Epik High (에픽하이) Official Thread [#2023]

YongZura⁷

Guest tvxqbuzz7921

i just heard that they won their first ever number one spot on the new mbc music program music core with "fly"....^^ i'm happy for them....

Guest KillerTofu

Let it Rain is an awesome song, love that the lead singer of Nell is in it. Whole album is good, favorite album of this year (korea). Gotta wait for Nell's supposed release though.

They actually won on the new Music Core show this week ! Congrats to them ! :D:D:D:D

(take a look at Tablo :lol: )

051029musiccoreepikhighflyawar1.jpg

picture credit to urbandecay from z-degrees.net/forums

I bought their album yesterday...I love #11 - let it rain

i really like that song too.... at first i was like... ITS HELLA FUNKY but i like that.... kinda whinny part.. ahha it grows on you

I was never into Epik High before and I still haven't heard their first OR second album.

But, after watching their performance of "Fly" on Music Core, I really got into them.

I just listened to the second album.

Some things I noticed:

- I think I heard the words, "Epik High" at least once in EVERY track! :lol: They must really want everyone to know their group's name.

- A LOT of the songs are sung primarily in English.

2. yesterday - english chorus + tablo's whole verse in english

3. lesson 3 - tablo's whole english intro + english chorus

4. fly - a little english

5. funkdamental - all english intermission

6. We don't know them (gue nyuh neun molah) - a little

7. ride - a little

8. this star.. (ee byul..) - a little

9. the epikurean - all korean intermission

10. paris - a little

11. let it rain - a little

12. 도시가 눈을 감지 않는 이유 - the entire second half of the song is english

13. follow the flow - the entire song is english

14. swan song - a little

15. goodbye outro - no words

16. elements - most of it is in english

I'm not saying that no other Korean artists sing in English, but Epik High seems to do it A LOT.

It just makes me think, whether these guys are artists in Korea because they can't be successful in the States.

There audience IS Korean-speaking and I really doubt the Korean fans would understand the meaning of "Follow the Flow".

I still love their songs, especially tracks 4, 6, 10, and 14.

:lol: Surprisingly, they're the tracks with little English spoken!

Guest SeeKateRun

tablo is most probalby one of the most eloquent stars out to date. i was checking out his cyworld..the man appreicated roman polanski as well as Jean-Luc Godard. For film studies majors and actors and actress alike, this is a BIG deal. the dudes..got a lot going on upstairs. i like that. it reflects in his lyrics as well.

creative writing at standford. amazing, really.

i would love to sit down for a cup of coffee with him and just converseconverseconverse.

Guest NanaMun

tablo is most probalby one of the most eloquent stars out to date. i was checking out his cyworld..the man appreicated roman polanski as well as Jean-Luc Godard. For film studies majors and actors and actress alike, this is a BIG deal. the dudes..got a lot going on upstairs. i like that. it reflects in his lyrics as well.

i would love to sit down for a cup of coffee with him and just converseconverseconverse.

ditto..I would love to see what's going on in his brain..considering how I'm thinking of majoring in English..it would be nice to see what he says about it

• 2 weeks later...

i totally agree. not only he is adorable & talented he is very intelligent. that's what i love about him. i especially love the song Lesson One from the first cd. when i read the lyrics i was just blown away. i would just love to listen to him talk about anything and everything.

i just bought two of epik high's cds. i'm planning on to buy the 2nd cd later. amidst the sea of goodlooking so-so singers/rappers these three guys are very talented guys . epik high truly needed to be recognized (and i'm so happy they are), and so do many other underground musicians.

Epik High has won on all the episodes of Music Core so far. ^_^

(Err.. not sure about today's episode, haven't watched it yet)

Let It Rain is my favorite song on their 3rd album. I listen to it alll the time now.

I'm not saying that no other Korean artists sing in English, but Epik High seems to do it A LOT.

It just makes me think, whether these guys are artists in Korea because they can't be successful in the States.

There audience IS Korean-speaking and I really doubt the Korean fans would understand the meaning of "Follow the Flow".

They couldn't even make a break in Korea without going the pop route. Their first album and all their "underground" crap was a flop because they kept plagarizing from people like Jurassic 5, the Roots, De la Soul, and Dilated Peoples. In fact, they STILL plagarize many of their lyrics/fx (eg. Here's a little story that must be told mu- must be told mu- must be told, "hip hop activist and media assassin" (rofl I thought this was the most original tagline ever before I listened to Dilated Peoples again.), many of their beats, etc.) The only reason they're doing so well nowadays is because they are "accessible", "fun", "happy" rap -- in a time when Korea wants to be as much like America as possible. Too bad they gave up reason, a postition in media politics, and a fan base that actually appreciates rap.

They don't sell music/art anymore. They sell product.

The sad part is. People on this board don't know any better, they try to grab any "Korean rap" out there in order to either "represent their country" (as a bunch of whiny voiced idiots who can't create their own lyrics?) or "look tough" (no comment).

And what the hell is all this crap about Tablo being smart because he went to Stanford? I have plently of relatives, friends, aquaintances at Columbia, Stanford, Cornell, Brandeis, Carnegie Mellon, Northwestern, Washington U., etc. who are half as smart (but four times as rich) as people who attend lower ranked schools like UCI, UCD, U Washington, Colorado U. And besides, PEOPLE! HE RAPS AGAINST THE "rich kid going to an ivy league school off his parent's cash flow" AND THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT HE IS!! GOD! Sorry, I just had to get that off my chest. He's a rich kid, hypocrite, plagarizer.

Guest Olivia*sSlave*

oh well

they're succesful with 120,000+ sales

twice as much as their second and first put together

even though the pop route is being taken their still are some notable tracks

oh well

they're succesful with 120,000+ sales

twice as much as their second and first put together

even though the pop route is being taken their still are some notable tracks

Those sales figures only show that the Korean public is ignorant of rap and easily persuaded into thinking that Epik High is a rap group. My cousin who lived in Seoul thought Epik High was the definitive rap group until he came to America for the summer where rap, even if it is mainstream teen-appeasing crap, is everywhere. I'm glad that he learned hip hop's range, but I still feel sorry for people who haven't had the kind of exposure he did.

Those sales figures only show that the Korean public is ignorant of rap and easily persuaded into thinking that Epik High is a rap group. My cousin who lived in Seoul thought Epik High was the definitive rap group until he came to America for the summer where rap, even if it is mainstream teen-appeasing crap, is everywhere. I'm glad that he learned hip hop's range, but I still feel sorry for people who haven't had the kind of exposure he did.

^ And you know what? That's the beauty of the Korean Music scene, the general population hasn't been hit with the 'superiority flu'- there's no one to go, 'hey, this is crap', 'what a plagarizing bunch of idiots", "what a bunch of wannabes" - they buy the album because they enjoy the music, they enjoy listening and it makes them happy, so they think Epik High is THE hip hop/rap group...well it is rap and hip hop in the Korean sense. Unfortunately, there are signs of the 'flu' coming along...

And to some those 'underground' hip hop communities that are supporting the 'movement' and then flaming Epik High....well news for you...the 'movement' is never going to happen....since everyone seems to be so in love with the idea of being 'underground', if any group so much as becomes 'popular' they are 'mainstream teen appeasing' WHICH is really true...you're not going to catch your parents listening to rap, now are you ;) Which is why I say the 'the movement' may never happen if everyone involved in movement keeps this kind of attitude (ie. everyone else are idiots when it comes to REAL hip hop)...the majority of the market are teens (after all for those of us that aren't teens anymore, we have become cheap and financally burden :mellow: ) ...if hiphop is ever to jump out of the underground category...it IS going the start with the teens...that's what I'm thinking anyways...

And sorry if I'm wrong, but did you post in the thread with the intention of 'hurting' on Epik High? Because it seems like it. Sorry if I'm being biased, mean, blind, annoying etc, but this IS A EPIK HIGH THREAD - I doubt you're changing anyone's mind... all you're going to get is either a reply similar to mine (we are fans, and we are defensive... so sue us) or someone agreeing with you because they have motives similar to yours. And believe it or not, the rest of us clicked on this thread because we LIKE Epik High...and if we made a shrine and prayed to them...it really doesn't concern you...

And another thing, I'm sure some us on this board do live in the Americas or has lived there.... and some of us are aware of Epik High is not THE hiphop group, but we still love them for lots of reasons. To like music just for music without looking at the musicians themselves seems rather cold....

"rich kid going to an ivy league school off his parent's cash flow" AND THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT HE IS!! GOD! Sorry, I just had to get that off my chest. He's a rich kid, hypocrite, plagarizer.

^ And this, I don't know Tablo personally and I don't think you do either.... I think Tablo is refering to a 'freeloader' kind of son, and we aren't people who can judge if he is. I have a friend who's parents are paying all her living expenses and tuition for her to go to Yale. BUT she paid part of the tuition through a scholarship, and she spends to 3am everyday helping out at her parent's restaurant doing preparations before she shipped off to Yale.... and I never knew because she seemed so bright, care-free and happy all the time, until I stayed with her for a summer...

Sorry about the long post...

Guest miranduh

they buy the album because they enjoy the music, they enjoy listening and it makes them happy,

so very true. i enjoy listening to epik high's songs because they make me happy x]

who cares if they 'plagiarized' everyone does it nowadays they just call it a remake or whatever alot of people do it and only the really educated in music would know; some of the pop songs i hear on tv i would have thought the artist i heard it from was the original until someone else told me it was a copied song..well la-dee-da. i don't care it still sounds great no matter who sang it.. and yeah im soooo sorry i didn't get exposure to what your cousin got; and im sorry epik high displeases you but they don't for me because i still think their style/beats are great and a band can't be underground forever