Lee Byung Hun 이병헌 Byunghun Lee

rubie

October 31, 2017

@rubie and @mistymorning

Thank you so much for translating the speech and for inserting it to the acceptance speech.   It must have been difficult.   What a luxury to be able to understand what Lee Byung Hun is saying while he is on stage.   This is so meaningful for his fans.  I am so glad that he honoured Lee Min Jung, his son and his mother.   

• Like 4

Re-posting here a previous article posted at MR.SUNSHINE soompi, more sharing at the drama thread. 

October 23, 2018

Q and A: Catching up with the stars of 'Mr. Sunshine'
Rappler talks to Lee Byung-hun and Kim Tae-ri about playing the star-crossed lovers on the show

Source: Rappler.com

STAR-CROSSED LOVERS. The two star as the enigmatic leads of the Korean drama. Photo Courtesy of Hwa&Dam/Netflix

STAR-CROSSED LOVERS. The two star as the enigmatic leads of the Korean drama. Photo Courtesy of Hwa&Dam/Netflix 

MANILA, Philippines – If you're late to (or still not onboard) the Korean drama wave, we can't really blame you. With over decades of titles to choose from, it's hard to even think about where to start.

Mr. Sunshine, from the makers of the hit Descendants of the Sun, might be a good place to start. It just concluded its run and all episodes are available for streaming on demand over at Netflix.

In a nutshell, Mr. Sunshine is a treat for those who enjoy a mix of history and drama. But it's not just about that. Set in the 19th century or the Joseon dynasty in Korea, the show primarily tells the story of Eugene Choi, a Joseon-born man who finds himself in the United States only to later return as a US marine officer.

He then finds himself falling for the daughter of an aristocrat, all while learning of plans to colonize his native land. If that's not enough reason to get you hooked, we can assure you that the acting is top-notch.

The writing is also just as tight while being adaptable – Soompi reports that the details of a certain character were tweaked following backlash from viewers.

Rappler caught up with the stars of Mr. Sunshine who play star-crossed lovers in the hit television series.

Photo Courtesy of Hwa&Dam/Netflix

Lee Byung-hun (plays Eugene Choi)

What motivated or inspired you to be part of Mr. Sunshine?

I didn't see any reason not to work with Lee Eung-bok and Kim Eun-sook. I'd been always open to doing dramas, and as soon as I read the script, I made up my mind to take on the project. I found the story very captivating and well-written, and I felt that Eugene Choi was very intriguing.

How did you prepare for the characters you played – they all have interesting back stories and are all intertwined.

Most of the time, I have to play a character in a situation that I've never experienced myself, so I try my best to immerse myself in the character and focus on his situation when reading the script. My acting is the result of constant practice and hard work.

Eugene is an interesting character. He's both familiar with and a stranger to Joseon. How did you approach portraying someone as complicated as him?

Eugene Choi has a literally complex background. And because his background consists of rare circumstances, it's difficult to fully understand his emotions. So as I mentioned earlier, I try to put myself in the character's situation and stay focused on the character's situation to feel his emotions. Essentially, the approach doesn't change just because the character is more complex. The key is to try your best to understand the character you play.

Compared to other dramas, do you think there's more pressure when dramas are historical? In what way?

It's not just historical dramas that place a lot of pressure on an actor, but every genre does. Any genre of TV show can influence the audience, so I try to stay very conscious of that. But of course, the audience feel slightly different emotions when they watch historical dramas as opposed to modern ones, so I do feel the weight of pressure a little more. I believe that it's also important for a historical drama not to distort historical facts that its story is based on.

Spoiler

Photo Courtesy of Hwa&Dam/Netflix

Kim Tae-ri (plays Go Ae-shin)

What motivated or inspired you to be part of Mr. Sunshine?

I had a meeting with the writer and the director without knowing anything about the show. I saw how confident and passionate they were about this show, and that's why I decided to take on the project.

How did you prepare for the characters you played – they all have interesting back stories and are all intertwined.

I studied the historical context first and then thought a lot about Ae-shin's relationship with other characters around her. I tried to get a glimpse of her personality in her dialogues with her teacher, nanny, and butler. And afterwards, I tried to understand new situations from Ae-shin's point of view.

Go Ae-shin, in many ways, is the show's spark. How did you prepare to play a noble who always breaks convention?

At first, I wasn't sure to what extent I could push the unconventional personality of Ae-shin. But I found my answer in the various forms of relationships that Ae-shin has with people around her. When Ae-shin is with her nanny, Ham-ahn, who is a mother figure to Ae-shin, she is very different from the version of herself when she walks around the streets of Seoul covered up in a cloak.

Likewise, Ae-shin is different when she's around Eugene, who is a stranger but intriguing, and when she meets Hui-seong, who comes to visit her after 10 years of absence. So I tried to portray different extents to which Ae-shin lets her guard down depending on who she's around. I think that helped build a much more interesting character.

Do you do your own action sequences and stunts? How was the experience?

I tried my best to cover as many scenes as possible myself. I checked with experts about safety issues before we started shooting action scenes. Even then, once I started shooting, I would get quite eager to do a better job. I was tumbling around, hitting into everything and ending up with a lot of bruises. But when the scene comes out great, I feel so rewarded. I had to balance myself between my eagerness to do a better job and my safety.

Compared to other dramas, do you think there's more pressure when dramas are historical? In what ways?

There are certain sentiments that are almost ingrained in you as a citizen of a country. Historical drama can be a bit sensitive in that sense. Ae-shin has multiple layers to herself – her patriotism towards her country, her determination to protect her family, and her feelings for her lover. It occurred to me that if one single aspect is emphasized too much, that could distort the character as a whole. Anything is possible for a human being, in theory, but Ae-shin is a character in a drama for [a large audience to see]. It was challenging to play Ae-shin because how a character is perceived by the viewers is also important.

– Rappler.com mrs.jpg

October 31, 2018

Thanks to Chungmuro Crumb for the news highlight from JoyNews24~

JoyNews24: 2018 Entertainment Power People

Another survey conducted by Joy News 24 to commemorate its 14th anniversary (I wonder how many surveys they conducted ) about "2018 Entertainment Power People"

This survey included 200 peoples who worked for entertainment and broadcasting companies, producers of film and broadcasting contents, and reporters from entertainment department.

Here following list of "2018 Entertainment Power People" by 200 entertainment industry experts:

1. BTS : 114
2. Bang Si Hyuk & Lee Young Ja: 10
3. PD Na Yeong Seok: 8
4. SM Lee Soo Man: 6
5. Kim Tae Ri, Lee Byung Hun & IU : 4
6. JYP Park Jin Young : 2
7. YG Yang Hyun Suk, Lee Hyo Ri, Ha Jung Woo, Jung Woo Sung, Park Na Rae, Blackpink : 1

• Like 4

th_0025.gif Our thanks to @peonie and  @mistymorning for the translation ~

The Eugene Choi Interview: Confession of Mr.Sunshine mrs.jpg

November 1, 2018

Joynews24 Survey: 2018 Best Drama of The Year

Anyway, another great highlight by Chungmuro Crumb from the Joynews24 survey.

Following list of Joy News 24 survey "2018 Best Drama of the Year" by 200 entertainment industry experts:

1. Mr Sunshine : 50 mrs.jpg
2. 100 Days My Husband & Misty : 24
3. My Ahjussi : 17
4. Live : 13
5. Why Secretary Kim & Son The  Guest : 12
6. Life & PrettyNoonaWhobuysmefood : 8
7. Beauty Inside : 7
8. Mother, Where Stars Land & Life On Mars : 4

"...From the strong characters who lived in that era, fantastic chemistry of the actors, the solid narration and acting, "Mr. Sunshine" was completed as another best life time drama. The highest audience rating was 18.1%."

• Like 4

logo.png

November 1, 2018

JM solution:  Actors Lee Byung Hun, Han Hyo Joo, Kim Go Eun Selected as Global Skin Care Advertising Models

Source: Naver news // JMsolution (Honey Luminous) // Ebay (thanks to mistymorning for the gist and twitter fans for the highlight)

20181101_2.jpg

20181101_1.jpg

Korean Cosmetics Brand JM solution revealed today “we picked Lee Byung Hun, Han Hyo Joo and Kim Go Eun as our models because their image of expanding to abroad matches JM solution brand image going international.”

The serum that will be endorsed by Lee Byung Hun is the Original JM Solution Honey Luminous Royal Propolis Skin Care Set Toner Lotion. The skincare is set at an affordable price.

The new JM solution CFs by Lee Byung Hun, Han Hyo Joo and Kim Go Eun will be aired on terrestrial TV and cable TV from November 1 onward. 

20181101_4.jpg

20181101_6.jpg

• Like 4

15 hours ago, rubie said:

New selfie on IG! BH has arrived in LA from Incheon after a 10-hour flight ~

He took off his mask and smiled at us to show that everything was OK. Probably it occurred to him that we are worried about the sight of the masked LBH during the departure. Nice gesture, do not you think?

• Like 4

4 hours ago, 3po3 said:

He took off his mask and smiled at us to show that everything was OK. Probably it occurred to him that we are worried about the sight of the masked LBH during the departure. Nice gesture, do not you think?

You're probably right, he never wears masks at airports, etc (unlike some celebrities) although this is actually the second time this year he had worn a mask publicly. The first time was with his wife (re: here) when they were cheering the Korean team at the Winter Olympics earlier this year.

Along with the arrival photo, BH wrote another quote from MR.SUNSHINE "10 hours for one and a half hand span" Obviously, Eugene Choi is still going through a withdrawal from the drama.:P

Thanks to @mistymorning for the translation.. just like before, 216jung (Lee Min Jung) had left a comment at the photo, she wrote 안대는 좀 빼시죠ㅋ meaning "drop that sleep shade".. this is so funny because BH probably forgotten to take it off before taking the selfie. Only his wife would notice that.. :lol: as they traveled a lot together, only this time she's busy filming a drama to be aired in December.

2018110101000088200002781.jpg

Dq5uLDDU4AASXmh.jpg:large

Capture: @BHringnyu

• Like 5

November 2, 2018

Mr. Sunshine actor Lee Byung-hun: how I missed out on the Hollywood hit 'Crazy Rich Asians'
We meet the South Korean star in an exclusive interview, where he shares his views about films, Hollywood productions and his return to TV on Netflix

BY WINNIE CHUNG Style Magazine SCMP

We almost had a chance to see Lee Byung-hun – that’s Mr. Sunshine to Korean drama fans – in a walk-on cameo on Crazy Rich Asians.

Unfortunately, a schedule clash took that out of the equation: that’s what happens when you are busy maintaining successful careers on both sides of the Pacific Ocean.

Lee, arguably South Korea’s biggest international star, had worked with Crazy Rich Asians director Jon M. Chu on his first Hollywood outing, G.I. Joe, before and the director had issued an invitation for a cameo when he started filming. “Unfortunately, I didn’t have time to do it,” Lee tells me ruefully in Venice, where he is a guest of luxury watchmaker Jaeger-LeCoultre at the Venice International Film Festival.

Having watched Lee as the unsmiling, hard-nosed, commanding soldier in Mr. Sunshine and seen photos of his sculpted physique, the real-life Lee seemed less imposing, even a little shy as we sit at the hotel poolside. His answers are measured, if sometimes a bit hesitant, possibly because the interview was in English although, by this writer’s standards, he was quite fluent.

When we meet, Lee is still in the last weeks of filming for Mr. Sunshine, his first Korean television drama in almost eight years. Set during the turn of the century, the drama takes place during a time when foreign forces such as the Americans and Japanese were tussling for power during the waning days of the Joseon empire at the end of the 19th century.

The 48-year-old actor plays the titular character, Eugene Choi, who runs away to America as a young child after his parents are killed by ruthless slave-owners. He returns to his homeland 30 years later as an American soldier who has to manoeuvre loyalties and rivalries both for country and love.

The drama, from the same production team who brought viewers the highly successful Goblin: The Lonely and Great God, is now the highest-rated Korean cable drama of all time in terms of average viewership ratings, unseating Goblin from the top spot. The Netflix original has already garnered Drama of the Year and the Daesang award for best actor for Lee at the recent 2018 APAN Star Awards.

5853daaa-d5a5-11e8-a41d-3d2712b32637_972x_105026.jpg
Benedict Cumberbatch and Lee Byung-hun arrive for the Jaeger-LeCoultre Gala Dinner during the 75th Venice International Film Festival.

A return to TV had not crossed Lee’s mind before Kim Eun-sook, who wrote Goblin as well as Descendants of the Sun, approached him for the show. With his busy schedule, he had not watched either of her series although he had heard that “they were very genius”. “My manager had been asking me to do some drama, saying it was time. He said this was going to be a good opportunity. The writer is amazing and the director [Lee Eung-bok] is really good, there was no reason not to do it,” says Lee.

VISUALLY, IT WAS AN INTERESTING PERIOD. [BECAUSE OF ALL THE FOREIGN CULTURES CONVERGING IN KOREA], WE CAN SEE THE KOREAN HANBOK, AND THE AMERICAN, JAPANESE AND CHINESE WARDROBES

It’s been quite an adjustment for the actor, immersing himself in the demanding world television drama world again after so long. “The environment has been changing, but it’s a lot better than before but there was still a period of adjustment [to the schedules],” he says.

One of the things that interested him most for Mr. Sunshine was the period it was set in, rare for films and television. “Visually, it was an interesting period. [Because of all the foreign cultures converging in Korea], we can see the Korean hanbok, and the American, Japanese and Chinese wardrobes.”

The series also gave Lee the chance to test out his language chops as he had to speak in Korean, English and Japanese. “It was fun but at the same time it was very difficult to act. Speaking in English is different from acting in English. I had to express my emotions while speaking in a different language. It was much harder,” says Lee, who has a degree in French literature because he “didn’t have time to study”.

5cc9de40-d5a5-11e8-a41d-3d2712b32637_972x_105026.jpg

Lee Byung-hun walks the red carpet during the 75th Venice Film Festival. Lee has gained experience with foreign languages since appearing in his first Hollywood movie, ‘G.I. Joe: The Rise of the Cobra’ in 2009. Photo: Corbis via Getty Images

He has gained experience with foreign languages since appearing in his first Hollywood movie G.I. Joe: The Rise of the Cobra in 2009, where he was mainly required to look cool and deadly. In his most recent outing as Billy Rocks in The Magnificent Seven, he was more than able to hold his own with his American co-stars while still looking, well, cool and deadly.

PERSONALLY, I WANT GLOBAL AUDIENCES TO BECOME INTERESTED IN OUR PROJECTS FIRST SO THAT THEY GET MORE INTERESTED ABOUT ASIAN CULTURE, DRAMA AND MOVIES. I THINK THAT’S MORE IMPORTANT

The Hollywood journey, which started when he met an agent at the Cannes Film Festival where his South Korean movie, A Bittersweet Life, was screening, has been an interesting one for the actor. He heard nothing from the agent for months after the meeting, until the G.I. Joe script landed on his manager’s desk. Even then, Lee was a little surprised: “They wanted me for a role that required me to wear a mask all throughout!” After much persuasion, Lee finally agreed to do the film – and yes, he did get to tear the mask off.

69f27d84-d5a5-11e8-a41d-3d2712b32637_1320x770_105026.jpg
Lee Byung-hun was a guest of luxury watchmaker Jaeger-LeCoultre at the Venice International Film Festival.

Already a big star in South Korea at the time, Lee also took some time to adjust to his newbie status across the Pacific where he was once mistaken for Ken Jeong (The Hangover). “It was interesting for me being the sixth person in the cast. It wasn’t a bad experience, just interesting. In South Korea, I was already a big star as I had been working for some time. So, it was a fresh experience for me to sometimes have to wait six or seven hours and finally be told I didn’t have to shoot that day. Call time was always 6am! I needed to learn how to have a good time in my trailer,” he says with a laugh.

With Netflix’s aggressive investment in original content, the distance between Seoul and Hollywood is now closer than ever with collaborations such as Mr. Sunshine, Life and Forgotten. It has opened up new audiences for South Korean television dramas, which already have a huge following in Asia.

Lee is quite happy to see the potential being realised although he remains cautious. “We’d better keep watch to see what it can do. But one thing [is] for sure, if we have the platform, then we can make dramas for the whole world to see,” Lee says.

Previous photo of the writer and Lee Byung Hun in Venice ~

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Kany Nguyên Hồ said:

I want to ask something about fanclub's name "Rubeurs", why we call Rubeurs??? I want to know in past but don't know where to ask. 

As far as we know, the only reason we found out was that Ruber is the Latin word for Ruby, the gemstone. Being the July gemstone, the Korean fans chose that name (they spelled it a bit different though) because Lee Byung Hun was born in July. So, Rubeurs is what the official fans call themselves.

For me, I used rubie as my soompi user ID because I was born in July as well. It's not my real name. I didn't know about Rubeurs back then, many years ago.. only that my birthdate is just a few days earlier than LBH's. ^_^

• Like 4

2 hours ago, peonie said:

November 3, 2018

Thank you @rubie for your explanation of the word "Rubeurs".  I never made that association.    Interesting concept.   I found the STYLE Magazine!!!!   that featured Lee Byung Hun. 

I believe this is the reason they chose the name Rubeurs, as it makes the most sense unless there's something else we're don't know. :huh:

Anyway, so good to know that you've got the STYLE magazine... awesome! @luwali 196 did you get it, too? Barbara.. share with us, excerpts from the magazine if they haven't been posted here. Any new images that were not on the online article? But no rush, ok.. only when you return from the trip. :)

• Like 3

user posted image

November 3, 2018

2018 LACMA Art + Film Gala - Arrivals

LOS ANGELES, CA - NOVEMBER 03: Actor Lee Byung-hun attends 2018 LACMA Art + Film Gala honoring Catherine Opie and Guillermo del Toro presented by Gucci at LACMA on November 3, 2018 in Los Angeles, California. (Photo by David Livingston/Getty Images)

DrH_V2wU0AAr8IO.jpg

20181103_1.jpg

• Like 3

November 4, 2018

Another quote from MR.SUNSHINE as BH posted a new photo in LA, he went to see his Handprints with the caption "That's my namemrs.jpg

Source: @ppeanutbutt

elbh.jpg  Previous related articles at EverythingLBH.com ~

• Like 5

You know what? Before I watched the drama "Mr. Sunshine" I did not know Lee Byung Hun. Now, when I looked closely at his films, acting and personality, he delighted me with his professional skills and modesty in his private life.

I do not know about you, but I am charmed by his simplicity of being, respect for others, unpretentiousness. I hope that it will not change :)

Eugene Choi = Mister Sunshine but Lee Byung Hun = Master Sunshine!!! :heart:

xlarge

• Like 5