Guest c'erine

alice kim (nicolas cage's w/e)

is actually very gorgeous

she shouldn't be used as an example in

"Famous White Actors/singers With Average Asian Chicks"

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey, even though you guys call Edward morons, racists, or whatever.

I bet this thought has crossed all of your minds at least once;

doubt it, you can. but whatever.

okay! thank you

intelligent discussion over here!

(really hope ppl all up in arms about this thread topic read the comments ive made on page 3)

simple minded accusations and hateful comments over there ------->

Guest usagi

well it doesnt need to be said that burden of representation rule for asians, where one asian bears the representation for all of us, is wildly rampant in todays world.

if it werent enough that we barely get represented in the first place we have the bai lings and the william hungs who are thrust out into the spotlight to be the voice of our people -frustrating.

another avenue tht seems to be creating a stereotype/reputation for asians particularly asian women is the phenom of famous white actors/singers pairing themselves with average asian girls. not saying that these guys look any better, but in american culture its usually that it doesnt matter what the guy looks like as long as he has fame money power he will get the hot chick...but in these scenarios these guys have money fame, etc. but they end up with these average asian girls...its a very interesting social observation for me.

i have NEVER seen an exceptionally hot asian chick with one of these famous hollywood types..... however i have seen exceptionally hot asian chicks with less than average asian guys....anyone else share their experience with this?

so lets take a look at some examples.

I like to know where does it say that american culture is like that. If it was like that then all men with money, power, and fame would have a hot chick as his wife :rolleyes: I'm sure if u look up others who didn't not marry an asian it would only turn out the same. Why must these men marry a hot asian chick just so ppl who feel insecure about their looks and ethnic background feel better? Tbh what does it matter what ignorant ppl think about Bai ling and William hung? Not all americans are ignorant as television makes us seem.

Guest 0oyokisuo0

Hey, even though you guys call Edward morons, racists, or whatever.

I bet this thought has crossed all of your minds at least once;

doubt it, you can. but whatever.

oh really how much money would you like to bet? cause this has never crossed my mind once.

honestly, why not just make a thread for FAMOUS ACTORS / SINGERS WITH AVERAGE COUNTERPARTS? these asian women are NOT representing the asians, there are actually asian celebrities in the entertainment business who do represent the asians. there are the good ones - lucy liu and the bad ones - bai lin. i have never seen any of these "chicks" other than cage's wife, who is actually really pretty btw, in tabloids, magazines, news, etc. probably because most of these male actors are not that famous in the first place.

and just because you think they are "average," doesnt mean they are average to everyone. i'm sure the white actors/singers find their partners very beautiful and its none of our business to judge their choices.

Guest Aestas

interracial marriage issues + entertainment industry....

its also definitely an asian american issue... there's a huge disparity when Asians marry caucasians. a lot more Asian women marry white men in general. the percentage difference is huge when comparing Asian men marrying white females. also, a lot of Asian women see white men as more attractive overall... just because of their race. which is kind of stupid... they are racist to their own race because they think Asian men are not "men" enough for them.

Also, a lot of Caucasian men fantasize about Asian women. they think of them as "dragon ladies" and that they are innocent looking yet sex demons under the sheets. all this just adds to the White men + Asian Women coupling...

Edward brings up some interesting race issues, but a lot of people don't really understand. i know there will be a lot of flaming and arguments in this thread.

Guest emceej

lol. personally i think alice kim is pretty =)

well...it's not all about the looks you know? some people aren't shallow

Guest MaryMagdalin

honestly there is nothing mature about this thread.

and nothing to have a conversation about

obv they like something about the girl.

and obv they dont care about having a girl who looks up to par with them.

Guest overlyexpressed

Although I've never actually publicly stated this, but yes, your point did come up across my mind a couple of times. :P

What's considered beautiful is totally different in every single media outlet, so maybe that's why famous people get paired up with people that we think are average? And there's no really drop-dead gorgeous asian in the Western media o__o.

Guest marasshi

i have NEVER seen an exceptionally hot asian chick with one of these famous hollywood types.....

That's because these exceptionally hot asian chicks are dating rich businessmen.

I know of these two:

14334.jpg

Zhang Ziyi with Aviv Nevo, "an Israeli venture capitalist who is a major shareholder in Time Warner.[2][3] His venture capital firm, NV Investments, is believed to invest in technology companies worldwide, and is said to have been an early backer of The Weinstein Company,[4] and the largest individual shareholder in Time Warner." (Wikipedia)

Michelle%20Yeoh%20Honored%202008%20Marrakech%20Film%20xbC5w5Cz29cl.jpg

Michelle Yeoh with Jean Todt, the former executive director of Scuderia Ferrari, the Ferrari company's Formula One constructor, former Ferrari CEO, and...future FIA president? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean_Todt)

And after some googling, I found out that Gong Li is married to Singaporean businessman Ooi Hoe Soeng. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gong_Li)

ETA:

BTW, people who don't like Todt refer to him as The Toad... although I personally admire his shrewdness and how he, Michael Schumacher and Ross Brawn raised Ferrari (of which I am a fan) from the ashes so I don't call him that. :x

Guest meimei__KOUSEKI

...surprised this isn't closed yet.

i'm sad nobody's getting this on the same platform as you though...

and i haven't seen nicolas cage's wife! i knew she was korean though, i think.. he brings his kids there some time...but i haven't really seen them... wow.

this thread is incredibly shallow.

I also though alice kim was quite pretty and cute. And Trent Reznor's gf would look fine with better hair style and make-up.

josh holloway and his wife look like they have great chemistry together. I didn't focus at all on their looks in the second picture. they just looked like a happy couple.

Guest strawberryme

I didn't know Josh Holloway is married tho.

Love him in Lost.

But Trent Reznor's gf looks gay to me.

Guest vanggirlie

Josh Holloway was on the fence on marrying his wife when they were about to get married. i think he just had cold feet but i also think that she must put up with alot with him.

neways. they don't look the best but everyone's gotta have some love. if you feel they are being put on the spot to represent us then you are looking too much into it. anyways looks shouldn't matter...too much.

like i said, everyone needs some lovin'...the good, the bad, and the ugly.

Guest kaypop.

if you feel they are being put on the spot to represent us then you are looking too much into it.

this.

Guest l'uomo

I do care about Asian American portrayal in Western media. But I'm just not as pessimistic and superficial as you are.

Why is it such a bad thing that, in Hollywood, an average looking Asian person is "representing" the entire Asian culture? (And are they really? Lol.)

Individual people represent themselves. NOT Hollywood actors.

And plus, not all Asians look like Daniel Henney or Hyori Lee.

In fact, if you really look at Brad Pitt's face, he's just an average white guy (at least in my opinion) he's become what he has because Hollywood chose to glorify that kind of look from the day movies were invented. There are tons of (average) white people out there that have potential to be famous and "Hollywood gorgeous" if they were just made up to be.

Zac Efron? I personally think he looks like a troll, but then again, he's considered hot because he was made up to be glorified.

Btw, I'm john teshing proud of what Lucy Liu, Sandra Oh, John Cho, Margaret Cho (yes), Leonardo Nam, etc. etc. etc. has done thus far.

Even though they might be considered "ugly" (to some) and a "poor representation of Asians" (wtf? No they're not.)

A "poor representation of Asians" would be Hyori Lee's and Daniel Henney's.

Lastly, people in real life don't john teshing care about what you look like. And if they do... you better find some better people to be around.

OP needs to get their head out of Hollywood's backend and start living in the real world.

This is just the beginning for Asians in Hollywood.

Also, Trey Parker's wife is gorgeous. IMO.

southparktparker2.jpg

this thread is filled with FAIL.

first off, you posted men who are not considered good-looking by the average american population.

then, those below-average looking guys are paired with average looking women.

the next area of FAIL is that you compare asian standards of beauty to american standards.

beauty in asia is heavily focused on "big" eyes, cute faces, white skin and above average attention to fashion.

your 3rd area of FAIL is that you took famous people who were dating non-famous people.

average people don't have a crew to fix them up and make them look good. they go to the mall and shop for what they think looks good or interesting.

your 4th fail area is that 3/5 of the couples you posted have men who are old enough to be the father of (and one is) the girls they are pictured with.

and finally, you made the assumption that those fugly guys would be spending time watching asian dramas and would be able to pick out an asian female that's considered "beautiful" to asians in asia.

(sorry if someone touched on these points before me)

Guest faydradonovan

I think its a little unfair to say that these women are "representing" asians in American culture. Until this thread, I've never even seen any of these women, because they are just regular people. I don't think they should be judged by the standards of "beautiful starlets" because startlets, etc have an expensive team of people surrounding them making them look as "beautiful" as they do, and then they're airbrushed on top of it. I think its a better representation to show that you don't have to appear drop dead gorgeous all the time to be worth anything in the eyes of others. If I had a daughter, I would rather have her look up to "average" women of substance then to look up to women who get by on their looks alone. (Not that all pretty women do, but there's more than a few out there)

Also, I think some of the women pictured are quite pretty.

Archived