Song Suggestions For Auditioning

Guest Boe

Put your inquiries here!
;) Hey hey, this is still the same thread, but I decided to switching things up, since it's Spring Cleaning, and I also realized that I'm not the only Soompier who need help for choosing a song for auditioning.

So lets lay down some house keeping things, shall we? I'm hoping to use this thread to help all the auditioners on Soompi find some songs they can use in their repetoire, which means in your requests, you must put the following in order for accurate recommendations:

Name: [Can be your username, doesn't really matter, just so you have a "title"]

Sex: [used to determine which songs]

Vocal Range: [bass/Tenor/Alto/Mezzo-Soprano/Soprano, if you don't know your range and have a PIANO, go here and do the scales accordingly. The C4 means the middle C and the other C's correspond respectively. Which means to the left is lower pitch, and to the right is higher pitch.]

Preferred Company: [Put as many as you like, but the point of this is to give you songs that fit the company's style you want to audition for.]

Special Regards: [Just a side note about you, such who's voice you think you sound like, or what type of performing you have done before, etc.]

I really don't think there will be any rudeness that is uncalled-for in this thread, because I trust that all of you who are come here are here for help, but I will still monitor the thread constantly. =) So if you have a problem, you can always PM me.

And also if you need help finding instrumentals, I can actually make them for you, just provide me the original, and I can definately make it for you. Definately don't let that stop you.

So I shall start!:D

Name: Boe

Vocal Range: Alto-Soprano [E3-C7]

Preferred Company: I like YG the best, but JYP is okay too, not SM please.

Special Regards: My voice sounds a bit like Ji-Sun in the song "One" by Epik High. I have that kind of raspy, echoey voice that sounds far away LOL. [That's my own description...but i actually recorded myself singing, and listened to it..and let my friend listen to it too..] And I LOVVVEE Big Mama, especially their song, Break Away...that pretty much drew me to Korean music for life.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest kimchi hana

Well it's not a requirement to sing in Korean.

If you're not too confident with your pronunciation and speech, then just go with English.

What sort of ballad are you looking for? Some I like are(But aren't too too ballad-ish o___o):

I Hate You Even Though I Love You by Davichi

Like Being Hit By a Bullet by Baek Ji Young

Flower Pot by Loveholic

Dance by Clazziquai

Waiting by Younha

My Everything by CSJH

Mia by IU

Well it's not a requirement to sing in Korean.

If you're not too confident with your pronunciation and speech, then just go with English.

What sort of ballad are you looking for? Some I like are(But aren't too too ballad-ish o___o):

I Hate You Even Though I Love You by Davichi

Like Being Hit By a Bullet by Baek Ji Young

Flower Pot by Loveholic

Dance by Clazziquai

Waiting by Younha

My Everything by CSJH

Mia by IU

oohh, thank you..

i was thinking of taking a more jazz-y approach...

but YG requires you..or me to sing one full gayo song..=\

so i guess practice makes perfect..xD (pronounciation wise..)

• 2 weeks later...

*UPDATED*

okay i can sing mariah carey songs.

i can sing...mariah carey - through the rain

i can hit the high notes

never knew that i could but i can... :sweatingbullets:

SO ANY SUGGESTIONS?? LOL

Korean Songs:

try these ones out.

기억 (Original Mix) - Younha

Maria - Kim Ah-Joong (from 200 Pound Beauty OST, not a ballad, but super good song to show off strong vocal abilitites)

If - Taeyeon (slow, pretty sounding, here is the MV with Hangul - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnmWmyYp2cA)

Letter - Kim Jong Kook (this song is hard to find. so here's the MV the song starts at 1:10 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=droCB3KPhsE)

i don't mean to discourage you but a word of caution. these are popular songs and popular artists who are very talented. if you don't think you can sing them as well or better than the original i don't suggest you sing them. but since you said you can hit Mariah Carey notes. i believe these songs are suitable =)

i wish you good luck in your auditioning! =)

oh and out of curiousity, what english song are you singing?

@ af.726

thank you!!

and thanks for the side note about the artists and such

it makes me feel good when soompiers care about me >3<" HEHEHEHEHE hahaha im so corny but yarr..thank thank thank you

i was planning to sing destinys child - stand up for love...

at first i wanted to sing alicia keys - if i ain't got you..

but then everybody auditions with that song...and i didn't think i could bring out the essence of that song..

so i decided to go with stand up for love

actually do you have any suggestions in english songs as well??

cus i'd love to build my repetoire :D

soompi is a nice place =) teehee

woo. Stand up for Love is a great song! =)

seems like you have a large range! =)

anyways here goes...

I Don't Wanna Miss A Thing - Aerosmith (a great song. the whole song is very high)

Respect - Aretha Franklin ('nuff said. hehe)

Chain Chain Chain - Aretha Franklin (really hard song. try it out)

Ave Maria - Beyonce (this song kicks butt. she sings from very low to super high. would be amazing if you learned to sing like her. but one thing is try not to do as much vibrato as beyonce. if you can't hold a note it can be seen as a weakness, because it's like not being able to control your own voice)

The Voice Within - Christina Aguilera (another low to high song, by another superb singer. hehe.)

Beautiful - Christina Aguilera (love this song. but good for just vocal practice.)

Emotion - Destiny's Child (the ad libs in this song are impressive)

Power of Love - Celine Dion (this is an amazing song. YG artist Kim Jieun sang this perfectly - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEHUQBW_yrU)

Love - Keyshia Cole (ugh. i hate the way she sings this song. her voice is unpleasant in this song. but nonetheless an amazing song to show of vocal talent. the runs are tedious, i guess they could be really good practice)

Bleeding Love - Leona Lewis (that high note in the bridge is just amazing)

Whenever You Remember - Carrie Underwood (easy song. but there is a key change which can turn out to be burdensome)

Stickwitu - Pussycat Dolls (okay, i know PCD shouldn't be on this list, but this song is sung with very high notes.)

To The Sky - Robin Thicke (he's a guy. but dang, can he sing those high notes well)

Stuck - Stacey Orrico (she has a very soulful voice, good song to expand your singing genre while still maintaining the same vocal challenge)

Toxic - Yael Naim (yes, this is a Britney Spears cover. but it is freaking amazing. check it out. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5pP55u9s10)

Promise - Ciara (yeah i didn't think she was a great singer. but this song starts out high and goes even higher.)

Too Little Too Late - Jojo (got an amazing voice. but she can't control it. try the high notes.)

that's enough for now. =) haha. i gave you a variety of songs cause ballads aren't the only good ones =).

*i didn't put any Gummy or Big Mama songs on the list of korean song cause apparently it's bad to audition with a song from the actual company. but check'em out cause they are seriously the best. =)

wow so many!! thank you :)

i played around with my piano and i found out

i can sing from the A below the C...A3? to C5

the high C...

i duno what that range is =S

xD

oh yah i heard that too..

i was planning to sing a wheesung song at first tho..

wheesung - the day we meet again

cus i've listened to this song since i was like..11

but idk..what do u think? wheesung is no longer with YG tho..=S

ohh also for japanese song

i was gona sing K - only human...

iduno if that's good..any suggestions as well ? :D

ahahahah =) i am a music suggesting machine =)

i'm not as knowledgeable about the japanese music scene. (not a huge fan of JE or anime music. >.<) but here are my favourites:

Namie Amuro - Wishing On the Same Star (her voice is rather low... try it out though)

Angela Aki - Home (i love this song. not really challenging but it has a really nice piano accompaniment)

AI - Story (absolutely beautiful song)

Yuna Ito - Endless Story (though Yuna Ito sounds kinda like a chicken in some of her songs this is one song i absolutely love. it gave me goosebumps the first time i listened to the song >.< http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94SZYWYQc9A)

you choice K - Only Human is a really nice song. i watched the drama too! so sad~ =( me and my mom finished 3 boxes of puffs tissues when we watched this. >.<

xDD yess you are! xDD

ohhh yuna ittoo..i heard her song long time backk

maybe i should try it!

my second choice was utada hikaru - first love..

cus her voice is high too :D

ohh 1 litre of tears really means 1 litre of tears....

i haven't watched it yet cus my mom didn't let me

she said its soo sad cus her friend watched it

and she was an auntie...and she cried like crazy tooo...

and the saddest part is that its a real story =(

Guest DarkMecha82

i also want to sing a song in korean, but i have like no idea of what to sing. MY range is baritone but It can go up to a low tenor. So any suggestions would be appriciated.

Guest omgit'sme

keep in mind that there are two different kinds of ranges, well kinda. more like two different ways you can hit a note, so some songs may need a more powerful voice and the higher notes should be belted, i mean just 'cause you can hit the note doesn't mean you should sing it, it all depends on how well you sing it and if it's falsetto/head or chest voice. b/c most people can hit high notes, just not in full chest voice/belting that you see those singers do. just putting it out there, sorry if it sounds like i'm saying you can't sing high notes, i'm sure you can sing really well :] and i'm by no means criticizing anyone.

btw- OMG if you're an easily depressed person, DO NOT watch 1 litre of tears. it kept me up at night =/ but it's a really inspiring story, makes you think about and appreciate life more.

@ omgit'sme

when i told my friend i can sing mariah carey songs, she asked if i could sing it with her "power" in her voice

is that what u mean? cus i have no idea what belting is =(

xD

@ 012victory

a gayo song is a korean pop song; henceforth gayo daesang <-- kpop awards

an example would be like,, big bang - lies

Guest omgit'sme

Boe- haha yeah lots of people can't tell the difference but it's hard to explain.... belting isn't really about power, it is kinda, but not loudness. it's a fuller sound and you know how for some low notes you can sing them with a really powerful voice but as it gets higher do you feel that your voice kinda "flips" into a head voice or something that's easier to sing. sorry, i know i did a horrible job explaining lolz. some well-known belters are whitney houston, aretha franklin....

mariah carey, when she sings high it's a bit hard to tell if she's still in chest voice or flipped so i wouldn't look to her if you wanna know what belting is, 'cause i know some of her songs she sings in falsetto. anyway, hope this helped :] and good luck finding a song!

@ omgit'sme

YEAH YEAH okay YEAH

when i sing low..

i feels like my chest is vibrating :P

or diaphram

or whatever that can vibrate xDD

[i duno my body parts when i sing...]

i'm pretty loud when im high too..

but i'm still not sure...xD

Guest omgit'sme

boe- aww don't worry about it then, i'm sure you're fine. it's just that with songs like mariah carey's a lot is expected so i'm just trying to help. but hey, i dunno you or your voice so if you think you're good then that's that =D

basically yeah, when you sing low you feel like your voice is stronger and your chest vibrates but as you go higher the sound gets thinner and you might still be able to sing as loud but for some reason, the sounds gets much thinner and not as rich. i mean there are ways to stop that from happening, like some singers develop the mixed voice where they kinda mix the two registers, chest and head. anyway, i wouldn't worry about it b/c maybe you can belt? and i'm just rambling like a fool haha

• 2 weeks later...
Guest hushed_secrets

korean songs:

if-taeyeon

invisible person- son dambi

love rides on a melody- snsd [its a refreshing song, sounds are pure.]

love and war- davichi

sorry, i have song block a lot of the time. :sweatingbullets: i.e. if asked to think of songs, i usually forget all of the songs i know. lol, sorry, i k now i havent been much of a help. but check out if by taeyeon. its a really soft song and if you have a powerful voice, you can prove to sm/jyp/yg/etc thatyou know how to tame it. it also fits people with softer voices too. ^^

• 4 weeks later...
Guest ZOMGITzHibari

i was wondering. wen u audition, can u have the lyrics with you just in case you forget the words the your song or do you have to memorize it by heart?

and some songs could be

Japanese:

SOYOGI - FT Island

DBSK - My Destiny

Korean:

After Love - FT Island

Bad Woman - FT Island

To me those songs are easy. :D

Archived