rubie

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

May 2, 2019

Winners Of The 55th Baeksang Arts Awards

Source: Soompi by J. K

Winners Of The 55th Baeksang Arts Awards

The 55th Baeksang Arts Awards celebrated some of the best of this year’s television and film!

The award ceremony held on May 1 in Seoul was attended by many of Korea’s top stars. Shin Dong Yup, Suzy, and Park Bo Gum took on the role of hosts again for the night.

The Grand Prizes went to Jung Woo Sung in the film category for his performance in “Innocent Witness” and Kim Hye Ja in the television category for her work in the JTBC drama “Radiant.”

Lee Byung Hun of “Mr. Sunshine” received the Best Actor award for television and Yum Jung Ah took home the Best Actress award for television for her performance in “Sky Castle.”

In the film category, the Best Actor award went to Lee Sung Min for “The Spy Gone North” and Han Ji Min was recognized once again for her work in “Miss Baek” when she received the Best Actress award.

Check out the full list of winners below!

Television categories:

Grand Prize: Kim Hye Ja (JTBC’s “Radiant”)
Best Drama: tvN’s “My Ahjussi”
Best Variety Show: MBC’s “Omniscient Interfering View”
Best Cultural Program: KBS’s “Journalism Talk Show J”
Best Director: Cho Hyun Tak (JTBC’s “Sky Castle”)
Best Script: Park Hae Young (“My Ahjussi”)
Art Award: Park Sung Jin (tvN’s “Memories of the Alhambra”)
Best Actor: Lee Byung Hun (tvN’s “Mr. Sunshine”)
Best Actress: Yum Jung Ah (“Sky Castle”)
Best Supporting Actor: Kim Byung Chul (“Sky Castle”)
Best Supporting Actress: Lee Jung Eun (“Radiant”)
Best New Actor: Jang Ki Yong (MBC’s “Come and Hug Me”)
Best New Actress: Kim Hye Yoon (“Sky Castle”)
Best Male Variety Star: Jun Hyun Moo (MBC’s “I Live Alone”)
Best Female Variety Star: Lee Young Ja (“Omniscient Interfering View”)

Film categories:

Grand Prize: Jung Woo Sung (“Innocent Witness”)
Best Film: “The Spy Gone North”
Best Director: Kang Hyung Chul (“Swing Kids”)
Best New Director: Lee Ji Won (“Miss Baek”)
Art Award: Hong Kyung Pyo (“Burning”)
Best Script: Kwak Kyung Taek, Kim Tae Kyun (“Dark Figure of Crime”)
Best Actor: Lee Sung Min (“The Spy Gone North”)
Best Actress: Han Ji Min (“Miss Baek”)
Best Supporting Actor: Kim Joo Hyuk (“Believer”)
Best Supporting Actress: Kwon So Hyun (“Miss Baek”)
Best New Actor: Kim Young Kwang (“On Your Wedding Day”)
Best New Actress: Lee Jae In (“SVAHA: The Sixth Finger”)

Additional awards:

Best Short Play: Sung Soo Yeon (“Actress-1: National Robot Actress 1”)
V Live Popularity Award (Male): EXO’s D.O.
V Live Popularity Award (Female): IU
Style Icon Award: Kim Hye Soo

Congratulations to all the winners!

Source (1) (2)

May 2, 2019

Veteran actress Kim Hye-ja wins grand prize at Baeksang Awards

SEOUL, May 2 (Yonhap) -- Veteran actress Kim Hye-ja won the grand prize in the television category at this year's Baeksang Arts Awards on Wednesday for her work in the time travel drama "Radiant."

It is the fourth time that the 77-year old has clinched Baeksang's highest honor. She first won the award in 1979.

In the drama that aired in February, Kim played the part of a woman who loses her youth and travels through time to meet a man who throws away the brightest days of his life by living a listless life. She starred in the drama along with Han Ji-min and Nam Joo-hyuk.

The drama "My Mister" received the best drama and script awards, while mega-hit "Sky Castle" garnered four prizes, including the best director award.

Veteran actress Kim Hye-ja smiles at the Baeksang Arts Awards held in Seoul on May 1, 2019. (Yonhap)

Veteran actress Kim Hye-ja smiles at the Baeksang Arts Awards held in Seoul on May 1, 2019. (Yonhap)

The best actor award went to Lee Byung-hun of "Mr. Sunshine," and the best actress award was given to Yum Jung-ah of "Sky Castle."

In the film category at the Baeksang Arts Awards, meanwhile, Jung Woo-sung won the grand prize for his performance in "Innocent Witness."

"The Spy Gone North" was awarded the best film prize, while the best director award went to "Swing Kids."

Lee Sung-min of "The Spy Gone North" and Han Ji-min of "Miss Baek" received the best actor and actress awards, respectively.

Launched in 1965, the Baeksang Arts Awards are one of the highest honors in TV and film in South Korea.

brk@yna.co.kr

May 3, 2019

Stars shine at annual Baeksang Art Awards: Actors Kim Hye-ja and Jung Woo-sung were granted top honors

Source: INSIDE Korea JoongAng Daily // HanCinema.net

02204452.jpg
From left, actors Lee Byung-hun, Yum Jung-ah, Kim Hye-ja, Jung Woo-sung, Lee Sung-min and Han Ji-min, all winners at the 55th Baeksang Arts Awards, pose for photos after the ceremony. Kim and Jung each received the Grand Prize - Kim for television and Jung for film. [ILGAN SPORTS]

Wednesday was a big night for the film “The Spy Gone North” and the tvN show “My Mister,” which both took home top honors at the 55th Baeksang Arts Awards, which was held at Coex in Gangnam District, southern Seoul. 

As for the top awards for actors, the veteran actress Kim Hye-ja received the Grand Prize for actors in the television division, while “Innocent Witness” star Jung Woo-sung won in the film division. 

Both actors seemed to be stunned when their names were called and the audience exploded in applause for them while they walked to the stage to accept their awards. It was Kim’s fourth time receiving the prestigious award - she took her first in 1979. 

photo1058557.jpg

In the series “Radiant,” Kim plays an old lady in her 70s who is surprised by her suddenly aged appearance because she swears that she was in her mid-20s yesterday. As the story unfolds, it turns out she is suffering from Alzheimer’s disease, a startling plot twist for viewers. 

Kim said that she was truly unprepared to make a speech, but she came to the ceremony with a page from the script of the last episode of the show. She read, “To all who are struggling in their lives, as you were born into this world, you deserve to have it all every day. Whether you have a normal day, doing nothing particularly great, it does not matter, because your life is worth living. Do not let your past, full of regrets, and your anxious future ruin your day. Live for today.” 

The prize for Best Director went to Kang Hyung-chul, who directed “Swing Kids,” while the film awards for Best Actress and Actor went to Han Ji-min from “Miss Baek” and Lee Sung-min for his role in the film “The Spy Gone North,” respectively. 

Best Screenplay went to “Dark Figure of Crime,” which is based on a real case about a serial killer who committed seven murders. Yet the detectives have a hard time investigating the crimes due to a lack of evidence and due to the statute of limitations. 

As for the television series, although the mega-hit JTBC’s “SKY Castle” failed to clutch the award for Best Drama, four actors from the show went home with awards. Yum Jung-ah received the Best Actress award, while Best Supporting Actor went to Kim Byung-chul, and Kim Hye-yoon for Best New Actress. 

The anticipation for the final episodes of “SKY Castle” was so intense that scripts for episodes 17 and 18 were leaked online, much to the dismay of the show’s producer. But it came as no surprise when Jo Hyun-tak was named Best Director for a TV Series. 

Best Actor, on the other hand, went to Lee Byung-hun for his portrayal of a Korean U.S. Marine Corps officer during the Japanese colonial era in tvN’s “Mr. Sunshine.” Lee thanked his fellow cast and his wife Rhee Min-jung for “always being there for him and cheering him on although he wasn’t home much while the shooting [of the drama]”

The MBC show “Omniscient Interfering View,” which features assistants talking about their famous bosses, won Best Entertainment Program. Best Variety Performer awards went to Lee Young-ja for her role on the show, while Jun Hyun-moo received the prize for MBC’s “I Live Alone.” His win was deemed a surprise by many because the host is no longer part of the show due to his break up with co-host Han Hye-jin. 

Both stars quit the show soon after news of their separation broke in March. 

JTBC Plus and Ilgan Sports were the organizers of the annual ceremony, which was hosted by comedian Shin Dong-yup, actor Park Bo-gum and singer-turned-actor Suzy for the second consecutive year. 

BY LEE JAE-LIM [lee.jaelim@joongang.co.kr]

Remember the clip showing Ms. Kim Hye Ja conversing with her juniors - Lee Byung Hun, Jung Woo Sung, Kim Min Jung and Yoo Yeon Seok?

Here's the capture from another angle, featuring our Ms. Radiant & Dazzling. :wub:

Source: YeoNiverse

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

June 7, 2019

Actress Kim Hye-ja says her past remark did not aim for #MeToo movement

optimize
Director Bong Joon-Ho, second from the right, poses with actress Kim Hye-Ja, second from the left, prior to the screening of the movie "Taking Woodstock" at the 62nd Cannes International Film Festival in France in this May 16, 2009 file photo. Won Bin, left, and Jin Goo are also captured in the photo. Yonhap

By Jung Hae-myoung The Korea Times

Veteran actress Kim Hye-ja, 78, said she was quoted out of context in her past remarks regarding the award-winning director Bong Joon-ho, denying the allegation that she is a victim of sexual misconduct. 

In an interview with local daily Chousun Ilbo released on Wednesday, Kim said her remarks during the guest visit for the screening of Bong's 2009 film "Mother" was not accusing anybody of sexual harassment and she had no intention to hurt the director, either.

Her remarks came as a controversy erupted belatedly regarding actor Won Bin going off script in "Mother." In the film, Won placed his hand on Kim's breast which was not included in the initial script. 

Earlier, Kim stated that Bong told actor Won Bin to touch Kim's breast, without informing Kim in advance. 

"I did not lie when I was filming "Mother." I cannot believe people are thinking so low of the actors. How can they think like that?" Kim Hye-ja blasted some Internet users for spreading assumptions about her intention. 

"The woman sleeps without taking off her clothes, including her socks, because she is so worried her son, who has a mental illness, might cause trouble. Some people alleged that director Bong and actor Won conspired to sexually harass me, which is ridiculous," she added. 

The incident started when Kim Hye-ja and Bong Joon-ho joined the "Guest Visit" for the black and white version of the film "Mother" on May 9. Answering questions from the audiences, Kim said Won Bin came into the bed and touched her breast, which was not originally in the script. Kim said she "stayed still" thinking "there must be a reason behind his action." 

Her remarks caused a stir on the internet as some raised suspicions that Kim was claiming she was a victim of sexual misconduct under the guise of filming. 

In a statement released on Wednesday, Barunson Enter & Arts, the production company for Bong's newest film "Parasite," said the company checked with the veteran actress and she told the agency that she had forgotten about the direction given by Bong prior to filming the scene. 

According to the production company, Bong did not try to challenge Kim regarding her remarks on the spot because he didn't want Kim to be embarrassed. 

"Director Bong said 'Do-joon (Won Bin) might touch your breast' and I thought that a boy with mental illness could touch his mother's breast while she is asleep," Kim said. 

The actress said she had no good reason to accuse the director of a deed that occurred 10 years ago. "I think there could be some people who misunderstood what I said," she said. 

"I made a slip of the tongue while trying to entertain the audience."

Yet experts say it is necessary that Bong needs to acknowledge his faults. 

"Some points she made are still problematic," Hwang Jin-mi, a culture critic said. She pointed out the director should accept both his faults and achievement. 

"I agree Bong should be praised for what he did to improve the working conditions of actors and staff members. He signed a standard labor contract with the staff and abided by the shortened working hours while shooting films," she said in a media interview. 

However, the critic said, "There are still suspicions remaining. It is not clear whether or not Kim was aware of the sexual misconduct when that happened or whether she tried to cover it up because she didn't want to rock the boat." 

"So, the issue needs to be discussed further before concluding whether there was sexual misconduct or not," she said. 

Still others argue Kim needs to admit her mistake, as it is not a laughing matter.

The point that Kim explained in her statement as a "lapse in memory" and the fact that she "laughed off" the incident can be compared to many sexual victims are not able to accuse or report their sexual predators because they struggle to find words to describe their experience.

"I assume the film industry back then was different from today, so very few people would have thought that what she went through was sexual misconduct," one twitter user wrote.

"Although this could be a personal distress for actor Kim Hye-ja, many women are going through the similar sexual misconduct and suffer from the traumatic experience." 

Bong Joon-ho won the Palme d'Or at the 2019 Cannes Film Festival for his film "Parasite," on May 26. He is a well-acclaimed director in Korea and abroad for several films including "Okja," "Snowpiercer," and "The Host."

hmjung@koreatimes.co.kr 

June 7, 2019

Kim Hye-ja apologizes for creating controversy about Bong Joon-ho

Source: INSIDE Korea JoongAng Daily

Director Bong Joon-ho and actor Kim Hye-ja have been caught up in a controversy after an interview of the two held after a special anniversary screening of the 2009 film “Mother” on May 9 made its way online. In the interview, Kim mentions that there was a scene in the film where her breasts were touched without her consent. 

Yet on Wednesday, Kim and the film’s production company, Barunson Entertainment, said that the comment was a misunderstanding that arose due to a series of “false reports.” 

In a phone interview with the Chosun Ilbo on Wednesday evening, Kim expressed how tormented she felt after the situation got out of hand. 

“I said it just to add a little entertainment to the story, I’m so sorry to both Won Bin and Bong.” Kim emphasized that she was notified about the scene beforehand and that she and Bong were already planning to do another film together. 

In the interview held after the screening of “Mother,” Kim talked about her experience on the set of the film. 

“There is a scene where Won Bin tells Jin Goo ‘I sleep with my mom,’” Kim said. “Then when he sleeps alongside me that night, he suddenly touches my breast.” The actor said she was startled because there was no mention of the touching in the script, and the director did not tell her about it as well. 

“I thought, ‘There must have been a reason,’ and when I asked about it later, Won Bin told me that Bong told him to do it.” 

In a statement, Barunson Entertainment said, “After checking with Kim, the actor said that her memory took a wrong turn.” 

The company further explained that Kim was in fact told about the scene beforehand, when director said, “Do-jun [played by Won Bin] might lay a hand on his mother’s breast,” and she replied that “Why not, an underdeveloped son can touch his mother’s breast while he sleeps.” 

According to the statement, Bong did not correct Kim on the spot out of fear he might embarrass her. 

After Bong won the Palme d’Or at this year’s Cannes Film Festival, a number of controversial interview clips and comments that Bong had said to the press have been circulating on social media.

May 2, 2019

"The Light in Your Eyes" Kim Hye Ja's Baeksang Arts Awards Speech Makes Everyone Cry

Source: TopStarNews via HanCinema.net

photo1058945.jpg

"The Light in Your Eyes" actress Kim Hye-ja won Grand Prize in Drama. The 55th Baeksang Arts Awards was held on the 1st on JTBC. The Film Award went to "The Spy Gone North" and Drama Award went to "My Mister".

The Grand Prize in Drama went to actress Kim Hye-ja who was favorably reviewed for her outstanding performance in "The Light in Your Eyes". Kim Hye-ja said, "I didn't know I'd win a prize". Still, she wrote down some lines from the drama 'in case' she did win something. Kim Hye-ja's speech made everyone cry. Kim Hye-ja repeated the final narration from the drama once again. 

"My life was sometimes happy and sometimes not. Although life is merely a dream, I was happy to be able to live it. The cold air in the morning, the breeze that comes before the flowers bloom, the smell of dusk... There wasn't a single day that wasn't dazzling. Life may be tough, but everyone alive has the right to enjoy everything that life has to give. Even if today is just ordinary, and the next one is just ordinary too, life is worth living. Don't waste the present with regrets of the past and worries of the future. Live today, dazzlingly. You deserve it. To all of those who were a mom, a sister, a daughter, and yourself".

Meanwhile, "The Light in Your Eyes" was written by Lee Nam-gyoo, Kim Su-jin, produced by Kim Seok-yoon and starred by Kim Hye-ja, Han Ji-min, Nam Joo-hyuk and Son Ho-jun. The drama ended with a record breaking viewing percentage of 9.731%.

• 5 weeks later...

July 11, 2019

Favorite films come to life in Lotte Annual Art Project

Source: INSIDE Korea JoongAng Daily // CINE21

While organizers of the film industries are hosting various events to celebrate the 100th anniversary of the birth of Korean Cinema, Lotte Annual Art Project (LAAP) will also celebrate it with style. 

The project is in second year to host simultaneous exhibitions in Lotte galleries across the country under one unifying theme. Last year was fashion, and this year is films under the title of “Behind the Scenes.” Added atop with director Bong Joon-ho’s achievement of winning the Palme d’Or for “Parasite,” the project had singled out films as an important part of local popular culture. 

[FEATURE 㣠Korean Movie lOO Anniversary Review] There is no expiration date for the questions left by the film. _ 100 Movies by 100 Korean contemporary artists to reinterpret the scenes of Korean movies in a sensible way. > From the exhibition, we introduce carefully selected works of collaboration and art work of film and art that can be encountered at Lotte Gallery all over the country from the exhibition to the Omaju exhibition of the movie "Grand Budapest Hotel" of Wes Anderson.  ð§ð» â ï¸ ï¸ ï¸ ï¸ ï¸ ï¸ ï¸ ï¸ ï¸ ï¸ ï¸ ï¸ ï¸ ï¸ ï¸ ï¸ ï¸ ï¸ ï¸ ï¸ ï¸ ï¸ ï¸ ï¸ ï¸ ï¸ ï¸ ï¸ ï¸ ï¸ ï¸ ï¸ ï¸ ï¸ ï¸ ï¸ ï¸ ï¸ ï¸ ï¸ ï¸ ï¸ ï¸ ï¸ ï¸ ï¸ ï¸ ï¸ ï¸ ï¸ ï¸ ï¸ ï¸ ï¸ ï¸ ï¸ Christmas # Mother # Joint Security Area JSA # Parasite # Grand Budapest Hotel

“Through this project, we wanted to provide the viewers [of the exhibitions] a space to talk about their most memorable scenes in films,” art director of the Lotte Gallery Kim Hyun-kyung said as she explained the motive behind the exhibitions at the press conference on Friday. “Usually when we watch films, we are only left with feelings or memories of the scenes. So we wanted the viewers to remanence and share with others the special moments or powerful emotions they’ve experienced while watching films through the artist’s works.”

At the Jamsil branch, eastern Seoul, artworks of 100 contemporary artists are displayed in the area which reinterpret their favorite cinematic scenes across canvas. Moreover, the organizers asked film-related collectors such as Yang Hae-nam, Choi Kyu-sung and culture critic Choi Ji-woong to share their collections with the audience. Yang is an avid collector of film posters, currently in possession of 2,400 posters from 1989. Choi is a graphic designer of film posters, postcards, archive books, and more and will share his works with the audience. Lastly, culture critic Choi collects the LPs and albums of the films’ original soundtracks. 

Besides Jamsil branch, other exhibitions are being held across total of 10 branches- four in Seoul, and each one at Incheon, Daejeon, Ilsan, Daegu, Gwangju and Busan. 

In Incheon, under the sub title of “Wes Anderson: Nostalgia,” the organizers want the audience to indirectly experience the scenes in the director’s representative work “The Grand Budapest Hotel” (2014) by recreating the scent that Gustave wears, the L’Air de Panache cologne, through the local brand Sutome Apothecary. Inside the gallery, the audience can also taste a whip of Mendl’s cake that also acts as a scene-stealer in the film. 

Other exhibitions include “Summer Cinema: Rho Jae Oon Project in Avenuel” held at the main branch in Myeong-dong, “Hidden Pictures in Cinema” in Yeongdeungpo, and Ilsan branch’s “Bric_Behind the Scenes.” All the exhibitions will be held until July 28. 

Spoiler

• 2 months later...

September 27, 2019

Industry Reps Vote On Top “Power People” Of Past 50 Years In Korean Entertainment

Source: Soompi by J. K

Spoiler

Industry Reps Vote On Top “Power People” Of Past 50 Years In Korean Entertainment

As the news outlet Ilgan Sports celebrates its 50th anniversary, it looked back on the history of Korean entertainment by putting together a list of “Power People” in the industry from the past half century.

Ilgan Sports conducted a survey of 100 insiders who are currently active in the entertainment industry, including producing directors, directors, representatives from agencies and production companies, and more. Each respondent chose five “Power People” that lit up the entertainment industry over the past 50 years, and the list was put together using their results.

Check out the Top 20 below!

1. (Tie) Cho Yong Pil, Bong Joon Ho — 46 points
3. (Tie) Seo Tae Ji, BTS — 40 points
5. Lee Soo Man — 35 points
6. (Tie) Kim Soo Hyun (writer), Na Young Suk — 23 points
8. (Tie) Kim Eun Sook, Song Kang Ho — 22 points
10. Yoo Jae Suk — 19 points
11. Ahn Sung Ki — 17 points
12. Im Kwon Taek — 16 points
13. Park Chan Wook — 15 points
14. Kim Tae Ho — 11 points
15. Kim Jong Hak — 10 points
16. Kim Hye Ja — 9 points
17. (Tie) Lee Mi Kyung, Lee Ju Il — 7 points
19. Lee Byung Hun — 6 points
20. Bae Yong Joon – 5 points

Source (1) (2) (3)

Top Photo Credit: Xportsnews

• 1 month later...

October 31, 2019

Soompi article: related excerpt only

Koreans Surveyed On Their Favorite Artists, Actors, And More

On October 31, Gallup Korea released the results of a survey held on famous figures loved by Koreans. Gallup previously held this same survey in 2004 and 2014.

This year, 1,700 people ages 13 and above located all around the country were surveyed from May 9 through 25. Of the participants, 845 were men, and 855 were women. There were 113 participants between the ages of 13 and 18, 274 between 19 and 29, 267 in their 30s, 312 in their 40s, 318 in their 50s, and 415 who were at least 60 years old. Quota sampling was used to choose these participants based on registered residents according to the Ministry of Public Administration and Security as of January 2019.

The margin of error is ±2.4 percent at the 95 percent confidence level.

note1.gif Next, respondents were asked to name their favorite television actor.

The top responses are as follows (with each actor’s debut year in parentheses):

1. Choi Bool Am (1967) – 5.4 percent
2. Kim Hye Ja (1963) – 4.2 percent
3. Park Bo Gum (2011) – 3.6 percent
4. Gong Yoo (2001) – 3.0 percent
5. Song Hye Kyo (1996) – 3.0 percent
6. Lee Soon Jae (1956) – 2.9 percent
7. Go Doo Shim (1972) – 2.7 percent
8. Choi Soo Jong (1987) – 2.5 percent
9. Song Joong Ki (2008) – 1.7 percent
10. Jun Ji Hyun (1997) – 1.5 percent

Source (1) (2)

Photo Source = Official website of each star, appearance program stills

November 6, 2019

2019 Proves JTBC as Drama Kingdom

Source:  Joynews via HanCinema.net

photo1120050.jpg

JTBC dramas showed strength in the year 2019, starting with"SKY Castle", which is famous for the line "Can you handle it?" and caused a sensation in the year 2019, as well as "Be Melodramatic", which targeted the 20-40 viewer age range.

According to surveys, "SKY Castle" is the Best Drama of 2019 with 64 votes, "The Light in Your Eyes" comes next with 38 votes and "Be Melodramatic" is last with 26 votes. What draws attention is that they are all jTBC dramas. JTBC has proved its reputation as the Drama Kingdom.

The jTBC Drama Headquarters told Joy News 24 that they are thankful to those who picked jTBC and watched its dramas. Despite other great dramas from other broadcasting stations, they are overwhelmed by the results and entirely thankful.

These results reflect the high trust the viewers have in jTBC. JTBC has been broadcasting dramas of solid quality and unique fun, therefore increasing the trust the viewers have in the station.

The jTBC DHQ says, "It's hard to predict the viewers' reactions in the process of making the drama, so we're always careful. Regardless of source and variety there is a bond within the company, to encourage diverse creators' diverse creativity. We have been able to form an identity not only thanks to the dramas with high viewing rates, but also thanks to dramas with other merits".

"SKY Castle", which was the most voted for, killed two birds with one stone by gaining high viewing percentage and popularity, causing a 'Castle syndrome'. In the SKY Castle where 0.1% of the rich live together, "SKY Castle" is a real-comic satirical drama that takes a close look at the gruesome desires of wives from wealthy families who want to raise their husbands as kings and their children as princes and princesses. It started off with 1%, but ended with 23%, and every episode created a famous line and scene. The drama created 'life characters' for the cast and even when the character Hye-na (Kim Bo-ra) died, there was an issue with the spoiler about the killer.

"SKY Castle" started weak, but ended with pride, and it's a rare case of a 'successful drama' in the drama industry, according to jTBC DHQ. "The intensity of the entrance exam war between children from the 0.1% of the rich, the solid scenario, the performance of the cast, and the unique atmospheric sensitivity of the drama helped to create intense immersion. The desire that everyone has to a certain extent also matched with the adult female viewers".

"As for the Drama Headquarters, the high viewer ratings that no one expected gave a boost of confidence and inspiration for a new project, but on the other hand, the recorded ratings will not easily be exceeded for the time being, which also gives an opportunity for a new beginning".

photo1120052.jpg

"The Light in Your Eyes", which came in second place, is about a woman who loses all her time before she can use it up and a man who gives up all of his radiant moments and lives a lethargic life. It stars Han Ji-min, Kim Hye-ja, Nam Joo-hyuk, Ahn Nae-sang and Lee Jung-eun. Their perfect performance in the drama earned it the title 'an unforgettable drama' and Kim Hye-ja was chosen the 'Best Drama Actress of 2019'.

JTBC DHQ commented, "The immersion for Kim Hye-ja's role was touching on its own. From the way she spoke as a woman in her 20s to an Alzheimer's patient in her 80s, the efforts she put into acting her whole life were reflected through this drama".

photo1120053.jpg

"Be Melodramatic", which came in 3rd place, stayed in the 1% ratings range the whole time, but it reflected PD Lee Byeong-heon-I's unique characteristics and the outstanding performance of the actors. The viewers absolutely loved the drama and even demanded the production of a second season. Even the cast members expressed that they wanted a second season. It was a chance to realize that viewing percentage isn't everything. The jTBC DHQ said, "We were quite surprised at the response we got. We feel the 'world of their own' displayed by the PD, the writer and the cast was realistic, lovely and even hopeful. However, being responsible for everything that goes on here, we cannot help but admit that we haven't been able to gain the support of the viewers. In the next opportunity, we will think of various ideas to make things more fun".

The criteria and goal of creating quality content by jTBC Drama Headquarters, which achieved good results in the year of 2019, is to first put priority on the trust and support of viewers. Second is the high-quality scripts and respecting the passion of the creators. Third is the colorful fun. "There are dramas with diverse material and genres planned for 2020", jTBC DHQ says. "Criticism from the viewers helps us grow, although slowly. We will make efforts to implement new imagination and creativity in the future".

Archived