Epik High (에픽하이) Official Thread [#2023]

YongZura⁷

Those sales figures only show that the Korean public is ignorant of rap and easily persuaded into thinking that Epik High is a rap group. My cousin who lived in Seoul thought Epik High was the definitive rap group until he came to America for the summer where rap, even if it is mainstream teen-appeasing crap, is everywhere. I'm glad that he learned hip hop's range, but I still feel sorry for people who haven't had the kind of exposure he did.

hip hops range? i like epik high because they actually have something to say besides screwing around with your sisters friends mothers neice or about how "gangster" you are. most of their songs dont involve the f word every other line and rather give hope to many of the downhearted. does being a rap group mean u have to be depressed and angry all the time? and i agree with crystalis, the movement is never gonna work if they label groups as "teenyboppers" as soon as they get a little attention. he made it with talent and effort. stanford is a top notch school and u can't "fake" being intelligent in creative writing...it requires u to write your ideas effectively. it seems to me like your just jealous that this "rich kid" and "plagiarizer" is now famous when you're not. GET OVER IT.

So, basically the above posters -- especially the latter -- are exclaiming that stolen lyrics are just as good as those which has been thoughtfully composed and presented.

Pretty hypocritical of you d2star, especially considering that your sig says "don't steal my work! don't even use and credit me without my consent". Now, knowing this. Let me ask this. Is it right for Epik High to steal beats, rhymes, and even your acclaimed "style" without giving credit where it's due?

51803, did you read crystalis' post? He said that the movement will never succeed. Who told you to listen to mucisians who rap about "screwing around with your sisters friends mothers neice or about how "gangster" you are. most of their songs dont involve the f word every other line and rather give hope to many of the downhearted"? Have you read MY most? Obviously, you haven't read either my nor crystalis' post, so why bother posting your own opinion on matter which you don't have knowledge of?

Actually, you're a good example. Do you people see what kind of audience Epik High recieves when they go the teen route? Where in 51803's post do you see a glimpse of insight? Is there ANY intelligence to what he/she is posting?

And finally, crystalis. You're saying that Epik High has to "make it" somehow. Why? They need fancy cars and houses to make music? They need screaming teens to chase after them in order to make music? Why? Rather than forfeiting their creativity for the mainstream, don't you think it would be more beneficial for them to rap about things that are truly pertinent to life, rather than the subject matter of half of their songs ("I'm in the club and I see the girl dancing, and I say whoa" is the basic schematic)?

So, basically the above posters -- especially the latter -- are exclaiming that stolen lyrics are just as good as those which has been thoughtfully composed and presented.

Pretty hypocritical of you d2star, especially considering that your sig says "don't steal my work! don't even use and credit me without my consent". Now, knowing this. Let me ask this. Is it right for Epik High to steal beats, rhymes, and even your acclaimed "style" without giving credit where it's due?

51803, did you read crystalis' post? He said that the movement will never succeed. Who told you to listen to mucisians who rap about "screwing around with your sisters friends mothers neice or about how "gangster" you are. most of their songs dont involve the f word every other line and rather give hope to many of the downhearted"? Have you read MY most? Obviously, you haven't read either my nor crystalis' post, so why bother posting your own opinion on matter which you don't have knowledge of?

Actually, you're a good example. Do you people see what kind of audience Epik High recieves when they go the teen route? Where in 51803's post do you see a glimpse of insight? Is there ANY intelligence to what he/she is posting?

And finally, crystalis. You're saying that Epik High has to "make it" somehow. Why? They need fancy cars and houses to make music? They need screaming teens to chase after them in order to make music? Why? Rather than forfeiting their creativity for the mainstream, don't you think it would be more beneficial for them to rap about things that are truly pertinent to life, rather than the subject matter of half of their songs ("I'm in the club and I see the girl dancing, and I say whoa" is the basic schematic)?

clap9ee.gif

You are not alone in your thoughts.

That's hilarious that d2star says plagiarizing doesn't matter yet tells everyone else not to steal her work! :lol:

Even though I do enjoy some songs from their latest album, it doesn't make me a complete fan of them.

This just furthers my belief that Tablo gave it all up in the States because he knew he could only make it in Korea.

Whoa, I see a debate is going on here. Hopefully it won't get nasty. Remember no bashing.

Everyone does have a good point. Did they really plagiarize? I wouldn't really know because I'm not an avid Korean Hip Hop fan. If so, of course it is wrong.

I do like Epik High though. I like some of their songs. Not all, but some.

The reason I listen to music is the lyrics. If I can relate than I most likely I will like the song. Epik High's song do make me happy. And I like feeling happy. :P They might not be the best hip hop group out there, but I do think they are good. As long as I enjoy their music I will be a fan.

I do agree about this. No, they do not need the fancy cars and houses to make music. Wouldn't it be nice if artists made music to voice out their insights on life? But I doubt that will happen any time soon...heck it won't happen at all.

He's a rich kid, hypocrite, plagarizer.

I don't think this was necessary. I don't think any of us know Tablo personally, and we really can't judge him. But of course, if he is plagarizing then something has to be done.

I would have liked to see Tablo try to make it here in the U.S. But most Koreans would rather go to Korea and give it try thinking it is easier to get famous. -_-

Guest miranduh

okay yeah totally funny for Hypocrisy

anyway i haven't listened to the songs that epik high copied from but im just saying that in the music industry, can't it be considered a cover song? i know in american music it happens all the time and usually people don't know about it anyway until a musically educated person informs them; yeah so what im not musically educated, then you come and insult epik high and their listeners because they copied someone elses work.. we're only here to appreciate the music and we only know the song through the group so wouldn't the thinking process be good song = become a fan of the group; was it like epik high stole beats and stuff and then went around saying I PRODUCED THE BEAT? well then if it was the case and the beats/rhymes had copyrighted EPIK HIGH all over them then i get your point; but nowadays artists always take each other beats, twerk them a little and call it their own and underground..mainstream; society is very money orientated now. so it may seem wrong but usually people are out there for money.

and one point i didn't state plagiarism doesn't matter; im implying that what epik high did could have been considered cover songs? but whatever you're all 'genuises and right' while anyone else can't see the light

read ure post? did u read mine? i was referring to the "hip hops range" u spoke of in america which DOES have the f word or other cuss words as well as MANY sexual references. the hip hop range you consider of as real "hip hop". and as for intelligence, i dont think you know me enough to know my level of intelligence and what i can and cannot think of.

epik high doesnt need to "make it" but if their music is genuinely good, won't people notice them? thus wouldn't they "make it"? if their music sucked then people obviously wouldnt like it. ok so u say, their music is only "good" to me because they're making their music more mainstream. if being "undergound" and truly "hip hop" means that i have to listen to cussing and anger then ok, im mainstream. but perhap epik high doesn't want to focus ONLY on the bad things of life~ PERHAPS they would like to use their music and creativity to give hope~ honestly i've listened to some other artists of the movement, and some are very vulgar, not particularly "pertinent" to life. and do u always speak of the more "pertinent" things to life? u never talk about basketball or football or soccer, or a new movie or new game? just because someone has a lot of insight doesnt mean they HAVE to ALWAYS show that~ they're allowed to take a break once in a while. and which of their songs have to do with a girl dancing in the club?

as for the plagiarism thing, you're probably right~ i honestly don't know enough hip hop history to judge on that matter, but epik high always had a bit of old flavor in them so maybe they were just influenced by them. anyhow i honestly have no experience or knowledge to comment on that~ afterall im just a "teenybopper" right? ;)

^ First of all I'm a 'she', not a 'he', thank you :lol: lolz

I agree about what you said about not making fancy cars, etc to make music. AND no I am not contradicting myself. I do not recall making any reference to saying that you need to become rich to make music...in fact you can dig yourself a hole in the ground and make as music as you want, provided you have the physical essentials...and no on would care.

Which is exactly my point, "no one would care." It's kind of like the age old "If a tree fell in a forest, and no one was there to hear it, did really it make a sound?" Okay, what you're thinking next would be, there's people in the underground.

Which brings around the point of my previous post, which you seemed to have missed entirely ;) (I could be wrong, but by your comments it seems that way) : What's the point of the 'movement' if it's good enough that a minority of people are going to appreciate it? In a more global aspect, this minority of people closing off and making no compromise to the potential large audience, really is no different then digging that hole I mentioned. I believe there's a word for this, 'pretentious' and a little 'bohemian'? Like I said, if this keeps up, the success of the movement in the near future is extremely doubtful.

No, Epik High doesn't 'teenyboppers to chase after them' to make music, but they do need to them to spread the music. Or they could always did that hole and be creative :) As much as you'd probably hate to admit, but if anything spreads, it's going to be through the teens, teens with enough love, passion and curiosity of look in on the music scene. If you want to affect people with your music, you have to first go to the people, but if you decide to snide the people with the greatest potential of even touching hiphop...it all becomes a huge oxymoron.

I highly doubt musicians write music for themselves. Turning mainstream has 'nothing' to do with 'forfeiting creativity'... since Epik High is so well accepted, it's actually a sign that 'mainstream' scene has changed over the years- so luckily some underground hip-hop artists decided to jump out of that hole and do something for the 'movement'. After all, mainstream is really just our concept of what is accepted by the general public.

And about plagiarism....this has always been a gray area....it really depends on what we accept as plagiarism. Of course all plagiarism is to be shamed on- I actually had to take a required course on this topic at school ;) I guess it must be getting bad... I will say though, Epik High is still in their youth as group of artists, and they have to start somewhere. I can't remember who said it at the moment but he as he put, "Creativity is a long list of modifications", and I have to agree. Take Japan for instance, and I know this is not related to music, but I think it's a helpful analogy. Everyone wants a Japanese car, because it has 'this' and 'that'. Did they come up with it themselves or was it Mercedes who's wife was the first person to travel by an automobile? Do we call the Japanese scientists and engineers plagiarizers? I'd hardly think so...

My point is that everyone needs to start somewhere, especially a group as young as EPIK. I do not see them blatantly copying and saying it's their work. Also, on a octatonic scale, not that I'm saying it's the only interval level used, but it seems the most common, there are only eight notes, and only three octaves most artists can range, and this all governed by a set of rules, disregarded at the risk of dissonance- not a good thing in hip hop I'm guessing. It is no surprised that tunes are recycled- not that it is a good thing, but a necessary thing for the music to develop. And since, hip-hop IS a genre of music....there is bound to be some flavor in it (i.e. beat rhythm), it would be strange if a hip-hop artist wrote a sonata and called it creativity in hip-hop because it's new to the scene (of course, I'm exaggerating here, but I am also emphasizing).

And about things pertinent to life...what is it exactly? For me, my familiy may be my whole life, and I'll never see anything else, while another's may be filled with abuse and belittlement. It totally depends on the thoughts of the MC. And perhaps I joke on this but on your example, "I'm in the club and I see the girl dancing, and I say whoa". Did you know in an ecological sense, the purpose of our existence on this planet is to mate, you eat, you sleep, you work...it all has a final purpose: to mate... If that's not pertinent to life, I really don't know what is. People complain about 'lovey dovey' lyrics, but in a way, isn't it a reflection of what our society values? There's no need to be pessimist all the time, all it brings is depression and white hair.

^ Sorry for using you as an example, 51803, I apologize for making some generalizations, as I obviously don't know you personally. To tosei: Obviously, there is intelligence to what 51803, it's called the intelligence of experience. The range of that experience can be doubted but never the intelligence, the intelligence to form an opinion from a experience. There really no need for that last two sentence of yours. You always of the choice of widening that experience, no need to bash.

This just furthers my belief that Tablo gave it all up in the States because he knew he could only make it in Korea.

^ I could be wrong, but I believe Tablo was involved in the Canadian hiphop underground scene....

Actually, he just might had made it here if he tried, not big time for sure... but maybe just fresh enough for this multicultural fruitcake country of ours, rather then that melting pot ( the racial lines drawn in texas was a huge shock for someone that grew up in Canada) where I use to live...

Of course you're right that it's probably easier in Korea...I don't blame him, the artistic community here is SO dead and hugely under funded.

And a disclaimer...I realize that a lot of what I wrote was just babling from my mind...I hope someone gets something out of this typing lolz

I have something guilty to admit, this discussion is actually kinda fun, no? Maybe I'm secretly a sadist...sad and scary...but possible? :lol:

So let's just keep posting and no hard feeling :lol:

Guest YEHJIN.

AHHHHH

I LOVE EPIK HIGH<33 after i saw that rainbow romance episode with them. tablo is so cute!! hahaha x] i like their fly song :] and i like their perfs, too<33

EDIT:

ALRIGHT. after reading all that, i was beginning to get sad beacuse some people started to bash and use not-so-nice words to each other -________-;; don't have a bad rep in soompi for being mean.

well, i would like to add more to this TOPIC, but i don't have a lot of hip-hop knowledge.. so i shouldn't talk or i'd sound stupid and ignorant.. if i knew more about the real hip-hop & underground and stuff, then i would say stuff to defend epik high because after all i am a fan and fans do get defensive and all, but i don't so.. yeah. x[ i DO know that i have respect for tablo and the rest of epik high.. just.. let's not attack each other. x[ say your opinions NICELY. nothing wrong with disagreeing with someone else.

Guest alwayzujustme

lolz...i'm with you on this YEHJIN...everyone carrys a good point on their side of the arguement...but shouldn't this arguement or debate be taken OUT of here or at least some where other than their own tread... :blink:

now...for my comments on epik high...i enjoy listening to all three of their albums...i never really considered them being hip hop or rap because they're not as hardcore as the ones here in the US...but i like their style...i really need to listen to the lyrics from their 3rd album more carefully...tablo's english lyrics in the first two albums alway makes me laugh...but they're also very meaningful...to me Epik High is a very unique...what's more is that their looks isn't what makes the impact...it's what they say...and that's why i'm proud to say that i'm a fan of their's...:)

ps...everyone on this planet is a hyprocrite one way or the other...things change and not everyone is 100% hyprocrite-free...we are only human...and this world is filled with a lot of irony... ;)

hmmm....discussion doesn't seem to be too welcomed here....guess I'll post up some caps instead :) Enjoy!

Epik High on gameshow Golden Bell (05/11/19) (sorry about the bad quality, 700mb HD was too much to download ;) )

bscap020.jpgbscap019.jpg

bscap018.jpgbscap017.jpg

bscap016.jpgbscap015.jpg

bscap014.jpgbscap013.jpg

bscap012.jpgbscap011.jpg

bscap010.jpgbscap009.jpg

bscap008.jpgbscap004.jpg

bscap003.jpgbscap040.jpg

bscap039.jpgbscap038.jpg

bscap037.jpgbscap036.jpg

bscap035.jpgbscap034.jpg

bscap033.jpgbscap032.jpg

bscap031.jpgbscap030.jpg

bscap029.jpgbscap028.jpg

bscap027.jpgbscap026.jpg

bscap025.jpgbscap024.jpg

bscap023.jpgbscap022.jpg

bscap021.jpg

credits: crystalis@soompi.com

And a few of Tablo on NN5:

n4.jpgn6.jpg

n13.jpg

credits: soompi + shinhwachangjo.net

n29.jpg

n30.jpg

ns6.jpg

credits: soompi.com

Just wondering which Epik High album is your favorite? I'm guessing it's a fight between first and third album, like older work vs newer hehe..

Guest Take Five

Just wondering which Epik High album is your favorite? I'm guessing it's a fight between first and third album, like older work vs newer hehe..

first.

I LUV EPIK HIGH

TABLO IS SO CUTE

their msic is UNIQUE

and they haf style!!!!!!

and they're really good

Tablo

i rekon is a GENIUS!!! like a TOTALL BRAIN!

Guest NanaMun

One question?

Where do they plagerize and "copy" tracks and music...?

give me at least two songs and what they copy..cause this is honestly the thing that's putting me in the spinner..

I give Epik High all the credit they deserve. Most of the respect I give them is from their first album and I noticed that their 2nd album was more commercial..but WHO cares as long as their music is good and they still have some-what of the intentions they had before..

maybe the whole point of them releasing an album to the mainstream was to SHOW what these people are missing..not become like them..or maybe to boost up the creds for underground rap..get more people interested..It's just to quick to say they are "Selling out"....

Guest Olivia*sSlave*

that teen appeasing stuff is a buncha bull ay89789 you could never call that hiphop

its basically pop without singing