[Drama 2010] Slave Hunters / Chuno 추노

Guest o-cha

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest barca17

hi guys. :rolleyes:

Must know Korean drama Is very favor in iran. Recently iran Public Network say : After drama "kingdom of the wind" (Series Now) Show that the drma" slave hunters " .

This series will be played with the dubbing.

srfeslj3282kdsrs88nf4ek2f3.gif

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Guest gwapa_ko

I'm totally regretting why i didn't watch this drama in its original run in KBS World!!!! -_-:( I mainly watched this because of Lee Jong Hyuk and as the drama progresses it just got better!!! Plus so many hot men in this drama! Gosh! blush.gif:wub:

I love Daegil, Gen Choi and Wang Son!!! :wub: :wub:

I just finished watching --- well not really because I haven't watched like one fourth of the series because the links where the site I'm watching are broken --dead! :angry: Of all the episodes, the last episode's link was dead! So anti climactic! Grrrr..

I hope I can find a DVD of this drama.

Blogged about it: http://koreandramasdirectory.blogspot.com/2011/04/chuno-slave-hunters.html

Guest gwapa_ko

Just finished watching this and it left me speechless. Jang Hyuk was just amazing and Lee Jong Hyuk was an amazing antagonist. Sigh. :wub: I cried like baby watching the last episode especially the dying scene of Daegil with Seolhwa. tears.giftears.gif

Daegil (dying): "Seolhwa, I'm sorry. Darkness surrounded me, that's why I couldn't see your heart was beating for me."

• 1 month later...
Guest janezio

TELEVIEWS / What will we see in the light of July's digital dawn?

Wm. Penn / Daily Yomiuri Columnist (Jun. 10, 2011)

Are you ready? There are just six weeks left until terrestrial digital TV takes over in Japan. Only the prefectures of Miyagi, Iwate and Fukushima will be given a year's reprieve. Everyone else will need a digital TV or a digital tuner for their old TV to be able to watch TV from July 24.

The second question is: Will there be anything worth watching? The private networks have released their first digital TV summer drama lineups, but they don't look much more promising than the dismal analog spring selection. Many of those series were so disappointing and depressing, they ended after just seven or eight weeks of single-digit ratings. Heartwarming, inspiring and intriguing programming--that's what viewers want.

There definitely will be one excellent drama on air this summer. The 17th-century South Korean historical series Chuno: The Slave Hunters starts June 22 (in Korean with subtitles, Wednesdays and Thursdays, 12:35 p.m.-1:30 p.m., TV Tokyo). A true masterpiece, the drama earned many accolades and ratings over 40 percent in its home country last year. It offers a great cast, beautiful cinematography, several love stories, lots of action, an award-winning script brimming with fully developed characters and plenty of great observations on the meaning of life, love and the human condition. When was the last time we saw all that in a Japanese TV drama?

Jang Hyuk plays Lee Dae Gil. As a rich young man, he falls in love with one of his family's slaves, Un Nyun (Lee Da Hae). After her brother kills his father, burns down the estate and flees with Un Nyun, Lee becomes a slave hunter and spends the next 10 years tracking down the woman he loves. Meanwhile, she has met up with runaway slave Song Tae Ha (Oh Ji Ho), a former general who has been falsely convicted and sold into slavery. Several very interesting subplots are deftly woven into this powerful tale.

Oh is best known as a popular romantic comedy star. Chuno was his first attempt at a historical action drama--although you wouldn't guess it from watching him wield a monstrous machete-like sword. It was a real sword, too. He has told interviewers he got several nasty cuts and scrapes during filming. Engrossing viewing, this drama really should have been used to bolster TV Tokyo's weak evening lineup. Why it wasn't is just another of those baffling questions only the networks can answer. ....

(Jun. 10, 2011)

http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/dy/features/arts/T110608004734.htm

• 1 month later...

Omg, just finished watching this and I know i'm late but I don't care. At first I was for Th/HW but towards the end, I wanted DG/UN to get together. TH got a chance at love and even had a family, one that he did not really fight to protect. Whereas DG only had one love and never had a chance to be with her. He spent years looking for her and when he found her, he couldn't even have her. This upsets me because he deserved her more then TH. He loved her whole heartly, seeing beyond her status and imperfections whereas TH loved her when she was noble. TH couldn't even accept the fact that she was a slave until he further understood. Although he was a slave for a while he didn't even enderstand what it truely meant to be a slave because in his heart he knew he wasnt. This is why I'm mad. DG was always true from the start, true to his words and TH only spoke of it but finalyl realized later. True, pure, love sees no boundries and DG had it from the start.

I'm still mad the DG died, he deserved her!

• 8 months later...

QUOTE (ripgal @ Feb 28 2010, 12:03 AM) ^

^ I don't think TH knew beforehand that HW was slave, even after having seen the burnt mark. He probably thought she got hurt or something in the past. But I don't believe that he will ever abandon HW, even though he's slightly hung up on the fact that she's a slave. He's a man of righteousness and has vowed to protect HW until the end no matter what. He'll get over it soon.

But something DG said to TH in Ep 16 struck me hard. That sealed it for me that he was still 100% in love with UN, and will never do anything, ANYTHING, to hurt her. When DG and TH were resting in the hut, TH asked DG about HW's former status..etc and was still in disbelief that his dearest wife HW was a former slave (and technically still a slave right now), DG said something along the lines, "So what if she's slave (or not)? Does it matter? What's important is that you've given each other your hearts." That just BROKE my heart. Dae Gil or Dae Gil, altho you've long forsaken your dream to change the world, you've long forsaken your lingering hope that you could get together with UN one day, you're still that DG who believes in the love forged without boundaries. DG still believed that love could transcend status and class disparity albeit having said those mean stuff to HW earlier on.. he's still the old DG. Still, at least in terms of pursuing one's love. His love for UN, definitely will not waver for a very very long time.

Thank you for this translation, makes everything more clear....

MY heart broke again *some tears* DG ....what an amazing thing to say to TH now that he has learned his wife is a slave...

Just as she chose him above his status,slave or forced to be a slave, he should do the same for her...just as DG he just

chose to give her his heart no questions over ranks, levels or whatso...This is just why I love and root for DG ...there�s

light at the end of the tunnel, he�s got time to make things better ..  

QUOTE (inappropriatecrushes @ Feb 28 2010, 11:10 AM)

TH: So my wife… was a slave?

DG: What's that got to do with anything? Differentiating between yangban and sangneom (commoner), what does it matter? It’s fine as long as you give your hearts to each other.

TH: Even so… people's roots are an extremely strict matter.

[interruption: 사람의 근본은 지엄한 것이다, this line is a toughie for me, so I decided to just go literal. Imho this line can also be explained from many other angles: people's roots determine who people are; a person’s roots is his/her first source of being; identity is tied to a person’s origin, no two ways about it, neither can it ever be changed.

I’d hate to think that TH, the good man that he, is a snob, but clearly, like the generations of his time, his entire identity/belief system/core/being is entrenched in the rigid social hierarchy and class foundations of the Confucian code of ethics. I definitely don’t want to go into the issue of Confucian values being discriminatory, but it’s undeniable that it bred much hypocrisy (as ideology everywhere tends to do) which made a mockery of the whole system.

Anyway remember the reed field scene in episode 2? TH used the same word (근본/roots) to tell off the chief slave: “…our roots are clearly different (근본이 다르다), how dare you insinuate otherwise?”. The possible choice of words which could serve 근본 imho includes 'basis', 'fundamental', 'foundation' etc, but I’m using “roots” after Mister X’s previous subs.]

DG: It’s because jerks like you take up public office that the world has gone insane.

If men like you didn’t exist… men like me wouldn’t be here.

I don’t know why you went over to Jeju Island, but I see no other reason than your wanting to return to your position and live high on the hog just like the old days.

TH: You have no right to say that to me.

You’re a fine one to talk -- hunting slaves, harassing innocent people, behaving imprudently like a roughneck, all in the name of preserving the social order of Joseon.

[interruption again: At this juncture, I suddenly had a wait-a-minute moment. I’m sorry I'm very slow but I'm only just figuring out who writer Cheon Seong-Il based the character TH on -- it’s the “Confucian ideal human model”, maybe even the-sage-of-all-time Confucius himself (though I don’t know that Confucius wielded a knife with such lethal force). I mean, the ‘Confucian Superior Man’ is educated, with every part of his human nature tempered, balanced and controlled according to the ideal of the golden mean. He has sage-like qualities and is righteous in action, thought and speech in order to better society. Sound familiar? Problem is, all that magnificent repression oy vey, now we have on our hands a “confused Confucian”.]

DG: That’s only natural, seeing as it’s the only way for me to survive! It’s so that I can survive in a world created by government officials like you.

TH: Did you then… ever once think about changing the world?

DG: Hey, slave… wait, oh that’s right, slave-yangban. Heard of Hong Gil-Dong? Even he with his Taoist magic failed to change this screwed-up world, let alone someone like me who doesn’t know the first thing about magic.

TH: The world doesn’t change with magic. It is people who change the world.

DG: It doesn’t matter who does what, this screwed-up world… will never change.

TH: Do not thoughtlessly say “the world doesn’t change”. There is someone… who fears those words more than anything.

TH, who dares to dream of changing the world for a better place, is shattered by the discovery that his wife was a slave; he’s floundering and literally falling apart. Although DG dared to throw out his traditional values to fall in love with a slave, he’s now resigned to the world of unchanging wretchedness he inhabits, unable to awaken to a new level of social consciousness.

For all of their differences, it is their common ground (UN/HW) that finds DG and TH together.

To create the world that his cherished wife will no longer fear, TH must break out of the shell of status/position. Similarly, DG, in wanting to end his beloved’s fears that the world doesn’t change, would need to become socially if not politically conscious.

At the starting point of each of these men’s own revolutions is UN/HW, or to put it cheesily, love.

The reason TH had been struggling with his ‘bigger mission’ is because he’d fail to realize all along that the revolution must start from within -- the transformation of his mind. Like the topknot that got sliced off, TH’s foundation is being mercilessly trumped now, but without pain, he will never emerge from that shell. He is in shock, but more fundamentally, he loves his wife, and as I’ve said before I would be interested in seeing the path he takes as he defeats his inner conflicts. The plot gets a bit contrived at times, but after ploughing through that conversation, I have a great new appreciation for the writer and his characters, who each have a compelling story to tell about their life journey and what the heck happened to their hair along the way.

Omeona I’m so sorry this is so long!

Thank you for the translation and opinion!

Yes, Un has become the common point for them, their change point...

Now they have to find a way to work together for their loved one...

QUOTE (Jill4675 @ Feb 28 2010, 08:00 PM) Chuno Episode 15

Chuno 15 screen caps here

th_ChunoSHE15100224HDTV450pH264-Ang-2282.jpgth_ChunoSHE15100224HDTV450pH264-Ang-377.jpgth_ChunoSHE15100224HDTV450pH264-Ang-579.jpgth_ChunoSHE15100224HDTV450pH264-Ang-1864.jpg

th_ChunoSHE15100224HDTV450pH264-Ang-1892.jpgth_ChunoSHE15100224HDTV450pH264-Ang-1534.jpgth_ChunoSHE15100224HDTV450pH264-Ang-600.jpgth_ChunoSHE15100224HDTV450pH264-Ang-2261.jpg

th_ChunoSHE15100224HDTV450pH264-Ang-2220.jpgth_ChunoSHE15100224HDTV450pH264-Ang-2074.jpgth_ChunoSHE15100224HDTV450pH264-Ang-1384.jpgth_ChunoSHE15100224HDTV450pH264-Ang-1977.jpg

th_ChunoSHE15100224HDTV450pH264-Ang-644.jpgth_ChunoSHE15100224HDTV450pH264-Ang-1176.jpgth_ChunoSHE15100224HDTV450pH264-Ang-554.jpgth_ChunoSHE15100224HDTV450pH264-Ang-2493.jpg

th_ChunoSHE15100224HDTV450pH264-Ang-1232.jpgth_ChunoSHE15100224HDTV450pH264-Ang-2200.jpgth_ChunoSHE15100224HDTV450pH264-Ang-1249.jpgth_ChunoSHE15100224HDTV450pH264-Ang-724.jpg

th_ChunoSHE15100224HDTV450pH264-Ang-607.jpgth_ChunoSHE15100224HDTV450pH264-Ang-262.jpgth_ChunoSHE15100224HDTV450pH264-Ang-261.jpgth_ChunoSHE15100224HDTV450pH264-Ang-318.jpg

th_ChunoSHE15100224HDTV450pH264-Ang-2379.jpgth_ChunoSHE15100224HDTV450pH264-Ang-2295.jpgth_ChunoSHE15100224HDTV450pH264-Ang-255.jpgth_ChunoSHE15100224HDTV450pH264-Ang-219.jpg

th_ChunoSHE15100224HDTV450pH264-Ang-1084.jpgth_ChunoSHE15100224HDTV450pH264-Ang-2465.jpgth_ChunoSHE15100224HDTV450pH264-Ang-1251.jpgth_ChunoSHE15100224HDTV450pH264-Ang-1665.jpg

th_ChunoSHE15100224HDTV450pH264-Ang-658.jpgth_ChunoSHE15100224HDTV450pH264-Ang-751.jpgth_ChunoSHE15100224HDTV450pH264-Ang-2339.jpgth_ChunoSHE15100224HDTV450pH264-Ang-1869.jpg

th_ChunoSHE15100224HDTV450pH264-Ang-1668.jpgth_ChunoSHE15100224HDTV450pH264-Ang-676.jpgth_ChunoSHE15100224HDTV450pH264-Ang-2173.jpgth_ChunoSHE15100224HDTV450pH264-Ang-257.jpg

Thank you now and forever Jill for your screencaps endless gratitude, they always

make go back and rewatch the episodes T_T

This is becoming more intense...with less and less episodes to go....what am I going to do without DG?? JH?

without absss on wed.thrus??? Ill erase this from my mind until next month....

Just like everyone else I think the level of acting is superb for everyone, each one in their roles give something

to the story that helps us hate, tear, laugh or scream in front of our monitors, tv�s......

thanks for your hard work on translations, recaps, opinions, and everything!!!!! Its such a pleasure to come and

read this thread...its such an enjoyable trip going through this and the drama....all I can say is

MORE MORE MORE CHUNOHOLICS MORE MORE CHUNOFANS MORE MORE!!

Merci. Gracias. Thanks for the translations and the historical/cultural help.  For example, Gen. Song TH as the Confucian model was a BIG help to me.

Loved Thank You and Robbers. Ratings don't really tell the whole story because there was a lot of Internet interest there, esp. from overseas. As for Tazza, I really liked that drama. The main weak point was the female lead. Had it been almost anyone but Han Ye Seul, things might have been different. But anyway, there was a lot of action and a lot of humor in Tazza and JH was very good in his role (and so was Kim Min Joon). rolleyes.gif

I would always take an interest in anything with JH because he always turns in a good performance! wink.gif

Thanks, o-cha, for starting this thread!

sunglasses2.gif

Years later, but still.  After watching Thank You, first, then Chuno, I became a die-hard Jang Hyuk fan and started watching his dramas and movies.  Enjoyed Tazza and agree with you that the female lead was the weak point.  Tazza was VERY similar to All In, except for that "best friend" plot.  Now, Robbers I enjoyed because it brought up so many current issues:  alcohol abuse, domestic violence, homosexuality, betrayal and redemption.  I thought it would be funnier because of the openng scene, which I enjoyed.  As with many dramas though, it went all angst towards the end.  But, then again, there's NO ONE like Jang Hyuk for some good angst.  :crazy:

• 1 month later...
Guest janezio

GMA airs new Korean period drama Chuno

Article | May 5, 2012 - 11:46am

http://www.voxbikol....iod-drama-chuno

Zio-chuno-GMAairsChuno.jpg

After introducing Filipino viewers to the journeys of Queen Seon Deok, Jumong, and Jewel in the Palace, GMA-7 presents Chuno, another enthralling Korean period drama that is set to captivate the hearts of late-night audiences. The show will premiere on May 7, Monday, after I-Witness.

Set during the Joseon Dynasty, Chuno tells of Lee Dae Gil, a noble by birth, who falls in love with one of his family’s slaves, Un Nyun. Displeased by his son’s choice, Dae Gil’s father punishes Un Nyun, which causes her brother to burn down their masters’ house and runs away with her.

Meanwhile, Tae Ha, a former military officer who becomes a slave, is on a mission to find and reinstate the rightful Crown Prince to his position. On his journey, he meets and develops feelings for Un Nyun, and eventually finds himself as a target of Dae Gil, who now lives as an embittered slave hunter dedicated to seeking revenge and finding the woman he loves.

How will Dae Gil move past the difficulties as a slave hunter? Who among Dae Gil and Tae Ha will Un Nyun choose and give her heart to? Can love still heal wounds caused by many years of bitterness and anger?

Filled with both drama and suspense, follow the gripping story of Chuno starring Jang Hyuk, Oh Ji Ho, and Lee Da Hae, beginning May 7 weeknights on GMA-7. (GMA Network)

I love Chuno, for me it's a masterpiece, the best drama I've seen (with The Devil - Mawang). It 'a perfect story: screenplay, direction, photography, actors, music, everything is stunning. The story is wonderful, intense, deep and true, and the cast is very good. I loved expecially Daegil and Taeha, and each episode has given me so many emotions. The ending is perfect, logic, bittersweet, but with hope.

I don't speak english well (I'm Italian), so I want to share a video. I did it without spoiler, so you can see it easily. All my video have no (major) spoiler. Enjoy, and excuse me for my bad english! Val =)

CHUNO (VIDEO MADE BY ME):

Songs: Gloomy (Glomy 30's) + Stigma (Yim Jae Beom).

http://www.youtube.c...vg&feature=plcp

• 4 months later...

My boyfriend made me watch this drama with him and OMFG I loooooooved it!  What a heart breaking story! Where the hell was I when Chuno aired??? Once again, I am disappointed in myself...usually this happens whenever I missed out on a good drama.  
Let me start by praising Jang Hyuk's acting...out of this world.  His expressions have such a huge impact on me...he made me hurt to the core.  He's such a sad sad sad character.  Whenever he comes on screen, my world shatters.  His love for Un-yun is pure...innocent...and so true.  I am still hurt that she didn't even at least say any good words to him.  
LDH...I don't like her, have never liked her...but Chuno has changed my whole perspective of her.  I am slowly turning into a fan.  
General Song Taeha...mm mm mmmmm!  This man is piece of art!!! Everything he does is good in my eyes LOL! I just love him.  

• 1 year later...
Guest LadyAra

class="content-title"Oh Ji Ho Reveals Why Jang Hyuk Used to Wear Diapers During “Chuno”

Oh Ji Ho Reveals Why Jang Hyuk Used to Wear Diapers During “Chuno”

On the latest episode of tvN’s “Taxi” that was aired on August 5, guest Oh Ji Ho revealed that his co-star Jang Hyuk used to wear diapers while filming the award-winning drama “Chuno.”

For this episode, MCs Lee Young Ja and Oh Man Suk took Oh Ji Ho horseback riding. While there, Oh Ji Ho, who already had some experience with horseback riding from his dramas, said that “If the rhythm between the rider and the horse isn’t synchronized, the rider’s butt will keep colliding with the back of the horse. Consequently your butt will hurt from the continuous impact. If you wear diapers, it’s a little softer so it plays the role of a cushion while riding.”

Oh Ji Ho continued his story by revealing that “One day during filming of ‘Chuno,’ Jang Hyuk asked his manager to bring his bag. When he opened his bag I found a bunch of diapers.” This story brought laughter to the audience. [more]

Archived