Sd & Sdhc

Guest kevykevvv

Guest kevykevvv
which one and what's the difference?
Hi, I'm new to using DSLRs and was wondering if anyone could tell me the difference between an SD card and an SDHC and which one should I get? I have a canon rebel xs so it's compatible with both. Thanks for any help!

SDHC was a new standard that isn't backwards compatible with SD so there were a lot of old sd card readers and things that couldn't use it. So it is only a concern if you had older equipment.

It stands for secure digital high capacity, so its just a revised version of the SD card. So if you get a card smaller than 2gb, then it will be a SD. If its bigger then that, it will be a SDHC card.

Another thing to note is the speed, some of them have classes on it. I don't know what speed your camera needs, but class 6 is the highest and will be the fastest. They also have like 133x cards which is just another naming convention but I don't know the equivalence. If you have a slow card you will end up watching the light blink for a while and it just gets really annoying.

Guest kevykevvv

Thanks a lot awdark, and also, when you were talking about the speed of the card, I was also reading on articles from google about people saying that there can be problems if your camera can't handle the speed. Is that something I have to worry about?

No issues about a card being "too fast" at most you just end up paying more for speed you dont need. Like for example a class 6 card can write at 6mb/s but if your camera can at most write data at 3mb/s then it will just write at 3mb/s.

I don't know what you need. I don't know what I need for my Canon XT.. I just get 133x cards and I don't slow down so im happy :)

Archived