Untold Scandal 스캔들 - 조선남녀상열지사 (2003)

Starring: Bae Yong-Joon, Lee Mi-Seok, Jeon Do-Yeon, Jo Hyun-Jae, Lee So-Yeon

Director: E J-Yong

Genre: Romance, Drama, Comedy, History

Runtime: 124mins

Production: Bom

Distribution: CJ Entertainment

Language: Korean

The end of the Chosun dynasty-a period when rigid Confucianism clashed with encroaching new beliefs.

Lady Cho is a brilliant woman who mastered the classics on her own, and she resents the limited life she must lead as a woman. A devoted wife on the surface, she secretly entertains herself with sexual conquests.

On the other hand, her younger cousin Jo-won is accomplished both as a scholar and in martial arts, but rejects a high government post as if he disdains the hierarchical and patriarchal conventions of the time. He indulges in the pleasures of the flesh with as many women as he can seduce. Lady Cho was his first love, and they become co-conspirators in a high-stakes game of love and intrigue while hiding their true feelings for each other.

One day, Lady Cho asks Jo-won to deflower the innocent young Soh-ok, who is to become her husband's concubine, but his attentions are elsewhere: Lady Sook. Graceful and aloof, Lady Sook lives according to her convictions as a Catholic. Jo-won becomes obsessed with seducing her, a woman who has remained chaste for nine years since her husband's death. However, it proves to be more difficult than he expected when Chosun's greatest playboy sets out to conquer the most virtuous woman in the land.

untoldscandal.jpg

usnihon.jpg

usbyj.jpg

SOURCE : 스캔들 - 조선남녀상열지사

스캔들 - 조선남녀상열지사

스캔들 - 조선남녀상열지사

스캔들 - 조선남녀상열지사

스캔들 - 조선남녀상열지사

스캔들 - 조선남녀상열지사

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Aoijen

Yeah I have this DVD is very mature... and this Movie for ADULT not for children is for 21 year old :phew:

Guest s3rene

I really like BYJ but this movie is too much for me. It totally ruined his decent image even though it was supposed to be an art film. His butt was showing in some bed scenes. :(

• 1 month later...
Guest ohJOY

My mom rented this from Blockbuster. It wasn't as graphic as Hollywood movies can get I guess... but the sexual innuendos were ... >_< I think the story itself was beautiful... especially in the end (which I will not give away lol)

Guest jelchu

story is good yet this is too bold for a korean movie with traditional theme.

i guess that is what the scandal in the title is for.

;)

Guest s3rene

Was the girl from Spring Waltz one of the naked stars in Untold Scandel or it was someone else.

No, I think it was some other girl. I thought I saw someone looking like Jo Hyun Jae in the movie but I didn't know it was really him.

Guest liezle

i'm surprised that there's a thread for "Untold Scandal" anyway, this gave me the chance to post these beautiful scenes from the said movie from 2003. And yes, that was Jo Hyun Jae :)

Screencaps ~ Untold Scandal [2003] part 1

posted by tigger mom in BYJ's Quilt

i love the colors of untold scandal :)

all16jb.jpg

Guest frances

~ to give some of you an idea what this film is all about :)

MOVIE REVIEW from LA Times

'Untold Scandal'

Old story told well in new setting

An unexpected, exquisite version of "Les Liaisons Dangereuses" takes place in 18th century Korea.

[LA Times]10/22/04

By Kenneth Turan, Times Staff Writer

14751318.jpg

Love. Lust. Jealousy. Duplicity. Revenge. These are more than the staples of daytime soap operas, they can be the building blocks of commanding novels like Choderlos de Laclos' infamous "Les Liaisons Dangereuses."

If that initially banned 1782 French work doesn't sound familiar, its numerous film adaptations certainly will. The deliciously subversive story of innocence corrupted and love trumped attracted French director Roger Vadim and star Jeanne Moreau in 1959 as well as costars Reese Witherspoon and Ryan Phillippe in 1999's "Cruel Intentions." And the Stephen Frears-directed "Dangerous Liaisons," coming out a year before Milos Forman's "Valmont," won Christopher Hampton an Oscar for screenplay adaptation.

Now comes "Untold Scandal," a version that is certainly the most unexpected and may even be the best of the lot: genteelly erotic, surprisingly emotional, exquisitely made from start to finish.

What's different about "Untold Scandal" is that it's not set in 18th century France but in the Korea of roughly the same era, the end of the Chosun dynasty. It was a time of public morality and private licentiousness strikingly like the pre-revolutionary France of the original novel, an era that gave free rein to cynics and connivers who believed that falling in love was the ultimate delusion.

As evoked with highly polished beauty by director E. J-yong, this was also a world that lived for ritual and artifice. "Untold Scandal" revels in meals and flower arrangements that are works of art and in characters so beautifully costumed across the board that even ill-mannered ruffians are neatly and cleanly dressed.

Completely at home in a society that covers inner decay with outer elegance are a pair of flirtatious cousins. With his impeccable, trimmed Mephistophelean beard and roué's leer, Jo-won (Korean TV star Bae Yong-jun) is the very picture of a pleasure-seeking rake who devotes himself to art and women, not in that order. When he explains his refusal to remarry after his wife's death with a pious "my heart has room for only one person," his cousin snaps back, "that person changes by the hour."

That cousin would be the domineering Lady Cho (Lee Mi-sook), the one conquest that has always eluded Jo-won. She promises herself to the artist under one condition: he seduce her husband's 16-year-old future second wife, Soh-ok (Lee Soh-yeon), and impregnate her before the ceremony.

Jo-won, however, has his eye on a more difficult prize. He vows to snare the beautiful Lady Sook (Jeon Do-yeon), a widow who has so avoided men since her husband's death nine years earlier that the government named a Gate of Devotion after her in recognition of her purity. Adding a shrewd wrinkle that was absent in the original, "Untold Scandal" also turns the lady into a covert practitioner of the banned religion of Catholicism.

Undaunted by a challenge, Jo-won turns all his practiced moves and subterfuges on Lady Sook, but his pursuit of her has emotional consequences he has not anticipated, consequences that ripple outward and have a profound effect on the lives of each of the film's central characters.

Director E. J-yong, who was also one of the screenwriters, employs all of the filmmaker's tools, including a score that cleverly uses the music of both Korea and 18th century France, to create an impeccable sense of mood and place. His film is as at home with the pleasures of the flesh as the connivances of the soul, and he completely understands the terrible power of love and lovers scorned.

Choderlos de Laclos' novel has survived this long for a reason, and "Untold Scandal" shows us exactly what that is.

Guest TY_KSW

~ to give some of you an idea what this film is all about :)

MOVIE REVIEW from LA Times

'Untold Scandal'

Old story told well in new setting

An unexpected, exquisite version of "Les Liaisons Dangereuses" takes place in 18th century Korea.

[LA Times]10/22/04

Jo-won, however, has his eye on a more difficult prize. He vows to snare the beautiful Lady Sook (Jeon Do-yeon), a widow who has so avoided men since her husband's death nine years earlier that the government named a Gate of Devotion after her in recognition of her purity. Adding a shrewd wrinkle that was absent in the original, "Untold Scandal" also turns the lady into a covert practitioner of the banned religion of Catholicism.

I luv to cast Jeon Do Yeon role !!! my schoolmate Frances :w00t::w00t:

Guest liezle

Screencaps ~ Untold Scandal [2003] p4

all44xa.jpg

Look there's Jo Hyun Jae in one of the scene in Untold Scandal with Yong Joon :D

Guest TY_KSW

Screencaps ~ Untold Scandal [2003] p4

Look there's Jo Hyun Jae in one of the scene in Untold Scandal with Yong Joon :D

Johyun Jae casted young lover of lady Cho :w00t: :tongue2:

Guest frances

these are some of the international film festivals where Untold Scandal was invited to participate ~~

Untold Scandal was invited to the following international film festivals:

1. Pusan International Film Festival, South Korea (Oct 2003): received NETPAC Award (network for the promotion of Asian cinema) for Best Korean Film - Untold Scandal

2. Berlin International Film Festival, Germany (Feb 5 – 15, 2004):

For my money, the best film at Berlin so far has not been in the main competition but in the international cinema sidebar. Untold Scandal, by the South Korean director E.J. Yong, is an exquisite reworking of Dangerous Liaisons transplanted to 18th-century Korea. The story of a cynical seduction that turns to grand romance, then to tragedy, is revitalised by this magnificent-looking film. Its eroticism, mystery and poignancy are captivating and the performances are outstanding. It surely can't be long before the rest of the world will be able to see this marvellous film. From The Guardian by Peter Bradshaw in Berlin

3. Deauville Asian Film Festival, France (Mar 10-14, 2004): Closing Film

4. New Directors/ New Films, New York, USA (Mar 24 –Apr 4, 2004): only 22 movies all over the world were included and only 2 Asian films were included

5.Verona Romance Film Festival, Italy (Apr 16-25, 2004):

The prize for Best Artistic, Technical or Creative Contribution goes to E J-yong for the direction of “Untold Scandal”.

The accredited journalists at the festival awarded the “Stefano Reggiani” special prize from the Veneto’s Order of Journalists to “Untold Scandal” (South Korea), directed by E J-yong, for the following reasons: “For the chromatic elegance of the photography, which creates descriptive and lyrical scenes of luminous incisiveness; for the balance of contrasting emotions played as opposing forces yet voices of a solid musical harmony. For the symbolic value of detail and its meticulous care, open to allegory and metaphor; and for the sound-track: orchestral counterpoint which is discreet – subtly minimal, never overpowering”.

6. Barcelona Asian Film Festival, Spain (Apr 30- May 8, 2004): Opening Film

The best way to start BAFF was with one of the latest jewels from that country: Untold Scandal. Directed by E J-yong, this period film is an adaptation of the classic French novel “Dangerous Liasions”, but this time transposed to fit Korea’s Chosun Dinasty period. And it sure works! The story works perfectly well, portraying the struggles between the repressive customs of that period and people’s desires, with that Korean touch. The director, with the help of impressive performances from all the cast, the beautiful scenery and a brilliant production design, is capable of creating a superb movie which surely deserves a viewing!

7. Seattle International Film Festival, USA (May 20 – Jun 13, 2004): the largest film festival in the U.S.

I've now seen the Dangerous Liason story done at least three times, and this is every bit as good as any other version. Actually, the story translates very well into a Korean film of nobility and manners in the 18th century. This film has unbelievably wonderful costumes, makeup, hair, sets. Every visual aspect was under total control and seemed authentic. The acting was above average. … the best looking film of the festival so far. -from 2004 Seattle International Film Festival Journal

8. Shanghai International Film Festival, China (Jun 5 – 13, 2004): received 3 awards Best Director Award, Best Music Award, 500 journalists at the festival awarded Best Visual and Sound Effects to Untold Scandal

9. Sydney Film Festival, Australia (Jun 11-26, 2004): official selection

This masterfully crafted costume drama is a luscious, sexy and sly re-telling of 'Les Liaisons Dangereuses', brilliantly transposed to Korea at the end of the 18th century.

10. Los Angeles Film Festival, USA (Jun 17-26, 2004): official selection

With exquisite cinematography and gorgeous sets and costumes of 18th century Korea, this elegant film is mesmerizing and painfully gripping at the same time. …. Bae Yong-jun succeeds at giving the character great depth and layers. Asia Pacific Arts

11. Edinburgh International Film Festival, United Kingdom (Aug 18-29, 2004) (the UK's leading Film Festival): Closing Film

The “Scandal” is an outstanding film which is equal to the “2046”, esthetically & artistically and it will become a good chance to confirm the status of Korean movies which are distinguishing themselves in the World film field.

Excellent acting from Lee Mi-sook as Lady Cho and Bae Yong-jun as Cho-won (by Elf)

12. Montreal World Film Festival, Canada (Aug 26-Sep 6, 2004)

The invited field is 'Cinemas of Asia' section in the Montreal Film Festival, 'Scandal' by E-J Young has been invited and compete with 25 movies from Asia for the 'Golden Zenith' Award.

The Montreal Film Festival is an international film festival held every September in Montreal in Quebec in Canada, and it boasts the authority and scale equal to the world's 3 major film festival.

13. Korean Film Festival, Auckland, New Zealand (Oct 22-31, 2004)

Untold Scandal possesses a beauty beyond 'skin-deep', and comes as highly recommended viewing.–Mia V

14. Hawaii International Film Festival, Hawaii, USA (Oct 2004)

one of the world’s ten most important film festivals and Untold Scandal is one of the festival's Signature Galas

15. Leeds International Film Festival, United Kingdom (Oct 29-Nov 7, 2004):

Official selection

An exquisitely photographed cavalcade of vivid colours and gorgeous sets complimented by fine performances, particularly from Bae Yong-jun, as the villain of the piece.

16. Three Rivers Film Festival, Pittsburgh, PA, USA (Nov. 5 – 18, 2004) (Filmmaker’s Film Festival)

Breathtakingly filmed with meticulous attention to details, Scandal is a feast for the senses.

17. Anchorage Film Festival, Alaska, USA (Dec 5, 2004)

Bae Yong-jun is not as devilish as John Malkovich, who played the role in the American film, but he is more playful in his deceits. He's also more believable as a man for whom the ladies would fall. … Director E J-Yong succeeds because he treats the subject with irony and makes the story even more sophisticated than it was originally conceived. Miami Herald

18. Glasgow World Film Festival, Scotland (Feb 10-17,2005)

The ever-growing Asian film industry is represented by, among others, “Untold Scandal” – a Korean take on “Les Liaisons Dangereuses” set in aristocratic 18th-century Korea.

19. Third Jameson Dublin International Festival, Ireland (Feb 11-20, 2005)

Untold Scandal, a version of ‘Les Liaisons Dangereuses’, was for Michael Dwyer "one of the most beautiful, gorgeous looking films I’ve ever seen." Asian Horizons

20. Bradford Film Festival, United Kingdom (March 4-19, 2005)

-as Special Preview at the National Museum of Photography, Film and Television.

The tenth film based on Choderlos de Laclos 18th Century novel of courtly sexual intrigue, Les Liaisons Dangereuses, this unexpected Korean adaptation is almost perfect. The central performance from Bae Yong-Jun, as the seducer Jo-won, is magnificent combining sublime charm and base deceit. Equally, Lee Mi-Suk as the arch manipulator Lady Cho, would be an outstanding Lady Macbeth on this form.

21. Istanbul International Film Festival, Turkey (April 2-17, 2005)

“Scandal-The Love Story of Men & Women in Chosun” by Director E J-Yong is invited to international competition section so that it plans to add its power in creating Korean film boom.

22. Belfast Film Festival, United Kingdom (April 7-16, 2005)

This stunning film had me entranced throughout its entire two hours. It’s rich, dynamic and absorbing, and a genuine cinematic triumph. …. You’ll enjoy a cavalcade of gorgeous sets, a story of remarkable emotional force, and an ending to die for. Fantastic.

–Leicester Mercury – UK News

23. Alba Regia International Film Festival, Székesfehérvár, Hungary (June 6-12, 2005)

24. Chlortrudis Society for Independent Films (March 2005) - nominated for Best Adapted Screenplay - In this tenth iteration of Les liaisons dangereuses to hit the screen, and possibly the most erotic, writers Dae-woo Kim and Hyeon-jeong Kim and director Je-yong Lee use a subplot of underground Catholics to add to the flavor of risk and repressed sensuality. A beautiful overlay of Korean culture on a French story.

Archived