Won Bin 원빈

~*kYo*~

Guest mimerita

He is such a kind-hearted man, yes me too very touched & impressed - my heart fluttering with emotions. His looks is killing, never seen him better than his natural self. Where can find an all rounder - charitable, talented, famous, handsome, gentle etc etc.

Anticipating to watch his show on 26 April 2009 MBC channel via live or any video uploading.

Sad to observe WB news of his return doesnt get the attention to be in the News Thread since he is doing good on behalf of the Koreans versus public media and news are circulating outside like hot cakes - hope no biasness?

I am very touched too. I am very happy for he is serving a greater cause.

Silverbeam, you mean no news about this in the Soompi News Thread, right? I think the Soompi News Thread is for posting English news from the media in Korea, e.g. Chosun, Korea Times, Korea Herald, KBS Global, etc. These media averagely only report one entertainment news each day :rolleyes: (I think they did a poor job in promoting Korea entertainment). So, actually there are very limited English news on Korea entertainment. For formal translated news from Dramabeans, Hancinema, Hanfever, or other news blogs without adding personal view, I'm not sure if we can post in the News Thread or not.

Anyway, this doesn't matter. Me and some other fans will try our best to translate Won Bin's news into English (even though we don't know Korean) if no formal translation available through any source. I have just finished sourcing and posting Won Bin's Chinese news of these few days (there are quite a lot of news! :sweatingbullets:). Now I'm starting to organize his English news. :D

two bigger pictures

htm_200904151021060107000001070100-003.jpg

htm_200904151021060107000001070100-004.jpg

Source: isplus.joins.com

^exactly! it doesn't matter at all... he's doing it willingly and certainly not for recognition :)

Thanks alot Putrin for that sweet fine pics of WB juz seeing frm the pic itself i can see his compassion and sincerity in helping out at Gambia and the way how he smile to the children in Gambia is breathtakingly SWEET and CHARMING!

he is definitely the PERFECT choice for UNICEF Goodwill Ambassador thumbsup.gif

yes his smiles.... what can i say except it's melting everyone hearts :wub:

can even see the children joyous mood when he's with them :rolleyes:

here i go again like a broken record.... he really looks good ! :sweatingbullets:

this shows that... he used his time wisely after the filming wrap-up.... rested well.... gearing for this visit :)

aigoo, he lifted up his collar.... so stylish :sweatingbullets:

http://cphoto.asiae.co.kr/listimglink/6/20...15269918A_6.jpg

ps @baidu

wb0415a.jpg

Guest silver_beam

mimerita : Actually I am referring to Soompi News Thread which gets updated fairly frequently or whenever there are news :

http://www.soompi.com/forums/index.php?sho...&start=6500

I felt sore that some were irrelevant and some news were repeated few times over the same artiste but where is WB big news?

Is anyone allowed to post news in that section or only meant for the moderators/administrators? I am surprised cos every blogs and many websites are springing with UNICEF news but why was he left out in the cold unless he is unknown then it makes sense? Call me sensitive but this is how I feel! Sorry to offend some ppl, sometimes I jest alot but mean nothing in my heart but I speak my mind out of justice. Hope ppl understand.

Guest mimerita

Don't blame Soompi News Thread, blame the Korea media as they didn't pick the news about Won Bin's UNICEF visit to do the translation. As I said above, those few English media (e.g. Chosun, Yanhap, Korea Times, Korea Herald) only pick one entertainment news to translate each day. Anyway, I will post dramabeans' report in the News Thread later todya. I think it's not a problem 'cos it's a good and detail translation of the Korean news.

Silverbeam, you mean no news about this in the Soompi News Thread, right? I think the Soompi News Thread is for posting English news from the media in Korea, e.g. Chosun, Korea Times, Korea Herald, KBS Global, etc. These media averagely only report one entertainment news each day :rolleyes: (I think they did a poor job in promoting Korea entertainment). So, actually there are very limited English news on Korea entertainment. For formal translated news from Dramabeans, Hancinema, Hanfever, or other news blogs without adding personal view, I'm not sure if we can post in the News Thread or not.

Anyway, this doesn't matter. Me and some other fans will try our best to translate Won Bin's news into English (even though we don't know Korean) if no formal translation available through any source. I have just finished sourcing and posting Won Bin's Chinese news of these few days (there are quite a lot of news! :sweatingbullets:). Now I'm starting to organize his English news. :D

Hi mimerita, you are right that the News thread can and will only post news updates from reliable & confirmed Korean media portals as mentioned which what we'd do, hopefully as the news are out. This is not to say that fan-translated updates posted in private & various Kpop blogs are not reliable but we have to put a line somewhere and abide by it.

Few years ago, we used to post extensive Korean drama updates (translated perfectly by Mr.X) at Twitchfilm but the site being a movie blog, there have been some valid personal comments thrown in that doesn't go well with some the members here when their preferences differ.

It's not just Won Bin, there are a lot of news updates of many actors/actresses/dramas/movies that doesn't get to be posted as well but they are very lucky to have such dedicated fans translating the updates to share at the individual threads from Korean/Japanese/Chinese sources. So, please keep up the good work.

We certainly do not limit the news sharing as long as the criterias are met but it is a pity that only some news get published over and over again. Tell us what we should do.

Korean Dramas & Movies Forum Rules

http://www.soompi.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=116755

12. Do not create new threads to post news.

Post the latest information in the news thread or in the related actors/actresses, dramas, or movies thread. Refrain from asking questions or adding additional comments in the news thread. Only post reliable news: translations by users, blogs, and forums are not considered reliable sources.

mimerita : Actually I am referring to Soompi News Thread which gets updated fairly frequently or whenever there are news :

http://www.soompi.com/forums/index.php?sho...&start=6500

I felt sore that some were irrelevant and some news were repeated few times over the same artiste but where is WB big news?

Is anyone allowed to post news in that section or only meant for the moderators/administrators? I am surprised cos every blogs and many websites are springing with UNICEF news but why was he left out in the cold unless he is unknown then it makes sense? Call me sensitive but this is how I feel! Sorry to offend some ppl, sometimes I jest alot but mean nothing in my heart but I speak my mind out of justice. Hope ppl understand.

Anyone.. any member at the forum can post and share news updates at the News thread provided it comes with a valid active link and not fan translation. This rule apply to all fans, regardless. It is not for the Moderators only to post, the thread is for all. I have been posting news updates since I was still a member.

It's a bit disheartening to read that some news are deemed irrelevant.. because as long as they refer to Korean dramas, tv, movies, the actors and actresses, the updates will be shared. The Moderators are trying very hard to avoid unrelated updates from being posted. Please let us know which updates are irrelevant and we will take action if necessary.

Won Bin is a very well-liked talented actor, his UNICEF news may come out in KBS Global / Korea Times / JoongAng Daily later. Sometimes, some updates take awhile to be published. Fret not, once 'Mother' started its promotion and screening, there will definitely be lots of updates on the movie all over the media. This is the common practise for most movie prior to release. It'll be more intense for WB/Mother especially when it's one of the most anticipated movies of 2009.

Here are some of Won Bin's related updates posted at the News thread over the years. There's no bias to anyone.. at least, not by me.

News Index

http://www.soompi.com/forums/index.php?sho...868&st=5920

Won Bin [index at page 297 / 2009]

Jan 14: Stars and fans descend on southern Seoul cathedral as Yoon weds page 300

Feb 18: Korean films leave their mark in Berlin page 310

March 22: 'Korean Directors Possible Candidates at Cannes' page 317

March 20: Big unknown: Cannes festival contenders page 318

April 13: 'Private Eye' surpasses 1 million ticket mark page 326

Won Bin [index at page 223 / July - December 2008]

July 3: Song Hye-kyo Teams Up with Michelle Yeoh page 248

June 26: Bong Joon-ho "Won Bin is youthful country style"

Aug 20: Won Bin Joins Vuitton, GQ in Charity Project page 257

Sep 4: KBS World, Arirang TV connect Korea to world audiences page 263

» Most Popular Stars Of 2nd Half Of 2008 page 267

Oct 16: Actor Won Bin's Parents' House Wins 2008 Korean Architecture Award page 276

Oct 17: Two Korean hit dramas will be produced as films page 277

Oct 20: Fashion Critical for Upgrading Korea's Image

Nov 5: 'Mother' goes to Japan's Bitters End page 282

Nov 12: CJ Entertainment sells Mother to France, Thirst to UK page 284

Nov 12: CJ Presales Thirst and Mother at AFM

Nov 28: Korean TV experience hall - Four Seasons House page 290

Dec 23: Won Bin Warms Children With Gifts This Festive Season page 295

Dec 30: What's on Cultural Horizon in 2009? page 296

Won Bin [index at page 195 / January - June 2008]

Jan 3: Farewell to (Bear) Arms page 196

Jan 8: Male Stars Go to the Military This Year page 198

Jan 23: Won Bin, returns as men's formal wear model page 203

Feb 11: Forever youthful looks among the Korean entertainers page 210

March 3: Japanese choose 10 best Hanryu dramas page 216

March 4: THE HIGH TIDE OF THE KOREAN WAVE(18) Pop culture bridges Korea and Singapore page 218

March 18: THE HIGH TIDE OF THE KOREAN WAVE(24) Producer believes in power of good storytelling page 223

Apr 7: Actress Kim to Star in Bong’s Film page 225

Apr 8: Won and Kim to head Bong's "Mother"

Apr 14: Nintendo Launches Action-Packed Wii in Korea page 226

Most Popular Stars of the 1st half of 2008 page 227

May 1: 2008 MovieWeek's Annual '25 Beautiful Faces' page 231

May 1: Ha Jeong-woo-Kim Hye-soo, 1st for this year's 'wonderful face' page 234

May 1: Look gentle but are they really taekwondo black belt holders?

May 18: Korean Dramas to Hit Middle East page 235

Maybe a few more from the 2005 / 2006 / 2007 index not included here.

Guest mimerita

Thank you rubie to clarify our queries. Wow the News Index is very useful! Thank you for showing us how to use the index.

I understand that it's not allowed to post translated news of personal blog such as Dramabeans and Hanfever.

Silverbeam, the report at Dramabeans blog as posted by mzpakipot about Won Bin's visit to Gambia is a detail translation from Korean news. So, actually we have already got to know what the Korean news said. No need to feel bored for no English news from Korea English media.

Thanks rubie for the news index, really helpful for all of us :D . hope you are doing fine dear.

Welcome back with a big bang all refreshed from a long deserved holdiay?

Cant wait to see WB on TV, the last was Autumn days as reported - wow almost 10 years ago.

hehe, yeah, back from a long hols :D .

And those pix of him melt my heart, Kyo dearest, what are you waiting for? Just grap this golden chance dear haha.

Guest silver_beam

rubie & mimerita : My humble apologies for being an ignorant guy, your clarifications have awoken me on how things work over Soompi. Is rubie an administrator of this website? Didnt mean to offend you cos I really didnt know, in future shall refrain from penning down too much of my thoughts thus upsetting some people in several threads, bound to happen somehow somewhere sometimes. Sorry again will try my best to keep away.

Thank you rubie to clarify our queries. Wow the News Index is very useful! Thank you for showing us how to use the index.

I understand that it's not allowed to post translated news of personal blog such as Dramabeans and Hanfever.

Silverbeam, the report at Dramabeans blog as posted by mzpakipot about Won Bin's visit to Gambia is a detail translation from Korean news. So, actually we have already got to know what the Korean news said. No need to feel bored for no English news from Korea English media.

It's no problem at all, hope to ease a bit of the confusion and disappointment.

I'm also a fan and have been in similar situation elsewhere, with similar feelings before but at times.. there's just so much we can do.

rubie & mimerita : My humble apologies for being an ignorant guy, your clarifications have awoken me on how things work over Soompi. Is rubie an administrator of this website? Didnt mean to offend you cos I really didnt know, in future shall refrain from penning down too much of my thoughts thus upsetting some people in several threads, bound to happen somehow somewhere sometimes. Sorry again will try my best to keep away.

It's really no problem at all, silver_beam. I'm not an administrator, just someone to help out.. for anyone and everyone. I started joining soompi as a member and still am, till today.

And as I've said before.. I'm a fan as well (though sometimes, too much of a fan to be exact).. but just like everyone else. Somehow.. people tend to take it all the wrong way.

It's no problem with sharing our thoughts.. if we could help clarify the situation and clear the air.. why not?

Kim-hunnie, I'm fine.. hope to see you posting more, as always.

I suppose I'm the one who should be posting less.. lest everyone in the forum feels awkward.

Everyone, please continue posting and keep sharing as always. ^^

Guest Janie Simply

I squealed with delight looking at WB's out of Africa pictures, thanks! He looks youthful, cheerful & playful with the kids, what great brotherly love :)

Here are some of Won Bin's related updates posted at the News thread over the years. There's no bias to anyone.. at least, not by me.

Maybe a few more from the 2005 / 2006 / 2007 index not included here.

1_3527ing.gif

Aneyohaseyo, wah didn't know rubie-binnie is also my avid fan :rolleyes:

Guest silver_beam

Won Bin, completed the first film upcoming release of "Mother,", and next as the United Nations Children's Fund Goodwill Ambassador.

He is like an avalanche earlier this month, taking advantage of the publicity that has not yet commenced, the Special out of time on the 10th went to Africa Gambia to visit the local living in slums and hospitals of children enrolled in the United Nations, the construction of the primary and secondary school students to chat, share a beautiful warm afternoon.

In 2007 he was invited to serve as United Nations Children's Fund Goodwill Ambassador, and Won Bin often participated in the activities to raise funds to assist the Council, the rare opportunity to Africa, is personally involved in charitable work of the United Nations, he frankly admitted that he benefit from this and said : "I thank the United Nations to provide a good opportunity to visit, let me know what can be done, and then to pass on the message to open."

Sina.com.hk

http://news.sina.com.hk/cgi-bin/nw/show.cg.../1102963/1.html

Guest silver_beam

Won Bin, meeting the public as an actor after four years

Won Bin will attend to launch "Mother" on June 27 at 11 am at Seoul CGV ApgujungDon (Produced Barunson) to reveal the production.

Since 2006 South Korea's military, the star as he participated in various events, but as the public and meet the actors so far in a half year's had only 4.

Won Bin in the October 2004 film 'My Brother' is the end of 2006 uigasa discharge from military service was join the army.

Won Bin in the drama film Kimhyeja mother, along with director Bong Joon Ho yeonchulja met with reporters from the event will be held.

'Mother' a Won Bin in 3 years after discharge from the military to return to work screen.

Middle of the show with actors gimhyeja 'Memories of Murder', 'monster' of a new director of director Bong Joon Ho's jeomeseodo said.

'Mother' as the killer of a desperate mother, son, fighting to save his film.

"Mother" will be released May 28.

Sports Donga

http://www.donga.com/fbin/output?f=j__&amp...160275&df=7

====================================

More news on launching Mother but date is different 27 July??

http://translate.google.com.sg/translate?u...en&ie=UTF-8

Guest silver_beam

Won Bin, 'Africa guardian angel'

Watching a child actor Won Bin is nice and warm eyes. Won Bin in the 4-13 as the United Nations Children's Fund special representative for UNICEF in the Gambia Africa relief went to the scene.

Won Bin's activities in the Gambia 24 days 10:50 p.m. MBC current affairs program 4. Feature can be seen on the air four years.

http://translate.google.com.sg/translate?u...en&ie=UTF-8

WONBIN SPREADS LOVE IN AFRICA

wonbin-0415-5-small.jpg

As UNICEF ambassador, Won Bin recently flew to a small village in the African nation of Gambia for a week to volunteer his services. The puppy-eyed star dispensed vitamin A and helped to set up mosquito netting for the villagers.

The 32 year old star told reporters that he was happy to have to opportunity to help make a difference.

Not only is he smexy but also kind. What a combination!

wonbin-0415-3-thumb.jpg

wonbin-0415-4-thumb.jpg

Source : popseoul

Guest mimerita

rubie & mimerita : My humble apologies for being an ignorant guy, your clarifications have awoken me on how things work over Soompi...

Like rubie said, it's no problem at all, silverbeam. Let's continue chatting and sharing latest updates of our star. :D

p.s. rubie is such a nice and helpful Mod.^^

Thanks willenette and silverbeam for sharing the news too.^^

Guest mimerita

Read this news at Mother thread. Thanks rubie to share this happy news.

April 16, 2009

Cannes taps heavy hitters

Top international filmmakers onboard for fest

By TODD MCCARTHY

The upcoming Cannes Film Festival will be swimming in top international filmmakers, as directors including Ang Lee, Jane Campion, Michael Haneke, Quentin Tarantino, Ken Loach, Pedro Almodovar, Bong Joon-ho, Marco Bellocchio, Lars von Trier and Johnnie To expect to square off for the Palme d'Or come May 13.

With one week to go before the April 23 announcement of the Official Selection, fest director Thierry Fremaux and his selection committee still have numerous films to watch, so this weekend will tell the tale as far as several titles are concerned. Unlike his predecessor Gilles Jacob, who tended to accept or reject films as he saw them over a period of months, Fremaux prefers to keep his options open to a certain extent until he's seen everything, leaving anxious filmmakers, distribs and sales companies in the dark until the final bell.

All the same, the lineup for the competition has come into focus in recent days, creating an image of a fest that will be heavy on Asian and Euro titles, light on films from Central and South America, Africa and the Middle East and iffy where Hollywood is concerned.

Tarantino's WWII saga "Inglourious Basterds," toplining Brad Pitt, was locked in a couple of weeks ago, but fest toppers only saw Lee's "Taking Woodstock," set during the fabled 1969 music event, this week and extended an immediate invitation to the Focus Features release. Liev Schreiber, Jeffrey Dean Morgan and Emile Hirsch head the cast.

Word is that Francis Ford Coppola's Argentine family drama "Tetro," with Vincent Gallo, will be viewed imminently by the committee, and that Werner Herzog's "Bad Lieutenant" makeover, starring Nicolas Cage, is jockeying for a special screening or midnight slot. An almost certain midnight attraction will be Sam Raimi's horror-thriller "Drag Me to Hell," a Universal release toplining Justin Long and Alison Lohman that was very well received in incomplete form at the recent SXSW Film Festival.

Less confirmed word has it that Terry Gilliam's "The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus," featuring Heath Ledger's final performance in a role that, after his death, came to be shared with Johnny Depp, Colin Farrell and Jude Law, may make its debut in Cannes. Fest announced early on that Pete Docter's animated Pixar feature "Up" will open the fest, which runs through May 24.

Other English-language fare will include Campion's U.K. production "Bright Star," a drama about the romance of 19th-century poet John Keats and Fanny Brawne, starring Ben Wishaw and Abbie Cornish; Cannes regular von Trier's "Antichrist," a horror drama with Willem Dafoe and Charlotte Gainsbourg as a couple who retreat to a secluded forest cabin after the death of their son; Loach's "Looking for Eric," about a troubled adolescent soccer fan who's counseled by former star Eric Cantona; prolific helmer To's French-financed "Vengeance," starring Johnny Hallyday as a hitman-turned-chef who heads to Hong Kong to avenge his daughter's death; and possibly English director Andrea Arnold's "Fish Tank," toplining Michael Fassbender in a tale of a 15-year-old whose life is turned upside down by her mother's new boyfriend. Pic looks to be in the Official Selection, although in which category remains uncertain.

Haneke's German entry, "The White Ribbon," examines incipient fascism at a rural school in 1913; like Coppola's film, it was shot in black-and-white. Almodovar's "Broken Embraces," which has already opened in Spain, is a multistrand melodrama starring Penelope Cruz, and vet Italian master Bellocchio's "Vincere" stars Giovanna Mezzogiorno and Filippo Timi in a study of Mussolini's secret lover and the couple's son Albino.

South Korea and China will be heavily represented this year. From the former come "The Host" director Bong's "Mother," a thriller about a woman's attempt to determine who framed her antisocial son for a ghastly murder, and "Oldboy" helmer Park Chan-wook's "Thirst," a vampire tale about a small-town priest transformed into a neck-biter by a medical experiment gone wrong.

Flying the Chinese flag will be "Summer Palace" director Lou Ye's "Spring Fever," about a young threesome overcome with erotic longings, and possibly Lu Chuan's "City of Life and Death" (aka "Nanking! Nanking!"), a large-scale telling of the 1937 massacre of Nanking by the Japanese army.

Also very likely for the competition are Malaysian auteur Tsai Ming-liang's French-financed "Face," about a Taiwanese director arrived in Paris to make a film about Salome, starring Mathieu Amalric, Jeanne Moreau, Fanny Ardant, Nathalie Baye, Laetitia Casta and Jean-Pierre Leaud; and Japanese fest regular Hirokazu Kore-eda's "Air Doll," about the love affair between a videostore clerk and an inflatable sex doll.

Two other possibilities are Palestinian filmmaker Elia Suleiman's first feature since 2002, "The Time That Remains," the story of a Palestinian family from the '40s to the present day, and Belgian director Jaco von Dormael's time-jumping fantasy "Mr. Nobody," with Diane Kruger and Jared Leto.

The final selection of French titles is regularly made at the very last minute, but the titles nearest the front of the line are Alain Resnais' "Les Herbes folles," Jacques Audiard's "A Prophet," Bruno Dumont's "Hadewijch," Xavier Giannoli's "In the Beginning," Robert Guediguian's "The Army of Crime" and Catherine Corsini's "Leaving."

Prominent in the Un Certain Regard sidebar will be two Romanian features: "Police, Adjective," directed by Corneliu Porumboiu ("12:08: East of Bucharest"), and "Tales From the Golden Age," an omnibus film produced by Palme laureate Cristian Mungiu ("4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days"), with two episodes directed by him and others helmed by proteges.

(Derek Elley, Pamela McClintock, Jay Weissberg and Ali Jaafar contributed to this report.)

Source: Variety.com

*** I’m not surprised for the 3-actors & RAIN to be included in the list. Congratulations to them! (How come my other man isn’t here?) :lol::mellow:

THAILAND’S KOREAN SURVEY RESULTS

The Korean-Thai Chamber of Commerce (KTCC) conducted four rounds of surveys between 2/27-3/26 asking 489 Thais who their favorite Korean actor, actress ,and singer were. In the end, Thailand picked Bae Yong Jun, Song Hye Gyo, and WG as their favorite Korean celebrities. Full results below:

Favorite Korean Actor:

1st - Bae Yong Jun (22.8%)

2nd - Won Bin (18.8%)

3rd - Kim Rae Won (13.3%)

Favorite Korean Actress:

1st - Song Hye Gyo (21.75%)

2nd - Yoon Eun Hye (20.4%)

3rd - Lee Da Hae (20%)

Favorite Korean Singer:

1st - Wonder Girls (out of the 371 ppl asked, 64 picked WG)

2nd - Bi/"The Rain" (61 votes)

3rd - Super Junior (56 votes)

4th - Big Bang (49 votes)

5th - DBSK (48 votes)

source: My Daily

translated by: wonderkid @ wgspectacle