[Drama 2001] Beautiful Days 아름다운 날들

rubie

bd_mashimaro2.jpg A Trip Down Memory Lane
June 4, 2001

[Entertainment] Lee Byung Hun in 'Beautiful Days'

Source: Naver l Thanks to @mistymorning for the translation ^^

Even with common (and overused) plot devices, the drama was successful, and most of the viewers picked Lee Byung Hun's attraction as the 1st reason of the success

LBH's popularity changed the love triangle into one with a particularly short edge and increased his lines, and to prevent giving him the death of his lover, the storyline was changed by rescuing the heroin from leukemia. 

The drama comment boards were filled with love letters from ajumma's sending love to LBH and on last week's ending party of Beautiful Days, fangirls gathered to see him. It looks like he's having the best time on 10th year since his debut.

But Mr Lee seems to be very tired, after completing this drama. "This was the most difficult project, among the dramas and movies that I did" giving the reason why this was difficult because it wasn't easy acting. "I got used to movie style of taking scene by scene carefully, so fast shooting dramas was very hard"

"My nickname is 'one more time'. I would like to take scene until I'm satisfied, but that's not possible in the broadcast drama, which is always short on time"

This maybe due to his perfectionist tendency, but his success in the movies - JSA: Joint Security Area and Bungee Jumping of Their Own - makes LBH pushing himself even harder. Mr. Lee commented that "It feels like I shot 12 movies during 4 months I did this drama " This shows his feeling of relief completing the 24-episode drama winning his own nerves, even being hospitalized the first time since his debut as an actor.
20010516_2.jpg 20010516_1.jpg
^ LBH 2001.05.16 (photo credit as stated)

Mr. Lee wanted to have some down time for a while. He doesn't want to show himself in a patient gown again. He realized truth of his seniors' advice, saying "To be a real actor, stamina is important."

He still have drama contract with broadcasting company and his popularity and acting skill seems to be in top form. He got more than 40 scenarios, but he'll pick next project carefully. "I think scenario is the most important in choosing project. I'm not reading it right now even if I have some time to do that. I'll start reading when I have enough time and ready to concentrate on it."

At one time, he was just an star actor with box office failure, but now he's known for box-office hits with acting skill. It seems that "Beautiful Days" is another of his jobs well done.bd25.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

February 26, 2014

Choi Ji Woo Signs with YG Entertainment 

CJ E&M enewsWorld Grace Danbi Hong 

After rumors and much talk surrounding the topic, it was revealed that Choi Ji Woo did in fact sign with YG Entertainment. 

On February 26, YG Entertainment stated through a press release, saying, “Choi Ji Woo recently signed with YG and became a part of YG Family.”

86526438.jpg

With her star power in Japan and China through her various projects like Winter Sonata and Stairway to Heaven, Choi Ji Woo and YG Entertainment hope to create a synergy effect through YG Japan, YG Asia, and other YG-affiliated companies. 

YG Entertainment also recently attracted talented actors such as Cha Seung Won, Im Ye Jin, and Jang Hyun Sung, growing as a management company for actors. 

“Choi Ji Woo joining the company, along with Cha Seung Won, Jang Hyun Sung, and Im Ye Jin last month, will be a big help in making YG a strong company for actors,” said YG Entertainment. 

Photo Credit: CJW Entertainment

• 5 months later...

Lee Byung Hun has been tagged by his BD co-star and close friend, Choi Ji Woo... will he do it?

August 22, 2014

Google-translate from Nate ++

YG Entertainment Facebook shared today that actress Choi Ji Woo participated in the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge.

The actress later called out the challenge to nominate PD Yoon Suk Ho, actor Lee Byung Hun and actress Lee Yeon Hee to join in the challenge.

2014082213402378370_1.jpg

August 23, 2014

Ice-bucket challenge spreads

By Lee Sun-min INSIDE Korea JoongAng Daily

Many local celebrities are participating in a viral fund-raising campaign, the so-called ice bucket challenge that started in the United States. 

The campaign by ALS Association is to raise awareness of Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, more commonly known as Lou Gehrig’s Disease. The progressive neurodegenerative disease affects nerve cells in human brains and the spinal cord. 

A participant needs to douse themselves with a bucket of icy water and then nominate three other people to do the same within 24 hours - or donate $100 to the association. 

Actor Zo In-sung, comedian Yoo Jae-suk, singer Jun Hyo-sung of the girl group Secret are among the many that have participated in the campaign. They continue to call out to more celebrities to join the movement. 

Many sports stars, including Ryu Hyun-jin of the LA Dodgers and former national footballer Lee Young-pyo, have also joined in. 

It was reported that the ALS Association has collected $31.5 million in donations since the campaign started earlier this month, about three weeks ago. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

December 31, 2014
Woman Crush Wednesday: “Beautiful Days’” Kim Yon Soo
By akinahana89 l soompi.com
WCW_KimYonSoo_Feature.png
2001 was a year that I can’t really recall in detail, but I do remember one thing in particular; it brought me one of my all-time favorite dramas. Even after fourteen years, “Beautiful Days” still ranks incredibly high on my list, out of the hundreds of dramas I’ve seen, and it’s one where I re-watch often.
There are family secrets, terminal illnesses, and old drama clichés aplenty, but it’s also heartrending and, true to its title, beautiful in so many ways. “Beautiful Days” also had one of the largest script changes to ever occur to date, where the intended male lead took a backseat early on in the drama and allowed the original second lead to gloriously shine due to viewers’ demand.
As if that wasn’t already enough of a fanservice, the ending was also completely changed to suit the viewers as well, bringing a sweet, happily ever after for our OTP when our female lead walks the road of recovery, rather than succumbing to her disease. I would be the first to admit that, had it not been for these wondrous changes, I probably would have hated the drama, so I always re-watch with appreciation and gratitude.
But beyond that, “Beautiful Days” also gifted me with something else and that’s Kim Yon Soo, our beloved female lead. She absolutely sizzled with the love of her life, Lee Min Chul, and provided so many reasons as to why she’s Woman Crush Wednesday worthy. I can’t wait to gush about her, so let’s get started, shall we? (Spoilers ahead!)
1. Kim Yon Soo stands her ground.
WCW_KimYonSoo_Ground-540x540.jpg
She’s usually soft-spoken, introverted, and a little shy, but anger her or push her buttons on an issue she has a strong opinion about and Kim Yon Soo won’t back down so easily. When she’s suddenly thrust with the responsibility of caring (or baby-sitting, as the case may be) for an immature, temper tantrum throwing, and bratty teenager, who hates her guts, but also happens to be her boss’ younger sister, it wasn’t an easy situation for Kim Yon Soo to adapt to; however, she pulls off her authority with a surprising fierceness and gets the job done well. As if that didn’t already portray her versatility, Kim Yon Soo worked even more of her magic on Lee Min Ji by transforming her ill tempered behavior into a cheery and classy attitude. Lee Min Ji even came to love and respect her completely, which is probably a miracle in and of itself.
Kim Yon Soo also knows to speak up in matters related to romance and relationships. She speaks her mind and isn’t afraid to lash out at Lee Min Chul when he’s being illogical. She has pride and dignity, refusing to let others look down upon or humiliate her. Their opposite personalities make them the perfect match like yin and yang; Kim Yon Soo is soft with a hidden firmness while Lee Min Chul is cool on the exterior, but with a secret vulnerability that only Kim Yon Soo can see.
2. She’s most loyal to her family – even if they aren’t blood related.
WCW_KimYonSoo_Family-540x270.jpg
Kim Sena, Kim Yon Soo’s younger sister from the orphanage, had a really nasty attitude for the majority of the drama, especially towards her older sister. Despite the way she lashed out and hated Kim Yon Soo over a misunderstanding, even going so far as attempting to emotionally hurt her, Kim Yon Soo never held it against her. When she was receiving the brunt of Kim Sena’s negativity, Kim Yon Soo only felt even more pity and sorrow towards her, because she was able to understand the difficulties her younger sister was internally struggling with. Having grown up in an orphanage together, Kim Yon Soo held a deeper understanding of Kim Sena’s complexity compared to other people. Truthfully speaking, if Kim Sena had been my younger sister, I would have just left her alone as she so desperately seemed to want, but Kim Yon Soo was determined to win her over and rekindle their family relations. In the end, Kim Yon Soo is, of course, successful in becoming close with her again, even without having cleared up the misunderstanding from so many years ago. I think she’s truly a miracle worker.
3. Kim Yon Soo has dreams.
WCW_KimYonSoo_Dreams-540x540.jpg
She has ambitions and she doesn’t let anything hinder her from the path she wants to take. It may have taken her seven years and counting of on-and-off college to get to the point where she becomes eligible to teach art, but Kim Yon Soo got there through her will and perseverance. Her financial difficulties, impossible as it may seem to escape from, didn’t deter her from attempting to achieve her dreams. Even when she had to use up her entire savings for Kim Sena, Kim Yon Soo still didn’t give up her dreams. She only became more determined to work harder in order to earn back that money to pay for tuition and continue pursing what it is she wants to do with her life. Her passion for the arts is clear and it is that same apparent love that allowed Lee Min Ji to embrace her own artistic talents and to find a new sense of joy from doing what it is she loves. This is also indirectly related to Kim Yon Soo’s other dream, which is to have a warm and happy family. In the end, Kim Yon Soo accomplishes that too, simply by spreading her love and joy to those around her.
4. She’s strong in the face of hardships.
WCW_KimYonSoo_Hardships-540x540.jpg
This time, I’m not talking about Kim Yon Soo’s financial difficulties. I’m talking about the sudden shocker she was dealt with at realizing she was sick. With something so serious, I imagine that a lot of people fall apart and while Kim Yon Soo had her moments of weakness, which were more than understandable, she didn’t stay down. She became courageous and fought her illness with everything she had. She had the will and desire to live, to love, and to survive and she sought to do just that. Through her own method of trial and error, Kim Yon Soo found what worked and didn’t work for her, coming to terms with the adjustments she had to make in her lifestyle. Although she initially chose not to “burden” Lee Min Chul, when everything was laid out in the open, she found a different kind of strength within herself because of him. She never allowed herself to become weak for long and always tried to face her situations with a strong, positive attitude.
5. She’s relatable.
WCW_KimYonSoo_Relatable-540x540.jpg
No matter what kind of situation she had to face and what kind of ordeals were thrown at her, Kim Yon Soo behaved and reacted in utterly normal and respectable ways – ways that everyone could understand and accept or would have done ourselves. She’s a perfectly average individual dealing with everyday obstacles that can happen to anyone else and the beauty of Kim Yon Soo and “Beautiful Days” is that inner strength and normalcy is portrayed with a heavy sense of motivational inspiration. Life is full of the unexpected, but also of miracles, and Kim Yon Soo, with each episode, proves that very fact. We have the ability to see ourselves within her just as she could see us all in herself because by being average and flawed and troubled and burdened, Kim Yon Soo is being human – so normally, so typically, so everyday human – that she is perfect and wonderful and beautiful. Kim Yon Soo is the epitome of “beautiful days” because she allows us to see that, yes, every single day can be and is beautiful.
So, how does Kim Yon Soo, our last Woman Crush Wednesday of 2014, rank on a scale of 1 to 10? Which aspect of her did you like the most? How about the least? How accurate did you find my reasoning? Let me know in the comments below and don’t forget to nomination your woman crushes for January’s Mystery Reveal! See you next week, Soompiers, and happy new year! May your 2015 be grand with endless possibilities, love, happiness, peace, and beautiful days!!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

April 8, 2015

K-Drama Actors Cope With Real-Life Mental Health Issues And Still Deliver A Great Performance

BY Julie JonesKDramastars.com 

Lately, a few k-dramas have focused on male leads with mental health issues. Schizophrenia was the condition affecting Jo in Sung's character in "It's Okay, That's Love." Dissociative identity disorder, also known as multiple personality disorder, affected Ji Sung's character in "Kill Me, Heal Me."
But some k-drama actors have to deal with real-life mental health issues. And they manage to deliver a great performance despite these issues.
Former MBLAQ member Lee Joon, who currently stars in "Heard It Through The Grapevine," suffers from insomnia, caused by stress and bipolar disorder. The actor and singer admitted that he sometimes sleeps only 40 minutes in a 24-hour period.
When criticized for falling asleep during a program and not being admitted to Seoul University because he could not study, he told the Korean media outlet Newsen  about the disorder.
"I had no time to rest during that period. I knew that I had to study, but I couldn't. I have severe bipolar disorder and people only saw what was broadcast on TV. They don't see the effort behind the screen, such as late night rehearsals. No matter how hard I tried, my body just couldn't keep up with me."
Yet he continues to work hard to reach his acting goals.
Park Hae Jin and Lee Byung Hun have both struggled with depression. In the case of Park Hae Jin, the news that he struggled with depression hurt his career. Park was treated for anxiety and depression, which wound up exempting him from his two-year mandatory military duty. This led to some netizens accusing him of draft dodging. According to Korean military law, any man who has been treated for six months or hospitalized for more than a month at the psychiatry department of a hospital may be excused from serving. Park was cleared and although this temporarily hurt his career, it has recovered.
When Lee Byung Hun appeared on a 2013 episode of "Healing Camp" he said that he suffered from depression and panic attacks after his father died and left him in debt. 
"At the time, my drama "Beautiful Days" was really popular, and I was able to pay off the debt, I was supposed to be happy, but right then, I fell into depression," he said. "I felt like I was trapped in a small room. It was really difficult to even open my eyes. As soon as I opened my eyes, I wondered why I woke up. The happiest time was when I was asleep. I later found out it was depression."
Although the depression has lifted, he says he still occasionally suffers from panic attacks when he is in crowded places with unfamiliar people.
Cha Tae Hyun, who will soon appear in "Producers," also admitted to suffering from panic attacks.
"I began to suffer from the disorder when a top actor was cast for a role in a rival TV drama after the show I appeared in continued to do poorly in ratings," said Cha. The attacks can be severe. Cha once fainted during a flight and another time had to call an ambulance only a half hour before a concert.
Given the problems these actors cope with, it's even more impressive that they manage to deliver a top-notch performance.

• 7 months later...

Remember the young hot-headed Kim Sae Na? Now a leading actress and making her mark in the Korean movie industry. Well done, Lee Jung Hyun:)

th_congrats.gif

36th Blue Dragon Film Awards

Best Leading Actress

Lee Jung Hyun for "Alice In Earnestland"

이정현/사진=스타투데이

The espionage film “Assassination,” directed by Choi Dong-hun, received the top honor at the Blue Dragon Film Awards, which were held at the Hall of Peace at Kyung Hee University, Hoegi-dong, Dongdaemun District, central Seoul, on Thursday night.

“Assassination,” set in 1933 and featuring a stellar cast including Ha Jung-woo and Jun Ji-hyun, was released in July and has attracted more than 10 million moviegoers. 

The awards for Best Actor and Best Actress went to Yoo Ah-in (shown in photo) of the historical film “The Throne” and Lee Jung-hyun of “Alice in Earnestland,” respectively.

Lee of “Alice in Earnestland” burst into tears as she made her acceptance speech. “I didn’t expect to receive an award because it was a low-budget film,” she said. 

“Alice in Earnestland” is a black comedy that traces the life of a working-class housewife who struggles to pay off her debts. 

Lee, who debuted as an actress in 1996 but later became a big-name singer in the early 2000s, received numerous awards when she performed as a singer, but this was her second film award since her acting debut. 

Source: INSIDE Korea JoongAng Daily

• 1 month later...

IT'S BD'S KIM SAE NA AND LEE MIN CHUL IN 2016! 

January 2, 2016

This is from Lee Jung Hyun's instagram. 

She wrote: START THE NEW YEAR WITH GREAT PEOPLE. 

If not mistaken she also wrote about going to watch 'Inside Men: The Original'

Source: Xportsnews

1451708178660.jpg

Top L-R: Lee Hee Joon, Dir. Jung Doo Hong, PSY, (?), Lee Seung Gi

Bottom L-R: Jo Seung Woo, Ko So Young, Lee Jung Hyun, Lee Byung Hun  

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived