Lee Byung Hun 이병헌 Byunghun Lee

rubie

February 8, 2018

Lee Byung Hun   “ With respect to popularity,  it is important for it to slowly retreat."

(A translation. )

20180208b_1.jpg

Recently, Actor Lee Byung Hun met with reporters to promote his movie “KEYS TO THE HEART”  He shared his personal opinion on popularity.  Lee, who was born in 70s, will be 48 this year. 

20180208b_2.jpg

For most people,  this is an age where one can rise higher or slowly retire.  At this age,  an actor may want to maintain his acting skills or to become the top actor that people talk about in the Republic of Korea.  For Lee, what are his expectations for his status and popularity? 

Lee Byung Hun said to “Sports World”:   “As times goes by, I am a bit lost.  I am not sure what my status is.”  He said:  “ Only in this way can I feel comfortable in my heart.  After all, popularity does not follow my own ideas nor my intentions.  Time passes, the world changes, and I am only a part of it.  Whether it goes up or down, it has nothing to do with my willpower.  I can only rely upon the coming situation.”

20180208b_3.jpg

He also mentioned: “People are very adaptable, I think it is necessary to be familiar with what is known. Don’t try to seize everything.  From when I was young, I had thought of things.  Everything that unfolded before me has to do with fate.    Although with determination and effort, one can endeavour to do things perfectly.  However, if a person cannot rise beyond a certain level even if one has a purpose in mind. That is fate.”

“ It seems that one should know how to step down from one’s peak in popularity.” Regarding the saying,  Lee said: “ I have not heard this when I was young.   It is important that you come down in a calm and unhurried manner.”

Lee said:  “ When I was in my twenties, I had no clue regarding life’s truths.  I always thought moments of happiness are eternal and good things last forever. But as times goes by, I gradually understood their meaning, and inadvertently prepared for this.  Be sure to take your time and make a good retreat.”

In addition, on January 31, the movie “KEYS TO THE HEART” starring Lee Byung Hun and Park Jung Min, has surpassed 2.1 million viewers. 

Source:  Sports World via a LBH fan @ Weibo.

• Like 3

@peonie What a wonderful write-up, not the usual movie news we'd always read.. seems quite a personal interview. Thanks so much Barbara for finding and sharing it with us here. Can't thank you enough for the translations, definitely keeps us in the loop as well.

So cool to know that KEYS TO THE HEART will be screened in Hong Kong in April. Looking forward for the HK version poster, more related news and reviews, of course! :lol:

Counting down slowly to 3 million.. may be tonight.. might be tomorrow. We're almost there.

February 7 B.O. Update: Number 1 - 55,136 daily;  2,956,778 total th_up1.gif

February 6, 2018

PSYCHOKINESIS Falls to Earth in Rocky Launch
INSIDIOUS Unlocks 4th Place Debut

by Pierce Conran / KoBiz

Weekend sales took a 15% dip as a major new release fell short of expectations, bringing admissions down to 1.96 million admissions. Despite a slow start for a local tentpole, the Korean market share remained healthy at 57%, though there was little in the way of foreign competition.

Local superhero film Psychokinesis, YEON Sang-ho’s follow-up to his global smash TRAIN TO BUSAN (2016), faded quickly after a solid opening day and though it topped the chart, it did so with just 472,000 viewers (USD 3.63 million), giving it 847,000 entries (USD 5.87 million) after five days. By Sunday, the film had slipped to second in the daily rankings and with poor word of mouth settling in, the pricey title is unlikely to add significantly to its total.

Close behind in second after a 34% slide was the local heart warmer Keys to the Heart, which sold another 441,000 tickets (USD 3.39 million) to bring its total to an impressive 2.79 million admissions (USD 20.67 million). The family drama reclaimed the top spot on Sunday but will soon make way for new competition.

Coco was down 44% in its fourth weekend as it added 277,000 admissions (USD 2.08 million) to its sturdy 3.05 million spectators (USD 22.06 million) in total. 

Not far behind was Hollywood horror Insidious: The Last Key, which bowed with 212,000 entries (USD 1.64 million) over the weekend and 363,000 sales (USD 2.56 million) since Wednesday.

Along with the Gods: The Two Worlds was in fifth place during its seventh weekend as it brought in another 125,000 viewers (USD 969,000), raising its total to a staggering 14.2 million admissions (USD 104.58 million), which puts it at just over 65,000 entries away from the number two spot of all time at the local box office.

Holding a commanding lead on the reservations chart is the new Marvel title Black Panther, even though it doesn’t open until February 14. Among this week’s upcoming releases, the leader is Detective K: Secret of the Living Dead, the third installment in the popular period investigative action-comedy series.

• Like 1

February 7, 2018

[Lily's Take] Lee Min Jung's Early Birthday Party th_party.gif

Source: 216jung // Naver via HanCinema.net

photo942065.jpg

Actress Lee Min-jung shared the snapshots from the early birthday party thrown for her by her friends.

On February 8th, Lee Min-jung shared a post on her official Instagram account with a short caption saying, "Everyone thank you for an early birthday party". In the photos uploaded, Lee Min-jung is captured with big smiles and silly faces as she held an adorable ombre-colored birthday cake. Enjoying her time with her closest friends, the actress is about to celebrate another great year.

Her actual birthday is on February 16th, when she will be turning 36 years old. Seeing that she celebrated her birthday early with her friends, it is expected that she will be celebrating her actual birthday with her husband Lee Byung-hun and her 2-year-old son, Lee Joon-hoo.

By: Lily Lee

• Like 3

February 9, 2018

“KEYS TO THE HEART”   Behind-the-scenes footage.  

(A translation of the sub-titles in Chinese.   Kindly note not all the conversations are in sequence.  The translations just reflect whatever appeared on the screen) 

The concept is full of chemical effects.

Lee Byung Hun (LBH) played Jo Ha:    “ This story is very close to everyday life.  It will make you laugh and will also moved you to tears.”

Park Jun Min (PJM) played Jin Tae:   “As soon as I saw the script. I was deeply moved and immediately replied that  { I really want to act}”

Youn Yuh Jung (YYJ) played In Sook:  “ Lee Byung Hun and Park Jung Min decided they will take part.  I want to work with good actors therefore I decided to take part.” 

Ju Seong Hwan (JSH), producer:  “The script is good” 

Choi Sung Hyun (CSH) director:  “I hope the story after Jo Ha reunifies with Jin Tae can be a gift to the audience.” 

The assembly of a Dream Cast.  

JSH:  “This is the first case in my productions that the final casting is what I have originally in mind.”  

CSH:  “They always make me admire them and sigh. That's the real acting.”

LBH:   “Do you know what real boxing is? Straight punches! The hook! Do you     understand?” 

JSH:  “Lee Byung Hun is amazing”

Kim Tae Sung (KTS) Cinematographer:  “A totally natural actor”. 

Lee Tae Hoon (LTH), Art Director:   “Acting God”

PJM:  “Working with Lee sunbae is like a dream.  The sight of his astonishing acting gives ma great inspiration.”

PJM:  “ I would like another one, please “ 

JSH:   “Actor Park Jung Min is a gem.”

KTS:  “An actor with very powerful talent” 

LTH:  “An acting Master” 
LBH “He is very special; works hard;  is honest;  he is extremely talented yet still works tirelessly;   he will not     miss any detail, no matter how small.” 

YYJ:  “I just used this hand?” 

PJM:  “Yes”

YYJ:  “But you are behind me.”

PJM:  “Perhaps I felt it.”

YYJ:  “You are super sensitive.”  

YYJ:  “They all acted very well, much better than me.”

LBH:  “Can we do a retake one more time?”

CSH: “Sure”

LBH:  “Sorry” 

YYJ:  “No, I made more errors.”  

LBH:  “Everytime I requested a retake, sunbae Youn will say [You want to win an Oscar?]  [you have won already, what else do you want?]

PJM:  “Sunbae is very humourous;  the atmosphere with everyone is comfortable and fun. 

The performance is sparkling.  

JSH:   “The best director, actors and production team.  They all strived to bring the best results to the audience.”  

LBH: “He is a typical, common snake. I learned a little boxing.  In order to play this character, I lost about three to four kilos. We were really free.  Therefore, we were able to improvise and ad lib.  We felt it was interesting.”

PJM:  “I borrowed a few pieces of my dad's clothing.  For the role, I also studied some documentaries and books, as well as prepaing myself through real personal experience.”  

KTS:   “Their performance is impressive. I just have to set up the wide angle lens to provide sufficient frame space for the actors.”

LTH:  “This movie is really close to reality.   Therefore we focused on the details of the design,  trying the utmost to emphasize the details.”

Saying of Muhammad Ali posted on the door:  “Impossible is not a fact.  It’s an  opinion”  

Hwang Sang Jun (HSJ ) Musical Director  “I hope the music can move you at every sequence of the movie.  I want to deliver  a beautifully package gift to the auience’s heart.”  

YYJ:  “ This movie has stunning Lee Byung Hun and newcomer actor Park Jung Min.” 

CSH:   “Hope this movie touches your heart before touching your mind” 

PJM:  “After watching this movie, your heart will be warm” 

JSH:  “I hope everybody will start a blessed and happy 2018 with <KEYS TO MY HEART>”

LBH:  This movie will bring you a lot of laughter and is very moving.  Everyone, please support “KEYS TO THE HEART”. 

Source:   Video by CJ Entertainment and subtitles provided by Garage Play via Angel 70. 

• Like 3

Lots of good & happy pics to compile ~

February 9, 2018

KEYS TO THE HEART Surpassing 3 Million Admission

Lee Byung Hun, Youn Yuh Jung & Park Jung Min Attend Special Stage Greet 

Photos from Korean media, as stated

201802091916778632_5a7d75360622d.jpg

2018020918510356800.jpeg

윤여정, '든든한 아들 박정민·이병헌과 함께' (그것만이 내 세상)

• Like 3

February 10, 2018

“KEYS TO THE HEART”  Lee Byung Hun:  “  I always remind myself to be alert.”  (a translation)

20180208b_2.jpg

How would Lee Byung Hun, a Korean actor named the Acting God of Chungmuro Road evaluate himself?  And what about his dreams of happiness and life?

Recently,  at a cafe in Samcheong-dong, Seoul,  Lee Byung Hun was interviewed for the movie “KEYS TO THE HEART.”  He received such titles as “God of Acting”, “Seat of Acting skill”, etc.  

On the question of  “What were your thoughts during filming”, Lee said:  “Since there have been so many Acting Gods of Chungmuro Road recently, it isn’t too much of a burden.  I shall take that as a compliment and encouragement and would like to thank you for your support."

" When I first heard about this praise, I was embarassed and surprised; however, I later learned that many other actors received the same praise.  Everyone’s acting is very good, so I think this term is very interesting."

When asked, “How do you rate yourself?”, he replied “It’s too hard, but there is still a lot to learn.  “With respect to this movie, I never felt that I have so much to learn, I often reminded myself to stay alert.”

20180208b_1.jpg

“Teacher Youn Yuh-Jung has been an actress for a very long time and is still so popular.  There is now a new black horse Park Jung Min.  While cooperating with them in this movie, I felt inspired by them.  Therefore, during filming,  I constantly reminded myself to stay alert.”

“I have a flexible disposition, whether it is proceeding forward or going backwards,  or standing still, I am not that persistent.  I take things as they come.  Time is passing;  the world is changing; no matter where I am; how others evaluate me; these things are not related to my will; therefore, I only cherish what I have at my disposal."

“If you deliberately cling to something, life will get harder and harder.”  “The greater the hope, the greater the disappointment.    Even if I have determined to do something in advance, most likely the result may not turn out the way I wished for.  So I feel I believe in fate, my life’s portrait has been painted, if I am unable to reach a certain territory, getting upset does not have much meaning.   Although effort is very important, but I think many things are arranged by fate.”

Finally, on the question of  “what is most important in life”  he says “ Family and movies.”  “My family and movies are the most important things in my life now; although I do not know whether the I can take care of both at the same time; but my accomplishments today are inseparable from the two, so I must do it.”

The movie “KEYS TO THE HEART” tells the story of a penniless over the hill boxer who reunited with his long lost brother who suffered from savant syndrome and how they live together under the same roof.  The ordinary family drama whch has wonderful acting,  great effort from the director, and beautiful music brought the audience to a brand new world. The film was released on January 17 and the lucky viewers can also meet the actors in the cinema. (This article comes from Korean cooperative media Korea 'Daily Economy’)

Source: http://ikr.ifeng.com/6369567/news.shtml?srctag=pc2m&back&back&back

(via Angel 70) 

• Like 3

@peonie Another great article, Barbara and quite a personal revelation, too. Glad to read the mention of family in the interview. Hopefully Lee Byung Hun will continue to be a mature-thinking person as well as a moving-forward actor in his career. He still has a lot to offer and show as a serious versatile actor who at the same time, stays committed to his family. Ultimately it's his strongest support he must never take for granted. These days, a lot of distractions can certainly affect people (celebs in particular) in the most damaging way, so, for the sake of his loved ones & himself, he has to be humbly grounded and alert as he mentioned in the interview..

February 10 B.O. Update: Number 2 - 92,727 daily;  3,136,029 total th_up1.gif

KEYS TO THE HEART finally crosses the 3 million mark, well done! The coming week & weekend will be a busy time for the moviegoers. Wishing KEYS TO THE HEART will attract (even) more people to enjoy JoHa's family-comedy despite new movies are coming out especially for the Seollal holidays.

Lee Min Jung is headed to New York for the Michael Kors 2018 Fashion Show. Looks like her birthday (2/16) falls exactly on Seollal, it's no wonder that her friends threw an early birthday treat for her. February 16 is also when ETERNAL opens in Japan. If not mistaken, from the fan tweets, THE FORTRESS will be released in Japan in April, on the 14th.

2/11 - MJ just posted her airport photos (IG).. maybe my eyes needs a check-up.. but she seems pregnant? kaoani_whiteball_01.gif

Photo: RIVERIVER @riveriver_magazine

Korean Culture Magazine "RIVERIVER" Tokyo, Japan

riveriver_jp1.jpg

• Like 3

February 11 B.O. Update: Number 2 - 84,723 daily;  3,220,749 total th_up1.gif

February 11, 2018

Review: Keys to the Heart

Richard Gray The Reel Bits

20180211rb.jpg

If Lee Byung-hun is being likened to the Tom Cruise of South Korean cinema, then KEYS TO THE HEART (그것만이 내 세상) might just be his Rain Man. The comparison is an obvious one, dealing as it does with a man suddenly finding out about his autistic brother. Yet despite the unoriginality of the premise, writer/director Choi Sung-Hyun’s film still brings the warm and fuzzies.

The setup is simplicity itself. Washed-up boxer Jo-Ha (Lee Byung-hun) is drawn back into the life of his estranged mother In-Sook (Youn Yuh-Jung). Learning he has a younger brother Jin-Tae (Park Jung-Min), an autistic savant with a penchant for piano, the brothers begin to transform each other.  

While it is hard to completely separate KEYS TO THE HEART from Barry Levinson’s Oscar-winning film, it’s also just as difficult to not get swept up in the inherent goodness of it all. It’s a series of on-rails comic/dramatic vignettes as Jo-Ha slowly gets his life back in order, and Jin-Tae learns of a world outside his sheltered existence. 

The comedy ranges from the subtle interactions of Lee and Park to the latter miming public defecation. If it sounds slightly silly, it’s because it is, and everyone involved seems to be content enough to just let the inoffensive waves wash over them. It all builds up to the classic change-of-heart at the airport trope, and a musical finale, but it will be a heart-hearted person indeed who doesn’t shed a tear or two in the last 20 minutes. 

You’ll feel completely manipulated, of course, but the star power paves over numerous obvious moves in Choi Sung-Hyun’s script. Ultimately a showcase Lee and Park, it’s the latter who is a complete revelation. Seen recently in The King’s Case Note and Psychokinesis, Park completely disappears into his autistic persona. With a handful of repeated phrases, and physical affectations, Park delivers a transformative performance that might just earn him a few awards nods.

Meanwhile, international star Lee banks on his brooding looks and tough-guy persona, but it’s a fairly safe investment. His journey from ex-boxer to nice guy is preordained, but he’s impossible to look away from. Industry legend Youn Yuh-Jung, off the back of The Bacchus Lady, has a small but memorable role. Her presence give the film gravitas, and some of scenes will be single-handedly responsible for the sales of tissues during the post-film sniffles.

KEYS TO THE HEART won’t score any accolades for imagination or daring. Yet despite its similarities to other films, or perhaps because of them, it will still earn points as an audience favourite and a chance to see some fine actors working together. 

• Like 3

February 14, 2018

February Male Advertisement Model Brand Reputation Rankings Revealed

Source: Soompi by A. Kim

Spoiler

Kang-Daniel-Gong-Yoo-Kim-Saeng-Min-XPN.jpg

The Korean Business Research Institute has released the brand reputation rankings of male advertisement models for February.

The rankings were determined after an analysis of 17,665,502 pieces of data about 50 male brand models collected from January 13 to February 14. This was a 13.08 percent increase from the 15,621,606 pieces of data used in the ranking for last December.

The monthly brand reputation rankings are a result of big data analysis of participation, media coverage, communication, and community awareness as a means to study consumer habits.

Wanna One’s Kang Daniel topped February’s rankings with a total score of 2,408,201 points. This was a 19.76 percent increase from his previous score in the December 2017 rankings.

The chief of the Korean Business Research Institute, Goo Chang Hwan, commented, “Following the analysis for the February 2018 male advertisement model brand rankings, Kang Daniel recorded first. Kang Daniel’s brand as well as the “Kang Daniel syndrome” is continuing through the advertisements and various broadcast, music, and variety show activities he is participating in as a Wanna One member. In 2018, Kang Daniel will be a model for product and distribution advertisements, as well as for financial services.”

Gong Yoo took second place with a total score of 2,225,736 points, which was an impressive 163.62 percent increase from his 844,296 point score in the December 2017 rankings.

Finally, Kim Saeng Min placed third with a total score of 768,969 points, marking a 62.98 percent decrease from his top spot in the December 2017 rankings.

The top 30 for February are as follows:

1. Kang Daniel
2. Gong Yoo
3. Kim Saeng Min
4. Park Bo Gum
5. Baek Jong Won
6. Kang Dong Won
7. Yoo Jae Suk
8. Park Seo Joon
9. Yang Se Hyung
10. Jo Jung Suk
11. Song Joong Ki