Non-christian Korean Celebrities

Guest abloom

Guest xshinhae05x

...... k so I get that whoever made this topic was probably just interested/curious... but the topic is starting to become a little offensive. It sort of sounds like people are praising the non-Christian idols JUST because they aren't Christian now. It's not like it really makes a difference on how talented or how good-looking they are based on their religion. I mean, that's why we like these celebs right? Talent and looks? And plus, this thread now just sounds like a conversation about religions, not about the celebrities themselves. That's just my view.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Eric - Catholic.. my friend in LA said he always goes to church every time he visits his parents, one of the trainee in the army said he attended services for christians, and he made a Christian song.. oh and he always thanks God during award acceptance, albums' thank you notes, etc.. I'm 100% sure he's catholic, and quite an active one...

Dongwan - Christian... well, from his blog we can tell he goes to church, and he often puts bible verses on his blog, and he once talked about his Christianity... and he often thanks God for letting him to meet shinhwa members.. I'm 100% sure he's a very active Christian...

Junjin - not sure if he attends church... but he talked in an article about his church life and how God has helped him go through the difficult times about his mother.. *his mom left him right after giving birth to him, his 2nd mom didn't treat him well, and his current mom is the 3rd mom he has*

Andy - also not sure if he attends church... but he once wrote a letter to a church, which was published on the church magazine.. it shows that he's a Christian but couldn't go to church as often as he should..

Hyesung - the only thing I know about him is that he sang a Christian song... not a christmas song (anyone can sing that), but an actual christian song.. *i think the title of the song is 'please accept me' and it's about giving himself to God*

Minwoo - the only thing I know about him is that he and Hyesung attended the service when NRG's KimHwangSung died of pneumonia.. they also attended his 1 year death 'anniversary'...

Eric is Christian, not Catholic.

I went to his church in LA and his parents and my parents are friends through church so I'm 100% sure Eric's Christian.

When Shinhwa first came out, their profiles all said that they were Christians, but at one point in their career, MinWoo and HyeSung's religions disappeared, so I don't know what that means. Maybe they still are Christians or they became atheists/agnostic/etc

as for the thread, let's just try to respect everyone's religions here.

Guest bunnypark

I dont really think we need to keep bringing up

religion other than, she's ____, he's _____.

cause thats the actual purpose of this thread....

hmm....i heard:

bae seulgi is catholic? I heard it somewhere, not sure though.

and I'm pretty sure yunho's some kind of Christian, not Catholic.

I never knew Big Bang were all Christian and Catholic!

haha. especially with Jiyong's shirts sometimes. not offensive or anything! im a fan, too!

Guest ms.incredible

i know everyone from big bang is christian but seungri who is catholic? buddhist?

but everyone already said it..

this might be a bit off topic but i have a question...

i dont understand how they can be called christian when they r called "idol groups"?

i am christian and i know in the ten commandments, it says not to put a god before God.

and dbsk&big bang(as examples) are "christian"(most of them) but they are praised and worshipped by their fans? :P

i dont mean to sound offensive, really.. i am really interested in pursuing my dream as a korean singer...

but listening to my pastor talk about these "worldly pleasures(fame, money, etc)" is really making me think twice.

i also know that choi siwon is a really devoted christian, and its really heartwarming for me to hear that (lol idk why)

but he's in suju, who are idolized thru out asia...

so.. are the celebs just saying they r christian because they attend church and all? or do they mean it?

my pastor said,"going to church doesnt make you a christian, like sitting in a garage makes you a car"

which i find funny yet true

and also, how is it possible they r idols to their fans but christian/catholic at the same time?

im sorry its so long and i repeat, I DONT MEAN TO BE OFFENSIVE

im curious and i want to know..

i want to be a singer myself, so im just gathering my info and all :D

sorry if this is offtopic too... i just found this thread while researching and i thought it would b a good place to ask this question :/

While what your pastor said is somewhat true. I don't it's up to anyone to question someone's relationship with God....unless they're just horrible.LOL

My dad said when he was a kid, people use to interpret that "camel through an eye of a needle" as saying all rich people were going to hell, but it's more or less where your heart is(greedy, uncaring, etc). To me(I admit I'm far from an authority on religion.LOL) it's possible to be a star and still maintain a relationship with God.

Guest IlikeChicken

Eric is Christian, not Catholic.

I went to his church in LA and his parents and my parents are friends through church so I'm 100% sure Eric's Christian.

When Shinhwa first came out, their profiles all said that they were Christians, but at one point in their career, MinWoo and HyeSung's religions disappeared, so I don't know what that means. Maybe they still are Christians or they became atheists/agnostic/etc

as for the thread, let's just try to respect everyone's religions here.

Isn't Catholic just a Christian denomination? So it wouldn't matter if he's Christian. Catholic is just being more specific. (I would think someone who practices the religion would know better)

Wow, I don't know but this thread is getting really personal..

Guest GreenTeaBanana

I'm pretty sure Sohee is either Christian or Catholic.

An anti-Sohee fan made a huge controversy about it about a yeat ago posting comment of Sohee and saying that

she shoesn't deserve being in Wonder Girls or being a singer at all because she's Buddhist. But one of Sohee's

church fellowship members posted a picture of sohee coming out of a Christian or Catholic church service on Sunday.

Her family isn't Christian, but I'm pretty sure Sohee is Christian/Catholic.

would you care to post picture up? I have a hard time believing this

http://wondergirls.wordpress.com/2008/12/1...-intimate-note/

^ last line of this blog. the writer seems pretty well informed. he (or she) is pretty up to date about kpop (especially wonder girls)

Also. why are you people having philosophical discussions here?

1. It's so pointless when you obviously arent answering OP's question.

"Oh I have no clue. But so and so is a Christian" < WTF

2. Just because a celebrity's family member is Christian, doesnt make them Christian. Just because Celeb A's mom wanted a Catholic daughter in law doesnt make Celeb A a Catholic.

3. Just because you pray to God, doesnt mean you're Christian.

Muslims and Jewish People. Not Christian. Do they pray to God? Yes

In fact, I know a lot of people who dont have religious affliations but still pray to God.

Singing a Christian song? Maybe..but please verify what you have to say before spewing "He sang this song that had the word God therefore he's Christian!"

Jang Dong Gun is Buddhist.

http://bestuff.com/stuff/jang-dong-gun

http://soompi.com/fanclub/jang_dong_gun_fanclub

Guest 한스 ㅋㅋ

Isn't taeyeon from SNSD a catholic?

I'm pretty sure I read it somewhere, and I remembered her wearing a cross anyway

Muslims and Jewish People. Not Christian. Do they pray to God? Yes

yeah but they don't usually call it "god"

Buddhist- Pretty sure they don't say God or bring their religion constantly (looking from my friends)

Atheist- no way they will thank to god.... it's called atheist for a reason lol...

Isn't Catholic just a Christian denomination? So it wouldn't matter if he's Christian. Catholic is just being more specific. (I would think someone who practices the religion would know better)

all right then. he's Christian in the Presbyterian denomination.

no need to call me out.

Guest colloquy

Yeah, this actually kind of annoys me. So, Catholics are not Christians? It's just Christian -> Catholics, Protestants or Orthodox. Some people are general 'Christians' though, but very few.

I find this interesting, frankly. I don't know how somebody can be offended by a certain celebrity's personal values, when they're not even preaching them, just stating which religion they are part of. Or this indifference is because I'm an atheist.

yeah but they don't usually call it "god"

Jewish people do pray to god, Muslims, as well as some Arab Christians, pray to 'Allah' which is the Arabic word for god. It's the same god.

He keeps on bugging other SJ members, talking about his religion and "deliberately" trying to convert them.

And that's just why I love him. :lol:

I knew Siwon was hardcore, but... YIKES. :o

That's like an atheist "deliberately" going around trying to convert Christians into believing there's no god.

Is Siwon a Jehovah's Witness? lol.

Thanks for telling me though. I see him in a different light now. lol.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Happening.Inc

What an interesting topic. Yeah, for the majority of reglious many azn are christian. It's SO good to see that there are others at aren't too.

Guest bunnypark

kim junsu from DBSK is a seventh-day adventist.... kim jaejoong is an atheist....

actually, junsu is Christian and i think Jaejoong converted to Christianity also..

• 3 years later...

my_kangin said: I'm pretty sure Sohee is either Christian or Catholic.
An anti-Sohee fan made a huge controversy about it about a yeat ago posting comment of Sohee and saying that
she shoesn't deserve being in Wonder Girls or being a singer at all because she's Buddhist. But one of Sohee's
church fellowship members posted a picture of sohee coming out of a Christian or Catholic church service on Sunday.
Her family isn't Christian, but I'm pretty sure Sohee is Christian/Catholic.

BIG BANG
Choi Seunghyun - Christian
Dong Youngbae - Christian
Kwon Jiyong - Christian
Kang Daesung - Christian
Lee Seunghyun - Catholic

^I'm pretty sure about Big Bang. LMAO.

Taeyang is also catholic because in 2 days and one night with Big Bang Taeyang said that he was in church on New Years Eve and Seungri said(he was joking)that he was also in the church :)

• 2 years later...

Archived