Quantcast

August 21, 2017

[Herald Interview] Actor Jang Dong-gun once thought himself unattractive
Actor known for chiseled looks opens up about midlife slump, aspiration of ‘rough’ male life

When Jang Dong-gun made his acting debut in 1992 on “Our Paradise,” a TV drama about campus romance, he caused a stir in the Korean entertainment industry. 

Every country has an iconic actor who represents the epitome of attractiveness in a certain period. In modern Korea, it seemed that position would be filled by Jang, whose chiseled looks have since become synonymous with handsomeness. 

After 25 years in the public eye, Jang only now feels comfortable in front of the camera, he says. For the first time in his career, he’s ready to acknowledge that his facial features are indeed conspicuous -- almost a hindrance to his craft.

“I’ve decided to admit that I’m handsome now in front of everyone,” he joked at an interview Thursday in Palpan-dong, Seoul. 

Jang Dong-gun poses for a photo before an interview in Palpan-dong, Seoul, on Aug. 17. (Hohoho Beach)

Thoughtful by nature, Jang had been extremely careful in his acting decisions in his younger days, the 45-year-old said. Now, he feels a more intimate, trusting connection with the audience.

“There’s less room for misunderstanding, even if I make a mistake. I feel like people have come to know me, to know what I mean.”

Jang admits that despite his fame, he’s far from prolific. Few of his projects have led to massive commercial success, despite the bankability of his image. Wanting to build a serious career, he had been picky in his character choices -- perhaps to a fault, Jang says, looking back. Now realizing that hit shows or films are unpredictable, Jang is willing to take more risks. 

“If there were 70 good things about (a project) and 30 bad things, I would focus on the 30 and turn it down,” he said. “I regret that. It’s the other way around now.” 

On Wednesday, Jang will return to the big screen for the first time in three years with the cop noir “V.I.P,” distributed by Warner Bros. Korea. 

He plays the intelligence agent Park Jae-hyuk, who is tasked with protecting a North Korean serial killer -- an abhorrent criminal who possesses important insider information about the regime. Park starts out as a typical salaryman, considering himself disconnected with such lofty notions as justice. 

“But it’s a character that undergoes change in the latter half of the movie. That was one of the things that attracted me.”

Another aspect that made him say “yes” to the film was its director Park Hoon-jung, known for his depiction of dark, agonizing male figures in bloodstained noirs. 

Throughout his career, Jang has opted for brooding characters. In the 2004 war film “Taegukgi,” he starred alongside Won Bin as a protective older brother burdened with responsibility. In the 2001 film “Friend,” perhaps Jang’s most representative big-screen work, he plays the rebellious high-school student Dong-soo, the son of a undertaker. 

“I’ve thought about why I’m attracted to such films,” Jang said. “It’s like when you listen to a very depressing song. There’s some kind of catharsis that comes from feeling these dark emotions. That’s the charm of the noir.”

Jang also figures that on some level, these choices were a way to compensate for his “good-guy” looks. Due to his doe-like eyes and mild manner, Jang had been rumored to be one of the nicest actors in the business. 

But many men of his generation had harbored a desire to portray the rough mobster life, Jang explained. 

“We grew up watching Hong Kong noirs and films like ‘The Godfather’ and ‘Scarface.’ Those were like the Bible for male actors my age. It was an age for those kinds of male figures.”

After the 2014 thriller “No Tears for the Dead,” where he starred as a veteran assassin, Jang fell into a slump. 

“I think an actor has to have a bit of narcissism. I’m not sure why, but that was a period when I was running low on self-love. I wasn’t interested in myself, or anything else. Acting wasn’t fun anymore. I didn’t even want to watch movies.

“Could it have been a mid-life crisis?” Jang asks jokingly. 

He says he overcame the downswing this year while filming “A Night of Seven Years,” an upcoming thriller film directed by Choo Chang-min. 

“I’ve regained an interest in myself. I’ve started to look good in my eyes again.

“I think I’m in a place now where I’d be good in a comedy. I’ve spent such a long time pursuing a certain image. I was very constricted. I want to be more relaxed now.” 

Jang married actress Ko So-young in 2010, and they have two young children. At home, he says he’s a regular father who dreams of the day his children are grown-up and independent, but also simultaneously hopes they will remain young forever. 

“I’m worried about the teen years. I don’t think I will be able to handle the rebellion,” he says. 

By Rumy Doo (doo@heraldcorp.com)

• Like 1
  • Replies 14k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

August 22, 2017 Jang Dong-gun is ready to go again : After falling into a slump, the ‘V.I.P.’ star has finally hit his stride Source: INSIDE Korea JoongAng Daily After finding

Hi irilight, thanks for sharing the NICE photos. He looks so fine here.  >- ____________________________________________________ Korean actors and their Hollywood Counterparts Sometimes whe

Hi @irilight, how have you been? Hope that you have been well, we really missed you a lot at the threads. It's really good to see you back at soompi. V.I.P did indeed top the Korean B.O. upon its

August 22, 2017

Jang Dong-gun is ready to go again :

After falling into a slump, the ‘V.I.P.’ star has finally hit his stride

Source: INSIDE Korea JoongAng Daily

21211939.jpg
After finding himself in a creative slump, actor Jang Dong-gun is looking forward for his next movie “V.I.P” to hit theaters. [WARNER BROS. KOREA]

Actor Jang Dong-gun revealed in an interview with the Ilgan Sports, an affiliate of the Korea JoongAng Daily, that he was going through a creative slump.

He recalled, “It was my first time being in a slump since I began acting 25 years ago. It has come to me regardless of the success or failure of the work.” He is currently waiting for the release of “V.I.P.,” which he has a starring role in. The movie is directed by Park Hoon-jung and hits theaters on Aug. 23.

“In one moment, acting started to become uninteresting and hence, I lost my drive. I also lost interest in myself and all movies. I even refused to watch movies, no matter what others said about the movie,” said Jang.

“I had that period without a concrete reason, so it hit me even harder,” he added. “I didn’t know where to begin. However, I figured out that problems from work can be solved by work. And while filming ‘Night of 7 Years,’ everything went back into place.” The upcoming “Night of 7 Years,” based on a bestselling novel of the same name, was filmed in 2016. It’s release date has yet to be announced. 

“I was constantly thinking about what I could do and what I should show more of as an actor, but after filming ‘Night of 7 Years,’ I thought that I could be fresh and different once again,” said Jang. 

The actor is back on screen for the first time in three years thanks to his role in “V.I.P.” The action movie tells the story of an elite North Korean defector, played by Lee Jong-suk. He is suspected to be a prime suspect in a serial murder case and is being chased by the police, the National Intelligence Service and the United States’ Central Intelligence Agency, each for a different purpose. 

When asked whether he showed the movie’s script to his wife Ko So-young, a famous actress as well, and asked for some advice, he said, “I couldn’t show her, but I just let her know that I was cast on this kind of movie.”

“I got the script when I was in China, so I couldn’t show her. However, the atmosphere of the movie is quite different from what I have done in the past. I explained to her that the overall mood is quite heavy and the character looks demanding, so I asked her what she thought about it.” 

He further added that he and Ko don’t watch their work because they both feel awkward about it. He said he could not even watch one of Ko’s dramas with her. When he tried to watch the show with her, she refused and kicked him out of the bedroom. But he revealed, while laughing, that he “secretly watched it alone in the living room.”

BY CHO YEON-GYEONG [hong.youkyoung@joongang.co.kr]

• Like 2
On 8/19/2017 at 11:43 AM, irilight said:

I super look forward to seeing V.I.P

Jang Dong-gun Comes out with Another R-Rated Film

Actor Jang Dong-gun is set to show off his rugged side, taking on a tough-guy role in an action-packed spy film to be released next week.

"It was my first time wearing glasses for a role since a TV series I appeared in about 20 years ago. I felt unnatural, as if I were wearing a disguise. In fact I tried on about 100 pairs to find the right ones before shooting started," Jang said at a press event on Thursday ahead of the release of the film "V.I.P."

Thanks to his pretty face, he has played mostly warm, romantic roles on TV. But when it comes to movies, things are different. Like many of his films, the new film carries an R rating. Asked if his good looks limit the types of characters he can play, he replied, "Why should they?"

"I grew up watching 'The Godfather' series and Hong Kong noir films. Maybe that's why I tend to play dark and heavy characters. Like many other actors, I choose projects that suit my personal tastes," he said.

Jang was recently invited to throw out the ceremonial first pitch at a Major League Baseball game between the New York Mets and the Los Angeles Dodgers.

Jang is not only a baseball buff, but also a talented player, serving as the starting pitcher for an amateur team launched in 2003 by a group of actors and other celebrities as a social activity.

"We usually play on Sundays, but I haven't been able to play much for the past five years because I needed to spend time with my children," said Jang, who has a son and a daughter.

He and his wife, actress Ko So-young, are known to be a devoted couple. "So-young really brightened up and gained confidence from her appearance in the recent TV series 'Ms. Perfect,' which marked her return to acting after a 10-year break. Seeing her happy made me happy," he said.

SOURCE:

Hi irilight, thanks for sharing this. I'm happy that his movie surpassed “Taxi Driver” to become the No. 1 movie at the box office within its first day of its release. I read that according to the Korea Box Office Information System from the Korean Film Council, “V.I.P.” reached 10 million ticket sales and drew in 174,023 viewers. Wow - is this true? This movie must be good! Congratulations to the cast of “V.I.P. most especially to my bias, JDG”! Like you, I also look forward to watch this. Or I can wait when the DVD copy is available in the market. It's just that I hope it will have good subs, though. :tongue:

• Like 1
On 8/24/2017 at 11:29 PM, willenette said:

Hi irilight, thanks for sharing this. I'm happy that his movie surpassed “Taxi Driver” to become the No. 1 movie at the box office within its first day of its release. I read that according to the Korea Box Office Information System from the Korean Film Council, “V.I.P.” reached 10 million ticket sales and drew in 174,023 viewers. Wow - is this true? This movie must be good! Congratulations to the cast of “V.I.P. most especially to my bias, JDG”! Like you, I also look forward to watch this. Or I can wait when the DVD copy is available in the market. It's just that I hope it will have good subs, though. :tongue:

@willenette, wow. I had no idea... esp. that it surpassed Taxi Driver.. Really?

I actually read an article of criticism about it....

https://www.soompi.com/2017/08/25/new-film-v-p-embroiled-controversy-misogynistic-portrayal-women/

• Like 1

Hi @irilight, how have you been? Hope that you have been well, we really missed you a lot at the threads. It's really good to see you back at soompi.

V.I.P did indeed top the Korean B.O. upon its nationwide release on 8/23, opening at number 1 and still reigning over the weekend. However, the advance ticket booking rate is rather low, unlike the previous Korean movies opening at number 1. The movie still has not reached 1 million admission. It's the movie 'A Taxi Driver' that has surpassed 11 million admission. (Source: KoBiz)

From the reviews, the criticisms seem expected as the director was also the screenwriter for 'I Saw the Devil'. ISTD almost didn't make it on public screening unless it was edited. It was already too gory back then and I think for 'V.I.P.' the level has been increased a whole lot more.

August 26, 2017

August Movie Actor Brand Reputation Rankings Revealed

Source: Soompi by DY_Kim 

Park-Seo-Joon-Song-Kang-Ho-Jang-Dong-Gun1.jpg

On August 27, the Korean Business Research Institute announced the August brand reputation rankings for movie actors.

The results are based on the analysis of interaction, media coverage, communication, and community indexes for 165,104,765 pieces of big data on 50 actors from July 25 to August 26. This is a 16.53% rise from the 139,284,258 pieces of big data for the July ranking.

Park Seo Joon took first with a total brand reputation score of 9,716,059. Song Kang Ho placed second with a score of 8,815,009, and Jang Dong Gun followed closely behind with a score of 8,174,818. All three actors star in popular movies that are currently in Korean theaters, with Park Seo Joon in “Midnight Runners,” Song Kang Ho in “Taxi Driver,” and Jang Dong Gun in “V.I.P.”

Check out the top 25 of the ranking below:

1. Park Seo Joon
2. Song Kang Ho
3. Jang Dong Gun
4. Song Joong Ki
5. Kang Ha Neul
6. Gong Yoo
7. Ryu Jun Yeol
8. Kim Myung Min
9. Han Ji Min
10. Lee Jong Suk
11. Lee Jung Hyun
12. Kim Nam Gil
13. Yoo Hae Jin
14. Park Hee Soon
15. Lee Byung Hun
16. Hwang Jung Min
17. So Ji Sub
18. Jun Ji Hyun
19. Kim Soo Hyun
20. Lee Jung Jae
21. Kim Yun Seok
22. Go Soo
23. Han Hyo Joo
24. Yeo Jin Goo
25. Im Siwan

Spoiler

Brand-Reputation1.jpg

Source (1) (2)

• Like 1

August 29, 2017

[Korean Box Office] Star-studded ‘V.I.P.’ debuts strong despite criticism

Source: INSIDE Korea JoongAng Daily

28214506.jpg
Crime drama “V.I.P.” topped Korea’s weekend box office from Friday to Sunday. [WARNER BROS. KOREA]

Despite being hit with criticisms for its depiction of violence towards women, the newly-released crime drama “V.I.P.” was the winner of Korea’s weekend box office, while “A Taxi Driver” stayed close at second.

The star-studded “V.I.P.,” featuring Jang Dong-gun, Kim Myung-min, Park Hee-soon and Lee Jong-suk, topped the country’s box office from Friday to Sunday by selling 599,000 tickets at 996 screens, bringing its total ticket sales to 940,000 admissions since it hit theaters on Wednesday. 

Presented by Warner Bros. Korea and directed by “New World” (2013) director Park Hoon-jung, the film revolves around a serial killer from the North, who is being chased down by a national intelligence agent, the police and a team from the United States Central Intelligence Agency - each with their own agenda. 

Close behind was “A Taxi Driver,” which recently surpassed the ten million ticket sales milestone, and is nearing 11.4 million thanks to the weekend’s ticket sales, during which it sold 530,000 admissions. The Showbox-distributed flick, which became the first movie this year to achieve the milestone, accounted for 21.4 percent of the weekend’s entire ticket sales in its fourth weekend - not far behind the 25.1 percent of sales held by “V.I.P.”

The ticket sales difference between the second and the third movie was even closer. 

Buddy movie “Midnight Runners,” starring Park Seo-jun and Kang Ha-neul, rounded out the top three in its third weekend with 515,000 tickets sold.

The action comedy revolving around two awkward, yet ambitious Korean National Police University students who take tracking down criminals into their own hands has so far sold a total of 4.8 million tickets. 

“The Mimic,” Korea’s only local horror movie released this summer, held the fourth spot with 241,000 admissions sold while “War for the Planet of the Apes,” the last in a series of “Ape” trilogy, rounded out the top five with 203,000 admissions sold.

BY JIN MIN-JI [jin.minji@joongang.co.kr]

• Like 1
On 8/27/2017 at 5:29 AM, rubie said:

Hi @irilight, how have you been? Hope that you have been well, we really missed you a lot at the threads. It's really good to see you back at soompi.

Thank you very much @rubie. I missed you and other friends too, and that's why I am back.  :):wub:.
But according to @willenette VIP surpassed 1,000,000 ticket sales, whereas according to Hancinema it has not reached 1 Million in sales yet, while Taxi Driver has already surpassed 11,000,000 viewers.
Still I am eager to watch VIP because of the wonderful veteran cast. I have seen Taxi Driver, and thought it was phenomenal. By far the best Korean movie I have seen recently, and one of the best ever. Song Kang Ho is amazing, and deserves all the accolades for his performance in it.

[Photos] Added new Jang Dong-gun stills for the Korean movie "V.I.P"

photo882829.jpg

Added new Jang Dong-gun stills for the Korean movie "V.I.P" (2016)

Directed by Park Hoon-jung

With Jang Dong-gun, Kim Myeong-min, Park Hee-soon, Lee Jong-suk, Jo Woo-jin, Tae In-ho,...

Began filming : 2016/10/22
Wrapped up filming : 2017/01/20
Synopsis
A son to a high-ranked official in North Korea commits a series of murders going across the countries around the world. The movie depicts the following events as South Korea, North Korea and Interpol start chasing down after him.

Release date in Korea : 2017/08/23

photo882828.jpg

Spoiler

photo882827.jpg

photo882826.jpg

source

• Like 1
7 hours ago, irilight said:

Thank you very much @rubie. I missed you and other friends too, and that's why I am back.  :):wub:.
But according to @willenette VIP surpassed 1,000,000 ticket sales, whereas according to Hancinema it has not reached 1 Million in sales yet, while Taxi Driver has already surpassed 11,000,000 viewers.
Still I am eager to watch VIP because of the wonderful veteran cast. I have seen Taxi Driver, and thought it was phenomenal. By far the best Korean movie I have seen recently, and one of the best ever. Song Kang Ho is amazing, and deserves all the accolades for his performance in it.

With Jang Dong-gun, Kim Myeong-min, Park Hee-soon, Lee Jong-suk, Jo Woo-jin, Tae In-ho,...

Synopsis
A son to a high-ranked official in North Korea commits a series of murders going across the countries around the world. The movie depicts the following events as South Korea, North Korea and Interpol start chasing down after him.

Reveal hidden contents

photo882827.jpg

source

Hi irilight, actually, I'm confused, which is which because what I did was to post what I read - hahaha - Well, echoing what you said, I'm also eager to watch the movie. :tongue: BTW, have you heard that Jang Dong-gun and Hyun Bin will star in an action genre historical flick?  The film, tentatively titled “Outbreak,” tells the story of vicious night creatures that threaten to overtake a Joseon royal palace. Shooting is slated to begin Sept. 1. This is nearing...........The film is scheduled for local release next year. :tongue:

• Like 1

'V.I.P.' wins first weekend box office

restmb_jhidxmake.php?idx=5&simg=20170828

Three homegrown films -- "V.I.P.", "A Taxi Driver" and "Midnight Runners" -- waged a neck-and-neck race for box office dominance sweeping the top three posts over the weekend, data showed Monday.

According to the computerized box office figures from the Korean Film Council, "V.I.P." topped the weekend chart by selling 598,717 tickets. Directed by Park Hoon-jung, the crime thriller starring Jang Dong-gun, Kim Myung-min, Lee Jong-suk and Park Hee-soon is expected to surpass the 1 million mark on Monday as it has drawn 940,359 viewers since its release last Wednesday.

The R-rated film is about a South Korean police detective who stubbornly tracks down a high-profile North Korea defector as the prime suspect of a serial murder case in South Korea, and South Korean and U.S. intelligence officials who try to hinder the investigation for their own agendas.

(skipped unrelated.....)

source : http://kpopherald.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=201708280936458375869_2

• Like 1
15 hours ago, irilight said:

Synopsis

Reveal hidden contents

photo882827.jpg

source

Sending a big hug to @irilight welcome back! But now I envy you, too... because you've seen A Taxi Driver. :lol: Fans in the US are lucky because Well Go USA are able to screen the latest Korean movies in just mere weeks after opening in South Korea. Sure hope I'll be able to watch it too, somehow. Please share your thoughts, whenever you can, at the movie thread. It'll be a great sharing, I'm pretty much posting by myself over there. ^_^

VIP finally crosses the 1 million admission mark on Monday but noticeably much slower that its predecessor. It's regrettable that (some) Korean movies tend to highlight the explicit gory elements way too much that it potentially turned the audience away. I remember reading about ISTD screening at an international film festival that there were members of the audience who left halfway due to the extreme gory it featured.

August 29, 2017

VIP Squeezes Narrow Victory in Late Summer Opening
A TAXI DRIVER and MIDNIGHT RUNNERS Close Behind

by Pierce Conran / KoBiz

bgUEZKCYggmncesWwYod.png

With summer coming to an end and the humid heat making way for cooler breezes, cinemas saw a 30% dip in business as one new local release led a string of strong Korean holdovers, giving the domestic industry a commanding 80% advantage in the market.

Unseating three-time champ A Taxi Driver was PARK Hoon-jung’s North Korea-themed serial killer thriller V.I.P., which is the third production by Warner Bros. Korea following KIM Jee-woon’s The Age of Shadows (2016) and LEE Zoo-young’s A Single Rider. The picture debuted with a reasonable 599,000 entries (USD 4.55 million), with 940,000 sales (USD 6.87 million) recorded over its first five days. After a solid opening day on Wednesday, the film began to slow during the weekend and was almost overtaken by a pair of strong local holdovers. 

Down 45% in its fourth weekend was the summer smash A Taxi Driver which added 527,000 viewers (USD 3.87 million) to its tank for an 11.37 million spectator (USD 80 million) haul in 26 days. The film has now overtaken Silmido (2003) to become the 14th highest grossing Korean film of all time and should find its way into the top ten at some point this week.

Just behind during its third spin on the charts was the youth cop comedy Midnight Runners, which secured another 515,000 admissions (USD 3.77 million) after a 39% drop. That gives the film an impressive 4.83 million sales (USD 34.04 million) in 19 days.

Level in fourth place after slowing 53% in week two was HUH Jung’s horror film The Mimic as it brought in another 241,000 viewers (USD 1.73 million), giving it a 1.12 million entries (USD 7.95 million) so far.

Closing out the top five was the sophomore weekend of War for the Planet of the Apes which crashed two places and 70% as it brought in another 203,000 spectators (USD 1.51 million). The sci-fi trilogy capper has accrued 1.95 million admissions (USD 14.31 million).

It was also a strong weekend for indie releases as CHOI Seung-ho’s press censorship doc Criminal Conspiracy dipped just 9% for another 44,000 viewers (USD 328,000) for a strong 149,000 tickets (USD 1.07 million) to date, while KIM Jong-kwan’s star-driven omnibus The Table opened with 25,000 viewers (USD 188,000) in 10th place, with 35,000 entries (USD 256,000) overall.

• Like 1
On 8/28/2017 at 9:23 PM, willenette said:

Hi irilight, actually, I'm confused, which is which because what I did was to post what I read - hahaha - Well, echoing what you said, I'm also eager to watch the movie. :tongue: BTW, have you heard that Jang Dong-gun and Hyun Bin will star in an action genre historical flick?  The film, tentatively titled “Outbreak,” tells the story of vicious night creatures that threaten to overtake a Joseon royal palace. Shooting is slated to begin Sept. 1. This is nearing...........The film is scheduled for local release next year. :tongue:

Dear @willenette...  No worries.... Great minds... I was just reading about this new movie...:)

18 hours ago, rubie said:

Sending a big hug to @irilight welcome back! But now I envy you, too... because you've seen A Taxi Driver. :lol: Fans in the US are lucky because Well Go USA are able to screen the latest Korean movies in just mere weeks after opening in South Korea. Sure hope I'll be able to watch it too, somehow. Please share your thoughts, whenever you can, at the movie thread. It'll be a great sharing, I'm pretty much posting by myself over there. ^_^

VIP finally crosses the 1 million admission mark on Monday but noticeably much slower that its predecessor. It's regrettable that (some) Korean movies tend to highlight the explicit gory elements way too much that it potentially turned the audience away. I remember reading about ISTD screening at an international film festival that there were members of the audience who left halfway due to the extreme gory it featured.

Big hug back to you dear @rubie  Image result for hug clipart

Yes, I feel very blessed that we get more Korean (and Chinese) movies lately... ah.. thank you for letting me know there is a thread for Taxi Driver. It is late now, but I will check it out tomorrow.

oh dear.. explicitly gory? I do not like that either... most of the time... But will watch if some of my favorite actors are in it...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hyeon Bin and Jang Dong-gun at script reading for film "Rampant"

photo883930.jpg

"Rampant" has finalized casting and begins filming on the 1st of September. The action blockbuster is the story of Lee Cheong (Hyeon Bin) who stops an evil goblin that is only active at night and saves the Joseon. This is another collaboration between Hyeon Bin and director Kim Seong-hoon-III from "Confidential Assignment". In addition, the cast of the movie is staggering as it features Jang Dong-gun, Jo Woo-jin, Kim Ee-seong, Jeong Man-sik, Seo Ji-hye, Lee Sun-bin, Jo Dal-hwan, and Kim Joo-hyeok.

The script reading was held on the 23rd and despite the fact that it was only practice, the actors and actresses gave it their all. Hyeon Bin in the role of Lee Cheong made a speech prior to the reading that it was an honor to be able to work with director Kim Seong-hoon-III once again and that he was thrilled to be in a role that he's never been in before. Jang Dong-gun takes on the role of Kim Ja-joon, a minister of war who dreams of Joseon's reformation. It is his first historical movie in the twenty-five years of his career. He said the script got to him and he decided to go for it right away.

Jo Woo-jin plays Park Jong-sa, savior of the Joseon from the evil, Kim Eue-seong is King Lee Jo who becomes more obsessed with his throne as time goes by, and Jeong Man-sik is Han Soo, who takes care of Lee Cheong with all of his heart.

Kim Joo-hyeok is Lee Cheong's brother and Lee Jo's son Lee Yeong. The movie comes out in 2018.

source

• Like 1
8 hours ago, irilight said:

Big hug back to you dear @rubie  Image result for hug clipart

Yes, I feel very blessed that we get more Korean (and Chinese) movies lately... ah.. thank you for letting me know there is a thread for Taxi Driver. It is late now, but I will check it out tomorrow.

oh dear.. explicitly gory? I do not like that either... most of the time... But will watch if some of my favorite actors are in it...

True, the explicitly gory scenes can really be off-putting indeed. I still watch ISTD but fast-forwarded the torturous scenes, the fight scenes were nicely done though. The way the villain being tortured repeatedly like his victims suffered does make one wonder if it's necessary when it gets too dangerous and backfires.. (well, we can talk about that at the ISTD thread).

Anyway, getting back to JDG.. with a new Hollywood coming out today, V.I.P had fallen down to number 5 at the latest Korean BO tally. At the end, the word-of-mouth response can really be the ultimate promo tool that will make or break a movie no matter how much they spent with the marketing etc. At least V.I.P crosses the 1 million admission. You and I know other previously anticipated movies that didn't quite do so well.

Korean movies are actually one of the kind compared to the usual Hollywood flicks. The historical, patriotic, family and brotherhood themes are their strongest traits. However, it seems that some directors also wanted to 'provoke' the audiences' limit too much. And really, they can only do so much .

• Like 1
3 hours ago, rubie said:

Anyway, getting back to JDG.. with a new Hollywood coming out today, V.I.P had fallen down to number 5 at the latest Korean BO tally. At the end, the word-of-mouth response can really be the ultimate promo tool that will make or break a movie no matter how much they spent with the marketing etc. At least V.I.P crosses the 1 million admission. You and I know other previously anticipated movies that didn't quite do so well.

Korean movies are actually one of the kind compared to the usual Hollywood flicks. The historical, patriotic, family and brotherhood themes are their strongest traits. However, it seems that some directors also wanted to 'provoke' the audiences' limit too much. And really, they can only do so much

Sad for V.I.P. I really want Jang Dong Gun to have another mega hit...like Tae Guk Gi: The Brotherhood of War.  Personally I did like My Way as well, but the critics in the U.S. did not like it... I already watch very few American movies. I watch mostly Korean, Chinese, Japanese,and European films.

• Like 1
On 8/31/2017 at 3:24 AM, irilight said:

LSad for V.I.P. I really want Jang Dong Gun to have another mega hit...like Tae Guk Gi: The Brotherhood of War.  Personally I did like My Way as well, but the critics in the U.S. did not like it... I already watch very few American movies. I watch mostly Korean, Chinese, Japanese,and European films.

After watching JDG in All About Eve, I saw him in Friend -- such a drastic turnaround from his Kdrama prince role. After that saw him in Nowhere to Hide, 2009 Lost Memories and also Typhoon. But of course, Tae Guk Gi, earned him his Blue Dragon Best Actor back in 2004. I knew an ardent JDG fan from long ago, we were always chatting on Yahoo! Messenger back in those days and she was so thrilled that JDG finally won the coveted Best Actor award. We would, like, stayed up (due to different time zones) to catch up on the award news. When I finally saw the movie, it was just so sad to watch with unbearable feeling of regret. I thought Won Bin played his role really well, too. Too bad that WB after his multiple successes with Man from Nowhere (which in some ways, was also pretty graphic and gory), did not quite get the groove back to return to acting or maybe he's just not interested anymore. But it's understandable that actors wanted to push themselves as well, for the challenge and to keep themselves relevant in the ever-changing (with new actors emerging) industry. Maybe because of the need to improve/make an impact/maintain position, some may look for "bold & even bolder" scripts.. maybe. Sometimes it works, but lately it does not when there're too many movies with violent gangster-serial killer theme. Then, somehow it's the 'ordinary everyday character' movies that tend to attract the hard-to-please fickle moviegoers. Nonetheless, let's hope JDG's next movie will be a really good one. ^_^

Anyway, another article on VIP and other movies -- why the controversies

Time to add another JDG movie to the 10 million club after TaeGukGi

August 29, 2017

The Faster, the Higher
The Time Taken by Surpassing 10 Million Viewers

by CHO Meanjune / KoBiz

oKuaLMZQLGXPpLlZxRGf.jpg

The speed at which popular Korean films are passing the 10,000,000 viewer “blockbuster” mark has tripled. At least this is the case in a simple, parallel comparison of the time it took Silmido (2003), the first Korean film to accomplish the 10 million admissions feat, and A Taxi Driver, the 15th and most current film to do so. The amount of days needed for a film to become a blockbuster has gradually and steadily been decreasing over the past 15 years with a few, but notable deviations. The fastest to reach the over 10 million admissions mark is Roaring Currents (2014), becoming the highest grossing local film of all time with 17,615,039 moviegoers while CHOI Dong-hoon’s independent fighter action flick Assassination (2015) surpassed 10 million viewers on the 70th anniversary of Korea’s liberation from Japan on August 15th, 2015.

There is a close correlation between the time taken to exceed 10 million viewers and the number of screens. Masquerade (2012) and Miracle in Cell No.7 (2013), which had 810 and 787 screens respectively, took more than 30 days to surpass the milestone while The Thieves (2012), which was shown on 1,072 screens, managed the feat in only 22 days. The three Korean movies that surpassed the 10 million viewer mark within 20 days all started off with more than 1,500 screens. Among the 10 million viewer toppers, TRAIN TO BUSAN (2016) recorded the highest screen share with 1,788 screens.

On 8/31/2017 at 3:24 AM, irilight said:

Sad for V.I.P. I really want Jang Dong Gun to have another mega hit...like Tae Guk Gi: The Brotherhood of War.  Personally I did like My Way as well, but the critics in the U.S. did not like it... I already watch very few American movies. I watch mostly Korean, Chinese, Japanese,and European films.

Hi irilight feel sad & bad, too that his movie, "VIP" fell abruptly to fifth. I've watched this old movie also starring Wonbin & although not digging this kind of genre (war films) but I tried watching this mainly for both JDG & WB. I've watched this from my DVD copy & it's good - it didn’t drag for one single moment. This is surely one of the bloodiest war films I’ve ever seen. Brutal yet meaningful. Like you, I'm particularly a fan of Asian cinema, too - There are truly great films from this region. "Tae Guk Gi" joins the ranks of classic war epics.  It might be the most critically and commercially successful Korean War film to date. :tongue:

Jang Dong-gun appears in K-pop teaser

Actor Jang Dong-gun made an appearance in rookie band Le Ciel’s teaser image for its debut single.

The image, released by Demn Tiger on Tuesday, shows a close-up shot of Jang’s face.

Jang reportedly decided to pitch in on the new project, due to his acquaintance with Le Ciel’s producer.

Jang also had a cameo appearance in the teaser video for Le Ciel’s debut single “Thank You So Much.”

The group is slated to debut later this month.

(khnews@heraldcorp.com)

September 12, 2017

Jang Dong-gun, Kim Ha-neul to host Busan film fest opening

SEOUL, Sept. 12 (Yonhap) -- South Korean movie stars Jang Dong-gun and Kim Ha-neul will host the opening ceremony for this year's Busan International Film Festival (BIFF), organizers said Tuesday.

The two veteran stars will present the opening event for BIFF on Oct. 12, kicking off the 22nd edition of Asia's premier film festival, according to the festival. BIFF is held in the southern South Korean port city of Busan.

Jang, star of the spy-murder thriller "V.I.P.," which is currently playing in theaters, made his debut in 1990 and has appeared in numerous TV dramas and movies, such as "Friend," "Taegukgi: The Brotherhood of War" and "A Gentleman's Dignity."

Kim broke into show business with the movie "Bye June" in 1998 and has blossomed into one of the country's most prolific actresses. Her filmography includes "My Tutor Friend," "Too Beautiful to Die" and "On Air." She also shared the spotlight with Jang in "A Gentleman's Dignity" in 2012.

The festival will run from Oct. 12-21 with a lineup of 298 films from 75 countries around the world, one fewer than last year's 299.

This composite image shows actor Jang Dong-gun (L) and actress Kim Ha-neul. (Yonhap)This composite image shows actor Jang Dong-gun (L) and actress Kim Ha-neul. (Yonhap)

odissy@yna.co.kr

• Like 1