Asian Issues And Racism

Guest heygingersnap

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest x`aNNiie.

I think there are people who benefit from reading this thread but some of the opinions posted here is just messed up. Im not Filipino but i'm pretty sick of reading comments that they aren't asians. Why does every asian forum im part of have this discussion its just like "get the point, their country is IN ASIA"like OMG O__O. Even though this thread asked about your opinions, but what if YOUR country was mentioned constanty, would you feel sick of it? i really feel sorry for these people who have to defend for Filipino's. They have a better life than having to do this.

Guest DarknessFalls

The majority of people here fails to mention Cambodia as being apart of ASIA, with the exception of 2-3 long posts.

It's not that people fail, it's that people don't really think of Cambodia. Everyone here can probably name a bunch of countries/ethnicities that people in this thread or in general usually over look whether it's Thai/Laos/Khmer/Mien/Hmong/Burmese/Indonesian/Malaysian/Tibetan/etc.

If someone feels something should be noted or taken into consideration, this whole thread is to let that person come out and share that information. I think instead of people saying "people fail to mention KHMERS or HMONGS", people should start posting some useful information that might support the fact that there are Asians that may look entirely or live entirely different than the typical Chinese, Japanese, or Koreans.

A good example might be some pictures of dark-skinned KHMERS, since some people has this idea that "ASIANS" are not dark therefore others who are dark are not ASIAN.

Guest x teehee

It's not that I don't think Filipinos/Indians/etc. are Asians, but I think of Asians more as Chinese/Japanese/Korean. I think people have just been using "Asian" in replacement of "Oriental Asian" so people naturally assume Chinese/Japanese/Korean rather than Indian. I'm not being racist or anything, but I think one reason is skin color. People just sort of naturally divide at those things, even though at the end of the day, we're all Asian! haha :) hmm. Another reason would be that...sometimes it's just hard to tell Chinese/Japanese/Korean apart, which is why I think they're sort of grouped together :sweatingbullets:

Guest TakkiJae

Wah, you must feel bad. i feel sorry for you.

i dont get some parts is your mother not the one who gave birth to you? or a step mother, if its step mother than it explains alot.

Guest pencil_geeks*

It's not that people fail, it's that people don't really think of Cambodia. Everyone here can probably name a bunch of countries/ethnicities that people in this thread or in general usually over look whether it's Thai/Laos/Khmer/Mien/Hmong/Burmese/Indonesian/Malaysian/Tibetan/etc.

If someone feels something should be noted or taken into consideration, this whole thread is to let that person come out and share that information. I think instead of people saying "people fail to mention KHMERS or HMONGS", people should start posting some useful information that might support the fact that there are Asians that may look entirely or live entirely different than the typical Chinese, Japanese, or Koreans.

A good example might be some pictures of dark-skinned KHMERS, since some people has this idea that "ASIANS" are not dark therefore others who are dark are not ASIAN.

i believe khmer is the language they speak in cambodia. khmers are not people. they're cambodians.

if i'm wrong, excuse me.

but.. idk why some of the flipinos consider themselves as a pacific islander when japan isn't exactly connected to asia as well. they might as well consider japanese people pacific islanders as well if they're going to think like that.

Guest DarknessFalls

i believe khmer is the language they speak in cambodia. khmers are not people. they're cambodians.

if i'm wrong, excuse me.

but.. idk why some of the flipinos consider themselves as a pacific islander when japan isn't exactly connected to asia as well. they might as well consider japanese people pacific islanders as well if they're going to think like that.

The Khmer people are the predominant ethnic group in Cambodia, accounting for approximately 90% of the 13.9 million people in the country. Part of the larger Mon-Khmer ethnolinguistic peoples found throughout Southeast Asia, they speak the Khmer language. The majority of the Khmer are followers of the Khmer style of Buddhism, a highly syncretic version which blends elements of Theravada Buddhism, Hinduism, animism and ancestor-spirit worship.[2] Significant populations of Khmers reside in adjacent areas of Thailand (Northern Khmer) and the Mekong Delta region of neighboring Vietnam (Khmer Krom). The Khmers are usually typical of Southeast Asians in physical appearance, similar to Thais and Laotians. But physical variations are far from homogeneous as a result of centuries of intermixing with Indians, Malays, and Chinese people.

Contents

Japan isn't the only island that is in the Pacific that is considered part of Asia. So that whole argument of Philippines being an island in the Pacific, therefore they are Pacific Islanders? is defeated.

Most of us here who rail against racism often forget that open-mindedness and acceptance is not easy. The ability to think outside the box -- to realize that there are OTHER people in this world besides yourself who are worse off than you -- takes enormous intelligence, humility, and heart. It seems most of us here have been blessed with the ability to see that way.

Imagine if we lived in a world where you didn't have to care about what other people are feeling or doing. You could just say and do whatever you want without worrying about the consequences. Life would be a lot easier, would it not? I think this is the thought pattern of most people in this world. Life is hard, so they will do whatever it takes to reduce mental stress, even if it means keeping stereotypes and excluding others. Selfish-ness and closedmindedness are the easy way out.

So what's the solution? How do we get 100 billion people to see the world the way we see it? I have no answer. I'm still young, and I intend to figure it out as I continue to live. The only solution I can think of is for us "smart" people to continue living the way we think life should be lived. If everyone around you is making fun of someone, then you treat him with respect and show them how it should be done. I think if you can get ONE kid to think differently, you've done your part in this world.

Wah, you must feel bad. i feel sorry for you.

i dont get some parts is your mother not the one who gave birth to you? or a step mother, if its step mother than it explains alot.

She is my step mother.

Guest mochamist

Koreans esp. the older generations are extremely close-minded. Sometimes I get annoyed with my relatives because they sound really racist at times, esp. to Chinese and Japanese. I think this is because they are not as liberal and haven't really learned how to think critically like the newer generations learn in school. They just accept the consensus of their time. They don't realize that some of their assumptions are unfounded and too extreme to be realistic. It's okay to have Korean pride...but not at the expense of demeaning other races. I don't think that's genuine pride if you're basing it off of others' faults, not to say that countries haven't done wrong to Korea because they have.

All families and cultures are racist at the beginning of some point, but we can break the cycle. I personally don't agree with everything my parents believe in, including some aspects of religion and culture, even though parents always seem to bizzarely think their way of living and raising kids is the best and only way.

Guest loveex3

that was really rude of them..

i'm korean, and i have to admit.

koreans can be like that -_-

but then again, aren't all asians?

but w/e you do probably won't change anything..

sorry about what you're going through though

Guest imgonnaownu

It's not that I don't think Filipinos/Indians/etc. are Asians, but I think of Asians more as Chinese/Japanese/Korean. I think people have just been using "Asian" in replacement of "Oriental Asian" so people naturally assume Chinese/Japanese/Korean rather than Indian. I'm not being racist or anything, but I think one reason is skin color. People just sort of naturally divide at those things, even though at the end of the day, we're all Asian! haha :) hmm. Another reason would be that...sometimes it's just hard to tell Chinese/Japanese/Korean apart, which is why I think they're sort of grouped together :sweatingbullets:

Well then again those are other ethnicities who do that, not Asians. I'm sure, being Asian yourself, you should be able to tell yourself who's Asian, not what other ethnicities say.

Most of us here who rail against racism often forget that open-mindedness and acceptance is not easy. The ability to think outside the box -- to realize that there are OTHER people in this world besides yourself who are worse off than you -- takes enormous intelligence, humility, and heart. It seems most of us here have been blessed with the ability to see that way.

I don't think certain people are blessed with the ability to be compassionate about these issues--a person needs to make these choices on his/her own. All the time, we are given the choice to follow the crowd even at the stake of going against our beliefs, or to stand up for those beliefs at the risk of being ridiculed. It does take an enormous amount of intelligence, humility, and heart, though--I definitely agree with you on that.

-ginger

i went out with a black guy for like 3months. and during the 3 months ALL THE BLACK girls started hating on me. even my black girl friends, that i've known more than him...they all started hating on me cuz i was going out with a black guy..

my mom tells me that the reason why black girls don't like girls of other races dating black guys is because there are apparently too many black women and not enough black men for them. it's called the "marriage squeeze", even though it oftentimes applies to just dating and not marriage.

I think my mom is a racist :\

Guest DarknessFalls
Well then again those are other ethnicities who do that, not Asians. I'm sure, being Asian yourself, you should be able to tell yourself who's Asian, not what other ethnicities say.

True. I also don't see the point of skin color because it would be like saying a Dark Korean, Chinese, or Viet isn't Asian based on their skin color. Doesn't make sense to me. This is a good example of how we are all victims of enforcing stereotypes <_<

Guest ilovejaejoong

oh GOD some people in this thread are so annoying and ignorant my heart and my head hurts.

i am filipino, born and raised in the philippines, and currently residing in the philippines. i am not 100% filipino, so i do not look like the typical filipino or the typical asian even. GOD some people disturb my peace and it takes a LOT to disturb my peace. PLEASE people PLEASE, read more. i love how some people are very informative, THANK YOU so much for educating the IGNORANT.

i have to keep reminding myself that stupid and ignorant people exist so that the smart ones have a reason to be smart. BE SMART!

some people's OPINIONS are just so disgusting and revolting T_T

oh yeah to answer the topic question:

to me, an asian can be someone that lives in asia, shares the asian culture, or is of asian descent (i'm not saying that asian is an ethnicity!).

Oriental doesn't mean asian to me.

When I think oriental, I think oriental rugs, and when I think oriental rugs, I think persian rugs.

So now I ask you: are persians oriental? Or are they asian? Or what are they?

I heard in england, asian includes persian, while oriental doesn't? wow.

In England it's just the opposite Asians means Oriental and Oriental means Asian.

I feel the same as your example with the rugs. To me oriental is indian, persian, egyptian etc.

While Asian to me is Japanese, Korean, Chinese, Vietnamese, (Filipino) etc.

*shrugs*

Archived