Quantcast
rubie

Lee Byung Hun 이병헌 Byunghun Lee #TheManStandingNext

2 hours ago, garbolein77 said:

I’ve seen “I come with the rain” yesterday which was really terrible. Only positive thing was Byung’s performance. ☺️

A lot of people and critics feel the same way, too. I kinda lost focus of the film (if there's even any point of story) if it wasn't for BH's performance. The other co-stars were not as memorable.

Another movie that have the same impression.. would be 'Misconduct'.. it's obvious that they needed to have LBH in the movie, whether his role made sense or otherwise.

Anyway...

A nice mention of Keys to The Heart from the original article here. It became one of the movies that survived the Korean box office in 2018.

-- For several years the industry has been solidifying around these four major points on the calendar with increasingly more expensive fare, but as audiences grew tired of the familiar star-driven historical titles and action-dramas, the lucrative projects turned out to be the ones setting their sights on smaller demographics and quieter box office periods. The family drama Keys to the Heart was the first bright spot of the year in mid-January and was later followed by a slew of unexpected hits in the slow post-Lunar New Year months, as Little Forest, Be With You and GONJIAM: Haunted Asylum all performed far better than expected. As the year wore on, mid-range titles continued to surprise, with the action mystery-thriller The Witch : Part 1. The Subversion and The Accidental Detective 2: In Action boasting sturdy releases in June, the thriller The Witness pulling in solid audiences in August, followed by the success of the low-budget romantic title On Your Wedding Day at the end of the month. 

Clip: boogie_python87

Music added to JoHa's breakdancing :lol:

• Like 5

January 12, 2019

MR.SUNSHINE reunion at Yoo Yeon Seok's musical 'A Gentleman's Guide to Love & Murder'

Photo posted by Kim Na Woon   spot the cast ~ Lee Byung Hun, Kim Tae Ri, Byun Yo Han, Kim Nam Hee, Lee Jung Eun and others..

20190112_mrs.jpg

Clip: song_ha_rim_

BH already in his CHIEFS OF NAMSAN mode...

• Like 6

January 14, 2019

@rubie.   Byung Hun-ssi posted so many photos from his past movies on his IG.  What a treat!   In your recollection, have you seen these before?   

• Like 6

1 hour ago, peonie said:

January 14, 2019

@rubie.   Byung Hun-ssi posted so many photos from his past movies on his IG.  What a treat!   In your recollection, have you seen these before?   

LOL! Barbara, you're right! It must be his 2019 new year's resolution :lol:.. to share all those pics from years & years of filming. At the time (circa 2008 and before), there were no IG yet and not many captures were shared directly on the spot, unlike today.

I'm sure BH posted his own exclusive pics.. when the photos posted on twitter (fans there are so fast!), instantly you'd knew that there're new pics on IG, which can only be his. :P While some may appear familiar (like those we've seen around).. they're actually not because the angle would be slightly different and the pics would be clear close-ups.. like taken separately to keep.

As always, bad boy Park Chang Yi looks like a rock star. Byunghun's IG followers steadily approaching the 120,000 mark.. so, th_rockon.gif.. BH!

Photos: skflyoun

• Like 5

DDOBOJA reviews: Mr. Sunshine mrs.jpg

Article & more GIFS at original page here ~

When initial reports came out about 'Mr. Sunshine', I'm going to be honest - I wasn't that excited for it. Some of the reasons for my lack of interest was due to: my love-hate relationship with writer Kim Eun Sook's dramas and Lee Byung Hun's playing the main role in this drama. 

mrsun-hands.gif

I think the reason I have a love-hate relationship with Kim Eun Sook's dramas is because I find some of her dramas childish or mediocre. 'The Heirs' reminded me of a bad rendition of 'Gossip Girl' where you just watched a bunch of immature characters fighting for the affection of a female character. I couldn't get into 'Descendants of the Sun' because the drama just felt like it was filled with fan service for romance drama lovers. The only drama written by Kim Eun Sook that I enjoyed from start to end was 'Goblin'. The reason I enjoyed that drama so much was because of the acting performance by Kim Go Eun and Gong Yoo, the cinematography (wow... those sageuk scenes tho), and the soundtrack - to this day I still listen to Ailee's 'I Will Go to You like the First Snow'. So after it was announced that Kim Eun Sook's next drama was 'Mr. Sunshine', I was a little bit interested because 'Goblin' really left me impressed but then it was announced that Lee Byung Hun was the male lead. 

Many people often say, "love the art not the artist." These words are usually used when the artist is problematic. I think it also perfectly describes Lee Byung Hun's career. Let's be real, Lee Byung Hun's acting is critically acclaimed. He never fails to impress viewers whether he's playing an agent who's fighting a cannibalistic murderer in 'I Saw the Devil' or a thug who loses his hand in 'Inside Men'. But it often seems like his personal life overshadows his performance. And I believe with 'Mr. Sunshine' Lee Byung Hun once again proved to viewers that he is actor Lee Byung Hun with amazing performance abilities and not actor Lee Byung Hun with a messy personal life. 

Spoiler

What I was looking most forward to was Kim Tae Ri. I became a fan of Kim Tae Ri the moment I saw her in Park Chan Wook's 'The Handmaiden'. Can you believe 'Mr. Sunshine' was Kim Tae Ri's first drama? Kim Tae Ri has filmed four movies in the past three years and they're all critically acclaimed. The reason I love Kim Tae Ri's performance in all her projects is because of her diction. Especially in 'Mr. Sunshine', she plays the role of Lady Ae Shin - she's supposed to be a soft-spoken lady that belongs to a high status noble family but every time Kim Tae Ri delivers her lines that are meant to attack her enemy, you can sense the anger but her tone is still clear and stable. 

Spoiler

I know many people weren't happy that three of the main male leads (Lee Byung Hun, Byun Yo Han, Yoo Yeon Seok) were going after the female lead (Kim Tae Ri). But I think this drama handles a love triangle/square really differently compared to other Kim Eun Sook dramas and Korean dramas. I think each male lead is in love with their own idea of Kim Tae Ri. Yoo Yeon Seok's character Goo Dong Mae was obsessed with Kim Tae Ri's character Go Ae Shin after their first encounter during their childhood and he looks out for her in his own way but initially, Ae Shin just thinks he has something against her and her status. 

Spoiler

Byun Yo Han's character Kim Hee Sung is drowning in his own regrets because he made Ae Shin (his betrothed) wait for him throughout a lengthy period and then she fell in love with someone else while waiting for him while Kim Hee Sung fell in love with Ae Shin the moment he saw her. 

And Lee Byung Hun's character Eugene Choi falls in love with Ae Shin, a woman who is from the country that abandoned him - the same woman who is trying to save that country.

Spoiler

This drama really resonated with me because I'm Korean-American and the historical events behind this drama's plot is really culturally personal. Growing up Korean-American, I went through a phase that's very common amongst other Asian-Americans. You just want to be identified as American and not be labeled as Asian-American but I learned to grow out of this very sad mindset and have come to embrace and appreciate my culture. This drama also deals with a topic that many people aren't familiar with. Many people don't realize that Korea gained independence in 1945 after being under Japanese rule for 35 years. In my opinion, this drama was able to educate people on history that many people weren't aware of and that many have forgotten about. When this drama was airing, a lot of the comments I translated were about commenters saying that they can't forget what the independence fighters fought for so that they can have the Korea they currently have. If I'm not mistaken, I believe the writer Kim Eun Sook said that she got inspiration to write 'Mr. Sunshine' after seeing a picture of members of the Righteous Army at a museum. 

Spoiler

I also loved how this drama was able to make actress Kim Min Jung's acting shine. Kim Min Jung is a well-known actress but I feel like she's mostly known for her glamorous looks rather than her acting. But her performance as Yang Hwa really left me breathless as she played a character who was only living on with the hopes of finding her mother and to sabotage her traitor father's (Kim Eui Sung) plans.  

Spoiler

I think my favorite part about this drama would have to be the selflessness from many of the good-hearted characters like Hamandaek (Lee Jung Eun), Shin Jung Geun (Haengrang), Shim Jong Min/the tailor (Nam Chang Hee), and more. Many of these good-hearted characters weren't afraid to risk their jobs and lives in order for their loved ones to live in a better Korea and in this drama, they knew Ae Shin needed to survive in order to help Korea gain independence. 

Overall, this was one of my favorite dramas of 2018. The production, directing, acting, and dialogue really touched my heart one by one. You can feel whenever a character was going through a heartache after losing someone they loved (make sure to have tissues next to you starting from episode 14 and onwards). Even if you're not a fan of historical Korean dramas, I definitely recommend you to check out 'Mr. Sunshine'. There's still a modern twist to it so that the drama won't seem monotonous and you'll learn something about Korea that you never knew about. 

Pyrography Art & clip by Artist WB

• Like 5

Fans' items on sale ~ LBH pouch and metal sticker. Please check out the naver link for easy-ordering. Thanks to mistymorning for the info in English.

Source: 날개 @AlatusDeus

Response period: 2019.01.07 (Mon) - 2019.01.21 (Mon)

Leather pouch - 15,000 KRW about $14 USD

Metal sticker - 5000 KRW about $5 USD

EMS fee separate

• Like 4

BH's new instagram, caption saying

Good posture is fundamental to all sports.

But I realized there were important things other than fundamentals then....(I'm not a referee here).

#GBW #Doonhuang #Soccergame

In some GBW interview(or clips), I remember JWS was talking about soccer game style of SGH and LBH.(found article here). By JWS, "Gangho hyung does army sergeant soccer. He just stands near goal post, scores all the goals and does the ceremony. Byunghun hyung does healthy baby soccer, running the field no relation to the ball, like doing personal training." "We did games between actor team and action actor team. We lost to action actor team every time so main casts had to pay betting money, but Gangho hyung insisted he's not main casts every time at that moment(when he had to pay)"

I like he's sharing fun and making jokes on his instagram. It makes this fan's waiting period until his next project much easier. :D

• Like 4
  • LOL 1

Thanks so much @mistymorning for the translated caption and wonderful GBW tidbit. th_celebrate008.gifThis is such a rare sharing by BH (never seen this clip before th_no2.gif), how the cast & crew spent their time to relax during their 100-day filming in Dunhuang for the movie. It's so funny seeing Byunghun-ssi running up and down the field but not getting the ball at all but what JWS said.. that he's playing 'healthy baby soccer' is so spot-on indeed! :P BH was really enjoying himself and exercising at the same time.. never mind the ball, LOL!

He's totally a certified IG-addict now.. but we're not complaining, right. However, can't help feeling a bit sad as he's not doing any dramas (for the time being) and we have to wait awhile longer for the movies to be out instead. It's also still too early to hope for any new stills to be released.176.gif

Kinda wished we have another Mr.Sunshine (with a happy ending) this year.. huh.. haha.. th_sigh.gif..

Lovely rapport between GHJ and LBH offscreen but their Single Rider was nothing like this.. sobsob! And lets not get started on Mr.Sunshine. th_sad004.gif

Source: 도미 @kkonre

• Like 6

5 hours ago, mistymorning said:

But I realized there were important things other than fundamentals then....(I'm not a referee here).

In some GBW interview(or clips), I remember JWS was talking about soccer game style of SGH and LBH.(found article here). By JWS, "Gangho hyung does army sergeant soccer. He just stands near goal post, scores all the goals and does the ceremony. Byunghun hyung does healthy baby soccer, running the field no relation to the ball, like doing personal training." "We did games between actor team and action actor team. We lost to action actor team every time so main casts had to pay betting money, but Gangho hyung insisted he's not main casts every time at that moment(when he had to pay)"

I like he's sharing fun and making jokes on his instagram. It makes this fan's waiting period until his next project much easier. :D

And.... LMJ commented on the post too :D

• 216jung

공 닿으면 지는 피구 아님....

"This isn't dodge ball where you die if you're hit..."

• Like 3
  • LOL 2

5 hours ago, mistymorning said:

And.... LMJ commented on the post too :D

• 216jung

공 닿으면 지는 피구 아님....

"This isn't dodge ball where you die if you're hit..."

th_lmfao.gif That is too funny! She really knows how to leave a good comment. :lol: Seeing how BH doesn't get the ball, one would think he's playing dodge ball or avoiding it instead. th_duck.gifThe couple probably had played the game themselves on their vacation or with friends.

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, garbolein77 said:

Hello,

I discovered a new picture. Pls check the 4th one. 

Hi, it's an old photo though.. when the Busan Filmfest were featuring The Good The Bad & The Weird back in 2008. But the movie never gets old, of course.. looks like it's a favorite for BH as well. He posted a lot of throwback about the movie, apart from Mr.Sunshine.

• Like 5

46 minutes ago, rubie said:

Hi, it's an old photo though.. when the Busan Filmfest were featuring The Good The Bad & The Weird back in 2008. But the movie never gets old, of course.. looks like it's a favorite for BH as well. He posted a lot of throwback about the movie, apart from Mr.Sunshine.

Ohh, never seen it before. It was a funny movie. 

• Like 4

This may.. or may not work. Regretfully, the ELBH website is still offlimits but here is our GBW Gallery on Google. I'm not sure if others can view it.. perhaps, those with Google accounts would be able to. But try clicking on it to see and let me know if the photos can be viewed or not, so that it can be adjusted accordingly

th_note1.gif  LINK

Just for reference: Soompi GBW thread if anyone is interested. However, most of the older movie/drama threads have the previously posted images/links not working.

• Like 4

January 16, 2019

19 hours ago,  mistymorning said: 

In some GBW interview(or clips), I remember JWS was talking about soccer game style of SGH and LBH.(found article here). By JWS, "Gangho hyung does army sergeant soccer. He just stands near goal post, scores all the goals and does the ceremony. Byunghun hyung does healthy baby soccer, running the field no relation to the ball, like doing personal training." "We did games between actor team and action actor team. We lost to action actor team every time so main casts had to pay betting money, but Gangho hyung insisted he's not main casts every time at that moment(when he had to pay)"

I like he's sharing fun and making jokes on his instagram. It makes this fan's waiting period until his next project much easier. :D

Thank you @mistymorning for the recently posted information on Byung Hun-ssi  soccer game.  Like @rubie you must  have an encyclopaedic memory on BH's information.   How can you remember an article posted in 2008 about Lee Byung Hun playing soccer with with co-stars of "The Good, The Bad & The Weird" ?  I am truly amazed.   You made all his fans so happy.

We all look forward to his postings on Instagram.  We still have a long wait for his next project.

• Like 5

I hope to see both director Kim and LBH work on a new project again. TBH, director Kim's movies were better when he had LBH as main lead back then LOL !! Each one of them remained as classic until now.

• Like 4