Lee Byung Hun 이병헌 Byunghun Lee

rubie

November 14, 2016

Three top actors team up for Korean film 'Master'

By Shim Sun-ah

SEOUL, Nov. 14 (Yonhap) -- "Master," a Korean crime action film set to open next month, is one of the most-anticipated movies of the winter season for its star-studded cast.

It has Lee Byung-hun, Kang Dong-won and Kim Woo-bin, top actors who represent three different age groups in the Korean film industry.

The movie revolves around a multibillion-dollar heist plotted by Chairman Jin, a notorious swindler, and the head of the police's intelligence crime unit who chase him. Jin's right-hand man, who is an expert computer programmer, also has a big role.

Lee plays Chairman Jin, a charismatic businessman and master con artist who is good at changing his appearance and persuading others with sweet words.

This marks his first villain since director Kim Jee-woon's "The Good, The Bad, The Weird," released in 2008.

Actor Lee Byung-hun speaks during a news conference for "Master" at CGV-Apgujeong theater in southern Seoul on Nov. 14, 2016. (Yonhap)

Actor Lee Byung-hun speaks during a news conference for "Master" at CGV-Apgujeong theater in southern Seoul on Nov. 14, 2016. (Yonhap)

"I have played roles close to bad over the past several years. But this is my first time to play such a character who is evil to the bone since 'The Good, The Bad, The Weird,'" Lee said during a news conference for the new film at CGV-Apgujeong theater in southern Seoul.

He excluded the T-1000 robot assassin he played in the Hollywood action film "Terminator Genisys" last year because it is not a human character.

Even for the veteran actor with more than 25 years of experience in his career, it was a challenge to play the Chairman Jin character.

"When actors play a character who is evil to the bone, it is difficult for them to have empathy with such a character. So they desperately strive to make themselves be persuaded by the character," he said.

After many hours of study and discussions with the director, he reached the conclusion that Jin is a person who thinks differently from ordinary people and isn't even aware that he is doing bad things. "I was able to act only after that," he said.

"Master" also stars Kang as Kim Jae-myeong, a righteous police officer who tries to track Jin as the head of the intelligence crime team at the National Police Agency and Kim Woo-bin as Park Jang-gun, Jin's closest associate who is in charge of the company's computer room.

It was helmed by Cho Ui-seok, best known for "Cold Eyes," which drew over 5 million viewers in 2013, and has actress Uhm Ji-won and actor Oh Dal-su in supporting roles.

The film is set to open in local theaters in December.

sshim@yna.co.kr

S. Korean actor Lee Byung-hun

South Korean actor Lee Byung-hun, who stars in the new crime-action movie "Master," poses for a photo during a publicity event in Seoul on Nov. 14, 2016. The movie will be released in South Korea in December. (Yonhap) (END)

• Like 4

November 14, 2016

Upcoming crime flick ‘Master’ hits close to home

Star-studded film features immoral villain, criminal group and dogged detective 

The hotly anticipated crime flick “Master” features three characters, played by a trio of top stars, who are each “masterful” at what they do. 

Lee Byung-hun portrays a criminal organization’s maniacal leader who dons a myriad of disguises; Kim Woo-bin is an unpredictable genius hacker and the mastermind behind the organization’s operations; and Kang Dong-won stars as the head detective of a white collar crime investigation unit who doggedly pursues elusive villains. 

A still of the upcoming film “Master” depicts Kim Woo-bin as a criminal genius hacker. (CJ Entertainment)

“Things that shouldn’t happen, happen” in Korea today, according to director Jo Eui-seok, who was speaking at a press conference for the upcoming film in Seoul on Monday. 

“Master” is the latest in a series of crime flicks that do not feel too far from reality. It depicts the messy tangle of corrupt politicians and criminals. 

Last year’s “Inside Men” exposed backdoor ties between a ruthless presidential candidate, a gangster and a journalist who manipulates public opinion with his pen. 

“Veteran,” also released last year, focused on a psychopathic chaebol heir who buys his way out of murder and equates “ordinary folk” with dogs. “Asura: The City of Madness,” which opened September, portrayed a demented world of power-mad politicians and corrupt cops.

In “Master,” the criminals -- dubbed “One Organization” -- funnel astronomic sums of money by lobbying high-ranking public officials and through online manipulation. 

From left: actors Kim Woo-bin, Lee Byung-hun and Kim Woo-bin pose for a photo at a press conference for their upcoming film “Master” at CGV Apgujeong on Monday. (Yonhap)

In an obvious reference to the ongoing political scandal involving President Park Geun-hye and her confidante Choi Soon-sil, the film’s tagline reads: “The biggest ‘gate’ since the country’s founding.” In Korean, the scandal has been dubbed “Choi Soon-sil gate” after the Watergate scandal that rocked the US in the 1970s. 

Jo said he paid meticulous attention to the characters and the setting to add depth to the film. The organization’s hacking headquarters, for example, is filled with “endless, parallel rows of hackers typing away mechanically,” while the detective’s office is an “open space, with lots of lighting.”

Parts of the film were shot in Manila, where the Jones Bridge Highway, the city’s largest, was closed down for the shooting of a high-speed chase scene. 

Filming also took place in Tondo, the largest slum in Manila, which added to the movie’s atmosphere of filth and squalor, according to Lee. 

“There was a pig slaughterhouse nearby. It reeked of the smell of blood and rapid decay, due to the humidity,” said Lee. “And we filmed there for over a month, eating lunch in those streets.” 

A photo depicts Lee Byung-hun monitoring his performance on the set of the upcoming film “Master.” (CJ Entertainment)

The actor, who recently starred in Antoine Fuqua’s “The Magnificent Seven,” is no stranger to depicting morally ambiguous characters, but this new role provided a different kind of challenge, according to Lee. 

“I think these kind of people operate on a different kind of logic. They have their own, very stubborn philosophy of what’s acceptable and what’s not that’s different from common reasoning. I had to convince myself of that.”

The film seeks to deliver a sort of catharsis that “so many Koreans seem to (be in) need of right now,” Lee added. “There will be parts that are very satisfying.” 

Director Jo previously helmed the 2013 thriller “Cold Eyes,” which follows a special surveillance unit as it tightens in on a most-wanted criminal organization.

“Master,” currently in the last stages of filming, is expected to hit theaters in December.

By Rumy Doo (doo@heraldcorp.com)

• Like 4

November 15, 2016

Actors Lee, Kang, Kim talk about roles in film 'Master'

Source: Yonhap (clip with English subs)

SEOUL, Nov. 15 (Yonhap) -- Top South Korean actors Lee Byung-hun, Kang Dong-won and Kim Woo-bin introduced their characters for the upcoming crime film "Master" at a news conference held Moday in southern Seoul.

The movie revolves around a multibillion-dollar heist plotted by Chairman Jin (Lee Byung-hun), a notorious swindler, and Kim Jae-myeong (Kang Dong-won), the head of the police's intelligence crime unit who chase Jin and Park Jang-gun (Kim Woo-bin), Jin's right-hand man in charge of the company's computer room.

The movie is set to reach theaters in December.

yujeoungkr@yna.co.kr

• Like 4

November 16, 2016

“Three generations of god-liked actors gather together” Lee Byung Hun, Kang Dong Wan and Kim Woo Bin attended the “Masters” press conference. (a translation) 

Screen%20Shot%202016-11-14%20at%205.40.1

Today (November 14) morning, “Master” held its press conference in  CGV Apgujeong, Seoul.  

Master is a crime movie with both action and entertainment elements.  It tells the story of a large-scale fraud in the trillions, criminals and the conflict between the criminals and the investigation team.   Cho Ui Seok, who directed “Cold Eyes” is the director of this movie.

Lee Byung Hun plays the role of Chairman Jin, who uses his eloquent speech to defraud a large sum of money from tens of thousands of his members. He said:  “I have acted in a lot of close to bad guy roles before, but it is the first time for me to play a character who is evil to the bone since “The Good, The Bad And The Weird”.
Screen%20Shot%202016-11-14%20at%205.39.0

Kang Dong Wan plays the character Kim Jae Myeong, a highly intelligent team leader who is investigating Chairman Jin.  This is the first time that he played Interpol.
“This is a righteous character not because of an inferority complex but is doing what he feels is appropriate,.  It’s just like me.”

Screen%20Shot%202016-11-14%20at%205.39.1

Kim Woo Bin plays Park Jang Goon, Chairman Jin’s brains who built the crime network.  Kim Woo Bin said, “ Working with (Lee Byung Hun and Kang Dong Wan) is very exciting and tense. In order not to drag down anyone, I worked extra hard.”  He added that to perform well the part of setting up the network “I practiced typing a lot”
Screen%20Shot%202016-11-14%20at%205.39.2

• Like 4

Source: BNTNews

Lee Byung Hun Talks about the Film

k1biu1m0vgj5nh1itcseaxa991crulg5.jpg

[by Woorim Ahn, photo by Baek Soo Yeon] Movie ‘Master’ held its production conference at CGV Apgujeong in Gangnam-gu, Seoul on November 14.

‘Master’ that Lee Byung Hun, Kang Dong Won and Kim Woo Bin appear is about a crime investing crime team, a swindler and his team’s story in pursuit.

Meanwhile, ‘Master’ will premiere in December. (photo by bntnews DB)

x4furc7y4uookximvjk7lpbifre47wyu.jpg

• Like 4

November 15, 2016

Lee Byung Hun Opens Up About His Panic Disorder In Esquire’s November Issue

Source: Soompi by E. Kim 

Lee Byung Hun2

In the latest issue of fashion magazine Esquire, actor Lee Byung Hun opens about his panic disorder.

“Since a few years ago, I have suffered from panic disorder,” the actor reveals. “My personality has always been the type to get nervous easily, but when a panic attack suddenly hits, I can’t breathe. I don’t know why that happens.”

Lee Byung Hun3

Lee Byung Hun continues, “Usually in situations that I can’t escape like a fan meeting or a public radio broadcast, I have a moment where I can’t hear anything [and my mind goes blank].”

“I think, ‘What should I do? Should I just run out like this? Can I do that?’ and am conflicted like that for at least 10 minutes,” Lee Byung Hun says. “But my conclusion after all of that is, ‘Aish, even if I faint, I’ll just faint here,’ and I endure it.”

Lee Byung Hun4

“But when I’m really scared or when my nervousness reaches a boiling point, I think, ‘Is there much to life anyways?’ and go out. I have a bit of a happy-go-lucky personality,” Lee Byung Hun says, laughing.

Meanwhile, you can catch the full pictorial and interview featuring Lee Byung Hun in the November issue of Esquire.

Spoiler

Lee Byung Hun

Source (1) (2)

• Like 3

November 14, 2016

THE WAILING Leads 37th Blue Dragon Nominations
TRAIN TO BUSAN Close Behind with 10 Nods

by Pierce Conran / KoBiz

The Blue Dragon Awards, the most prestigious awards body of the Korean film industry, has announced the nominations for its 37th edition, which will take place at the end of the month. Leading this year’s crop is NA Hong-jin’s THE WAILING with 11 nominations, while YEON Sang-ho’s TRAIN TO BUSAN isn’t far behind with 10 nods in 9 categories. 

Also heavily nominated were PARK Chan-wook’s The Handmaiden (8), KIM Jee-woon’s The Age of Shadows (7), WOO Min-ho’s Inside Men (6), KIM Seong-hun’s Tunnel (6), JANG Jae-hyun’s The Priests (5), KIM Sung-soo’s Asura : The City of Madness (5) and LEE Joon-ik’s DONGJU; The Portrait of A Poet (4).

In what has been a strong year for commercial Korean films, this year’s Best Film category features The Age of Shadows, TRAIN TO BUSAN, THE WAILING, DONGJU; The Portrait of A Poet, Inside Men and The Handmaiden. Minus TRAIN TO BUSAN, the same films were nominated for the Best Director prize. YEON Sang-ho was nominated for the Best New Director Prize, alongside KIM Tae-gon (Familyhood), LEE Il-hyung (A Violent Prosecutor), JANG Jae-hyun (The Priests) and YOON Ga-eun (The World of Us).

In the Best Actress category, the nominees are SON Ye-jin (The Last Princess), HAN Ye-ri (Worst Woman), KIM Min-hee (The Handmaiden), KIM Hye-soo (Familyhood) and YOUN Yuh-jung (The Bacchus Lady), while the Best Actor contenders are JUNG Woo-sung (Asura : The City of Madness), LEE Byung-hun (Inside Men), SONG Kang-ho (The Age of Shadows), KWAK Do-won (THE WAILING) and HA Jung-woo (Tunnel).

The 37th Blue Dragon Awards will take place on November 25th

• Like 4

November 16, 2016

Excerpt of a Q & A from "Master" press conference ( A translation ) 

Screen%20Shot%202016-11-14%20at%204.34.2

Q:  What is the most difficult in overseas location shooting?

LBH:   "The area where shooting took place always has an indescribable odor which is most difficult to endure.  However, because of enviromental impact, we often ate breakfast very early in the morning.  Next to our location is a pig slaughterhouse where there is always a pool of pig blood.  Due to  high humidity and temperature the blood turned rancid quickly.  Since we could only eat our lunch bento in that enviroment, we got used to it.  Although the weather was very hot, all the film crew had to wear masks when working."

Source: koreastardaily

• Like 4

November 16, 2016

'MASTER' Cast sends support messages to CSAT students

Source: MyDaily (ELBH Google-translate)

On November 16, the MA$TER cast sent their encouragement & support messages to students taking the CSAT in Korea, CJ Entertainment on its official instagram uploaded photos of main actors Lee Byung Hun, Kang Dong Won and Kim Woo Bin sending cheering energy to students scheduled to take the examination on November 17.

20161114_68.jpg

Published on November 15, 2016 by CJ Entertainment Official 

• Like 3

@p.v.wong Thanks so much for the clip highlight, there's indeed a full clip on YT which rubie here did not realize. bricks.gif I know my eyes will surely miss something (and Barbara would be shaking her head reading this, I shouldn't be back at the thread so soon :sweatingbullets:). Glad that there's a complete clip around, I was thinking the separate instagram clips are great to watch and keep but would be a hassle to dl.

The clips & pics of Master are looking fantastic, hope the movie delivers and more!

Source: Xportsnews

1479255617899161.jpg

• Like 3