Hana Yori Dango, Meteor Garden or Boys Before Flowers?

Guest ritahui

Guest blush

I agree that I have to finish BOF before chooseing, but so far the direction it's going, it seems like I'll love HYD too.

Wait, is there gonna be a BOF2? lol.

Anyway, generally it's because I think BOF was rushed or at least it seems so much more rushed than HYD.. and the actors look really tired! O_O Noticably tired. HYD, I can't remember if they looked that tired or not.. but overall I loved Makino x Tsukushi SO much more. I think Jun does a better job as the 'leader' than Lee Minho even if I think they're both adorable. ;D

And I think Shun does a better job as playing the Rui/Jihoo than KHJ.

Although the large amount of Jihoo x Jandi scenes ARE annoying.. I think it's a good twist. It's kind of annoying though because at this rate, it seems like the ending will SUCK whether or not Jun Pyo ends up with Jandi. well I think they will because they should stay true to the BOF story.. but yeah. >.>;

• Replies 437
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest strawberrynkiwi

Boys Over Flowers - I pick this as the best among three in terms of plot. Everything was so well-put together. If you read the manga and watched the different versions of the drama, you'd notice how smooth the flow is in here. Yeah, its the third one but come on, HYD and MG had their chance. Disregarding that fact, the story flow is really amazing indeed. My only con about the story is on how Jandi is always in a near death situation. XD

I enjoyed reading your analysis of each character even though I don't agree with most of them, but I totally understand where you are coming from.

EXCEPT this last part I really have to disagree. I have watched all the versions and read the manga. BOF DEFINITELY have the worst flow in storyline. First off, Jandi randomly delivers clothes to school, offends F4 and gets enrolled in the school. Makino was suppose to WANT to attend Eitoku, because she had a dream to support her family or what not. Jandi was randomly invited by Shinhwa people and then her parents gave her a push, so she listened and went. THAT alone proves that the story has no flow already, because it is already out of character for Makino and it just doesn't make sense.

There are also so many unnecessary parts in the BOF. It's not like once or twice, but its repeatedly. Like someone said before, the scene when Jihoo and JP cooks and they sucked. So they ended up getting someone to cook for them. What is the point in that? It's choppy and didn't support the storyline what-so-ever. (Sometime I actually think that BOF is to help advertise tourist places, like that island place, Macau, then the temple place that Jihoo and Jandi went to) Another and the only example I can remember is the part when Jihoo invited Jandi for pancakes and they are all happily eating pancakes at his house and next thing you know they are going on a trip to some island. Talk about lack of flow. Not only does it not follow the manga, but it doesn't have the same message as the manga. HYD didn't follow the manga, but they kept the essences of the story. BOF is totally evolving into something totally different, which has no correlation to the flow of the story at all. (I just think if I was Yoko Kamio, I would be so mad that they 'claim' to use my story, but totally go off track with it)

Just my take on it.

I am not going to vote yet, since BOF is not finished.

I will be back. lol

It's hard to decide actually, I'm stuck between HYD and BOF/BBF.

HYD is one of the best dramas I've ever seen, but BOF is pretty good too.

F4 - Leader

I like both Jun and Minho, they did a good job portraying the character.

F4 - 2

Oguri for sure, he really brought Rui to life. Hyunjoong is too dull and awkward for my liking.

F4 - 3

Kimbum - call me bias but he's just really cute.

F4 - 4

I like both Kimjoon and Tsuyoshi but I like the character Woobin more. He's so playful and just lovable.

Makino

Definitely Inoue Mao. She portrayed the character quite well. She has that plain and simple look just like how the character should be. Plus I love her toughness.

Drama

HYD hands down.

Guest trinity1418

Haha...yes...I was waiting to see if someone would start a thread like this! Well I just went and read everyone's posts and it was pretty interesting! Well here is how I voted and chose...

I was one of the few who chose Jerry Yan...it was hard to choose between him and Jun Matsumoto...but I eventually chose Jerry because I fell in love with his character right away. It took me a little longer to fall in love with Jun...maybe because I didn't think he looked the part at first. I'm not saying I find him unattractive but like his stature and build was not convincing me that everyone was scared of this guy. In MG...I was rooting for Daoming Si from the very beginning whereas in HYD...I wouldn't have mind Makino with Rui...haha...Jerry just had that vulnerability I guess that I liked...both Jerry and Jun played all sides of their character very well so it was a hard decision cause I love Jun too! In regards to LMH...I think he does a good job of portraying his character...he is adorkable and incredibly good looking but I couldn't choose him cause the Korean version ruined his character.

Ok I know this is just my opinion and please don't get offended but I will never understand how anyone can not choose Oguri Shun. Vic Zhou did nothing for me as Lei...I didn't hate him or anything...I was basically indifferent to him and his character. Like I felt he was just there to establish a love triangle...I found him rather bland so I didn't feel anything for him. Hyung Joong has the Vic Zhou thing going on...I don't really feel anything for his character cause he is kinda expressionless and just kind of there. To go from Oguri Shun to him was just not doing it for me. I freakin fell in love with Oguri Shun after HYD 2...I don't know what it is about that guy but he is just smexy!!! I mean even in terms of looks...he isn't all that but there is just something about him that makes me melt...like my heart will beat faster cause of him! Everything about his acting was right on...he just has this presence about him! I can't even explain it.

I chose Kimbum mostly because I felt most connected to him versus the other actors. Though I liked the other guys as well...I am loving Kimbum. I mean he is the only one in F4 who actually looks like he can be in high school, haha. He makes me understand how girls, even older girls, can be in love with him. Him and his killer smile! Though I'm not sure how much his story line with Gaeul affected my choice either since I freakin LOVE them together, haha.

Now I chose Woobin just because I am starting to adore him but I probably should have chosen Abe because I like that he can speak Mandarin...haha...and his character was pretty lovable in HYD but this character was always featured less in all 3 versions so I'm just kind of like...eh.

Ah...now the choice of the best female lead...this was also a hard decision between Barbie and Inoue...I loved both of them! They each had things that I liked better than the other ya know...but in the end I chose Inoue...and I'm not even sure why, haha. Maybe because she looked more youthful therefore fitting her character's description better. Its pretty much a tie so I'm just leaving it at that. In regards to GHS...I don't know what character she is portraying cause it certainly isn't Makino...I mean I really like GHS...I do...but since when does Makino whine and yell all the freakin time...there is a difference between bickering or yelling while in a fight but just always yelling "WHAT?" everytime he says your name...omigosh...so annoying!!! I can't put too much blame on GHS...the Kversion completely changed the core of her character.

Now on to the most important question...which version is the best? This again was a tough one between MG and HYD...it truly is a tie for me but since I had to choose...I chose HYD...mainly because its shorter. I mean both seasons of HYD was shorter than all of MG. HYD is easier to re-watch so that was the deciding factor for me. I just love both versions so much! I was fortunate to watch MG before HYD so I didn't have any expectations. I thought the first episode was awful but once I got past it...I really got into it! There are still scenes from MG that I love the most out of all versions. I think MG did the best job in terms of establishing the strong love between the two leads...like it was the most intense. Plus it had the best KISSING scenes...I mean HYD had like 2 when there were plenty of times they could have had more! Barbie and Jerry had really good chemistry as well! Obviously MG was lacking in terms of budget and acting experience...it was like the first time for everyone so you gotta give them some props for making the story believable when they had little or no acting experience.

Oh HYD...I won't say too much about this because most of you know how wonderful this series already is. I think this version did the best portraying Makino's relationship with F4...Makino became friends with all of them and it was nice seeing that camaraderie. Shigeru also kicks azz...haha. I loved that girl! Makino's family in this version was also the least annoying. I think the only disappointing thing in this version was lack of kissing scenes...I mean I wasn't asking for like 10 but cmon at least give us more than one per season...especially at the very end of the 2nd one...it was cute but that was it? I was so mad during the cabin scene...they were like 2 cm away from each others face and he pulls her in for a hug instead of kiss...wtf...haha...anyway enough about that.

Now onto the Kversion...this had SO MUCH potential but its sad to say that this is the worst out of the three. I am most disappointed in the chemistry! Jandi has no chemistry with JP or JH. I'm sorry but I just don't see it or feel it. I don't believe their love story at all. Everything is so choppy and forced. I don't really know who to blame. Nothing is balanced. The only thing saving this drama is the story of Yijeong and GaEul...they are far more interesting and KB and KSE have sizzling chemistry! Also...I hate what they did to Jandi's character! Um I thought the core of her character was that she is supposed to be a "weed"...she doesn't give up no matter how many time she is stepped on and she is strong. Um...how many times did Jandi have to be saved or rescued? She only did like 1 or 2 bold acts as far as I can remember. Most of you have already mentioned the other failures of this version so I'll stop here.

Sorry for the long post...I just wanted to vent a bit. ;)

Guest ashchronicles

i havent watch the korean version so i really cant say much..haha..

but i absolutely love the japanese version! HYD was not dragging at all..i love that about japanese drama..they get straight to the point^__^

i think jun is very suitable as domyouji..eventhough he looks waaay too skinny for any fight scene *i laughed at the fight scene in the movie..although jun looks cool..but hell, his kicks wouldnt even hurt a cat~~ :lol: in my point of view anyway*

i like hua zhe lei in meteor garden...so vic zhou and oguri shun both win in my book^^ not sure about kim hyung joong though..but been reading reviews that his interpritation of Rui sux~!

inoue mao is good too..but i've gotta say that i dont really like her as makino at first..coz of her looks..but then she's starting to grow on me..

Guest MizJudge.d

Honestly I fast-forward when watch BOF. First ep was boring so was the second the third and so on, there were so many unneccessary scenes that don't even contribute anything to the plot.

Hanadan !

as of now can't decide whether HYD or BOF...

HYD----the movie(finale) was really great for makino and tsukasa..they had a happy ending.. ;)

----soujiroh and yuki didn't have a nice ending..yuki was running after soujiroh <_<

BOF---- jandi anf junpyo...there love is so complicated at this moment...can't xplain their relationship..hehe :P

---- I so love YJ-GE!! i believe in Soeulmates.. :D

-kRiStiNa

Guest gem2461

Major roll eyes at the result.

Meteor Garden IS and WILL always be the best in my heart.

I can still remember the days when almost ALL of the Filipino girls went CRAZY, literally, over Meteor Garden.

Reminiscense<333

Guest jayjo

the japanese version rocks! i just love makino! her version is so awesome! and rui is superrrr hot! i hate how domyoji looks like! i have to say short-curly hair doesnt suit matsujun.

Guest xl0v3juicy

HANA YORI DANGO for the win! :)

I think the chemistry between japan's Domyouji and Makino was sooo good. I actually loved them together, and I wouldn't want it any other way. Even though I especially loved Oguri Shun's portrayal of Hanazawa Rui, I still preferred Domyouji and Makino together because it was as if they actually belonged together. A lot of people say they prefer BOF over HYD because Jun Pyo is better looking, but I disagree. Well, I mean it's true Min Ho looks better, but Jun Matsumoto just grew on me. I didn't like him at first, but his portrayal of domyouji actually made me fall in love with his character! The drama overall was good, because it went at a decent pace and it went straight to the point, while leaving the perfect amount of time for character development. It was also nice how they divided it into two seasons, and then a movie. That way, reduced the risk of the drama being too draggy like the korean one.

In the korean one, all they really have is the high budget and a good-looking cast. So what if they have a good stylist, lighting, camera angles, sets, props... whatever? There is seriously little to none chemistry between Jandi and Jun Pyo. There's more chemistry between Jandi and Ji hoo... but that's only because the story focuses EXCESSIVELY on the development between those two. And it's quite pathetic how even though they have had so much screen time, the chemistry isn't even there. I feel that the korean drama is way too draggy... but then again it's always been like that with k-dramas (which explains my preference to j-dramas).

I mean honestly, why do Jun Pyo and Jandi even like eachother??! I think I already forgot. To me, their relationship seemed like a mere fling. What was so special about it?

However, despite what my thoughts on the drama are, I'm still probably going to finish watching BOF purely for the Yi Jeong and Ga Eul relationship. I'm hoping they'lll have a happy ending together. BOF is probably the first and only korean drama I'll ever finish / watch completely. K-dramas are just too draggy, imo.

Oh, and as for meteor garden, I never finished watching it, but I still like Vic Zhou. I think Rui's characters are always my favorite, except the korean one isn't so great. He's really cute and all, but his acting sucks. Oguri Shun makes the best Hanazawa Rui, hands down.

AND I'd like to add that I agree with everything trinity1418 said. Especially anything about GHS. She makes a really crappy Makino, imo. She's annoying and rude. Since when did she ever show Jun Pyo she liked him?? Actually to be honest, I don't even know what JH and JP see in her to make them like her so much. The way she acts, talks, EAT is just so unattractive...

Guest Justalilodreamer

HYD felt more unique and left a deeper impression on me. BOF isnt horrible but it seems like a completely typical korean drama to me, nothing special at all besides the fancy set ups. BOF have more of an 'eye candy cast' but not much substance whereas HYD's cast is less good looking but relies more on their acting abilities. Domyouji and Makino had great chemistry and Oguri did a great job with Rui (KHJ's portrayal of Rui was a fall through imo). HYD had me anticipating Rui scenes but in BOF i skipped most of KHJ's scenes, i couldn't stand the awkwardness. I personally thought LMH's portrayal of Domoyouji was not bad and GHS's acting was pretty good too... but i just don't like her Makino, its too typical and reminds me of YEH in Goong.

I did liked BOF when i watched it as BOF itself and not 'just another version of HYD' meaning its probably not a bad series itself but if i were to compare it to manga or HYD...it doesnt stand much of chance (this is completely based on my own opinions). Somehow i stopped watching after episode 9 though. I guess was a bit turned off by all the contests and unnecessary scenes, like going on trips that turn the series into a something like a tourist/traveling show. But I might get back to it...someday.

I havent seen much of MG but i saw the first episode and gagged a bit at the cheap looking set up. To me Barbie doesnt look like a Makino at all :huh: but since i havent watched the whole series i wont make bias comments

Overall... BOF isn't something i'd want to go back and rewatch but I can probably rewatch HYD 10x over and never get tire of it.

(I just think if I was Yoko Kamio, I would be so mad that they 'claim' to use my story, but totally go off track with it)

COMPLETELY agree with you.

They're basically not following the actual manga plot anymore...

they might as well be the new chinese version of HYD but say that theyre not using the actual plot, which is why the copyright doesn't apply to them.

Guest meimei__KOUSEKI

Japanese version will always pwn the other versions.

but the plot is so overused.

and srsly, i'm secretly lol-ing everytime

people who i know have watched the previous versions

and would be like "i wonder what'll happen on ep.#?"...

and the lead girl... would definitely be Inoue Mao.

She's like... EPIC.

I enjoyed reading your analysis of each character even though I don't agree with most of them, but I totally understand where you are coming from.

EXCEPT this last part I really have to disagree. I have watched all the versions and read the manga. BOF DEFINITELY have the worst flow in storyline. First off, Jandi randomly delivers clothes to school, offends F4 and gets enrolled in the school. Makino was suppose to WANT to attend Eitoku, because she had a dream to support her family or what not. Jandi was randomly invited by Shinhwa people and then her parents gave her a push, so she listened and went. THAT alone proves that the story has no flow already, because it is already out of character for Makino and it just doesn't make sense.

There are also so many unnecessary parts in the BOF. It's not like once or twice, but its repeatedly. Like someone said before, the scene when Jihoo and JP cooks and they sucked. So they ended up getting someone to cook for them. What is the point in that? It's choppy and didn't support the storyline what-so-ever. (Sometime I actually think that BOF is to help advertise tourist places, like that island place, Macau, then the temple place that Jihoo and Jandi went to) Another and the only example I can remember is the part when Jihoo invited Jandi for pancakes and they are all happily eating pancakes at his house and next thing you know they are going on a trip to some island. Talk about lack of flow. Not only does it not follow the manga, but it doesn't have the same message as the manga. HYD didn't follow the manga, but they kept the essences of the story. BOF is totally evolving into something totally different, which has no correlation to the flow of the story at all. (I just think if I was Yoko Kamio, I would be so mad that they 'claim' to use my story, but totally go off track with it)

Just my take on it.

I am not going to vote yet, since BOF is not finished.

I will be back. lol

Aw thanks~ <3

I guess we all really have very different views..

For me, I really liked the way its evolving into something different

But still while keeping the heart of the story in tact

And while actually giving more significance and depth to the other characters

Its just a very fresh and unique take to me

It is afterall the third version and it would be boring if they just stayed true to the manga

We're all here for the entertainment anyway..

I'm sure I wouldn't watch BOF and would have probably dropped it after the fifth episode if its exactly like its predecessors..

There'd be no thrill and no excitement

I will might as well watch the drama before in a Korean dub..

BOF to me is kind of like the black/dark horse of the bunch

Guest GiRlli3

I actually like all of the Korean F4

but I really don't like the Korean jandi

I love Makino she's soo pretty and cute

and I guess I prefer the Korean version Boys over Flowers

cuz they have my favorite couple Soeul couple [Yijeong/Kimbum and Gaeul/Soeun]

Archived