Jang Dong Gun 장동건

Admin

Guest Rhapsody

Was reading news on line and came across this featured article on JDG and decided to post it here for JDG fans to read. (i am not his fan but always interesting to share other news with other fans of other k-artistes)

http://www.nst.com.my/Current_News/nst/Mon...icle/index_html

New Straits Times » Features

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Promise of JANG

By GERALD CHUAH

Tuesday, January 03 2006, 01:14:13 AM

GERALD CHUAH looks past the good looks and charisma of South Korean actor Jang Dong-Guan and discovers a down-to-earth personality, eager to promote Asian culture with a mixed Asian cast in the movies he makes. WITH an impossibly handsome face and lean figure, it is no wonder that South Korean actor Jang Dong-gun is currently one of the hottest Asian stars. Arriving at Changi International airport in Singapore recently, clad in sunglasses, a red jacket, and a beret, he looked like a million dollars. Hundreds of fans, young and old, from his Adonis fan club had been waiting for him since morning. They carried placards and wore T-shirts bearing his name.

He waved at them briefly before being whisked away. This TV star turned movie actor has won numerous best actor and popularity awards since the mid 90’s. Considered one of South Korea’s Four Heavenly Kings — including Bae Yong Joon, Lee Byung Hun and Won Bin, Jang is one of the most sought after actors in South Korea today.

Famous for his TV drama All About Eve and his recent films like Taegukgi: The Brotherhood (2004), Friend (2001) and 2009 Lost Memories (2001), Jang has won international fans from Asia, North and Central America.

In November Time magazine featured him on the front cover. The magazine sold out everywhere, proving he has a large and growing fan base.

Fans claim they love him not only for his good looks, charisma, acting prowess and box-office appeal, but also his down-to-earth personality. He is humble, courteous and sincere — uncommon qualities among big stars.

During his birthday bash in South Korea in March, Jang gave away 2,000 roses to his fans, which is still the talk of town until today. Besides acting he also sings and plays basketball and ice hockey.

Jang was in Singapore to promote his new movie The Promise, an epic fantasy directed by Chen Kaige whose best known work is Farewell My Concubine. The US-Chinese-Korean joint production, is one of the most expensive production to date at US$35mil (RM133mil).

The film revolves around a love triangle between a general, a princess and a slave. The story begins with a young woman Qing Cheng (Cecilia Cheung), the most beautiful princess in the world, who lives a life of luxury and is spoilt by the king.

But being cursed, she will never enjoy true love unless “time can flow backwards and the dead can come back to life”.

Jang plays Kunlun, a slave from the Land of Snow, who battles the odds to be with Qing, his true love. Kunlun uses his ability to run “faster than the wind” to break the chain that fate has put on her.

The film has been getting rave reviews in China and is strongly tipped for an Oscar in Best Foreign Film at the Academy Awards. The filmmaking team includes cinematographer Peter Pau (Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon) and stunt coordinator Dion Lam (Infernal Affairs, Spiderman 2).

During the Press conference at the Ritz Carlton, Jang, speaking in Korean, said working on the film has been a great experience for him especially having the opportunity to act with other talented Asian actors like Cecilia Cheung, Nicholas Tse and Hiroyuki Sanada.

“It was a pleasure working with this multinational cast.” He hopes this collaboration will be a stepping stone towards more ground-breaking projects in the future that bring other Asian talents together.

Jang feels honoured being invited by director Chen to act in the film. He sees it as an opportunity to grow as an actor.

“We spent a lot of time rehearsing and discussing the movie,” he said, adding it was a learning experience working with Chen.

Besides the language barrier, Jang said another challenge was shooting for months in remote places in China. Watching the film for the first time after it was completed, Jang broke down in tears as it reminded him of the challenges he went through, and the bond of friendship he developed with the other actors.

Now that the film is a success, Jang is looking for another opportunity work with Chen and the rest of the team. Will there be Promise 2? Perhaps.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

© Copyright 2005 The New Straits Times Press (M) Berhad. All rights reserved.

Guest TY_KSW

offtopic: 2 hot mamas..audrey n inez will be busy tmr at school.... :)

Offtopic: hope there wud be 2 handsome/gorgeous teachers there to welcome them...

15_8_10.gif15_8_10.gif

Guest TY_KSW

In HKG ...

Luckily.. the man in pix was not our hubbi :w00t::w00t:

.. by the right side..he just stood n saw n wished he wud be tat man

2_1134529653.jpg

Tat gal turned back n asked him whether he wanted or not.. but he quickly say "no"

bcz he know there are many Soompi wives here are storaging ever-hold armfires.. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

3_1134529666.jpg

This is our loyalful hubbi.. 11_7_100.gif

3_1134532362.jpg

4_1134532384.jpg

That greedy man enjoyed by 2 hands full .. Our hubbi didn't..

3_1134531775.jpg

He enjoy wif other 2 men... :w00t::w00t:

4_1134531833.jpg

5_1134532489.jpg

Guest TY_KSW

Dear Jang's wives...For ur sipsiow on the first working day of year 2006

in HKG ....

He was killing hott n gorgeous...

20051217113043783.jpg

20051217113617172.jpg

Did u gals notice the present he was holding.. tat looked like a LingZhi mushroom.. :w00t::w00t:

20051217115443257.jpg

He did want the cake but tat greedy couple had stolen.. :crazy:

20051217121242903.jpg

Credit to Dreamer at JAng-donggun.com

source: www.ws-ws.com

in HKG ....

He was killing hott n gorgeous...

20051217113043783.jpg

20051217113617172.jpg

Did u gals notice the present he was holding.. tat looked like a LingZhi mushroom.. :w00t::w00t:

20051217115443257.jpg

He did want the cake but tat greedy couple had stolen.. :crazy:

20051217121242903.jpg

Credit to Dreamer at JAng-donggun.com

Mona..thank you!!!

but the teachers in Kylie's school are far from looking like JDG.. :P

OMG!!!!!!!!!the pics are soooooo...gorgeous!!

Azura finished SipSiow already?..

now...my turn to SS for one week!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

Guest TY_KSW

Mona..thank you!!!

but the teachers in Kylie's school are far from looking like JDG.. :P

OMG!!!!!!!!!the pics are soooooo...gorgeous!!

Azura finished SipSiow already?..

now...my turn to SS for one week!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

Notty mama.. u r now free.. since Kylie's in the schoollll..

I wud pick up her home earlier... to prevent her mama sipsiowing too much...

:angry::angry::angry:

20051217113043783.jpg

20051217113617172.jpg

How can i notice anything else???...

I only have eyes for this man.. :rolleyes:

In HKG ...

Luckily.. the man in pix was not our hubbi :w00t::w00t:

.. by the right side..he just stood n saw n wished he wud be tat man

2_1134529653.jpg

Upppsssss..........thank's GOD...it's not him doing such a thing like that....#sigh#

you know what gals...i think he would do that only with the one he loves....perhaps it could be me...

oh DONG GUN...if you are mine, every time you could be the one who make me feel alright...day all night..lalalalallalalla

hahahhahha

MOVIE REVIEW

'The Promise'

*The resonant, romantic martial arts tale, by Chen Kaige, is China's worthy submission for the Academy Awards.

By Kevin Thomas, Times Staff Writer

Chen Kaige's "The Promise," China's official Oscar entry, is lots of things all at once: an exquisite fairy tale, a glorious martial arts fantasy, a romantic epic of exceptional emotional resonance and a consideration of the paradoxical nature of destiny, in which Chen suggests that the workings of fate are no absolution for personal responsibility. Chen's masterful, deeply perceptive direction of his superb cast is equaled by the film's luminous cinematography, rich yet spare and stylized production and costume design, and rousing score. "The Promise," which has also been known as "Master of the Crimson Armor," looks to be a strong contender.

"The Promise" is also one of the most beautiful films imaginable, a briskly paced adventure of the utmost cinematic effect. In short, it's a knockout that works on many levels. Although the Weinstein Co. ultimately withdrew from distributing the film, Harvey Weinstein's role in clarifying the film's complex plot for Western audiences has been publicly acknowledged; the film, which has excellent subtitles, runs a satisfying 103 minutes, which is 18 minutes shorter than the version released to great success in China.

ADVERTISEMENT

At its heart is the eternal triangle, with an echo of "Cyrano de Bergerac" and Kurosawa's "Kagemusha." The delicate beauty Qingcheng (Cecilia Cheung) falls in love with the great military leader General Guangming (Hiroyuki Sanada), believing it is he who dared to kill an emperor in order to save her life. But her savior was actually the general's slave, Kunlun (Jang Dong-Gun), his identity hidden by the mask of the then-wounded military leader's magnificent golden headdress and crimson armor.

Every general requires a worthy adversary, and Guangming's is the endlessly wily, cruel and effete Wuhuan (Nicholas Tse), whose personal assassin Snow Wolf (Liu Ye) can run faster than the wind. Wuhuan for his own reasons also covets Qingcheng and at one point captures and imprisons her in an immense golden cage, covering her with a whitefeathered cape. In one of the film's countless breathtaking sequences, Kunlun, also in love with Qingcheng — naturally — rescues her, and he flies through the sky with Qingcheng tied to him by rope, her feathered cape functioning as wings.

None of these four people is quite what he or she seems to each other, and the film's greatest accomplishment is how deftly Chen and his co-writer Zhang Tan manage to reveal a lot of interconnected back story about each of the five principals bit by bit to deepen ever so gradually a picture with surreal and lively martial arts action.

As time goes by the characters and their fates attain a Shakespearean grandeur and accrue the complexity of the key figures of Chen's landmark, Oscar-nominated "Farewell, My Concubine."

The film's title refers to a promise that Qingcheng broke in childhood that reverberates throughout the picture to assert that what counts in life above all else is honor.

Intentionally or otherwise, Chen honors the memory of the late, great King Hu in expressing a profound spirituality through the martial arts.

LA Times

Source: calendarlive.com

http://www.calendarlive.com/movies/reviews...coll=cl-mreview

special thanks to Rebecca for sharing Adonis International

Guest ruffluv109

JDG in Jap Mag Actors Style Korea 2006 Vol 8

ask85loshui372pc.jpg

Source: http://blog.naver.com/loshui37.do

Credit to Dreamer at Jang-donggun.com

in HKG ....

He was killing hott n gorgeous...20051217113617172.jpgCredit to Dreamer at JAng-donggun.com

my love, do you know that it's a sin to look that good?!!!! ahhhhh....i love you so much oppa!!!

hi gals...couldn't stay long...lots of work today!!! ;)

Guest kalinda

just went to see the Promise last week, and like it love it... you name it... :D. The storyline is a rarity, not a common one and just brilliant, I guess....... and the visual effects are just awesome. Really love it when the goddest flied here and there with her hair made a circle like that... like an angel or something.. Even JDG looked dirty and all, he was just superb with the character. I noticed that JDG only had his straight hair and clean 2x? and drooling over him on those special scenes.. :D

I'm from Indo, the Promise is still playing now in the biggest theatre links in Indo. Non-american movies are kinda difficult to sell, BUT, I see that the Promise is quite promising to achieve good sale.. it still plays and prob. the talk over this movie is quite high and when you see it and talk to other, ppl might want to see it to prove it... *pray hard* (Love JDG since AAE... )

my love, do you know that it's a sin to look that good?!!!! ahhhhh....i love you so much oppa!!!

hi gals...couldn't stay long...lots of work today!!! ;)

my Love..it's so sinfully good to love you like this... :P

just went to see the Promise last week, and like it love it... you name it... :D. The storyline is a rarity, not a common one and just brilliant, I guess....... and the visual effects are just awesome. Really love it when the goddest flied here and there with her hair made a circle like that... like an angel or something.. Even JDG looked dirty and all, he was just superb with the character. I noticed that JDG only had his straight hair and clean 2x? and drooling over him on those special scenes.. :D

I'm from Indo, the Promise is still playing now in the biggest theatre links in Indo. Non-american movies are kinda difficult to sell, BUT, I see that the Promise is quite promising to achieve good sale.. it still plays and prob. the talk over this movie is quite high and when you see it and talk to other, ppl might want to see it to prove it... *pray hard* (Love JDG since AAE... )

Hey kalinda..! good to have u here..welcome!!

yep..i have seen it twice..and the agony of waiting for Typhoon to come n blow us over here...aargh!!!!. And yes..the part where he wakes up to visually see his mom n sister...*fans self*..

u got it right babe... i am fainting already, wake up at the crack of dawn.... n loving it after school, opening this page and seeing this ADONIS face....

Reposting JDG in Singapore

Babe..Kylie has some Korean classmates n when their moms talked i felt like saying.." aah..Chang Dong Gun ssi..very handsome!!"... :P ..of coz..they might nod n laugh..

thanks for the link again....*screams!*

Guest TY_KSW

Upppsssss..........thank's GOD...it's not him doing such a thing like that....#sigh#

you know what gals...i think he would do that only with the one he loves....perhaps it could be me...

oh DONG GUN...if you are mine, every time you could be the one who make me feel alright...day all night..lalalalallalalla

hahahhahha

23_20_86.gif Wake up Iks....

Still dreaming? :tongue2: