Lee Byung Hun 이병헌 Byunghun Lee

rubie

March 28, 2023

Lee Byung Hun with Kim Go Eun and Ke Huy Quan

Screenshot_2023-03-28_at_10.38.53_PM.png

Kim Go Run released a recent photo of her taken with Lee Byung Hun and Ke Huy Quan.  Ke Huy Quan is a Vietnamese actor who recently won the Best Supporting Actor award at the 95th Academy Film Awards for his role in the movie 'Everything Everywhere All at Once'. 

Source:  IG of Kim Go Eun @ggonekim

• Like 4

*** LBH speaks English very well.   :blush:

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

8 Korean Actors And Actresses Who Have Ventured Into Hollywood

Often times when a Korean celebrity hits famous status, they will consider going into Hollywood. The opportunity presents itself in the form of a movie, TV show, or even a cameo appearance, and eventually it gets a lot of buzz.

There have been a fair share of these actors and actresses, but here are eight actors and actresses who have ventured into Hollywood.

Lee Byung Hun

Lee-Byung-Hun.jpg

Lee Byung Hun’s diverse background and language abilities will impress many. Not only is the South Korean actor fluent in English, but he is also fluent in French! With his eclectic background, it was only a matter of time before Hollywood knocked on the actor’s door. He waited for the perfect role and finally accepted to star as Storm Shadow in the G.I. Joe franchise. But he didn’t stop here. He later starred in “Terminator Genisys,” “Misconduct,” “The Magnificent Seven,” “The Fortress,” and “Keys to the Heart.” It’s obvious that Lee Byung Hun’s Hollywood career is flourishing!

(skipped unrelated.....)

credit : soompi news

• Like 4

Top 30 Korean thriller movies according to their IMDb rating

Right from Parasite to Train to Busan, scroll ahead for the ultimate list of the best Korean thriller movies ever created according to their IMDb ratings.

Anyone who loves K-dramas and thriller movies is going to be glad that you scrolled on. This time, we have enlisted only the best Korean thriller movies, all according to their IMDb ratings. Right from the cast and music to the dialogues and storylines, every movie on this list is a masterpiece in the world of Korean cinema and is bound to make your jaws drop. 

Whether you are looking for suspense thrillers, war dramas, crime thrillers, psychological horror dramas, or even mystery fans, we have something for everyone. In fact, we have picked out everything from highly-rated Oscar winners to underrated but spectacular Korean thriller movies that will definitely keep you hooked to your screens. 

Whether it is Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Hulu, HBO, Disney, or any other online streaming platform, Korean movies are leading everywhere. However, when it comes to picking the best Korean movie of all time, it is a pickle that is precisely why we recommend you to bookmark this article, next time you are on the lookout for the perfect Korean watchlist. We assure you each and every Korean thriller movie enlisted above has the power to keep you up all night. 

7. I Saw the Devil (2010)

• Movie Genre:  Action, Crime, Drama
  • Duration: 144 min
  • Star Cast: Lee Byunghun, Jeon Gookhwan, Choi Minsik, Hojin Chun
  • Director: Jeewoon Kim
  • Year of release: 2010
  • IMDb Rating: 7.8/10

You have got to watch this 2010 action-crime drama directed by Jeewoon Kim. One of the best Korean thriller movies of all time, the movie features splendid performances by Lee Byunghun, Jeon Gookhwan, Choi Minsik, and Hojin Chun among others. Stream the psychological serial killer drama to watch the best of revenge and crime drama. 

11. Joint Security Area (2000)

Joint Security Area (2000)

• Movie Genre:  Action, Drama, Thriller
  • Duration: 110 min
  • Star Cast: Lee Yeongae, Lee Byunghun, Song Kangho, Kim Taewoo
  • Director: Park Chan Wook
  • Year of release: 2000
  • IMDb Rating: 7.7/10

Joint Security Area is a 2000 thriller drama filled with investigation and action sequences. Starring Lee Yeongae, Lee Byunghun, Song Kang Ho, and Kim Taewoo among others this highly-rated thriller drama is directed by Park Chan Wook. Stream the movie to witness the best of a shooting incident set in the North/South Korean border.

15. A Bittersweet Life (2005)

• Movie Genre: Action, Crime, Drama
  • Duration: 119 min
  • Star Cast: Lee Byunghun, Shin Mina, Yeongcheol Kim, Hwang Jungmin
  • Director: Jeewoon Kim
  • Year of release: 2005
  • IMDb Rating:  7.5/10

This highly-rated Korean thriller movie directed by Jeewoon Kim features a take on mobsters. Starring Lee Byunghun, Shin Mina, Yeongcheol Kim, and Hwang Jungmin among others, this movie is a masterpiece for anyone who loves action sequences and thriller dramas. 

(skipped unrelated.....)

source : https://www.pinkvilla.com/entertainment/top-30-korean-thriller-movies-according-to-their-imdb-rating-1215663

• Like 4

*** Just now, April 7th, the Baeksang Arts Awards opened its official website and announced the final nominees of the three categories, Television, Film, and Theater, with outstanding performances over the past year. In particular, the Best Actor and Best Actress (Television) nominations are arousing the most attention. Nominees for Best Actor are Son Seok Gu (JTBC’s “My Liberation Notes”), Lee Byung Hun (tvN’s “Our Blues”), Lee Sung Min (JTBC’s “Reborn Rich”), Jung Kyung Ho (tvN’s “Crash Course in Romance”), and Choi Min Sik (Disney+’s “Big Bet”). The competition is expected to be fierce. The 59th Baeksang Arts Awards will be aired simultaneously on JTBC, JTBC2, and JTBC4 and streamed online through TikTok at 5:30 p.m on April 28th. The ceremony is scheduled to take place at Paradise City in Incheon. :rubchin:     The candidates were chosen among dramas, shows, and films that aired or were released between April 1, 2022 and March 31, 2023. However, works that were released during last year’s screening period were also included in this year’s pool. 60 industry experts were surveyed ahead of the final nominations. In addition, productions that were excluded last year because they were released during the screening period were also included in this year’s pool.

Best Drama

• JTBC “My Liberation Notes”
  • Netflix “The Glory”
  • tvN “Our Blues”
  • ENA “Extraordinary Attorney Woo”
  • tvN “Little Women”

Best Actor

baeksang-59th-1-040723.webp

baeksang-59th-1111-0407723.webp

baeksang-59th-11-040723.webp

source : https://www.insight.co.kr/news/434941

• Like 3

*** LBH and writer Park Ji Eun were officially invited to a conference held by Stanford University’s Asia-Pacific Research Center (APRAC) on April 19th under the theme of “The Future of Hallyu: Korean Cinema on the Global Stage”. The two will hold various events, including attending the conference and sharing their thoughts on K-content through conversations with Stanford’s professors. Lee Byung Hun will participate in the final sequence of the conference. Through a session called “From Iris to Squid Game: Conversation with Lee Byung Hun”, he will talk about K-content with Dafna Zur, an associate professor of Stanford University’s East Asian Languages and Cultures Department. APRAC has been running the “Korea Program”, a specialized center for Korean studies, for a long time.   :blush:

source : https://kbizoom.com/lee-byung-hun-and-crash-landing-on-you-writer-park-ji-eun-officially-invited-to-stanford-universitys-conference/

• Like 4

*** "Emergency Declaration" is garnering attention of Netflix viewers since its release in the platform on March 31st. (Note: The movie is yet to be available for a number of countries). Based on the data from FlixPatrol, the film is the 6th Most Popular Movie On Netflix Worldwide on April 6 despite being released last year on the big screen. The film is currently on the top 10 movies of Netflix Worldwide for a total of 17 countries: Argentina, Bolivia, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, Guatemala, Honduras, Mexico, and more. The film actually placed 1st on all 17 countries last March 31st. I've watched the movie and it's really good.  :kaching3:

emergency-declaration-cover-1.jpg

emergency-declaration-poster.jpg

flix-patrol-emergency-declaration-1.png

Spoiler

flix-patrol-emergency-declaration-2.png

• Like 4

Korean Romantic Movies according to their IMDb ratings

6. Once in a Summer (2006)

1681225688_once-in-a-summer-2006.jpg

• Movie Genre: Drama, Romance
  • Duration: 121 min
  • Star Cast: Lee Byung Hun, Soo Ae, Choi Deok Moon, Jung ki Kim
  • Director: Geun Shik Jo 
  • Year of release: 2006
  • OTT Platform: Netflix
  • IMDb Rating: 7.3/10

This 2006 romantic drama titled Once in a Summer is another South Korean movie that we highly recommend. The movie is directed by Jo Keun Shik and features stars like Lee Byung Hun and Soo Ae. The highly-rated movie is available on Netflix to watch. 

17. The Harmonium in My Memory (1999)

The Harmonium in My Memory (1999)

• Movie Genre:  Drama, Romance
  • Duration: 116 min 
  • Star Cast: Lee Byung Hun, Jeon Do Yeon, Jae in Kim, Nam Hee Kwon
  • Director: Young Jae Lee
  • Year of release: 1999
  • OTT Platform: Netflix
  • IMDb Rating: 7.3/10

This movie titled The Harmonium in My Memory features stars including Lee Byung Hun, Jeon Do Yeon, Jae in Kim, and Nam Hee Kwon among others. Released in 1999 the Netflix movie is about a young girl who has a crush on one of his newest school teachers.

(skipped unrelated.....)

source : Pinkvilla

• Like 4

*** For me, "Our Blues" is a perfect drama to binge-watch. When I'm bored, I like to binge watch shows I've previously watched. I enjoyed watching this drama. I feel like living in the beautiful and lively Jeju island is so COOL. The drama touches on various topics but, the one that I love most is touching the meaning of family, and love. I watched this for  Lee Byung Hun and Kim Woo Bin.    :kaching1:

Our-Blues-tvN.jpg

• Like 4

Baeksang Arts Awards 2023: Meet the Nominees for Best Actor Category

After nominees for the Baeksang Arts Awards 2023 were officially announced the public express their support for their beloved celebrities who scored a nod at the upcoming ceremony. 

Known as the Oscars in South Korea, it recognized the contribution of various shows, movies, and theatres in the entertainment industry. 

As for this year's highly anticipated event, the candidates were chosen based on the 

dramas, shows, and films that were released or aired between April 1, 2022, and March 31, 2023. 

Scheduled on April 28, 2023, at 5:30 p.m. KST, viewers will get to see their beloved actors and actress compete in the Baeksang Arts Awards 2023 will be live-streamed via JTBC and TikTok. 

As for the nominees for the 59th Baeksang Arts Awards, check out who among these stars deserve the Best Actor award.

Lee Byung Hun 

‘Our Blues’ Episode 9: Shin Min Ah Pours Emotions To Lee Byung Hun

Another K-drama that made a mark in 2022 is the omnibus-style series "Our Blues."

Lee Byung Hun, who is paired with Shin Min Ah scored a nomination for his portrayal of the Jeju native Lee Dong Suk. 

Interestingly, besides the Best Actor category, "Our Blues" is also nominated for Best Drama and will be competing against "My Liberation Notes," "The Glory," "Extraordinary Attorney Woo," and "Little Women."

(skipped unrelated.....)

source : https://www.kdramastars.com/articles/129237/20230412/baeksang-arts-awards-2023-meet-nominees-best-actor-category.htm

• Like 4

April 16, 2023

Lee Byung Hun to appear at the Asia-Pacific Research Center at Stanford University 

Screenshot_2023-04-16_at_10.34.33_PM.png

Lee Byung Hun posted this poster on his instagram with this message:  

see you soon! @stanford

Wednesday, April 19, 2023

Source:  IG of lee Byung Hun 

• Like 4

April 17, 2023

Lee Byung Hun at the Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival 

Screenshot_2023-04-17_at_8.33.41_PM.png

Source: IG of Lee Byung Hun

The Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival started in October 1999 at the Empire Polo Club in Indio, California, as an event to highlight art and musicians from across dozens of genres, including rock, pop, indie, hip hop and electronic music. Since its first festival more than 20 years ago, Coachella has seen thousands of performers including Beyoncé, Prince, Daft Punk, Dr. Dre, Snoop Dogg, Kanye West and BLACKPINK. In 2017, the festival was attended by more than 250,000 people and grossed more than $114.6 million.

Source: Stylecaster.com

• Like 4

20 hours ago, peonie said:

April 17, 2023

Lee Byung Hun at the Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival

Source: IG of Lee Byung Hun

The Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival started in October 1999 at the Empire Polo Club in Indio, California, as an event to highlight art and musicians from across dozens of genres, including rock, pop, indie, hip hop and electronic music. Since its first festival more than 20 years ago, Coachella has seen thousands of performers including Beyoncé, Prince, Daft Punk, Dr. Dre, Snoop Dogg, Kanye West and BLACKPINK. In 2017, the festival was attended by more than 250,000 people and grossed more than $114.6 million.

Source: Stylecaster.com

@peonie  yes, he attended the festival, in fact, he posted a photo on his Instagram account with the caption "Coachella 2023"  -   :Woah:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CrIBEiOpn7-/

• Like 2

April 20, 2023

Lee Byung Hun attended the conference 'The Future of Hallyu: Korean Film on the Global Stage' held at Macaw Hall, Stanford University. 

Screenshot_2023-04-20_at_3.43.35_PM.png

Photo courtesy of the Asia-Pacific Institute of Stanford University

Actor Lee Byung-hun attended the conference 'The Future of Hallyu: Korean Film on the Global Stage' held at Macaw Hall, Stanford University, California on the 19th (local time), before becoming an actor. presenting the experience.

Conversation on 'the future of Hallyu' with the audience in fluent English at Stanford University

"After 'JSA', my acting attitude changed... I decided on my appearance the moment I read the script"

Actor Lee Byung-hun (49) had a meeting with students and audience at Stanford University in the United States.

It was at the conference 'The Future of Hallyu: Korean Cinema on the Global Stage' held at Macaw Hall, Stanford University, California on the 19th.  

At the event hosted by Stanford University's Walter Shorenstin Asia-Pacific Institute

(Director: Professor Shin Ki-wook) and sponsored by the Korea Foundation, Lee Byung-hun introduced his experience of becoming an actor in 'fluent' English and had time to answer questions from the audience. .

About 300 people, including Stanford University students and fans, filled the auditorium at the event.

Lee Byung-hun appeared in many dramas and movies, such as 'Joint Security Area JSA', 'Iris', ‘Mr. Sunshine’

Appearing in 'Squid Game 2', he said that his attitude changed through 'JSA', which actually established his position as a movie star. .

He also introduced works that he was offered to cast but regretted not being able to appear in.

When asked if he had ever regretted turning down a role, he mentioned “Parasite, Old Boy, and the decision to break up,” and said, “It was because I already had other (movie, etc.) schedules,” and laughed out loud himself.

'Oldboy' was a film that dramatically raised the status of Korean cinema by receiving the grand prize of the jury at the 2004 Cannes Film Festival.

'Parasite' won four awards including Best Picture at the 2020 Academy Awards, and 'Decision to Break Up' won three awards at this year's Asian Film Awards.

He said, "I think the feeling is important" when choosing a work, and "I tend to follow the emotions or sensibilities I feel the moment I read (the script) if I find it interesting."

Regarding Hollywood, he said, "They (Hollywood) did not take my acting skills seriously," and "They saw it at a Tokyo Dome fan meeting in 2006. It was just what I saw," he said.

He then looked back saying that he thought he would have cast himself to enter the Asian market, and later acknowledged his acting while working on his work.

After 'G.I.Jo', Lee Byung-hun appeared in several Hollywood films.

Lee Byung-hun, who answered most of the audience's questions in English, said, "For English, all I did was attend an academy in my second year of high school. I've never been educated in Hollywood. I studied English for the first two months for today's event." Laughing aroused

He also said that he seems to have a talent for that. Even when he was filming a movie, he said, "It seemed like my body remembered Taekwondo, which I had done for many years when I was young."

He said that whether it is a movie or drama, as long as the story and director are good, he said that OTT platforms such as Netflix "are becoming a great opportunity for Korean actors."

The event was prepared to shed light on K-dramas, which are also popular in the US, and to discuss future directions.

In his congratulatory speech, Consul General Yoon Sang-soo said, “When I asked ChatGPT, they replied, ‘K-dramas have captivated audiences around the world over the past few years with unique storytelling and charming characters. diplomat," he said.

Source:   

https://www.yna.co.kr/view/AKR20230420086500091?input=1179m

Screenshot_2023-04-20_at_3.52.57_PM.png

Screenshot_2023-04-20_at_3.53.19_PM.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

April 26, 2023

Lee Byung Hun participated as a speaker at Stanford University in the US "I will return with 'Squid Game 2'"

Screenshot_2023-04-26_at_2.17.55_PM.png

On the 19th, Lee Byung-hun attended the 'The Future of Hallyu: Korean Film on the Global Stage' conference held at Macaw Hall, Stanford University, California, USA, and met with students to talk about various things.

Lee Byung-hun, who participated in the final session of the conference, continued his speech in fluent English, from his opportunity to give a lecture at Stanford University, his acting experience as an actor in Korea and Hollywood, and his views on the growth engine of K-content. Celebrating his 32nd year of debut this year, Lee Byung-hun shared valuable time with the audience by introducing his experiences and sources of inspiration from his childhood to his debut and so far.

Although he had never dreamed of becoming an actor, Lee Byung-hun recalled the memories of watching western movies from the age of 4 and of the theater he went to with his father, thanks to the influence of his father who loved movies. Afterwards, at the recommendation of his mother's friend, he took an open audition at a broadcasting station and entered the world of actors, and even a small role, but an episode that made him debut in a drama, he told a sincere story without losing his humor.

In particular, when filming Lee Byung-hun's Hollywood blockbuster 'Red: The Legend' (2013), the director and production staff used the childhood photos taken with his father as props and recorded his father's name in the ending credits as an actor. The story that was touched by the consideration formed a sense of empathy among the students and elicited a hot response.

Lee Byung-hun, who continued his story by quoting director Bong Joon-ho's acceptance speech for '1 Inch Barrier', said, Now that we have overcome the 1-inch barrier, we are now in an era where we can enjoy more diverse cultures through various platforms, and a world of more creative content is coming. was sure that Based on the power of dynamic stories, he expressed his opinion that the current K-content exists because we have accepted good inspirations in our own culture.

Lastly, Byung-Hun Lee revealed that the driving force of life and creation is 'Purity', and that Korean culture has purely absorbed and accepted various cultures without prejudice and has grown competitively into the current K-content based on 'Purity'. He expressed his opinion.

Lee Byung-hun, who left a sensible ending saying that he would return as the frontman of 'Squid Game 2', ended his lecture by exchanging various questions with Stanford University students in the ensuing Q&A.

Meanwhile, Lee Byung-hun is about to release the movie 'Concrete Utopia', and was nominated for the best acting award in the TV category at the 59th Baeksang Arts Awards for his role as 'Dong-seok' in the drama 'Our Blues'.

Source: 

https://sports.chosun.com/news/ntype.htm?id=202304270100211160026249&servicedate=20230426

• Like 3
  • Insightful 1

April 28, 2023

Lee Byung Hun's arrival at the 2023 Baeksang Arts Awards.

Screenshot_2023-04-28_at_7.21.10_PM.png

Screenshot_2023-04-28_at_7.20.45_PM.png

Screenshot_2023-04-28_at_7.20.58_PM.png

Lee Byung Hun has been nominated for Best Actor Award in TV Category for "Our Blues" in the 2023 Baeksang Arts Awards.

• Like 4

9 K-Dramas That Talk About Mental Health

From slow-burn romances to slice of life narratives, K-dramas have served us wholesome narratives. Many have highlighted political, economic, and sociocultural issues that impact society, deftly weaving them into scenarios. A consistent theme in dramas these days is mental health. K-dramas have poignantly and sensitively built awareness around mental health and highlighted the different struggles that fall under it. As the characters come to terms and heal from their particular issues, this in turn empowers the viewer too—realizing that you’re not alone is somehow empowering. Relatable and striking an emotive chord, here are nine K-dramas that talk about mental health.

“Our Blues”

Our-Blues2.jpg

One of the chapters in the anthology “Our Blues” is that of Min Seon Ah (Shin Min Ah), a young mother suffering from depression. The show succinctly highlights her existential exhaustion, the inability to carry on daily chores, being disconnected from the present, and her confused state, which is highlighted by ripples and blur. She loses the custody of her child given her current state. But as she seeks therapy, she is also helped by the brusque traveling salesman named Lee Dong Suk (Lee Byung Hun), who himself has a fractured relationship with his mother after the death of his sister.

From Dong Suk’s fractured relationship with his mother to Young Ok’s (Han Ji Min’s) feelings of guilt of abandoning her sister, “Our Blues” is a bittersweet heartwarming story of small town folk living on Jeju Island navigating through life, love, and everything in between. If someone is rekindling a long forgotten romance, there is also reckless young love or just folks traversing through the chaos of day to day life. These simple stories strike an epiphany which is the show’s poignant tag line: “To all those who are alive let’s be happy.” Brilliant performances, a picturesque landscape, and heartwarming stories make this one a must watch. The show also has one of the best soundtracks which includes “With You,” a collaboration between BTS member Jimin and Ha Sung Woon.

(skipped unrelated.....)

credit : soompi news

• Like 4