Is There Much Chinese Hip-hop/r&b Music?

Guest Chojo

Looks like we mostly have ballads for now...?
Hey peeps, I"m pretty new here ... but anyways... B)

Does anyone know if there's much of Chinese Hip-Hop/R&B industry? It seems like right now our music scene is dominated mostly by slow ballads, slow "rock" songs, overly happy bubblegum pop or "power pop". I mean, it's pretty good, and since the Chinese music biz is so focused on stuff like ballads, it's probably the best at producing slow songs, but it's hard to say the same for other genres I guess?

So do you guys know of any Chinese Hip-Hop/RnB artists? I'm really interested because I"m always trying to find new talented Chinese artists, haha. As for "real" Hip-hop/RnB artists I only know Khalil Fong, MC Hotdog (he kinda gets annoying though), MC Witness, and Nicky Lee... except Nicky Lee is Korean.... lol... but he's still a citizen of Taiwan.

I don't really count people like Jay Chou or Wang Lee Hom, Vanness Wu or David Tao as "real" hip-hop or R&B cause if you look at their whole discography, they probably a little more than half of their songs are just the slow ballad type.. haha.. but that's just me. You could count them too if you want, but it's just my own opinion. But even bands like Nan Quan Ma Ma seem to have more "mellow and chilled out" music than upbeat stuff.

So basically, does anyone know of any good Chinese hip-hop/R&B?

And also, what's everyone's thoughts on the "mellow/chill music" and ballad-dominated Chinese music industry?

Discuss! :lol:

Guest EHNerJI

haha idk about 'good' cuz i don't really listen to it XDD

but there's like... Yin Ts’ang, Redstar, Dumdue, THP Family, D Evil,

Hi Bomb/ 黑棒, Dragon Tongue/龙门阵, MP4, MC沙洲, LMF,

really though, there's not much chinese hip hop that i know of XD

mainstream, at least XD yeah, that's all i can think of right now =/

Guest Tonyc402

Check out 24Herbs if you want cantonese rap, they are pretty good imo. Also check out 小宇(Xiao Yu) Taiwanese R&B singer , his debut album is really good and has a very good soulful R&B voice ,as well he writes his own songs.

don't know much, but try Tension, they're an R&B group. i don't think they come out with music anymore, but they are still pretty good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96BUShbcbaM...feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Zj9eIeICQY...feature=related

i listen to a lot of American R&B/Soul, so i don't think there are any truly great Chinese R&B/Soul artists because most Chinese people just aren't born with those kind of vocals.

Guest NO NAME?

Check out 24Herbs if you want cantonese rap, they are pretty good imo. Also check out 小宇(Xiao Yu) Taiwanese R&B singer , his debut album is really good and has a very good soulful R&B voice ,as well he writes his own songs.

I second Xiao Yu. His music is really good.

Guest arandomasian

This thread got me thinking. I guess there aren't really a lot of big name hiphop/RnB singers. People like Jay, Jolin and Leehom do some occasional hiphop sings but they are mostly pop. Khalil is old school RnB for sure but with a distinct Chinese infusion. He's excellent. We don't really have our versions of Big Bang or Epik High, or even Wonder Girls(S.H.E is ALL pop ballads).

Guest heartdrops

I third Xiao Yu :D.

Yeah, 24 herbs aren't bad either.

Guest v3rmillion

Fama! They're from HK though, but I think they're pretty decent. :)

and this site (http://asianrapworldwide.blogspot.com/) also showcases some Chinese artists

Guest ashley-x3

oh, im recently obsessed with this hong kong singer, haha

his style is more the r&b type and his songs are super =]

try LOVE SONG, really awesome ^_^

his name: KHALIL FONG - 方大同 ... from hawaii! but he moved to china when he was 6, he's 25 now

This thread got me thinking. I guess there aren't really a lot of big name hiphop/RnB singers. People like Jay, Jolin and Leehom do some occasional hiphop sings but they are mostly pop. Khalil is old school RnB for sure but with a distinct Chinese infusion. He's excellent. We don't really have our versions of Big Bang or Epik High, or even Wonder Girls(S.H.E is ALL pop ballads).

S.H.E has alot of fast songs o_O

what are you talking about

they do half half really.

Wilber pan has some fast songs that are good. JJ lin too.

Jay has some nice songs too.

Hmm.. yeah, I agree with you, we don't really have any groups that are dedicated MOSTLY to hip hop or R n B; we mostly got pop artists that occasionally do some hip hop/ R n B here and there. I'm just hoping that soon we'll get some more variety in the music business, haha...

Anyways, thanks for all your suggestions guys! I'll be sure to check them all out!

BTW... hmm is it just the videos I saw or is that Xiao Yu guy mostly do the slow love song thing too?

Listen to Da Mouth 大嘴巴 they sing in Mandarin and theyre Hip Hop and theyre so awesome :)

WHOA.... holy crap... haha sweet this is exactly what I'm talking about!! Thanks for letting me know about them!!!!!!!

I think these guys are one of the only REAL Chinese hip hop groups (not including underground or indie ones that we don't know about ... lol) out there... wow... This is JUST what I was looking for :D :D :D

Wow... I take back what I said about agreeing how Chinese people don't have their own Big Bang or Epik High... you guys should really check them out! I haven't seen anything like this in Chinese music since... ever... wow. I don't have words.. hahaha... I'm so freaking happy.. :sweatingbullets:

For all of you that haven't heard them yet, check this music video out, it's called 緊箍咒:

It's a really upbeat hip-hop/rnB song... with all these love ballads floating around with other artists, you'd never expect people to make something like that... :P

And also, here's another song if you like the more "mellow" hip hop.. and when I say "mellow", i mean it's STILL more upbeat than most of the other Chinese artist's own "upbeat songs"... but yeah this song reminds me of those rnb songs with the smooth grooves and a guy rapping over it.. it's really good too, it's called: 我就是喜歡你:

These guys are the real deal, people... it's actual hip hop, none of this corny stuff we see other people doing. I'm a HUGE fan of Jay Chou, he's my favorite artist in the world, but even I must admit that some of his "hip hop" songs like "Herbalist's Manual" or "Che" sound kind of cheesy and corny... especially to these new guys I found.

Check them out!! :D

PS: Can anyone do a biography search for these guys? I've heard that the rapper is 100% Chinese, the singer is 75% Chinese and 25% Korean, the DJ is 50% Chinese and 50% Japanese, and the female vocalist is 100% Japanese... is this true? But yeah, as long as the group's more than half Chinese, I won't feel weird calling them a Chinese group, hahaha :lol:

Guest miss scarlett

^ I think most people would consider them as a Taiwanese group more than a Chinese group. But either term works. :D

王元口力口 is the name of their album. The song you are referring to is actually called 緊箍咒. (王元口力口 is an amazing album by the way...)

Da Mouth is amazing. I don't know that much about them yet because I'm still a new fan, but they released their first album in 2007, and the year after, they won the award for Best Group at the Golden Melody Awards... which is amazing. S.H.E didn't win their's until... a couple years after they debuted. This is seriously saying something about Da Mouth's talents, and they're definitely not negelcted by the Mandopop industry. =D

Wait... I thought Harry is half Chinese, half Korean? O_O Aisa is definitely 100% Japanese... she holds a Japanese accent when she's speaking. I don't know if DJ Chunhua is half Chinese, half Japanese, but I do know that he was born in Taiwan and he lived in Japan for a while... MC 40 on the other hand is from Canada.

All I know about this group and how they started is that Aisa used to be part of this Taiwanese group called Sunday Girls. I don't know what happened to them, but they disappeared. Aisa then met DJ Chunhua (who lived in Japan for a while, so both of them could communicate in Japanese fluently), and their producers recommended them to be in one group. They then found MC 40 and Harry and formed DM.

Here are some recommended songs:

"Lean Over" (靠過來): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXEOwnyVwQc

"119":

"The King and Queen" (國王皇后): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9jMMGJNicY

"Always By Your Side" (永遠在身邊):

(This song is a remake of a Japanese song.)

A lot of their songs have this old-school hip hop influence... which is awesome. :)

Archived