[Drama 2001] Beautiful Days 아름다운 날들

rubie

Guest summer0323

I know the feeling Chula! I think everyone wasn't drawn to BH at first glance... :P

I remember way back 2003 (Oct I think), I was at our clinic when I first saw BD...I was changing channels looking for something interesting to watch when I saw BD being shown....anyway, I was not really concentrating in watching it....talking to my brother while glancing on the TV once in a while....It was I think almost halfway already...somewhere around ep 11 or 12... then all of a sudden MINCHUL came out! and I was like dumbfounded....embarrassing to say but I was telling my brother is that the lead actor??? Yuk ang panget! (not handsome!)...even my bro agreed with me! shame on me huh! :lol:and the hair!!! I said to myself what's with the hair??? it's so yucky! :lol: But I don't know... there was something with BD that made me open the TV everyday during the timeslot and watched it... As I continued watching it I was slowly being drawn and mesmerized by MINCHUL!...ooohhh...the stares and that killer smile! :wub: and great acting too! When I saw a VCD copy of BD the following month, I grabbed it and did a marathon for 2 days straight! I ate my words already about BH being "panget" ! I am now hook, crazy, addict on BH! :wub:

haaay! me rambling too much too! I am really a crazy BD/BH fan hence my old USERNAME LBHCrazy! :lol:

High 5 to both of u!! Same to me.......I known BH thru' BD.....b4 tat I knew this drama fr the weekly magazine & read the outline of the story...so wanted to see how gd this drama is & they mentioned that the actor is handsome too~~ :P But then, when I saw BH....nothing special~~ ;) the drama too..... <_< I told myself to give this drama a chance.....tomorrow will watch the ep 2......After ep 2...3.....I'm glued to it....When the drama was repeated, I watched another time....even when TV2 (m'sia channel) aired this drama on the afternoon slot....I tried to tape it down too....So crazy to watch it 3x on TV! But then, I did not get the VCD as all the version sold here does not hv korean sound! When I went to China tour, I thought of looking for it also cannot find, only know that HK have it....therefore until now I did not hv a set but I have a dl set~ :D

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Captures: Byunghunzzang.com

The apple of his eyes... only Minji can make Minchul laugh..

0000000892226_O.jpg

0000000892227_O.jpg

Never mess around with a protective brother.. :angry:

Spoiler

0000000892223_O.jpg

Spoiler

0000000892224_O.jpg

The other sister... Lee Minji = Shin Min Ah

025.jpg

Credits to jusunlee.com

this is the drama where i fell in love with shinminah in!!!<3<3<3

^ i love her...

i cant wait for her new drama with bi...

but anywho... i loved this drama as well..

but werent leejunghyun and choijiwoo real sisters?

As I continued watching it I was slowly being drawn and mesmerized by MINCHUL!...ooohhh...the stares and that killer smile! :wub: and great acting too!

:lol:Gigi -- i think DRAWN is definitely the keyword here! it's those eyes i'm telling yah! when Yeon Soo was drawing his portrait in the restaurant ... eeeeeee! ang lagket ng tingin, LOL the way he looked/stared at her, so intense :lol: i could definitely relate to how Yeon Soo was feeling slightly uncomfortable at the time. because it felt like he was staring at ME when i was watching the scene. *fans myself* that's why she said "you should relax" remember? and Min Chul said that he is! *melts*

p/s: anyone seeing this the first time will have the same exact impression of Minchul... domineering, bossy... even ruthless? He'll do anything for the company... nothing & no one matters... yet...

he was rubie! very domineering ... those eyes ... ack i can't stop talking about his eyes :lol: i need to snap out of it!

High 5 to both of u!! Same to me.......I known BH thru' BD.....b4 tat I knew this drama fr the weekly magazine & read the outline of the story...so wanted to see how gd this drama is & they mentioned that the actor is handsome too~~ :P But then, when I saw BH....nothing special~~ ;) the drama too..... <_< I told myself to give this drama a chance.....tomorrow will watch the ep 2......After ep 2...3.....I'm glued to it....When the drama was repeated, I watched another time....even when TV2 (m'sia channel) aired this drama on the afternoon slot....I tried to tape it down too....So crazy to watch it 3x on TV! But then, I did not get the VCD as all the version sold here does not hv korean sound! When I went to China tour, I thought of looking for it also cannot find, only know that HK have it....therefore until now I did not hv a set but I have a dl set~ :D

summer! so you don't have any VCDs with the korean audio? aww that's a shame. i really wish that this drama would be released on DVD soon. i remember dramalover told us that a Hawaiian station (KBFD) released their own BD DVD. i still haven't seen any pic of the boxset but i've read reviews that there were some subtitles missing.

this is the drama where i fell in love with shinminah in!!!<3<3<3

^ i love her...

i cant wait for her new drama with bi...

but anywho... i loved this drama as well..

but werent leejunghyun and choijiwoo real sisters?

ah same here! Shin Mina was a breakout star here.

i feel bad for Min Ji. i honestly don't blame her for being bitter to her dad. she was only a little girl when they lost their mom and their dad brought back another lady right away. that's gotta hurt :( but it was also wrong of her to disrespect their stepmom and (step)brother.

good thing she had her brother Min Chul. i loved their scenes together ... they have great chemistry as brother and sister! (ie. when Min Chul came with Min Ji to see her artwork - after she got arrested for vandalism - that was touching.)

auddms35_30.jpg

it was nice to see that Min Ji had a transformation later on. at least the writers didn't do it on the last few episodes (unlike what usually happens with other dramas). we got to see Min Ji change into a mature daughter, good friend and sister in law :)

oh yeah, i can't wait for her new drama with Bi too!

as for CJW and LJH. they weren't real sisters here. they basically grew up together in the orphanage and formed a bond as sisters - that's why they share the same birthday :)

more of my favorite pics from the drama:

th_mj5661_38.jpg th_wldptus91_4.jpg th_jinsrh_2.jpg

th_photo59348.jpg

Yeon Soo and Seon Jae

th_photo5940.jpg

face off ... heh

mc33.jpg

Some related news to share:

Copied this from the previous CJW thread @ soompi.com, gratitude to Beary Bear for translating and sharing it with us.

quote=Beary Bear,Aug 8 2005, 03:38 AM

Extracted from - http://bhjwlove.w117.leoboard.com/cgi-bin/...pic=1143&show=0

Source - Apple Daily Hong Kong

日 網 民 選 歷 來 最 愛 韓 劇   智 友 威 晒

韓 風 自 去 年 吹 向 日 本 後 , 多 名 韓 星 均 成 為 日 本 師 奶 們 的 偶 像 , 他 們 主 演 的 韓 劇 更 是 很 多 日 本 女 性 必 看 的 劇 集 。 最 近 《 朝 鮮 日 報 》 舉 行 了 「 我 最 喜 愛 的 韓 劇 」 選 舉 , 韓 國 男 星 裴 勇 俊 和 女 星 崔 智 友 合 演 的 《 冬 日 戀 曲 》 獲 選 冠 軍 , 崔 智 友 的 《 美 麗 的 日 子 》 和 《 天 國 的 階 梯 》 分 佔 第 二 及 第 四 位 , 認 真 巴 閉 。 而 李 秉 憲 、 宋 承 憲 和 宋 慧 喬 , 均 分 別 有 三 劇 打 入 十 大 。

《 朝 鮮 日 報 》 日 本 版 , 上 周 以 網 上 投 票 方 式 , 讓 網 民 選 出 歷 來 「 我 最 喜 愛 的 韓 劇 」 。 投 票 反 應 熱 烈 , 短 短 一 星 期 已 有 二 萬 二 千 多 人 投 票 。

「 韓 流 」 網 站 介 紹 「 劇 點 」

首 十 部 人 氣 韓 劇 均 是 家 喻 戶 曉 , 堪 稱 韓 劇 經 典 。 以 百 分 之 二 十 七 支 持 率 成 為 第 一 位 的 , 當 然 是 俊 哥 與 崔 智 友 的 《 冬 日 戀 曲 》 。 《 冬 》 劇 掀 起 日 本 人 追 看 韓 劇 熱 潮 , NHK 電 視 台 不 但 三 度 重 播 , 深 夜 播 放 的 時 候 更 錄 得 雙 位 數 字 的 收 視 率 , 獲 選 第 一 位 可 說 實 至 名 歸 。

第 二 位 為 得 票 接 近 百 分 之 二 十 三 的 《 美 麗 的 日 子 》 。 此 劇 不 單 止 令 李 秉 憲 和 崔 智 友 在 日 本 的 人 氣 繼 續 上 升 , 連 帶 在 韓 國 已 人 氣 下 滑 的 男 配 角 柳 時 元 , 亦 被 日 本 傳 媒 封 為 「 永 遠 的 王 子 」 , 他 今 年 推 出 的 兩 張 日 本 細 碟 均 打 入 Oricon 前 五 名 。 而 第 三 位 則 是 俊 哥 的 陳 年 舊 作 《 情 定 大 飯 店 》 。

其 他 上 榜 的 韓 劇 分 別 有 《 天 國 的 階 梯 》 、 《 巴 黎 戀 人 》 及 《 夏 日 香 氣 》 等 ; 至 於 香 港 人 最 喜 愛 的 《 大 長 今 》 , 卻 只 能 在 榜 上 排 名 第 七 。

此 外 , 韓 國 觀 光 公 社 因 應 韓 劇 熱 潮 , 特 別 與 藝 能 人 公 司 及 電 視 台 合 作 , 設 立 「 Hello ! 韓 流 」 網 站 , 以 韓 文 、 日 文 、 中 文 及 英 文 四 種 語 言 , 提 供 六 十 八 位 藝 人 最 新 的 詳 盡 介 紹 , 並 歸 納 二 百 五 十 多 個 韓 劇 拍 攝 場 地 景 點 , 以 吸 引 更 多 人 旅 遊 韓 國 。 「 韓 流 v 網 址 : http://www.hellohallyu.com

日 本 人 最 喜 愛 十 大 韓 劇

1 《 冬 日 戀 曲 》 裴 勇 俊 、 崔 智 友 ( 27.3% )

2 《 美 麗 的 日 子 》 李 秉 憲 、 崔 智 友 ( 22.7% )

3 《 情 定 大 飯 店 》 裴 勇 俊 、 宋 允 兒 ( 12.7% )

4 《 天 國 的 階 梯 》 權 相 佑 、 崔 智 友 ( 12.0% )

5 《 巴 黎 戀 人 》 李 東 健 、 金 晶 銀 ( 7.2% )

6 《 夏 日 香 氣 》 宋 承 憲 、 孫 藝 珍 ( 5.4% )

7 《 大 長 今 》 池 珍 熙 、 李 英 愛 ( 4.7% )

8 《 藍 色 生 死 戀 》 宋 承 憲 、 宋 慧 喬 ( 3.7% )

9 《 All-In 真 愛 賭 注 》 李 秉 憲 、 宋 慧 喬 ( 3.2% )

10 《 Happy Together 》 宋 承 憲 、 李 秉 憲 、 全 智 賢 ( 1.1% )

:wub: Enjoy

Chinese-English Translations by Beary Bear

Ever since the Korean Wave entered Japan last year, many Korean artistes became the favorites of older women in the country. Many of them watch or follow dramas starring Korean stars.

Recently, Japanese Chosun Ilbo organized a survey, asking neitzens to choose their "Favorite Korean Drama". "Winter Sonata" starring Bae Yong-Jun and Choi Ji-Woo came out tops.

Choi Ji-Woo's dramas occupied several top spots, including "Beautiful Days" at Number 2, and "Stairway to Heaven" at Number 4. In addition, Lee Byung-Hun, Song Seung-Hun and Song Hye-Gyo each have three dramas in the Top 10 list.

Japanese Chosun Ilbo published the survey on their website last week, asking voters to choose their favorite Korean dramas. It invited massive support, and within one week, 22000 voters cast their votes.

Korean Wave website introduces filming sites

The Top 10 dramas in the final list are well-known and classic dramas. Clinching the Number 1 spot is "Winter Sonata" starring Bae Yong-Jun and Choi Ji-Woo with 27% of the votes.

"Winter Sonata" set the craze for Korean dramas in Japan, NHK Television not only repeated the drama three times, it's late-night broadcast time slot also garnered double-digit viewership figures.

So the drama deserves the first spot.

Coming in at a close second is "Beautiful Days"with 23% of the votes. This drama propelled Lee Byung-Hun and Choi Ji-Woo's status and popularity in Japan. Even Ryu Si-Won, who does not enjoy immense popularity in Korea as he did before, is reaping the fruits of this drama's success. Ryu has been nicknamed "Forever Prince" by the Japanese press, and his two singles released this year entered the Top 5 in the Oricon Charts.

Third is Bae Yong-Jun's other production, "Hotelier".

Other dramas in the Top 10 list include "Stairway to Heaven", "Lovers in Paris", "Summer Scent". "Dae Jang-Geum" which was popular in Hong Kong managed a 7th spot in the rankings.

To ride on the Korean wave, the Korean National Tourism Organization, in collaboration with other companies have set up a website to introduce the Korean dramas. Set in four languages including Korean, Japanese, Chinese and English, you can find the biodata and information of 68 Korean stars and 250 Korean dramas. To learn more about Korea, please visit this website http://www.hellohallyu.com

Top 10 "Favorite Korean Dramas"

1. Winter Sonata - Bae Yong Jun, Choi Ji Woo (27.3%)

2. Beautiful Days - Lee Byung Hun, Choi Ji Woo (22.7%)

3. Hotelier - Bae Yong Jun, Song Yun Ah (12.7%)

4. Stairway to Heaven - Kwon Sang Woo, Choi Ji Woo (12.0%)

5. Lovers in Paris - Lee Dong Gun, Kim Jung Eun (7.2%)

6. Summer Scent - Song Seung Hun, Song Ye Jin (5.4%)

7. Dae Jang Geun - Ji Jin Hee, Lee Young Ae (4.7%)

8. Autumn in my Heart - Song Seung Hun, Song Hye Gyo (3.7%0

9. All In - Lee Byung Hun, Song Hye Gyo (3.2%)

10. Happy Together - Song Seung Hun, Lee Byung Hun, Jeon Ji Heon (1.1%)

^

Related article to share from the above pics, previously posted at Everyone Has a Secret movie thread.

Copied from Everything LBH thread, thanks to dewa130 for the Bahasa Indonesia - English translation.

- from an article published in a Japanese magazine

CJW AND LBH ABOUT SECRET LOVE

After working together in BD, CJW and LBH are back together in the movie Secret. Different from their usual sad/mellow roles, this film is the story about an innocence girl who dreams about sex and is intoxicated with love for her sister boyfriend. What are their opinions about this film, shd love be a secret or be publicize?

Q : this is the second time you work together after BD, what are ur impression about each other?

LBH : She hasn’t change much, still beautiful. We have become very close friend so the shooting was very smooth.

CJW : When I start reading the script, I thought this role was perfect for BH, and I was right it was him. He hasn’t changed, still professional. As this was a romantic comedy, he has given me a lot of advise which was very useful to me Example ; during the bed scene, if a women was telling me to do this and that, it would have been very awkward, instead BH gave me suggestion on what we should do, he is very understanding.

Q : Compare to BD , which role are easier?

LBH : from acting point of view, nothing is easy. Every film can make people laugh or cry its because of the efforts of the whole crew we can produce good results. Whatever roles I am playing, I will work give my best, without exception its a light comedy.

CJW : Actually I like sad story but this is different. I can feel the change, this is an exciting experience. Eventhough getting into the character role in BD was very difficult because sad story can be too excessive. But in secrets, I am playing a role that I have never done before, so it feels great and was a new challenge. (CJW can make her tears drop in 5 second that’s why she is name the queen of tears in Korea)

Q : Which part of the movie shd we lookout for ?

LBH : this is a very light romantic comedy, I think everyone will like it

CJW : look at byung hun intoxicating smile! In this film, look at that smile, certainly many women will be attracted to him

Q : as an artist, do you think that love issues should be publicize or kept a secret?

LBH : I think every body has different opinion about this, some feel it is their responsibility to publicize it and some thinks that private life should not be influence by the public and best kept secret

CJW : its better not to be found out, too many paparazzi! Once found out there is no end!

Q : in this age where everything is false, do you expect a prince in a white horse or a women that is wise?

LBH : gentle, humble, wise...but I am also gentle.... I think she and I should be balanced, if not no matter how much love we have , it may changed one day.

CJW : I am a type that never dream about prince, I only hope that he is a man with authority bearing, have a sense of responsibility, can fight for his family and career, makes me feel that my life is complete because of him. The most important thing is two people that are not afraid to face hardship hand in hand.

Source: Indonesian magazine - My Idol No. 31, May 2005 -

A BD MV for all BD fans

Credit to Ping at bhjwlove.com

kissss.jpg

MV-Memory of Beautiful Days

mmst://netvideo.netvigator.com/a3331150430511721118319012119.wmv

Guest heidsc

Good to be back with the forum.

BD is my fave. LBH , CJW, and RSW are great actors. They moved the audience with their talents.

fell in love with the characters. they are just so cool and so sensitive.

LBH scenes with CJW are really sweet. i almost fell in love with LBH too. :)

spread the word of this great K series.

Shin Min Ah is really pretty too.

bd_mashimaro2.jpg A Trip Down Memory Lane

June 4, 2001

[Entertainment] Lee ByungHun in 'Beautiful Days'

Source: Naver l Thanks to mistymorning EverythingLBH for the wonderful translation ^^

Even with common (and overused) plot devices, the drama was successful, and most ofthe viewers picked Lee Byung Hun's attraction as the 1st reason of the success

LBH's popularity changed the love triangle into one with a particularly short edge and increased his lines, and to prevent giving him the death of his lover, the storyline was changed by rescuing the heroin from leukemia. 

The drama comment boards were filled with love letters from ajumma's sending love to LBH and on last week's ending party of Beautiful Days, fangirls gathered to see him. It looks like he's having the best time on 10th year since his debut.

But Mr Lee seems to be very tired, after completing this drama. "This was the most difficult project, among the dramas and movies that I did" giving the reason why this was difficult because it wasn't easy acting. "I got used to movie style of taking scene by scene carefully, so fast shooting dramas was very hard"

"My nickname is 'one more time'. I would like to take scene until I'm satisfied, but that's not possible in the broadcast drama, which is always short on time"

This maybe due to his perfectionist tendency, but his success in the movies - JSA: Joint Security Area and Bungee Jumping of Their Own - makes LBH pushing himself even harder. Mr. Lee commented that "It feels like I shot 12 movies during 4 months I did this drama " This shows his feeling of relief completing the 24-episode drama winning his own nerves, even being hospitalized the first time since his debut as an actor.

20010516_2.jpg 20010516_1.jpg
LBH 2001.05.16 (photo credit as stated)

Mr. Lee wanted to have some down time for a while. He doesn't want to show himself in a patient gown again. He realized truth of his seniors' advice, saying "To be a real actor, stamina is important."

He still have drama contract with broadcasting company and his popularity and acting skill seems to be in top form. He got more than 40 scenarios, but he'll pick next project carefully. "I think scenario is the most important in choosing project. I'm not reading it right now even if I have some time to do that. I'll start reading when I have enough time and ready to concentrate on it."

At one time, he was just an star actor with box office failure, but now he's known for box-office hits with acting skill. It seems that "Beautiful Days" is another of his jobs well done.

bd25.jpg

Guest heidsc

Good to be back with the forum.

BD is my fave. LBH , CJW, and RSW are great actors. They moved the audience with their talents.

fell in love with the characters. they are just so cool and so sensitive.

LBH scenes with CJW are really sweet. i almost fell in love with LBH too. :)

spread the word of this great K series.

Shin Min Ah is really pretty too.

^

Hi heidsc, welcome back to soompi! good to have you here at the BD thread! Would love to hear more from you about this beautiful romance. :wub:

---------------------

Min-chul calls Yeon-soo and tells her to be ready for him. He drives her to a boutique and instructs the floor staff to dress Yeon-soo. Yeon-soo is upset with Min-chul's manipulations and rejects him. Min-chul urges her to help him out, she relents. Sung-chun is angry to see Min-chul arriving at the party with Yeon-soo and confronts him.Min-chul spots Yeon-soo alone and approaches her, knowing her love for art, he brings her to a gallery. Yeon-soo points out her favorite piece of painting to Min-chul. Min-chul confides in her that it is his mother's death anniversary.

5-1.jpg

Credits: beaudays.tripod.com & PlanetBH0712

I believed this is the first time that Minchul really realizes his attraction to Yeonsoo, who's actually a 'backup date to spite his dad' seeing her so nicely made-up... a simple yet beautiful soul... could he even have her?

Guest Purple Daze

I love this series! Have so many versions of it that it's insane.

LBH & CJW were superb and the chemistry between them was amazing!

I've never seen a series where so much can be said without words.

Have to give the actors props for being able to do that.

Guess it shows that LBH and CJW are very talented/gifted actors.

I have yet to watch a series with chemistry that can match theirs.

Thanks for this thread!

Guest Mrs. Lee

Welcome to the thread Purple Daze! and Hello to Heidsc!

I agree with you Purple Daze! It was the intense gaze of Minchul that speaks! :wub: :wub: :wub: ahhhh Minchul's eyes!!!!! *gigifainting*

Purple Daze said:

I love this series! Have so many versions of it that it's insane.

LBH & CJW were superb and the chemistry between them was amazing!

Have to give the actors props for being able to do that.

Guess it shows that LBH and CJW are very talented/gifted actors.

I have yet to watch a series with chemistry that can match theirs.

Thanks for this thread!

Hi Purple Daze! You've said it well! Despite the years, Beautiful Days' romance remains... beautiful and sweet till the end. And the chemistry is just awesome! BD was my BH and JW's firsts... and it stays unmatched. LBH even had excellent chemistry with RSW as the brothers they never were while LBH & CJW... need we say more, Minchul's rough & tough personality melts when he met Yeonsoo and she practically glows each time she sees him. The drama had major production flaws, many would agree but the chemistry and acting of the cast glued everything together ... not to mention the fans to their TV/PC sets! :lol:

Share more of your BD thoughts and comments, ok!

wish1500x376.jpg

wish2500x372.jpg

wish3500x373.jpg

Spoiler

wish4500x371.jpg

Spoiler

0000000891350_O500x372.jpg

Captures from byunghunzzang.com

Guest Anakim

Another BD fanatic reporting for duty. Min-chul and Yeon-Soo forever and ever! I plan to watch it again one of these days -- as a stress reliever. Too bad I only saw two or three episodes of BD when it was shown in our country locally. I really wanted to see how the lines were translated to Tagalog. I almost fell out of my chair watching the episode where Yeon-Soo was rejecting Seon-Jae after the latter admitted his feelings for her. She was telling him that she's in love with Min-Chul. But it was more effective and to die for in tagalog: "Mahal ko ang kuya mo!" with full conviction . sigh. I instantly included it in my list of BD fave scenes.

Lots of dramas have come and gone. Some made an impact -- fleeting though.

Im still in love with beautiful days...

Oh yeah, I saw this drama a long time ago. But, I have a question about a song in there. Do any of you guys remember Sena's rival (Min Ji's friend, the girl with te blonde hair too)? That girl that came out with a song at the same time Sena came out with the song titled Heaven in the drama? What was her song? It was pretty good, but I don't know which song it is. I've always kind of wondered what it is; it was nice Kpop song.

Related drama captures from various sites & fan-sharing at EverythingLBH

Check out more photos compiled at our Gallery Ep 1 l Ep 2 l Ep 3 l Ep 4 l Ep 5 l Ep 6 l Ep 7 l Ep 8 l Ep 9 l Ep 10 l Ep 11l Ep 12 l Ep 13 l Ep 14 l Ep 15 l Ep 16 l Ep 17 l Ep 18 l Ep 19 l Ep 20 l Ep 21 l Ep 22 l Ep 23 l Ep 24 l BD MISC 

EverythingLBH.com thanks every fan-sharing ardently with our utmost gratitude

Beautiful Days 아름다운 날들 2001

A Classic Romance to Remember

bdays_115.jpg

bd_cast.jpg

Episodes: 24 
Broadcast network: SBS 
Broadcast period: March 14, 2001 to May 31, 2001 
Starring: Lee Byung Hun, Ryu Si Won, Choi Ji Woo, Shin Min Ah, Lee Jung Hyun, Lee Yoo Jin
Screenwriter: Yoon Sung Hee
Director: Lee Jang Soo
Related Links: SBS Official Site l koreanwiz.org l cinemaservice.com l spcnet.tv l Beautiful Days Fansite(recommended) l wikipedia l d-addicts.com l hancinema.net

bdays_1.jpg

In Beautiful Days, Lee Byung Hun as Lee Minchul, fully demonstrated his charismatic screen presence and acting powerness, creating one of the most unforgettable character in Korea drama. The drama brings his acting career to greater heights creating legions of fans that are memorized by Lee Byung Hun. 

Lee Minchul, a man with such arrogance and dominating with his presence, he is not one to allow any mistakes by himself or others. But emotionally, he is the most vulnerable man who never allows anyone to enter his heart. To others, he is the ruthless 'crown prince' with such capability that he is admired for his talent but yet unapproachable. In his world, only his sister matters, and no one else. Since he was young, he hated his father for ruining their family and leading to his mother's death. And hence in turn harboured hostility towards a half brother and stepmother whom he treats as the ones who break up their family. 

Lee Minchul is never one to give up, he strived hard to prove himself and to his father, that he is no weakling to be ruled over. This young man grew up with such a strong wall to protect himself. But yet, the wall crumbles when he meet Yeon Soo. This woman will change his life completely and his heart too. Yeon Soo's gentleness open the door to Minchul heart and it unleashed that passion in him to love a woman with such strength. The intensity of his love has created such an unforeseen sexy appeal to Lee Minchul whom many fans had been memorized by his magnetic graze. But the strength of Lee Minchul lies in the complexity of this character, the struggles within this man, his vulnerability and his determination, his desires and hatred, his love and sorrow was so powerfully portrayed through the actor Lee Byung Hun. This is a must watch for those who are eager to learnt what lure many to be caught within the spell of Lee Byung Hun and the experience is a unique and unforgettable.

bdays_98.jpg

Lee Byung Hun as Lee Min-chul 
Ryu Shi Won as Lee Sun-jae 
Choi Ji Woo as Kim Yon-soo 
Lee Jung Hyun as Kim Se-na 
Shin Min Ah as Lee Min-ji 
Lee Kyung Jin as Jung Myung-ja (Sun-jae's mother) 
Lee Jung Gil as Lee Sung-chun (Min-chul's father) 
Ha Jae Young as Lee Young-jun (Sun-jae's real father) 
Lee Yu Jin as Kang Narae (Yonsoo's roommate/co-worker) 
Lee Sang Woo as Oh Jung-hun (composer/Sun-jae's hs upperclassman) 
Kim Dong Hyun as Min Kyu-suk (bodyguard, chauffeur) 
Lee Hwi Hyang as Yang Mimi/Kyung-hee (singer) 
Lee Ae Jung as Shin Jae-eun (sick girl) 
Baek Sung Hyun 

Beautiful Days (Ah Reum Dah Woon Nal Deul) uses some of Korea's well known actors to deliver a story of two orphan girls, two step-brothers and their entangled tale of greed, secrets and disloyalty. The story gives the main characters a chance to gain wisdom through life experiences. Both the story and the actors execute a great melodrama. 

The story is dynamic and realistically written. Showing the source of each main character's notable traits from painful experiences, the story starts in 1975, then forwards to 1985 and 1995, and finally picks up 5 years later in 2000 where most of the story takes place. Within the first two decades shown, the audience learns why Min-chul is unloving to most people, why his younger sister, Minji, is rebellious, and why Sun-jae is so obedient to their father. In 1995, the audience learns why there is heartache between Sina and Yonsoo. Even while the story falls short to offer definite conclusions to sub plots, it does offer closure by establishing the main characters' evolution or growth. Just as the audience is shown the source of the characters' troubles and pains, the drama continues to unravel situations that force the characters to change. The realism and complexity of the characters starts with the story; however, the cast does an excellent job of bringing them to the screen. 

The cast works great together. First, Lee Byung Hun shows Min-chul as the resentful, cold-shouldered son to his father, brother and step-mother. While to Minji he shows Min-chul as the caring, trusting brother. Both are attractive personalities that together make up a complex character. When he and Choi Ji Woo are in a scene together, Lee Byung Hun is strikingly bold and demanding, sometimes not saying much at all. In fact, some of the drama's best scenes are ones in which Lee Byung Hun doesn't have many lines in but requires just as much performance. For example, when he and Choi Ji Woo are in the movie theater, not a single word is said, but the heartache and pain Min-chul feels is shown in his expressions. As for Choi Ji Woo, she begins portraying Yonsoo as a strong woman that is cautious of Min-chul. Her stuggle to trust herself plays out well. Next, Ryu Shi Won is noble as the intimidated brother and offers a certain amount of gentleness to the Lee family. Finally, Lee Jung Hyun and Shin Min Ah both represent the younger disobedient sister well, making the outrageous squabbling scenes convincing. 

The story and cast of Beautiful Days illustrate characters' trials and growth skillfully. The complex beginning establishes a great source for the drama's development while the well rounded characters are carefully crafted and displayed. The two elements, story and cast, brings one of the better performed Korean dramas to audiences. 

As for the music of Beautiful Days with Korean Pop Star, Lee Jung Hyun, as part of the cast as well as a story that revolves around music industry characters, the drama has amazing power ballads and lovely musical scores. Both Lee Jung Hyun and Ryu Shi Won have tracks on the OST and when hearing their renditions the memories of the pain and happiness the characters endured in the drama are easily relived. The actual Korean musician Zero is also featured on the OST, bringing a soothing voice to climatic ballads, like Yak Sok (track 2), that makes the heart soar. 

Rating: Life Altering (5/5) by puccakiss79 Source: d-addicts.coms 

bdays_98.jpg

Introduction: 
Sun-jae's father and Sung-chun are like brothers. Sun-jae's father was murdered by Sung-chun in 1975 before Sun-jae was born. Sung-chun's involvement in the murder was covered up. 

In 1985 immediately after Sung-chun's wife dies, Sung-chun has Sun-jae and his mother move in with him and his children (Min-chul and Minji). Sung-chun tells everyone Sun-jae is his real son, but in actuality he is not. Min-chul and Minji hate their father, Sun-jae and Sun-jae's mother. Sun-jae meets Yonsoo and Sena while visiting Grace Home (an orphanage). Yonsoo is touched by Sun-jae's kindness. Yonsoo accidentally burns Sena with hot water and is guilt-ridden.

In 1995, Yonsoo leaves Sena at the orphanage to look for a job and earn money so that Sena can join her later. She promises to meet Sena at the Seoul Tower on Christmas Day. Fate eventually brings Yonsoo, Sena, Sun-jae and Min-chul together. (koreanwiz)

bdays_2.jpg

bdays_92.jpg

Yun Soo (Choi Ji Woo) and Sae Na (Lee Jung Hyun) grew up like sisters in an orphanage. Yun Soo is the nice, sweet, beautiful, etc., while Sae Na is bad-tempered, stubborn, and extremely selfish but carries a lot of pain with her. When they were little girls growing up, they got a visit from the president of a large record company and his stepson, Sun Jae (Ryu Shi Won). Sun Jae's real father was killed by his stepfather although no one knows the truth. His mom (Lee Kyung Jin), remarried when Sun Jae was around 10, but Sun Jae believes that his stepfather is is real father and his mom was a mistress. His stepfather has two other children, Min Chul (Lee Byung Hun), and Min Ji (Shin Min Ah). They hate Sun Jae and his mom for barging into their lives. When they are all grown, Yun Soo starts working at the record store managed by Min Chul to look for Sae Na, who she lost contact with 5 years earlier. Sae Na wants to be a singer so Yun Soo hopes that she will see her there someday. But when Yun Soo finds Sae Na, a misunderstanding keeps Sae Na from growing close with Yun Soo. To make matters worse, Sae Na falls for Sun Jae, while Sun Jae and Yun Soo grow close. Yun Soo is deadly caught between two guys while Sae Na struggles to be a singer. Also, will the truth about Sun Jae's father ever be revealed? 

Comments: very addicting drama with a good plot. the ending is not so obvious and the casting is pretty good too.

Background of the characters Source: beaudays.com l PlanetBH0712

bdays_c10.gif bdays_c23.jpg

Lee Min-chul (Lee Byung-hun)
Decisive and arrogant, Min-chul is the son of Lee Sung-chun. His father's marriage leads to a long-standing hostility with his step-brother, Lee San-jae. His greatest concern is his sister, Min-ji, who is rebellious and confused in life. He is strongly attracted to Yeon-soo and opens his heart to her however, the realisation of his father's past crime threatens to destroy his newly found happiness.

bdays_c16.gif bdays_c24.jpg

Kim Yeon-soo (Choi Ji-woo)
Gentle and optimistic, Yeon-soo is an orphan with a zest for life and dreams of being an artist. She devotes her sisterly love to Sae-na, despite their misunderstanding. As Min-ji's governess, she patiently guides her in life, in spite of Min-ji's hostility. Despite San-jae's affection for her, she stands firm in her love for Min-chul however her illness lands her in an emotional struggle of her love for Min-chul.

bdays_c11.gif bdays_c18.jpg

Lee San-jae (Ryu Si-won)
Kind at heart, San-jae is the son of Lee Yong-jun and Jang Myong-ja. Faced with Min-chul's hostility since young, he attempts to bridge their differences, however, his affections for Yeon-soo further widen their relationship. With a deep passion for music, he explores his talent under a pseudonym, Zero. The realisation of Yong-jun's actual death and his actual birthright corners him into a dilemma.

bdays_c13.gif bdays_c19.jpg

Kim Sae-na (Lee Jung-hyun)
Wilful but kind at heart, Sae-na harbours dreams of being a successful singer. Orphaned since young, she finds a friend in Yeon-soo but her misunderstanding towards Yeon-soo creates a rift in their sisterly love. Sae-na develops a crush on San-jae but is dismayed to learn of his affections for Yeon-soo, this further threatens her trust for Yeon-soo. However, Yeon-soo's sincerity and illness touches her and they rebuild their relationship.

bdays_c12.gif bdays_c21.jpg

Lee Min-ji (Shin Min-ah)
Hostile and rebellious, Min-ji is estranged from her father because of his marriage to Myong-ja. Her only solace is Min-chul, whom she adores and respects. She deems Yeon-soo's presence as an intrusion and Yeon-soo's affection for her brother rakes her jealousy. However, Yeon-soo's patience and sincerity tugs at her heart and she embraces their friendship whole-heartedly. Sung-chun's scandal forces her to mature rapidly and she abandons her rebellious nature.

bdays_c20.jpg

Kang Na-rae (Lee Yu-jin)
Boisterous and helpful, Na-rae is Yeon-soo's closest friend and confidante. She showers her with much care and shares her responsibility for Sae-na . She strongly objects to Yeon-soo's love for Min-chul due to the discrepancy in their status, however, she later plays a major part in their reconciliation. With Sae-na's step into stardom, she fulfils her dreams of being an artiste manager.

bdays_c15.gif

Lee Sung-chun (Lee Jung-kil)
Sung-chun accidentally killed his best friend, Lee Yong-jun over a dispute. Carrying a torch for Yong-jun's wife, he keeps his crime a secret and married her, resulting in a rift with his own children. Upon Kyong-hee's return, his secret is exposed which leads to Myong-ja's suicide. The scandal takes a toll on his business and destroys his relationship with San-jae, however, he finds comfort in Min-chul and Min-ji's forgiveness.

bdays_c14.gif

Jang Myong-ja (Lee Kyong-jin)
Kind-hearted and submissive, Myong-ja is a victim of circumstances. For the sake of her son, San-jae, she agrees to marry Sung-chun after her husband's death, which incurs the wrath of his children. When Min-chul finally realises the truth, his amiability warms her and she looks forward to better days ; unfortunately, the truth of Yong-jun's death crumbles her, guilt-stricken, she turns to suicide.

bdays_c17.gif

Yang Kyong-hee (Lee Hee-hyang)
A famous singer in her heyday, Kyong-hee was framed by Sung-chun for a drug charge. She learns of Yong-jun's death and is unable to forgive Myong-ja for remarrying. Upon learning of Sung-chun's involvement in Yong-jun's death, she leads San-jae to the truth and convinces him to seek revenge for his father. Impressed with Sae-na's talent, she offers her an opportunity to be a singer. 

bdays_c25.jpg

Review by Zhen Yin at soompi.com

bdays_111.jpg

'Beautiful Days' has been my all-time favorite drama and I would like to share my views on this beautiful drama. To me, a beautiful day is defined as a day shared between two individuals who are truly and deeply in love with each other. Regardless of any problem or obstacle they may encounter, each day is a beautiful day, as long as they have each other. 

'Beautiful Days' depicted the compelling love story between two beautiful people from very different backgrounds, who were brought together by the hand of fate. A beautiful, touching love story that had endured the passage of time and surpassed every hurdle in the way. It illustrated that the path of love is not a bed of roses. The path is often strewn with ups and downs, as well as difficulties. But, as long as the couple is bonded strongly in their hearts and minds, nothing will be able to draw them apart and their love will find the desired fulfillment. 

bdays_100.jpg

Lee Min Chul (Lee Byung Hun), on the exterior, he was cool, dynamic and magnetically attractive. Highly confident and capable in his work, he took challenges in his stride and excelled in every one of them. The men admired him for his impeccability and capability at work, and hold him in high regard. On the other hand, the women were drawn to his masculinity like a moth to a flame. Though he was aware of the effect he had on them, he remained aloof and indifferent to their attention. However, his nonchalant demeanor served to intensify his appeal to the women. To them, he was the ideal man in their wildest dreams. He symbolized style, charisma and sensuality, everything they desired in a man, but yet, he was unattainable. This made him even more irresistibly attractive. But, unbeknownst to many, deep down, he was a lonely man, yearning for love. There were wounds in his heart that needed to be healed. He had an unhappy childhood. Having lost his mother at a tender age, he and his younger sister shared a very close kinship. To him, his sister was his most important family and he would do everything in his power to protect and provide for her, in order to let her live a happy and carefree life. 

bdays_9.jpg

He bore a bitter grudge towards his father throughout the years for not fulfilling his responsibility as a father. His bitterness was also deepened by his father's decision of remarrying and bringing his stepmother and stepbrother home to live with them. The resentment and pain that had accompanied him as he grew up had molded him into a serious and reserved man. 

Love was a foreign emotion to him. He did not believe in love, until love came to him in the form of Yeon Soo. Initially, he had only meant to tease her, as he had never met a woman like her. There was something special about her that distinguished her from the other women that he had mingled with. Subconsciously, his heart began to open up to her gradually. She had unknowingly touched a responsive chord in his heart and awakened his senses to feel love. He also came to realize that she was the only one who could fill the empty void and heal the agony in his heart. When he finally came to terms with his true feelings, he realized that he had already fallen deeply and hopelessly in love with her. Only she could bring him happiness and make his life complete. 

bdays_13.jpg

Kim Yeon Soo (Choi Ji Woo), a simple, kind-hearted and sweet-looking girl who grew up in an orphanage. Her warm personality had enabled her to have many friends at the orphanage and they also enjoy being around her. In the orphanage, she was very close to Sae Na, whom she looked upon as her very dear sister. Though they were not related by blood, she regarded Sae Na as her most important family. She was also willing to do anything within her means and make sacrifices on her part to ensure Sae Na's well-being and happiness. As a sister, she had given her very best to Sae Na. 

In the matters of the heart, she had inadvertently come between two brothers, who were both in love with her. One was warm, friendly and sensitive, whereas the other was cool, reserved and serious. She felt comfortable with the easy-going younger brother, San Jae, but yet her heart was strongly attracted to the quiet, intense and enigmatic elder brother, Min Chul. 

Whenever Min Chul was near her, her heart would miss a few beats and her eyes would be drawn to where he was. Each time their eyes met, she would fall under the spell of his piercing gaze. In spite of his aloof facade, she found her heart drawing close to him. She knew she was losing her heart to him. He dominated her thoughts and surrounded her senses. Although she knew in her heart it was risky to fall in love with a man like him, she could not resist the magic of his magnetism. Before she could stop herself, she gave her heart to him completely. However, fate dealt a harsh blow to her and shattered her dream of fulfilling love, when she discovered she had a terminal illness. 

Lee San Jae (Ryu Shi Won), the gentle, musically talented stepbrother of Min Chul. His mother married Min Chul's father after the demise of his own father. Despite his passion for music, he was denied the chance to have a career in this area by the instruction of his stepfather. This agonized him greatly. Hence, he could only pursue his passion under a pseudo identity, 'Zero'. The songs he composed were very popular over the Internet and had also stirred up much attention in the music scene. Though there was much speculation about him, no one actually knew his real identity, until much later. Since young, he had tried very hard to establish a closer relationship with his stepbrother and sister, but his efforts were in vain. They ostracized him totally, making his attempts futile. He was deeply hurt by their actions, but he did not blame them, as he could understand their reasons for doing what they did. 

bdays_37.jpg

Yeon Soo was the glimmer of light in his depressing life. She brightened his life with her sweet disposition and genuine smile. With her, life became hopeful for him. Thinking about her and being with her brought immense joy to him. She was the angel in his life. Before long, he also lost his heart to this sweet angel. 

Kim Sae Na (Lee Jung Hyun), the character you love to hate. She was immature, willful, spiteful, insensitive and stubborn. Her obstinate character made it difficult for people to treat her cordially. The only person who was able to bear with her intolerable attitude was Yeon Soo. Many times, she had said or done mean things on purpose to upset Yeon Soo. There were also countless times when she took Yeon Soo for granted and hurt her feelings repeatedly. But regardless of her actions, Yeon Soo remained gracious to her faults. At the same time, she resented the fact that Yeon Soo was the object of San Jae's affections, rather than her. She tried means and ways to gain his attention, but he only had eyes for Yeon Soo. As a result, this had also caused the gap between her and Yeon Soo to widen. 

Yet, from another perspective, she was a victim of her own circumstances too. From young, she had learnt to protect herself and mask her disappointments by putting on a belligerent front. She was unwilling to show her soft side to anyone, except Yeon Soo, for fear of appearing vulnerable. To her, it was not acceptable to be seen as weak, for she was afraid that others would use her weakness as a weapon against her. In a way, it was also understandable why she behaved the way she did. 

bdays_103.jpg

Afterthoughts 

Spoiler

Min Chul and Yeon Soo had come a long way before their love blossomed into fruitful fulfillment. Obstacles were cast in their way one after another, testing their feelings for each other again and again. Each time, whenever their love was about to reach a higher level, something would occur to hinder their progress. 

San Jae's feelings for Yeon Soo also implicated the development of their relationship at some point in time, though later on, he chose to continue loving Yeon Soo in his own way. But ultimately, true love prevailed. Min Chul and Yeon Soo's deep love for each other enabled them to overcome every single obstruction in their path. Not even Yeon Soo's illness could tear them apart. 

It was amazing to witness Min Chul's gradual transformation from the cool, reserved man to the caring, loving husband every woman longed for. Indeed, love does wonderful things to people and it has the power to thaw even a heart made of glacier. 

Lee Byung Hun's performance in 'Beautiful Days' is remarkable. He has delivered an outstanding portrayal of his character, Lee Min Chul. Throughout the whole show, I could not take my eyes off his suave, imposing image. I was also very impressed with how well those stark white shirts fitted his proportional frame. In my opinion, Lee Byung Hun is a versatile actor, who is able to become the character he is given to portray. In 'Beautiful Days', he had masterfully captured the essence of Min Chul and portrayed the character with finesse. His character as Min Chul had also left a lasting impression in my heart. I believe he would generate the same impact in me for any role he takes on. 

Finally, I just want to say, watching 'Beautiful Days' has been a beautiful experience for me.

bdays_114.jpg

Beautiful days Kiss scene
http://www.youtube.com/v/9e02PYej2E4

Beautiful days final concert 
http://www.youtube.com/v/R8cPnToGQKI

bdays_112.jpg

Guest ChocoMilkShake

It's great to see the BD thread up and running again! Couldn't log in to soompi for the past couple of days... it got kinda frustrating... back thankfully it's fine now!

Hehehe, I see that many of us were totally mesmerized by Minchul... but who wouldn't, with all his intense gazes. *swoons*

Even now no other k-drama has come close to BD's status in my heart! Seeing all those screencaps makes me wanna go watch BD again, I never get tired of it despite watching it over and over so many times! Sigh, unfortunately so much school work waiting for me... :o

Archived