Lee Byung Hun 이병헌 Byunghun Lee

rubie

June 15, 2020.

Lee Byung Hun discussed his recent commerciaI:  E:FLASH   (A translation)

I:           Interviewer

LBH:     Lee Byung Hun

I:          We invited the national actor Lee Byung Hun, nice to see you.

LBH:    Hello, nice to meet you.

I:          I heard that you are going to be a new advertising model this time, so I immediately
             invited you. Please briefly explain what kind of advertising this is.

LBH:    For this commercial shooting, can you say the brand name?

I:          Of course!

LBH:    It is a  product called [800 million toothbrush E:Flash]

I:          Toothbrush advertisement.   Speaking of Lee Byung Hun, it’s healthy teeth.
            Healthy  teeth, it’s Lee Byung Hun.

LBH:    Ha Ha, you flatter me.             

I:          Why does the product name says "800 million?" What does it mean?

LBH:    Do you know the value of one tooth?

I:          Not sure?

LBH:    According to the findings of a research institute in the United States, the value of a
            tooth is over 30,000,000 won.  In general, there are 28 teeth in our oral cavity, so
            our teeth have a value of about 800,000,000 won, so it is called 800 million
            toothbrush  E:Flash

I:           Ah, the scene that just appeared in the advertisement, but Sunbae, did they add
             BGM when they just introduced the product?

LBH:     Huh? what?

I:           Isn't it? Sorry, you mean a product that protects teeth that are worth hundreds of
             millions.

LBH:     Correct

I:           But it looks like an ordinary toothbrush. What's so special about it?

LBH:     How long do you brush your teeth?

I:           I have not really counted.  Almost 1 minute? Not quite sure,  ha ha ha

LBH:     Please press the button of E:FLASH, it will light up accurately for 3 minutes.

Please brush your teeth for 3 minutes of Dental Time.

Discover the value of 3 minutes and get into the habit of 3 minutes.

Please protect your precious teeth.

I:          Just like the advertisement just now, 3 minutes!  Ah, 3 minutes later, the light will
            turn off, right?

LBH:    Yes.   Didn’t we learn when we were young that we need to brush our teeth for 3
            minutes?  From a scientific point of view, harmful bacteria in the mouth will be
            eliminated when you brush your teeth for more than 3 minutes.

I:          Yes, it’s true. If you do not count the time, it is difficult to calculate whether it’s 1
            minute or 2 minutes. But then again, the product will be broadcasted directly
            according to what I just said. It’s just like a commercial.

LBH:    Hahaha,   The current lens are not out yet.   It is not even shooting.

I:          I just looked at it. The products have red lights and blue ones.  Does that mean
             anything?

LBH:    E:FLASH There are three products:
            Blue light with whitening effect:   ME: FLASH.

Red light to protect oral health: FIT: FLASH
            Green light for children KI: FLASH

Now your dental health has a new Dental Device E: FLASH to guard it.

I:          You? Are you talking about me?

LBH:    It’s you, your teeth E:FLASH

I:          Ah, thank you very much, I look forward to this advertisement.

LBH:    Before filming E: Flash ads, we invited Lee Byung Hun and finally say hello to the
            audience!

LBH:    Why is it called 1 billion toothbrush? Protect your teeth with hundreds of million
            of economic value, please use E:FLASH toothbrush to protect hundreds of million
            three-minute habits F:FLASH
I:          Hello, this is not an interview but an advertisement!

LBH:    Yes, it’s Lee Byung Hun’s E:FLASH ad now.

Source:  https://www.weibo.com/p/10080837fc75b8b4ff4c716b44adc6a5a6ecb1/super_index#_rnd1590560452315

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

June 16, 2020

Thank you so much @peonie for the translations of LBH's E:Flash. It sounds so much fun now that we got to fully understand what they were talking about.:lol:

Food stylist Park Min-ji posted some behind the scene pictures of the filming set of Pizza alvolo and with LBH. Her caption reads,

"What are you explaining to the Great actor Eugene Choi?  

Finally, a family like commemorative photo at the end.

Thank you to Soda team members who prepared a lot and worked hard for the two-day shooting, and Thank you to the great actor who saved the food with his wonderful acting." :wub:

Spoiler

• Like 3

June 17, 2020

Two of LBH’s movies (ASHFALL and The Man Standing Next) were selected for Far East Film Festival in Udine, Italy. The festival is one the most important events promoting Asian Cinema in Europe. 

https://variety.com/2020/film/asia/udine-asian-festival-lineup-online-edition-1234625227/

Udine Asian Festival to Open Online Edition With Korea’s ‘Ashfall’

By Patrick Frater

Korean disaster action film has been set as the opening movie of the Far East Film Festival in Udine. Due to coronavirus and social distancing measures still in place in Italy, the festival will be held entirely online this year.

The festival is normally held in late April and early May. This time it will run June 26-July 4 with a slightly reduced selection of 46 films from East Asia.

The festival will be hosted on the MyMovies.it online platform. Organizers explained that some titles will beavailable worldwide, some only in Europe and some exclusively in Italy. They include 4 world premieres, 12 international premieres, 10 European premieres and 17 Italian premieres.

Organizers have arranged the line up in a loose daily schedule, but say that they have “also left open the possibility of choosing independently when to watchmovies by accessing the on-demand section.” And only 3 of the 46 titles (the previously announced “I WeirDo,” “My Prince Edward” and Derek Kwok’s surprise hit “Better Days”) will be shown exclusively in the time slot indicated in the schedule.

Other titles selected include the previously announced martial arts epic “Ip Man 4: The Finale,” JohnnieTo’smusical latest film “Chasing Dream” and Chinese disaster action drama “The Captain.”

Special sections include: a tribute to the late Obayashi Nobuhiko, whose final film, the 180 minute, “Labyrinth of Cinema” the festival pitches as his final eccentric masterpiece: and a four film springboard for Japanese stylist Watanabe Hirobumi.

Nine titles from Japan include the world premiere of sports comedy “#HandballStrive,” “Dance With Me” and sex toy drama “Romance Doll.”

The 10-film Korean presence also includes “The ManStanding Next,” sexy crime thriller “Beasts Clutching atStraws,” and “Crazy Romance.” Released theatrically in December, “Ashfall” follows events that follow the sudden eruption of a volcano. It stars Lee Byung Hun, Ha Jung-woo and Ma Dong-seok, and this week earned Lee a best actor prize at the Golden Bell Awards.

Two films from Indonesia are both directed by Joko Anwar: “Impetigore” and modern superhero saga“Gundala.”

• Like 3

June 17, 2020 

"Money Heist", a highly acclaimed Spanish series on Netflix is getting a Korean remake and will be produced by BH Entertainment. This Netflix series is extremely popular in Korea, to the extent of having their fans making their own Korean virtual casting on it. Since the news, the anticipation is growing on who will be playing the role of "The Professor". 

Wishful thinking:

Since it's produced by BH Entertainment, most likely the majority of actors will be from the company itself and The professor will be played by none other than Lee Byung Hun himself.:wub:

Original source in Naver: http://naver.me/FkpacIdr

• Like 3

[Wishful thinking:

Since it's produced by BH Entertainment, most likely the majority of actors will be from the company itself and The professor will be played by none other than Lee Byung Hun himself.:wub:]

Thank you @Ephoenix for this interesting news.   Would it not be great if your wishful thinking actually comes true!  

Lee Byung Hun is so versatile.  He can play any role, even a villain.  He was great as President Jin in "Master" (2016)

• Like 3

@peonie You’re welcome. Yes President Jin is what came to my mind as well esp the his wit and cunning side, also bits of craziness and pride from Park Chang yi. It would be fantastic if he joins this team of production. I have started this series since yesterday and I must say I’m not entirely sure if he would agree for the role of professor yet. I was more intrigued by Berlin character though and felt as if LBH would be interested in playing the role more. Let’s see if my mind changes as I continue watching. Meanwhile fans on twitter have already doing their casting. For now I agree with this one. :P

• Like 3

June 19, 2020

A short excerpt from Lee Byung Hun's "Best Actor" acceptance speech (a translation):

Lee Byung-Hun said: [ for “The Man Standing  Next” , I received a second honour.  All the nominees are good.  Despite my long acting career, I was really influenced by Lee Sung Min, Kwak Do Won and Lee Hee Joon who worked together to perform “The Man Standing Next”  Thank you very much." He also said, "I took a long break and is currently shooting “ Emergency Declaration”.  I hope that the current situation will end and I can meet the audience in a healthy way in the theater. ]

• Like 3

June 19, 2020

Congratulations  Byung Hun -ssi!!  Three Best Actors awards in June:

Best Actor - "Ashfall" 56th Grand Bell Awards
 Best Actor - "The Man Standing Next"  56th Baeksand Arts Awards

Best Actor -  "The Man Standing Next" 25th Chunsa Film Arts Awards 

and many more Best Actor awards to receive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 3

June 20, 2020 

Thank you @peonie for the translations. His speeches are always interesting but I feel he especially looked a bit tired in this award event. He got a bit zoned out whilst saying it. Maybe he had a shoot earlier? It seems he lost that bit of chubbiness he had during Grand Bell awards. We thought it was for his role as a father in Emergency Declaration. But always great to see that sharp jawline.:)

New pictures of LBH from 25th Chunsa Film Art Awards.:wub:

B83137-DD-5-EC9-45-FB-93-A4-2-FBB186-F6-

958-A07-FA-7578-4-A09-9-E7-A-07-CD7-F8-B

IMG-20200621-074452.jpg

IMG-20200621-100129.jpg

IMG-20200621-100126.jpg

0000259622-001-20200622102708736.jpg

• Like 3

June 23, 2020

More pictures of LBH from 25th Chunsa film arts awards. 

Credit: Chunsa Film Art Awards Instagram

20200623-110315.png

Spoiler

20200623-110255.png

Alrite, who hurt him? He looks so deep in thought. Must be the exhaustion but never fails to look handsome.:wub:

20200623-110234.png

Spoiler

chunsa-film-festival-20200623-8.jpg

Spoiler

chunsa-film-festival-20200623-6.jpg

• Like 3

June 23, 2020 

A fan posted on a Twitter with a caption ["An another ending of I saw the Devil.]

Kim Soo-hyun with his new name Kim Dae-won and passport is at what looks like an airport. While he's waiting, he sees a suspicious man following a young girl. He then stands up and goes to follow that man.

@peonie Did you know about this? 

• Like 3

June 24, 2020 

A very well written review of LBH movie The Man Standing Next
Link: http://koreanfilm.org/kfilm20.html#themanstandingnext

themanstandingnext.gif    The Man Standing Next

1979. The KCIA director Kim Gyu-pyeong (Lee Byung-hun, Magnificent SevenAshfall) is a trusted right-hand man to the South Korean dictator President Park (Lee Seong-min, The Beast). When his friend and the former KCIA honcho Park Yong-gak (Gwak Do-won, The Wailing) threatens to expose the records of human rights abuses and other dirty secrets of the Park regime to the US Congress, Kim is put in a tight spot. He becomes increasingly concerned that President Park is putting too much trust in the sociopathic, violent sycophant Gwak Sang-cheon (Lee Hui-jun, Miss Baek), Chief of Security Service, having been deeply disturbed by his pal's warning that both of them are merely expendable tools to the President. When the pro-democracy activism ignites a civic uprising in Busan and the President agrees with Chief Gwak that a martial law and possibly lethal suppression of the protesters should be implemented, Kim has to decide what is the right course of action for himself and for the nation.

The Man Standing NextDirector Woo Min-ho, who co-authored the screenplay with Lee Ji-min (The Age of Shadows), has publicly stated that the present film is the final part of the trilogy that began with Inside Men (2015) and continued into Drug King(2018). All three films explore the nature of political power and the steep price Korean men are willing to pay to maintain their illusions of omnipotence. For the present project, Woo has chosen to dramatize the assassination of President Park Chung Hee by the KCIA Director Kim Jae-gyu, based on the nonfiction exposé (serialized in Tonga ilbo from 1990 to 1992) of the behind-the-scene political intrigues by Park's lieutenants and underlings that ultimately led to the dictator's death. I am not certain whether Woo decided not to repeat his past mistakes (Drug King was widely criticized for its overcluttered narrative and stylistic excesses) or merely found the current style more fitting to this particular subject matter, but The Man Standing Next is extremely streamlined, visually speaking, with baldly cavernous sets not at all like the grungy real life of South Korea in 1979 and the chiaroscuro, color-depleted lighting that blot out all sideline details (except for the pertinent ones such as amber liquids churning in a bottle of Chivas Regal, Park Chung Hee's favorite hard liquor). At times, the movie approximates the form of a filmed theatrical production: in several key scenes, the actors' verbal outbursts and seething gazes toward one another stand in for physical action, although the film does illustrate the ignoble death of the dictator and his number-one crony in gory, graphic details.

It is not surprising, therefore, that the engine driving The Man Standing Next is the performances of its superb (mostly male) actors. Knowing that nearly all of them are cast to represent real-life figures, a few of them still alive, we can appreciate that it could not have been easy for them to balance the quotient for impersonation against one for portrayal unencumbered by fidelity to history. The good news is that the principals perform with their usual strength, although the casting is not without its problems. Lee Byung-hun, who had previously worked with director Woo in Inside Men, does not resemble the real-life Kim Jae-gyu at all (despite the extremely unflattering balding hairline he is given), but he projects the kind of coiled intensity rarely seen in his other roles. Just turned fifty, Lee could be either cool as cucumber or melodramatically vulnerable, his soulful voice and child-like, gleaming eyes still ready to be deployed to demolish the viewer's defenses, but here he mostly pulls back his usual tools of the trade. Lee's turn here refuses to reduce all of Director Kim's motivation to a personal sense of betrayal (Remember Lee's "Why did you do it to me?!" tearful tirade against his paternal boss in A Bittersweet Life?) and successfully keeps the viewers guessing about the exact calculus in his mind among a desire for his own self-preservation, lamentation for his lost idealism, and the sullied ego.

Gwak Do-won is fine as the heavily fictionalized version of the former KCIA Director Kim Hyung-wook, although due to the film's rather unnecessary invention of a "friendship" between his character and Kim Gyu-pyeong/Jae-gyu, he has to soft-pedal many well-known terrible aspects of the former. He simply does not look nasty or arrogant enough to be the head of the KCIA, feared and hated by President Park's own ruling party members (Gwak's villains tend to be petty bureaucrats in essence, as in, say, Asura: City of Madness and The Berlin File). Lee Seong-min has been one of the more reliable supporting actors in recent years, leaving strong impressions with difficult roles in Broken(2014) and The Spy Gone North (2018), among others, but he is, like Gwak Do-won, somewhat miscast in the role of President Park. He skillfully conveys the serpentine greed and paranoia percolating inside the folksy, I-am-nobody-special charm of the military dictator, but Lee appears somewhat constrained by the elaborate makeup job done on him, as if he is reluctant to dispel the Korean public's image of Park. He never fully comes alive in the role, even though he does a commendable job essaying the iconic moments from the last days of President Park's life, such as muttering "I am OK," while profusely bleeding from a bullet hole in his chest.

In the end, the film's streamlined style- to be fair, it does feature some top-grade location work in both United States and France- is both its strength and weakness. The superlative acting skills of Lee Byung-hun, Gwak Do-won and Lee Seong-min do draw the viewers into the film's complex narrative. But at the same time, the heightened theatricality renders all these characters more like icons in Renaissance paintings than flesh-and-blood characters. Unlike Im Sang-soo's The President's Last Bang (2005), which also features the nearly same cast of characters but attempts to highlight absurdities of absolute political power through black comedy, the present film aspires to be more documentarian, not to say "realist." In the end, however, The Man Standing Next, too, opts to tread the path of many Korean films dealing with the country's history, greatly attentive to material details but insisting on fictionalizing its characters and narratives for the purpose of generating the desired affective responses from the viewers, not because the actual "gaps" in our historical knowledge call for such imaginative interventions. I endorse the film's respectful attitude toward the psychology of its principal characters, in truth unknowable to anyone, much less the viewers (Korean or not) seeing it forty years after the events, but I wish it were more reflective about the relationship between these personages and their dramatized versions, or iconic images of them, if you will, than it actually is.      (Kyu Hyun  Kim)

Spoiler

The Best Selling Films of 2020  (updated June 13)
  Korean Films Nationwide Release Revenue
1 The Man Standing Next 4,750,104 Jan 22 41.2bn
2 Hitman: Agent Jun 2,406,232 Jan 22 20.6bn
3 Honest Candidate 1,536,682 Feb 12 12.8bn
4 The Closet 1,270,835 Feb 5 11.0bn
5 Secret Zoo 1,209,689 Jan 15 10.2bn
6 Beasts Clawing at Straws 627,247 Jan 19 5.4bn
7 Mr. Zoo: The Missing VIP 603,203 Jan 22 5.1bn
8 Intruder 424,907* Jun 4 3.9bn
9 Innocence 215,328* Jun 10 2.0bn
10 Beyond That Mountain 103,226 Apr 30 0.8bn

All Films Nationwide Release Revenue
1 The Man Standing Next (Korea) 4,750,104 Jan 22 41.2bn
2 Hitman: Agent Jun (Korea) 2,406,232 Jan 22 20.6bn
3 Dolittle (US) 1,607,082 Jan 8 13.5bn
4 Honest Candidate (Korea) 1,536,682 Feb 12 12.8bn
5 The Closet (Korea) 1,270,835 Feb 5 11.0bn
6 Secret Zoo (Korea) 1,209,689 Jan 15 10.2bn
7 1917 (US) 870,113 Feb 19 7.9bn
8 Little Women (US) 862,193 Feb 12 7.3bn
9 Beasts Clawing at Straws (Korea) 627,247 Jan 19 5.4bn
10 Mr. Zoo: The Missing VIP (Korea) 603,203 Jan 22 5.1bn

* Still on release.  Source: Korean Film Council (www.kobis.or.kr).

Seoul population: 10.4 million 
Nationwide population: 50.9 million

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1