Song Joong Ki 송중기 - [Upcoming Movie 2024] My Name Is Loh Kiwan

gm4queen

His face is very expressive and his eyes are amazing. His timing is perfect. Whether he needs to express comedy, frustration, or anger, his quiet physical  demeanor is contained while his eyes and mouth explode with the correct feelings. He is fast becoming my favorite Asian actor. And his style is impeccable. Casual clothes or suits, he wears all with grace and style.

Vincenzo will apparently wrap later today (Korea time zone)

it's from this article but I just post part of it as the episodes didn't air last week

"Vinceenzo" is in the midst of filming the last episode, and will wrap up all filming on the 23rd. He also planned to finish filming by the end of the week in preparation for possible situations. After the last shooting, the production team will prepare for broadcasting such as editing work before the end of May 2.Vincenzo was originally scheduled to finish filming last week. However, the filming schedule for the final episode was extended by a week as the script writing for the final episode was delayed. Due to the aftermath, the show was canceled on the 17th and 18th. The 17th episode on the 17th was arranged as a special episode and the 18th episode was arranged as a rerun of "By Chance Boss." As a result, plans to end the show will be postponed by a week after the 20th episode on the 25th.

https://n.news.naver.com/entertain/now/article/108/0002949038

It appears as though they are attempting to drag this out. Had they known in advance how popular it would be they likely would have added episodes. It's frustrating and annoying to have them skip weeks like that. I have stopped watching many Netflix offerings because they follow the "soap opera" format of "new episodes every week." I want to watch everything in a consistent viewing at once. I was drawn to start watching Vicenzo because of his face and those eyes. I suppose it's feasible, with the first Monday in May a type of holiday in many countries including many Asian countries, the forces behind Vincenzo might think many of their audience would not be watching but using the long weekend for a mini vacation.

I have watched Arthdal Chronicals and was so pleased to see Kim Hyun Joong acting in it. Fell in love with him in Playful Kiss and his One More Time is one of my favorite songs. When I realized he was being replaced in Arthdal I was as upset as a devoted fan can be. Here in the US there was only so much information I could get about his problems and why the producers would recast the part. Arthdal Chronicals was superb but I lost interest when I saw Kim Hyun Joong was replaced for part two. But after being exposed to the acting talents of Song Joong Ki I am willing to give it a chance while still hoping things work out for Kim Hyun Joong. Some may have missed it because it was so subtle, but his character is a triplet. The rebel, the adopted son of Ta-Gon, and at the end of the first season one of Ta-Gon's most fierce fighters who is always hooded and face covered was revealed to have the same face. 

• Guest changed the title to Song Joong Ki 송중기 - YouTube LIVE : 7 May, 20:00 KST

Most satisfying series I have ever watched. He was always on top of things, he was never kidnapped or beat up, he always won his fights... I hated the younger brother of the Chairman died. This would make a great ongoing series in the vein of Mission: Impossible. He is fantastic and the supporting actors of the Plaza are super as well.

https://zapzee.net/2021/05/05/song-joong-ki-says-vincenzo-is-his-best-role/
Song Joong Ki Says Vincenzo Is His Best Role

by krishkim | Images: HiStory DNC

C8BC7319-83A2-4FAB-8B14-DDD8958F8CA2.jpg

In tvN’s Vincenzo, Song Joong Ki flawlessly took on the role of Vincenzo Cassano, a villain who catches the villains. And you can certainly say that Vincezo was a character that has never been seen in K-dramas so far. In an interview conducted to mark the end of the series, the actor candidly shared his thoughts, just like Vincenzo.

Q1. Did you feel any pressure about playing the title role?
I’ve never been this unweighted before. I’d be lying if I said that there was zero pressure. But just like how the episodes progressed with Geumga Plaza tenants, I bonded strongly with the actors who play the Geumga Plaza tenants. So I was never lonely. I think I can say that “we all had fun together.” That’s how I really feel.

Q2. Some say the final episode was too violent.
Even at the filming set, people were divided into two groups, those who said it’s too violent and those who said it’s fine. We knew that there will be various opinions when the episode aired. But personally, I didn’t think it was violent. I actually thought he could go a little further. He (Vincenzo) punished the characters who had committed unspeakably evil acts accordingly. So I’m really satisfied. 

Q3. Many say this is your best role.
I don’t know how the public and the industry insiders are considering it. But to Song Joong Ki, “Vincenzo” is the best role. Of my career, I had the most exciting time playing Vincenzo. I’m just glad that I got to play him.

AF93C833-E483-49AF-90B2-8769DA926F09.jpg

Q4. Compliments about your looks are pouring out.
Whenever I’m asked this kind of question, I really don’t know what to say. I don’t have a special facial care routine. I had an overwhelmingly bigger role than others, but everyone I met at the scene told me, “You must be exhausted. So how do you look so good?” It’s not my secret treatment, but I laughed so hard the past eight months. If I filmined till dawn the day before, I would normally think, “Oh, I want to go home and rest.” But this time, I wanted to visit the scene and have a blast with staff and actors as soon as I wake up.

Q5. If you have to choose your best partner?
It’s definitely Jeon Yeo Been. I don’t care if other actors get upset by this answer. Hong Cha Young, played by Jeon Yeo Been, was so damn lovely. Personally, I felt that she was so attractive, so I really grew fond of her while we acted together. Above all else, I think we just had the best chemistry. I’m sure some actors will text me that they’re upset when they see this article… but I don’t care (laughs).

Q6. There are lots of people who desire season 2.
We never talked about season 2. But the fact that I’m talking about this means that there are people who are waiting for season 2, so I’m just grateful for that. But we haven’t talked about it. I also don’t think there’s going any talk about season 2 internally.

Q7. You were nominated for Baeksang Arts Award for Best Actor (TV).
I am honored to just be a nominee. Of course, I would be happier if I win the award, but even if I don’t, that’s fine too. I will just be enjoying myself. Actually, the part I’m more focusing on right now is the fact that our director was nominated for the Best Director Award.

Source (1)

Translator Kim Hoyeun: If you are a fan of K-drama, K-movie, and K-pop, I am your guy. I will continue to provide you with up-to-date K-entertainment news.

Spoiler

https://en.yna.co.kr/view/AEN20210503005600315
(Yonhap Interview) Song Joong-ki satisfies with cruelly perfect revenge in 'Vincenzo'

SEOUL, May 3 (Yonhap) -- Many beloved protagonists in Korean TV series are good looking and ride in on their white horses to save beautiful heroines, never engaging in illegal activities.

The black comedy "Vincenzo" on tvN, directed by Kim Hee-won and written by Park Jae-bum, created a fresh dark hero that is far from the stereotype and has few antecedents in Korea.

Vincenzo Cassano, played by Song Joong-ki, is handsome but not always good and clean. He fights against social powers in a way that he did in Italy as a consigliere of the Italian Mafia. He dares to cross moral lines and even use violence to punish evil ones.

In an interview with local media on Monday, Song said he was thrilled and satisfied with his character's weapon of choice even though it looked brutal to some extent. He said Vincenzo could have taken stronger action to crack down on the outlaws.

"I didn't think it's cruel. I often think we have to punish those who commit villainous acts by all means," he said. "It is a fictional drama, but I'm very satisfied with the way that those villains were punished."

The final 20th episode on Sunday highlighted Vincenzo's vigilante-style vengeance against representatives of a leading conglomerate doing its illegal business free from fair legal punishment. He castigated the villains by means that the law does not permit.

Vincenzo's heroic performance captured the eyes of Korean TV viewers, posting 14.6 percent in nationwide viewership on Sunday. It is the sixth highest number for tvN's drama series.

But the actor refused to call Vincenzo a hero because he is no more than a villain, although many people have been excited at his winning streak.

"As Vincenzo said, he is trash that throws away other trash. He is just a bad guy," the 35-year old actor said. "I think people feel vicarious pleasure from Vincenzo. It's sad that we are supporting this vicious character."

Thanks to the popularity of "Vincenzo," which was also available on Netflix, Song made a successful return to the South Korean small screen after fantasy "Arthdal Chronicles" (2019), which struggled with lower-than-expected viewership ratings.

His last project "Space Sweepers," a Netflix original space film released in February, was a global hit watched by 26 million households across the world.

"I really enjoyed this project (Vincenzo) and did my best, so I can say it was successful from my point of view," he said. "I didn't feel pressure while shooting. I had a really good time with the other cast members."

He did not forget to offer an apology for the controversial scene featuring a Chinese product as a product placement advertisement.

In the eighth episode of the dark comedy that aired on March 14 on tvN, an instant Chinese "bibimbap" brand was exposed while the lead characters Vincenzo and Cha-young (Jeon Yeo-bin) have a meal.

Bibimbap is a popular Korean dish consisting of a bowl of warm white rice topped with seasoned vegetables and chili pepper paste.

Some Korean viewers frowned upon the fact that Chinese-produced bibimbap appeared on a Korean drama amid the recent Chinese claims that some elements of Korean culture, including kimchi, originated from China.

The scene was soon removed from videos on Korean and overseas streaming platforms.

"As an actor in a title role, I think it is right to apologize to those who are disappointed with our program," he said. "After that controversy, we focused more on improving the quality of our show."

About the second season of "Vincenzo," Song remained cautious.

"I've heard nothing about it," he said. "I'm really grateful that people want more. Vincenzo is one of my best characters in my career. It was fun to play him."

He said he will come back soon with the crime movie "Bogota," whose production has been halted multiple times due to the pandemic. It is about Korean immigrants in Colombia in the 1990s.

brk@yna.co.kr
(END)

• Like 1

Would be overjoyed with a Season Two. It was satisfying to see the criminals get what was coming to them. If there is a Season Two it would be nice to have Vincenzo get his legal problems in Korea cleared up so he can return to the Plaza and the people there. At a point in the future it would be fun to see him playing the Godfather to his young charge.

• Guest changed the title to Song Joong Ki 송중기

http://english.hani.co.kr/arti/english_edition/e_entertainment/994384.html
[Interview] Song Joong-ki says he learned comedy from ‘Geumga Plaza’ family in “Vincenzo”

May 9, 2021

The actor said he was confused about his character’s appeal as “dark hero” to the viewers

3E00C41A-2B3B-447E-B17A-D97F016DA0FD.jpg
Song Joong-ki (provided by HiSTORY D&C)

The disappointment on his face was palpable.

“I don’t want to do an end-of-series interview. Can’t we film a 21st episode? I hate to let go.”

Monday was the day after the final episode was aired in the 20-part series “Vincenzo” on the tvN network. Yet when lead actor Song Joong-ki appeared for a video interview that morning, it seemed like he had not yet put the show behind him.

“There wasn’t an unhappy moment on the set. I developed a strong bond with the other actors — the ‘Geumga Plaza’ family in the series — and we all supported and relied on each other throughout the filming,” he said. “It was my most energizing and enjoyable acting experience to date.”

Song’s character Vincenzo is a Mafia consigliere who was adopted in Italy at an early age, and who comes to share a sense of family with the people of Geumga Plaza. Much like his character, Song himself discovered the value of cooperation in his experience with his fellow actors during shooting.

In particular, he learned from his co-stars about comedy, an area that he had always considered one of his weaknesses.

“I was so worried about how viewers would react to me doing comedy, and I learned a lot from watching Yang Kyung-won [who plays a pawn shop owner] and Kim Hyung-mook [who plays a cook at an Italian restaurant] about how the more comical a scene is, the more you have to play it straight,” he said.

Thirteen years have passed since Song made his debut in the 2008 film “A Frozen Flower.”

7EE10915-27FB-42EF-B9D1-00CB7F179409.jpg

His subsequent appearances would become major events, with his roles in the 2010 TV series “Sungkyunkwan Scandal,” the 2012 film “A Werewolf Boy” and the 2016 drama “Descendants of the Sun.” But Song himself never felt like he measured up.

That humility may be the secret ingredient that has helped him to grow. By 2021, “Vincenzo” showed him to be an actor capable of greater depths — and with comedy chops to boot.

“Vincenzo” brings together all the different elements behind his appeal to date. It provides effective illustrations of his ability to shift between different extremes.

“Song Joong-ki has the looks of a handsome young man, but when his character is consumed by anger, his face becomes rage itself,” said Jeong Deok-hyeon, a popular culture critic.

Vincenzo is much nastier than the lead characters in dramas tend to be. He is capable of the same brutality as the chaebol chairman villain the characters must band together to defeat.

Throughout the series, we hear the same line of dialogue: “Fight evil with evil.” In the final episode aired on Sunday, Song’s character brutally kills Babel Group chairman Jang Joon-woo (Ok Taec-yeon) and attorney Choi Myung-hee (Kim Yeo-jin).

“Early on, I didn’t know he would end up being that brutal, and I misjudged the character in terms of the tone of my performance,” Song said. “My standards for approaching it changed about midway through.”

BE1750AA-11BA-436A-9BF3-1D266798E48C.jpg

Viewers have raved about the “dark hero,” viewing his personal vengeance as thrilling to watch.

“I was actually kind of confused myself. I did all these things you aren’t supposed to do, yet I managed to win over the viewers,” Song said.

“If the viewers found it thrilling, then I think it did its job as a commercial drama, even if I found it unsettling,” he added.

“I’m satisfied with how it ended, but I don’t like to use the term ‘hero.’ Vincenzo is not a good person. Just watching the news last night, I saw so many things about bad people. That may be why people find it so thrilling to see that kind of personal vengeance.”

At the same time, he said, “The most exhilaration we feel, the sadder the reality is.”

“There is no justification for punishing villains with the villains’ own methods,” he added.

Song’s empathetic performance also contributed to the viewers’ acceptance of his brutal vengeance tactics. He pulls off a difficult job with a performance that alternates freely and smoothly between seriousness and comedy. In particular, the fury that appears in his eyes when his character’s mother dies in episode 16 shows the greater depths now visible in his face.

After working non-stop for eight months, Song is already moving on to his next gig, as shooting begins later this month for the film “Bogota.” It’s the story of young people who immigrate to Colombia in the 1990s. Filming had to be suspended last year due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

In his career so far, Song has lived by the saying that “people do not change easily.” Just as he has been doing to date, we can expect him to keep working hard to make up for his shortcomings.

By Nam Ji-eun, staff reporter

• Like 1

The reaction of the audience to his character's payback to the evil around him is a universal feeling of the helplessness citizens worldwide feel in the way law and court rulings are applied when these criminals are finally brought before the judges. There is rarely a satisfactory closure for victims and families and the law forbids taking it into our own hands. Even in movies and TV, writers only give a tiny piece of what viewers seek. In Vincenzo, throughout the entire series, there was payback for evil. In my personal opinion, Attorney Choi is the most evil of the characters. She killed several people on her own, never shows remorse, and without her, the Chairman would have been caught earlier. The only time I have found such satisfaction in the ending of a production was when Magnum asked the Viet Cong  hypnotist who had killed Mac and was bragging that he was going to awaken the other sleepers, Magnum's friends, to perform terrorist acts, and he knew Magnum wouldn't kill him because of his ethical code. This evil commandant who kept Magnum and his friends as prisoners of war used to take them out one by one and ask them did they see the sun rise, then would shoot them. Magnum asked him if he saw the sun rise and shot him in the head. End of episode.  I hope for a Season Two of Vincenzo.

There has been so much discussion about how Vincenzo handled the criminals, it would make an excellent topic for a college ethics class.