Kim Hye Ja 김혜자 55th Baeksang Grand Prize Winner 2019

rubie

March 11, 2015

“Unkind Women” Yet Again Surpasses “Kill Me Heal Me” for First Place in Ratings

unkind-women.jpg
The latest addition to the Wednesday-Thursday evening drama slot, “Unkind Women,” has already surpassed the popular drama “Kill Me Heal Me” in ratings by a rather large gap.

According to statistics released by Nielsen, the fifth episode of  “Unkind Women” that aired on March 11 scored a 12.0% ratings nationwide. With that, the ratings for the KBS drama has far surpassed that of  MBC‘s “Kill Me Heal Me,” which formerly held the first place until the third episode of the newer drama.

The March 11 episode of “Kill Me Heal Me” had a rating of 9.2%. SBS‘ Wednesday-Thursday evening drama “Hyde, Jekyll, Me” saw yet another low rating of 3.8%.

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

March 18, 2015

'Unkind Women' ranked top among Wednesday & Thursday dramas, 'Angry Mom' follows as second

Source: TV Report via Hancinema.net

image_readtop_2015_258843_14266677151820

"Unkind Women" rated 12.1% being the only drama stayed within the 10% range.

According to Nielsen Korea on March 19th, KBS 2TV's "Unkind Women" continued its upward trend with 12.1% for four episodes in a row. The figure is up by 0.1%.

While "Unkind Women" maintained its upward trend, the MBC and SBS dramas during the same airtime dropped a bit.

The first episode of MBC's "Angry Mom", which was aired after completion of 'Kill Me, Heal Me', rated 7.7% lower than 9.4% of the final episode of 'Kill Me, Heal Me'.

SBS' 'Hyde, Jekyll and I' also dropped to 3.5% in its viewership rating by 0.4% down from the last episode.

Guest kyung-jin

class="at_ttl""'Unkind Woman' Kim Hye Ja Explodes In Anger "

BY C Han | Mar 20, 2015 08:54 PM EDT

"'Unkind Woman' Kim Hye Ja Explodes In Anger "

On the episode of KBS 2TV Wednesday/Thursday drama "Unkind Woman" broadcast on Mar. 19th, Kang Soon Ok (played by Kim Hye Ja) started to get angered as Jang Mo Ran (played by Jang Mee Hee) suggested remarriage.

On this day, Jang Mo Ran (played by Jang Mee Hee) went to go exercise with Kang Soon Ok (played by Kim Hye Ja).  Kang Soon asked Jang Mo Ran why she had been suggestion remarriage when all her family members were around.

At this, Jang Mo Ran said, "Oh that?" and she smiled as she tried to explain.  Nonetheless Soon Ok cut off her words and said, "I liked my husband Kim Chul Hee a lot.  Therefore, even if he cheats on me with Jang Mo Ran, I assumed that he was just immature." With that, she revealed the truth.

In addition, Soon Ok said, "He had left the house to go to the woman that he loved.  So let's wait another day.  And then he received a call saying that he died from arson after a car that he was waiting for.  This is how I lived all my life so how dare you make a joke like this?"  With that, she asked that she never make jokes like this in the future.

Source: http://www.kdramastars.com/articles/78881/20150320/unkind-woman-kim-hye-ja-explodes-in-anger.htm

Guest kyung-jin

class="at_ttl""'Unkind Woman' Kim Hye Ja And Jang Mee Hee's Verbal Fight "

BY C Han | Mar 20, 2015 08:55 PM EDT

"'Unkind Woman' Kim Hye Ja And Jang Mee Hee's Verbal Fight "

On the episode of KBS 2TV Wednesday/Thursday drama "Unkind Woman" broadcast on Mar. 19th, Kang Soon Ok (played by Kim Hye Ja) and Jang Mo Ran (played by Jang Mee Hee) took selfies and acted like young women.

On this day, Jang Mo Ran (played by Jang Mee Hee) and Kang Soon Ok (played by Kim Hye Ja) were having a strong verbal fight because Jang Mo Ran (played by Jang Mee Hee) had been suggesting remarriage.  Jang Mo Ran was sitting the bench as she was distressed.  Soon Ok went over to her and said, "Are you thinking about this again this whole time?"

Jang Mo Ran was crying thinking about her own family history.  Kang Sook Ok said, "Stop, this is really pathetic."  At this, Jang Mo Ran said, "Your sister is really bad. She's trying to protect but cursing behind her back."  Kang Soon Ok said, "When did I curse behind someone's back? I curse in front of them."

Meanwhile, Mo Ran was upset because she was in a good mood as she had just bought a selfie stick.  With that, she got upset and got up from her seat. At this, Kang Soon Ok calmed her down and made up, as they filmed pictures together.

Source: http://www.kdramastars.com/articles/78885/20150320/unkind-woman-kim-hye-ja-and-jang-mee-hees-verbal-fight.htm

Guest adikkeluangman

[unkind Ladies] Kim Hye Ja and other cast during the press conference. She look petite compared to others. So cute.B-gcWIXCMAA4yGu.jpg B-gcWosCUAAUvuR.jpg

Guest adikkeluangman

^Please remove the picture although you copy the link from mine it still count as quoting. Thank you.
She is Do Ji Won acting as Kim Hye Ja daughter in drama Unkind Ladies.
-----[unkind Ladies] Soon Ok, Hyun Sook, Hyun Jung and Ma Ri gather for wine party. Which one of them looked sloppy and absurd?1424764646759.jpg
http://tenasia.hankyung.com/archives/451173

• 2 weeks later...
Guest adikkeluangman

[unkind Ladies] Kim Hye Ja, Jang Mi Hee, Do Ji Won, Chae Si Ra and Lee Ha Na reading and revise their script whenever they take break from filming.B_jhBlWVAAAtwbs.jpg
http://tenasia.hankyung.com/archives/461693 

• 2 weeks later...

April 22, 2015

'Unkind Women' Kim Hye Ja to Lee Soon Jae, "Shut up" at his request to sleep together
Source: TV Report via Hancinema.net
photo586580.jpg
"Unkind Women" Kim Hye-ja rejected Lee Soon-jae's offer to sleep together.
The 17th episode of KBS 2TV's "Unkind Women" depicted the romance between Cheol-hee (Lee Soon-jae) and Soon-ok (Kim Hye-ja) in their twilight years.
After Cheol-hee recovered his memories about the time family had to go through for the last 30 years, he decided to work hard to live for the family.
When he received allowance money from his son-in-law, Min-goo (Park Hyeok-kwon), he showed it off to Soon-ok. While he was having a quiet time with Soon-ok for just two of them in a café, he said, "I'm coming to your room", implying they should sleep together. However Soon-ok said, "Shut up" rejecting his offer outright.
As Cheol-hee complained, "What is with Shut up to your husband?", Soon-ok was getting ready to throw a cake at him exactly as it had happened 30 years ago.

Guest adikkeluangman

[unkind Ladies] Kim Hye Ja, Chae Shi Ra and Do Ji Won in a car ride with Son Chang Min in the drama still.CA1qZxaUQAIjn9H.jpg
http://entertain.naver.com/read?oid=404&aid=0000088558

• 3 weeks later...

May 7, 2015

The Power of Cannes to Box Office Performance

by Lee You-jin / KOFIC

Films that walk on the Cannes red carpet receive the spotlight from the film world. We've compared the films that were invited to Cannes after 2000, and studied how they have impacted the performance of ticket sales. (Total admissions, Korean Film Council’s KOBIS)

Kim Hye Ja in MOTHER (06).

rjlKpZoIcNCiTHJAaHDF.jpggguTCCgaYfTutDtNyQGS.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

May 28, 2015

Song Jae-rim, "Kim Hye-ja heard a staff joke..."

Source: Etoday via Hancinema.net

Song Jae-rim from "Unkind Women" had an interview with E Today.

He said, "Kim Hye-ja taught me a lot and so did the others".

Song Jae-rim said, "She told me I sound like Ruo when I talk a certain way and she encouraged me a lot. She practiced her lines over and over again on the set and the staff all cheered for her".

"She heard the staff joking with a younger actor saying, 'don't you want to act like that? When are you going to grow up to be like Kim Hye-ja?' and Kim Hye-ja said, there was an age to act a certain way and that it was the right thing".

Song Jae-rim further continued, "Kim Hye-ja didn't forget her past but she's been building the emotions that came to her with age. It seemed very humble and I learned that from her".

Meanwhile, "Unkind Women" ended in first place. It brought a whole new meaning to 'family drama' and connected with the entire age generation with its different characters.

• 1 month later...

June 21, 2015

The 20 Greatest South Korean Actors Working Today

BY HANAJUN CHUNG Taste of Cinema

In addition to writing a piece on the best, individual performances, this piece is meant to celebrate the best actors currently working in South Korean cinema. For this list, I chose 20 individuals—a mix of male and female. Most of these people had their start in television and some also work concurrently in both mediums. Don’t expect much young, hot talent from dramas since this is mostly going to feature actors from their work in film.

Furthermore, to provide a challenge, I ranked them based on their film roles (and little T.V.) I’ve seen and read regarding. You can possibly guess a few of the top spots, but I can guarantee that I didn’t include a name or two on the list that matches the sensibility of many readers. 

20. Gianna Jun (October 30, 1981)

Notable roles: “My Sassy Girl,” “Daisy,” “The Thieves”

19. Ryu Seung-beom (August 9, 1980)

Notable roles: “Crying Fist,” “The Berlin File,” “The Unjust,” “Bloody Ties,” “No Mercy”

18. Kim Hye-su (September 5, 1970)

Notable roles: “Tazza: The High Rollers,” “The Hypnotized,” “Kick the Moon,” “The Thieves”

17. Kim Yun-seok (January 21, 1968)

Notable roles: “The Chaser,” “The Thieves,” “Hwayi: The Monster Boy,” “The Yellow Sea”

16. Kim Yunjin (November 7, 1973)

Notable roles: “Ode to My Father,” “Harmony,” “Shiri,” “Seven Days,” “Heartbeat”

15. Ha Jung-woo (March 11, 1979 )

Notable roles: “The Yellow Sea,” “The Terror Live,” “The Berlin File,” “Nameless Gangster”

14. Han Hyo-joo (February 22, 1987)

Notable roles: “Always,” “Masquerade,” “Cold Eyes”

13. Lee Byung-hun (July 12, 1970)

Notable roles: “A Bittersweet Life,” “J.S.A.: Joint Security Area,” “I Saw the Devil”

12. Jeong Jae-yeong (November 21, 1971)

Notable roles: “Broken,” “Confession of Murder,” “Castaway on the Moon,” “Silmido”

11. Yoon Yeo-jeong (June 19, 1947)

Notable roles: “The Taste of Money,” “The Housemaid,” “Hahaha,” “Actresses”

10. Doona Bae (October 11, 1979)

Notable roles: “A Girl at My Door,” “Cloud Atlas,” “The Host,” “Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance”

9. Moon So-ri (July 2, 1974)

Notable roles: “Peppermint Candy,” “Oasis,” “A Good Lawyer’s Wife,” “The President’s Barber”

8. Hwang Jeong-min (September 1, 1970)

Notable roles: “Ode to My Father,” “A Man Who Was Superman,” “New World,” “The Unjust”

7. Yun Jeong-hie (July 30, 1944)

Notable roles: “Poetry,” “Taebaek Mountain,” “Splendid Outing,” “Night Journey”

6. Kim Hye-ja (September 15, 1941)

Notable roles: “Mother,” “Lifetime in the Country”/“Country Diaries” (T.V.)

5. Sol Kyung-gu (May 1, 1968)

Notable roles: “Peppermint Candy,” “Public Enemy” series, “Cold Eyes,” “Silmido,” “Oasis”

4. Jeon Do-yeon (February 11, 1973)

Notable roles: “Secret Sunshine,” “Way Back Home,” “The Housemaid,” “Untold Scandal”

3. Song Kang-ho (January 17, 1967)

Notable roles: “The Host,” “J.S.A.: Joint Security Area,” “The Attorney,” “No. 3”

2. Ahn Sung-kee (January 1, 1952)

Notable roles: “Silmido,” “Chilsu and Mansu,” “Unbowed,” “White Badge”

1. Choi Min-sik (April 27, 1962)

Notable roles: “Oldboy,” “Failan,” “I Saw the Devil,” “Crying Fist,” “Shiri”

• 3 months later...

October 22, 2015

[Los Angeles] CJ Entertainment Celebrates 20 Years of Korean Film History with Screenings November 5-7

photo645776.jpg

Conversations with Director Yoon Je-kyoon of "Ode to My Father" and Hwang Dong-hyeok of "Miss Granny" to follow screenings

Two special screenings of Bong Joon-ho films including premiere of Digitally remastered "Memories of Murder" and Rare showing of "Mother - 2009" in black and white.

This year marks the 20th anniversary of Asia's leading studio CJ Entertainment, the signature film division of major media and content company CJ E&M. To commemorate this milestone, the studio will be rolling out some of the most beloved films in their library over the course of three days (November 5 – 7) at CGV Cinemas (621 Western Ave) in Los Angeles, providing a complete picture of CJ Entertainment's success as they close out their first two decades. Since 1995, CJ Entertainment has been at the forefront of the Korean entertainment industry and a catalyst for South Korea's industry presence globally.  

Two of Korea's most important and influential directors will be in attendance at the celebration: Yoon Je-kyoon director of "Ode to My Father", and Hwang Dong-hyeok, director of "Miss Granny". The esteemed directors will field questions from the audience following the screenings of their respective films. Yoon Je-kyoon's, "Ode to My Father", was the 2nd most watched Korean film and made among top 10 highest grossing foreign films in 2014 in North America. "Ode to my Father", the story of a man and his family whose epic life is intertwined with Korean history after escaping from the North will open the festival, and "Miss Granny", a quirky tale of an elderly woman who gets to relive being twenty years old again, will play on the closing night.

One of the festival highlights will be the newly remastered "Memories of Murder", the critically acclaimed psychological thriller from internationally renowned auteur Bong Joon-ho ("The Host", "Snowpiercer"). Festivalgoers who are fans of Director BONG are also in for a double treat as "Celebrating 20 Years of Korean Film History" Presented by CJ Entertainment will offer them the rare opportunity to see the chilling mystery, "Mother - 2009" converted into black and white. This version has only been shown to the public a small handful of times before this festival.

Screening Schedule: "Celebrating 20 Years of Korean Film History"

November 5
- 7:00 pm – "Ode to My Father" ** – Amid the time of Korean War, a young boy's vow to take care of his family marked the beginning of a lifelong promise spanning 60 years.
- 10:15 pm – "Haeundae" – An underwater earthquake triggers a tsunami that devastates a South Korean resort town.

November 6
- 5:00 pm – "Mother" (B/W) – A mother desperately searches for the killer who framed her son for a girl's horrific murder.
- 7:45 pm – "Thirst" - Through a failed medical experiment, a priest is stricken with vampirism and is forced to abandon his ascetic ways.
- 10:30 pm – "Masquerade" – Though it places his own life in danger, a look-alike commoner (Lee Byung-hun) secretly takes the place of a poisoned king to save his country from falling into chaos.

November 7
- 10:00 am – "The Unjust" – Three women fight for justice in three Asian countries despite threats of death.
- 12:30 am – "Memories of Murder" – Based on the true story of the Korea's first serial murder in history, which took place between 1986 and 1991 in Hwaseong, Gyeonggi Province. Song Kang-ho and KIM Sang-kyungstar as Detective Park and Detective Seo, respectively, two of the detectives trying to solve the crimes.
- 3:15 pm – "The Admiral: Roaring Currents" – In 1597, Korean Adm. Yi leads 12 warships into the Battle of Myeong-Nyang against the formidable Japanese navy.
- 5:50 pm – "Miss Granny" ** – An elderly woman (Nah Moon-hee) regains her youthful appearance, changes her name and embarks on a quest for happiness.

** Director will take the stage for a special Q&A session following the screening.

For more information on "Celebrating 20 Years of Korean Film History" Presented by CJ Entertainment, please visit:www.cj-entertainment.com.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

November 21, 2015

Movie “How to Steal a Dog” Wins Golden Elephant Award in India

Source: Soompi by kiddy_nights

Movie “How to Steal a Dog” Wins Golden Elephant Award in India

Movie “How to Steal a Dog” won the Golden Elephant Award in the Asian Panorama category in the ninteenth International Children’s Film Festival of India. Um Yong Hun, the CEO of the producing company, who attended a different festival, the Daejong Awards, said through his social media website, “At the exact moment when our movie was not getting an award at the Daejong Awards, we heard that we won the Golden Elephant Award through Twitter.”

However, Um Yong Hun was still thrilled by the Korean audience, saying, “I was ecstatic at the reaction that I saw from the audience, who laughed, cried, and applauded. We got a standing ovation at the end of the movie.” He said, “This is a movie in which the father does not appear even once, but he is still the main character. He always watches out for his family’s happiness, and I dedicated this movie to all the fathers and the children of the world.”

“How to Steal a Dog” is about a girl who lives in a trailer with his mother and her younger sibling, who tries to steal a dog in order to find a house, as their father has lost their house through a failed business. Kim Hye Ja, Lee Chun Hee, Kang Hye Jung, and Choi Min Soo are among the actors.

Source (1)

• 2 weeks later...

December 2, 2015

Park Chan-wook tops revenge chart

Source: The Korea Times

Spoiler

Untitled-15-650.jpg
Untitled-16-650.jpg
Untitled-17-650.jpg

From top, scenes from "Sympathy from Mr. Vengeance" (2002), "Oldboy" (2003) and "Lady Vengeance"

Film director Park Chan-wook has topped an American movie-ranking website's chart for the best Korean revenge movies, with his "vengeance trilogy."

Website "Taste of Cinema" posted "The 10 Best South Korean Revenge Movies."

Topping the list was Park's trilogy "Sympathy from Mr. Vengeance" (2002), "Oldboy" (2003) and "Lady Vengeance" (2005).

Park is a frequent guest at prominent global film festivals such as the Cannes Film Festival with "Thirst" in 2009 and the Berlin Film Festival with "Night Fishing" in 2011.

Park's films portray brutal vengeance by a main character.

Untitled-18-650.jpg  
From left, posters for "I Saw the Devil" (2010), "Mother" (2009), "The Man from Nowhere" (2010) and "Pieta"

In "Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance," Song Kang-ho played a vengeful protagonist, while Choi Min-sik and Lee Young-ae each played a similar role in "Oldboy" and "Lady Vengeance," respectively.

Calling Park "the master of revenge," the website explains that the characters"are victims of a series of circumstances that soon become their own collection of tragedies."

On a news program on CBS Radio on Wednesday, actress Lee Jung-hyun, who won the Best Actress Award for "Alice in Earnestland" at the Blue Dragon Awards on Nov. 26, said Park had strongly encouraged her to take the role.

Park's trilogy was followed in order by "I Saw the Devil" (2010), "Mother" (2009), "The Man from Nowhere" (2010) and "Pieta" (2012). 

aoshima11@ktimes.com

December 1, 2015

HOW TO STEAL A DOG Snaps Prize in India
Awarded at 19th International Children’s Film Festival India

by Pierce Conran / KoBiz

XPdPwLyhpuCHBFfXBhjZ.png

KIM Sung-ho’s family film How To Steal A Dog has picked the Best Feature Film prize from the Asian Panorama section of the International Children’s Film Festival India, which ended its 19th edition on November 20th in Hyderabad. The film was one of three from Korean screening at the event, along with animation The Satellite Girl and Milk Cow and humanitarian omnibus If You Were Me 6.

Based on the book by Barbara O’Connor, How To Steal A Dog features a young girl who lives in a small truck after her mother falls on hard times. Mistakenly thinking she can buy a home for USD 5,000, she and her friend hatch a scheme to kidnap a dog and hold it for a ransom.

Playing the owner of the targeted canine is KIM Hye-ja, who drew international acclaim following her leading role in BONG Joon-ho’s Mother (2009). Old Boy (2003)'s GANG Hye-jung is also featured as the mother. Most recently participating in omnibuses such as Horror Stories II (2013) and Modern Family (2012), director KIM Sung-ho previously made the Korean horror Into the Mirror (2003), among other films.

Initially released in Korea in December last year, How To Steal A Dog initially fared poorly at the box office because of the limited number of screens and showtimes, but ultimately it garnered over 300,000 admissions (USD 2 million), due to word of mouth and favorable comments.

January 10, 2015

[HanCinema's Film Review] "A Perfect Way to Steal a Dog"

Source: Hancinema.net

photo550577.jpg
From a literal perspective, "A Perfect Way to Steal a Dog" is just a kid's heist movie. What's surprising and particularly joyful about the product is the way it works very serious personal and societal issues into this simple concept, creating a complex tapestry that puts most similarly minded adult films to shame. Usually the ragtag band of thieves is just interested in using their ill-gotten cash to buy shiny baubles. By contrast, Ji-so (played by Lee Re) wants a home, so she doesn't have to live in her mom's car like a homeless person.

As serious as the situation sounds, because the story is portrayed from Ji-so's perspective, the result is less a sob story and more a tale about the frustrations of growing up. Ji-so is ashamed of her living situation mainly because of the abandonment issues. A brief adventure in a condemned house, while obviously dangerous, really comes off more as comical than anything else. Jeong-hyeon (played by Kang Hye-jeong) is just a clueless parent who doesn't understand how anything works.

Neither does Ji-so, for that matter. Note the meticulous efforts Ji-so goes through with her friend Chae-rang (played by Lee Ji-won-I), all for the sake of finding the perfect dog-stealing method. And yet Ji-so accidently exposes her plan to several other characters, nearly resulting in tragedy except that the dog-stealing plan was a pretty dumb one in the first place. And this is a kid's story. "A Perfect Way to Steal a Dog" may have some stark grim seriousness going on about homelessness, but it's not going to end that terribly.

The meaningful growth Ji-so goes through is realizing that other people feel the same pain she does. And dogs, too. Pay particular note to the heartbreaking conversations Ji-so has with adults. At one point Ji-so has to tell an elaborate lie to keep the plan going forward- yet the very fact that she has to lie in the first place makes the little girl realize that even adults have their own pain and insecurity.

The warmth of the story is further emphasized by the strength of the cast, who even in brief bit performances manage to become wholly defined, sympathetic, human characters with clearly defined motivation. This is especially impressive considering the diversity of their resumes. Kim Hye-ja, Choi Min-soo, and Lee Hong-gi all in the same movie? All turning in excellent bit performances as peripheral characters with essential relevance to Ji-so's emotional journey? That's just crazy! And don't get me started on the dog...

I don't know how writer / director Kim Seong-ho managed to pull this project together, but I am immensely thankful for the effort. "A Perfect Way to Steal a Dog" is a solid reminder that just because a film is aimed at a young audience doesn't require it to be bereft of emotional sincerity. This is the kind of subtle beauty we need to see at the cinema more often- a family film where a low-budget chase through a park on a jalopy is really all the excitement we need. This is the kind of life we can aspire to, and you know what? Having a home really is as amazing as Ji-so thinks. Just not for the reasons she assumes at first.

Review by William Schwartz

"A Perfect Way to Steal a Dog" is directed by Kim Seong-ho and features Kim Hye-ja, Lee Re, Choi Min-soo, Kang Hye-jeong, Lee Cheon-hee, Lee Ji-won-I and Hong Eun-taek.

Archived