Hana Yori Dango, Meteor Garden or Boys Before Flowers?

Guest ritahui

Guest jicks

The story is fail proof success. I enjoyed watching all 3 versions but HanaDan takes the cake for me.

I actually blogged a pound-for-pound, character, couples, scene & other bits+pieces breakdown for anyone who's interested in sussing out. Just bare in mind that I don't mean to offend. It's simply my feelings.

So... call it spam or what not but I worked pretty hard on it (harder than any assignment I've ever done for school lol... didn't think it was going to be that strenuous at first though >_>) so I figured I should flaunt it out there! Please feel free to share your thoughts ^_^

MG VS HYD VS BOF – Part 1: The People

MG VS HYD VS BOF – Part 2: The Couples

MG VS HYD VS BOF – Part 3: The Scenes

MG VS HYD VS BOF – Part 4: The Other Bits & Pieces

MG VS HYD VS BOF – Part 5: The Last Words

Let the legacy live on!

• Replies 437
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest PRINCE KYARII

japanese version was the first one i watched.. it was the best! it was really good and the acting quality <3

korean version was also good.. but not as good as hyd, i skipped so many parts, seoulmates was the best!!

as for taiwan version.. i never watched it D: i heard it was really good though... vaness is in it! he's cool

there's 1 more version though.. the chinese version, meteor shower.. it's not so popular but i watched a few scenes, and it's good, i think i'd really like if i watched it =]

Guest theotherwoman

1) Japanese Version

2) Korean Version

I'm not a fan of the chinese version. I think they did it over the top!

but the hana yori dango and boys before flowers were awesome!

the cast chemistry and bonding was great. i love both the storylines.

even the songs were fitted well together.

• 1 month later...
Guest chopstix_pudding

1) Hana Yori Dango

There's great chemistry between the two lead. Short, simple, and perfect!

2) Meteor Garden

Great Chemistry between the two lead. This drama was what made me fell in love with F4 and introduced me to Taiwanese drama

3) BoF

Horrible acting, boring plot, and no chemistry between the leads. I actually forced myself to watch up to 8 episodes and stopped after that.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest wilatabz

To be fair, I might hold off my final choice until I finish BOF. :D

One thing I'm sure of, Inoue Mao is better as Makino. If you read the manga, there will be times that you will hate the heroine. She gets on your nerves at times and might end up annoying you. I somewhat experienced this in Nodame Cantabile the drama. Although the presentation of HYD as well as Mao's acting have this "manga"-like style, she remains lovable and charming. I like how Mao can appear so plain when deglamourized. But once she pampers herself a bit, she's so cute and very pretty! These make me understand why Domyouji and Rui are so drawn into her character.

GHS, does she have trouble speaking straight? Or is it just over-acting? I haven't seen her in her other dramas, so I don't know how she normally acts. Of all the characters in HYD, my most favorite is not Domyouji nor Rui... but Makino. While I'm mesmerized by LMH's Domyouji, BOF's GHS failed to charm me. So I wonder, what does JP and JH see in her? That might seem such a big deal if I have to think hard about it.... but usually, it doesn't stop me from being addicted and enjoying the drama.

Then again, just as .blah says, each version is unique in its own way. A

i have seen here other dramas before...and she acts ok, i believe its BOF that destroyed her acting skills, always shouing jun pyo's name like "juju-ju JUN PHYOOOOWWW!!!"

haha

HYD RULES

though they might not be the prettiest f4 but come on you dont love a person just because he's cute right?

I still like the first one.

meteor garden? yeah it would always have a special part in my heart, since because of it. HYD came to view

Guest wilatabz

hana yori dango is the best

though meteor garden is special in its own way

but boys over flowers is kinda insulting to Kamio

She said, “It’s an honor to have Hana Yori Dango produced as a Korean drama too.. I hope Korean viewers will enjoy it.”

but even if i enjoyed it, i sometimes hate the way they messed up things like jandi's over hyper family

jandi's outbursts

jnpyo's shouting, bratty attitude (though he IS the best looking leader o4f f4)

the absent 3rd f4

and JI hoo not wearing white

just my opinion

Hana Yori Dango :)

It doesn't drag like other versions. I used to like the Taiwanese version of it (still do) but when they released MG2, it was draggy and boring. As for BOF, it has always been draggy. Can't believe for a second, I thought it was better than HYD.

It took me a while to regain conscious. Haha. HYD will always be the best version not because it's the original but the casts and storyline are perfect.

Hana Yori Dango for me. I spent 2 days watching both seasons and I was obsessed with it for months. I watched Boys Over Flowers.. but the cast annoyed me a bit, especially the heroine. I tried watching the first episode of Meteor Garden but I couldn't get hooked.

Guest Ally_

1. Boys Before Flowers ~

BBF, in mi opinion, the best.

The story was very interesting, I watched like 5 or 6 episodes per day.

The acting was good, they played their characters really good! And is the most atractive cast of all three *-*

I loved the OST, it suites the scenes well.

The chemistry between characters was not the best, but I liked it anyways~ It had more scenes with Ji Hoo x Jan Di, which I loved :)

2. Meteor Garden was pretty interesting, I liked it :)

The acting was good, as well as the story. Although sometimes I got a little bored, I didn't skipped anything. Maybe because I already know what was going to happen because I watched the other two versions, but anyways, I liked it.

3. Buuut.... HYD was BORING.

I don't like dropping dramas so I continued it, but I couldn't stand it.

I was always skipping scenes 'cause they were so predictable :/

Once I couldn't find one part of an episode, so I skipped it (it wa 10min) and I didn't lost anything! I could understand it perfectly like I never skipped anything. One episode was an eternity for me.

Guest strawberrynkiwi

^^ err, want to enlighten me on how HYD cannot be predictable when all 3 drama was based on the same manga??? including the fact that jdorama are only 45mins and 11 episodes, so it's the most important parts of the storyline and nothing else. quality over quantity.

i don't want to see jandi and jihoo take fake wedding pictures.... made no impact of the story at all.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest nanuko31

Once and for all, for me it's Hana Yori Dango. Cast, plot, shorter, clean.

Actors less convinced me in BBF and MG.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest leelee.

Meteor Garden was actually the first one of the 3 that I watched and it was alright. Not awesome but not terrible either. The second season was horrible not so great though.

I couldn't finish watching Boys Over Flowers, although I did watch the majority of it. It was just so freakin' slow! Wasn't very fond of the acting either, but I've grown accustomed to Lee Minho and I like him more now that he's no longer in that show.

I love love love Hana Yori Dango and I thought the cast was excellent in the Japanese version. The Korean cast was pretty good too, but I didn't care for Jan Di. Couldn't relate to her at all. :mellow:

Inoue Mao and Matsumoto Jun had great chemistry on set, and well, Oguri Shun is :wub:

I also liked the girl who played Yuki -- she was sooo cute!

So yeah, it's Hana Yori Dango for me~ :)

I wish I can be more diplomatic about this, yes on some level it's a matter of personal preferences. BUT when BoF was in it's full bloom craze, I can't help but think all BOF fans who say HYD is dull and cannot be compared were mental (or just firmly under LMH's spell). Seriously, GSD over Inoue Mao?? *face palms* I can understand wavering between the three "Domyoji"s. But it's a no-brainer for Tsukushi.

Guest dorkyxninja

I liked Hana Yori Dango the best. The only thing that I liked better in the Korean one was how her friend ended up with one of the F4 guys.

• 2 years later...
Guest jagerbomb

1. Hana Yori Dango by far.  - All the actors/actresses were spot on.  - Rui was amazing, he didn't speak much but the emotion was all there.  - Sure the boys weren't typical tall or dashing at first but they made us all fall in love with them  - Most importantly, MAKINO is everything I wanted her to be. She was tough yet fragile and that takes skill to enact
2. Meteor Garden. I watched this first, probably have seen it 5 times now (1st season) & I still like it.  Of course its a bit old fashioned but that kept it authentic for me unlike BOF........
3. BOF - I hated this. Alot. Couldn't even finish it if I wanted to.  - Jihoo was horrible, I like hyungjoon but he really put me off this character & I found myself skipping his scenes - Jandi - again, wtf. She wasn't 'tough' but she acted like every other female korean drama queen & that annoyed me. People may defend her but the acting was so bad argh (actually I feel like A Pinks Eunji's character in Reply 1997 is even more spot on than Goo Hyesuns).  - Her family also wasn't poor enough, they looked pretty rich to me & Jandi was way too fashionable its like they did it for marketability sake  - Like alot of you, the only two people who saved this drama was kibums character & jandi's best friend. - Felt like I was watching a music video. There was music inserts every effing 5 minutes. no joke. it kills the mood of the show - Ultimatley, didn't end up finishing this horrid drama, even compared to a normal korean standard drama level not comparing to the past two remakes.
I would love another korean remake but this time put in a better director/producer and actors/actresses, I can see it being my fave considering I have a soft spot for Korean dramas & there's so many good young up coming actors/actresses who can tackle this role successfully.

Guest ScentofAsia

Being a fan of the manga, I'll focus more on what adaptations brought out the main points of the story (rather than the cast, appearance, budget etc.)
Meteor Garden - Best character growth of Dao Ming Si/Domyouji. 
No doubt about it, Meteor Garden is 90% faithful to the manga. This is the adaptation where I get to see how Dao Ming Si worked so hard to change himself and what sacrifices he would endure just to be worthy of Shan Cai. 
One of the most remarkable scenes is when Dao Ming Si gets beaten down by the goons to save Shan Cai. This is the only version where they didn't alter anything from the manga. I consider this very important cause it's a good turning point for his growth as a person. 
Meteor Garden 2 is awful cause they dragged the amnesia arc in a whole season so I pretend it didn't exist.
Hana Yori Dango - Best couple development of Domyouji and Makino. 
It totally filled the missing parts of the previous adaptation. I really like how it focused more on the balance between Domyouji and Makino not only as a couple, but also as individuals. During the course of their on/off relationship, both actors really showed how they matured and turned each other into better and stronger people. It confirmed not only how much they love each other, but how much they need each other.
This version also have the most satisfying ending! 
Boys Before Flowers - If I were Yoko Kamio, I'd declare war. This drama has totally murdered the characterization and original plot and turned it into a mediocre Cinderella story filled with unnecessary angst.
I should have known that it will be a total disaster the moment I see that Jun Pyo is acting more human and earthly than Jan Di. These two pretty much act like the opposite of what their manga counterparts are supposed to be (especially in the 2nd half). It feels like watching a reversed HYD. 

^ Agree with most things written : )
MG (taiwan) - I have good laugh and fun with it (front part is quite entertaining ). F4...hmm DMS has the rebellious look, only wish their acting can be better.... Barbie seems to be what I had been expecting from the character. MG 2 - it drags. It is mediocre....other than amnesia, I pretty much forget what the series is about. I also wish I can pretend it doesn't exist. If it is to mention one good thing about part II, it would be the friendship of sc with F3 as portrayed here.
BBF(korea) - I expected a rebellious JP (lonely,childish as well) and a tough JD (someone who would stand up against bully). Yes, some 'plots' are there (e.g amnesia, campus, challenge JP, poor parents, rich mom etc), but still.....the "spirit' is not there. Like some mention, the characters are quite out. Cried over flour ; most of the time, tears running around eyes, weak at the knees when challenged/insulted etc - for one second, i had a feeling it was another typical soft character who needed protection. JP has shown anger, thrown fists, some arrogant lines, but not sure if I can say this is rebellious JP i am expecting, on another hand i found he was more like a sunny and cheerful boy, with some mood.But then these seem to be more human like? .....Easier for audience to relate, I guess? Stories that focused on F3 , ended to be parts I enjoyed more.I wish it is not promoted as manga series, after 1st episode, I pretty much treated it like another series with its own strength... "humanity".
HYD (japan) - I haven't watched it, but it seems like getting most praise. I am not sure if I would be watching , it would be like reading the story 3+1 times....... wish I have watched this before the other 2.

who i like best?
wish I have watched HYD first, ...but at the moment it seems to be Barbie as San chai, jerry as DMS more for what I would expect from characters, 2nd lead kind of tally, while the other F2 (without taking japanese version into consideration - it would be the korean version for the acting skill of F2)

Archived