really relaxing.

I do feel for y'all though. Having two pushy parents is torture! Just let it motivate you to do well in high school so you can move out asap ;)

u

Guest juicejuice

My parents' puts me down, nags, complains to me continually. Having Asian parents are like that, its like they are never satisfied with their kids, they never truly show how proud their kids are. They don't know when to stop complaining and nagging either. One thing I hate is that when I say something and they say the same thing what I have said and thinking that was their idea.... <_<

The fact that they complain about stuff and do nothing about it bothers me. My boyfriend noticed this as well, he told me to talk back to them...I was like...to them talking back means disrespect .... :mellow: ....

I wish they are more positive. All they say is, look at "insert name here" she/he is doing great at school/ very successful, why can't you be like her/him? Why are you so useless? I told you this already, why didn't you listen to me? They give me so much negativity, it helps it some ways but it really lowers their kids self-esteem.

The fact that they make themselves "right" all the time even if they are wrong, never admit defeat its like losing face or something. They drive me crazy. They were the reason why I apply to university that are always away from them.

Guest IckyVicky<3dongbang

Yeah. I know they want the best for me but it can be frustrating and a lot of pressure when they're telling, nagging, w/e.

That's why i like it when i work because they'll leave me more alone or when i go to school, because move to near campus and i feel i can

think for myself. It's not like i make bad choices, they just want me to stay on track and focus on school and my future AND

that's what i'm doing. They just have to learn to trust me and know that i am doing what i know is best for me. Parents just worry. =)

But i'm lucky to have understanding parents. Even if they disagree I'll explain things and they'll think it over and i do it and they see that i am out for the best for me and them. =)

Guest HelloTharrTiff

I don't feel stressed really, I just feel irritable.

Like every word they say makes me want to bang my head against the wall.

But idk. I guess that can be classified at stressed out. //

Yes. Exactly how I feel -_-

Guest ilovethatpanda

everytime i'm with my mom, the word
studying
comes out. she compares me with other kids and tells me how they do so good in school while i just sit in front of the computer wasting time looking at guys. she promised to pay me 10 bucks everytime i read, though.

and everytime i'm with my dad, the word
weight
comes out. he wants me to lose weight. i'm only 53kgs and it fits perfectly with my height. am i overweight? no. and i underweight? yes, probably for my age. but he still wants me to lose atleast 10kgs. wft.

i hate being under the roof with them .______. ugh.

Guest jaehan

yea dude. once my mom comes home, it's like everything negative about me is brought up. and if i leave, it returns tenfold :wacko:

but hey, sometimes it's helpful. if i there's something important that i have to do, at least my mom will be nagging/reminding me about it for an hour :sweatingbullets:

Most of the complaining are done from my mother. My father rarely complains, he's more of the jokester. I'm able to say things to him without worrying about the consequences of my words, but when he's serious, he's dead serious and you can get a mouthful from him and that's about all.

My mother on the other hand has a mouth built on her. She could go on and on for hours or even days about the same damn thing. But then again I can understand the stress she's under. I've learned to give her a break sometimes and just let her let it out even if the simplest things can tick her off.

I'm use to it that it doesn't bother me as much as it use to but there are still days where I just have to escape from it.

I like to believe their nagging and complaining is their way of trying to better me as a human being and get me ready for the real world, even if it could be the stupidest things they nag about.

• 5 years later...
Guest koreanlotus

juicejuice said: My parents' puts me down, nags, complains to me continually. Having Asian parents are like that, its like they are never satisfied with their kids, they never truly show how proud their kids are. They don't know when to stop complaining and nagging either. One thing I hate is that when I say something and they say the same thing what I have said and thinking that was their idea.... image

The fact that they complain about stuff and do nothing about it bothers me. My boyfriend noticed this as well, he told me to talk back to them...I was like...to them talking back means disrespect .... image ....

I wish they are more positive. All they say is, look at "insert name here" she/he is doing great at school/ very successful, why can't you be like her/him? Why are you so useless? I told you this already, why didn't you listen to me? They give me so much negativity, it helps it some ways but it really lowers their kids self-esteem.

The fact that they make themselves "right" all the time even if they are wrong, never admit defeat its like losing face or something. They drive me crazy. They were the reason why I apply to university that are always away from them.

Guest I_play_with_dolls

My parents are constantly bickering or saying negative things about other people. They don't say anything bad about me though, in fact they're really scared of upsetting me but they have no problem making everyone else feel like ants .Honestly negative vibe like that really depresses me so I tune them out a lot. 

Archived