Lee Byung Hun 이병헌 Byunghun Lee

rubie

lacma_logo.png

20171104l_16.jpg

Source: Zimbio

20171104l_17.jpg

(L-R) Yoshiki, Honoree George Lucas and Lee Byung-hun attend the 2017 LACMA Art + Film Gala Honoring Mark Bradford and George Lucas presented by Gucci at LACMA on November 4, 2017 in Los Angeles, California.

• Like 3

As widely expected, THE FORTRESS in multiple nomination for the upcoming Blue Dragon Awards. Good to see A SINGLE RIDER getting three (non-acting) nomination as well. Particularly tough fight for the Best Film and Best Actor prizes, may the best performance wins!

November 5, 2017

Nominees Announced For 38th Blue Dragon Film Awards

Source: Soompi by DY_Kim

20171106bd_1.jpg

On November 6, the Blue Dragon Film Awards revealed the nominations for 15 categories of this year’s ceremony.

Films released from October 7, 2016 through October 3, 2017 were eligible, and the final nominees were selected through a survey of film industry experts and netizen votes.

In addition to the 15 categories listed below, winners for the Popularity Award, Best Short Film, and Most Viewed Picture will be announced at the ceremony. The 38th Blue Dragon Film Awards will take place at 8:45 p.m. KST on November 25 at Kyung Hee University’s Grand Peace Palace. The ceremony will be broadcast live via SBS.

Check out the nominees below!

20171106bd.jpg

Best Picture

“The Fortress”

“The King”

“Anarchist from Colony”

“The Merciless”

“A Taxi Driver”

Best Director

Kim Hyun Suk – “I Can Speak”

Byun Sung Hyun – “The Merciless”

Lee Joon Ik – “Anarchist from Colony”

Jang Hoon – “A Taxi Driver”

Hwang Dong Hyuk – “The Fortress”

Best Actor

Kim Yoon Suk – “The Fortress”

Sol Kyung Gu – “The Merciless”

Song Kang Ho – “A Taxi Driver”

Lee Byung Hun – “The Fortress”

Jo In Sung – “The King”

Best Actress

Gong Hyo Jin – “Missing”

Kim Ok Bin – “The Villainess”

Na Moon Hee – “I Can Speak”

Moon So Ri – “The Running Actress”

Yum Jung Ah – “The Mimic”

Best Supporting Actor

Kim Dae Myung – “Bluebeard”

Kim Hee Won – “The Merciless”

Bae Sung Woo – “The King”

Yoo Hae Jin – “A Taxi Driver”

Jin Seon Kyu – “The Outlaws”

Best Supporting Actress

Kim So Jin – “The King”

Kim Hae Sook – “New Trial”

Yum Hye Ran – “I Can Speak”

Lee Jung Hyun – “The Battleship Island”

Jun Hye Jin – “The Merciless”

Best New Actor

Goo Kyo Hwan – “Jane”

Kim Joon Han – “Anarchist from Colony”

Nam Yeon Woo – “Lost to Shame”

Do Kyung Soo (EXO’s D.O.) – “My Annoying Brother”

Ryu Jun Yeol – “A Taxi Driver”

Best New Actress

Lee Min Ji – “Jane”

Lee Sang Hee – “Our Love Story”

Lee Soo Kyung – “Yongsoon”

YoonA – “Confidential Assignment”

Choi Hee Seo – “Anarchist from Colony”

Best New Director

Kang Yoon Sung – “The Outlaws”

Moon So Ri – “The Running Actress”

Lee Joo Young – “A Single Rider”

Lee Hyun Joo – “Our Love Story”

Jo Hyun Hoon – “Jane”

Best Screenplay

Eom You Na – “A Taxi Driver”

Lee Joo Young – “A Single Rider”

Jo Hyun Hoon – “Jane”

Hwang Dong Hyuk – “The Fortress”

Hwang Seong Gu – “Anarchist from Colony”

Best Cinematography and Lighting

“The Battleship Island”

“The Fortress”

“The King”

“The Merciless”

“The Villainess”

Best Film Editing

“Criminal Conspiracy”

“Confidential Assignment”

“The King”

“The Outlaws”

“The Merciless”

Best Music

“The Fortress”

“The King”

“The Merciless”

“A Single Rider”

“A Taxi Driver”

Best Art Direction

“The Battleship Island”

“The Fortress”

“The King”

“The Merciless”

“A Taxi Driver”

Best Technical Achievement

“The Battleship Island” – Visual Effects

“Anarchist from Colony” – Costumes

“The Outlaws” – Stunts

“The Villainess” – Stunts

“The Mimic” – Sound Effects

Source (1)

• Like 3

The Hand Printing for the 37th Blue Dragon Award Winners have been re-scheduled after the cancellation last week.

November 7, 2017

The 38th Blue Dragon Film Hand Printing event on Nov 13

Lee Byung Hun, Park So Dam, Park Jung Min, Kim Tae Ri will be attending

Source: Seoul Economic Daily (ELBH Google-translate)

The 38th Blue Dragon Hand Printing event will be held on November 13 (Monday, 2 pm) at Yeouido CGV, Seoul. 

Four actors who won the main acting prizes at the 37th Blue Dragon Film Awards in 2016 will have a chance to look back on the trajectory of the past year, leaving a historical record as the winners of the previous year.

Lee Byung Hun in particular, have been performing various roles each time with unlimited performances and acknowledged for his deep acting ability. The actor finally won the Blue Dragon Best Actor award after 25 years in the industry through the hit movie, Inside Men.

1ONHJISKAG_1.jpg

• Like 3

November 7, 2017

Blue Dragon Award nominees announced

Source: INSIDE Korea JoongAng Daily

The 38th Blue Dragon Awards announced its nominees on Monday. 

“The Merciless” from director Byun Sung-hyun and starring Seol Kyung-gu and Im Si-wan has been nominated for nine awards including Best Film, Best Director, Best Actor and Best Supporting Actor.

“The King” starring Zo In-sung and Jung Woo-sung and “A Taxi Driver” of Song Kang-ho were each nominated for eight categories, and “The Fortress” starring Lee Byung-hun and Kim Yun-seok was nominated for seven awards.

All local movies that premiered between Oct. 7, 2016 and Oct. 3, 2017 were eligible as the nominees. 

The nominated movies will be screened during a special screening event to be held at CGV Yeouido in western Seoul from Nov. 13 to 22. 

The event will take place on Nov. 25 at Grand Peace Hall on the campus of Kyung Hee University in eastern Seoul. SBS will air the ceremony at 8:45 p.m. 

By Hong You-kyoung

• Like 3

Finally an update and a new title! :w00t:

Looks like a family-tearjerker and also a comedy, which will be a good change from all the action and super-serious movies he's done lately.

Next to confirm if the movie will be released end of this year. Can't wait!

Twitter: 날개‏ @AlatusDeus

DOFL9UWUMAAgZjI.jpg

• Like 4

November 9, 2017

Lee Byung Hun discussed his cooperation with screenwriter Kim Eun Sook:   I would not regret it even if the new drama has poor ratings. (A translation)

20171109_1.jpg

Recently, actor Lee Byung Hun was interviewed regarding his cooperation with screenwriter Kim Eun Sook.  During the interview, Lee Byung Hun stated:  “I did not read the script of “Mr. Sunshine”  and decided to act in the TV series.   BH Entertainment Company representative Son Seok Woo played an important role.   He praised screenwriter Kim Eun Sook many times and finally convinced me.”

Lee Byung Hun continued:   “ In fact, many years ago, he told me about screenwriter Kim Eun Sook.  I never said I would not work with the screenwriter.  I would only do it if I received a good script.   I heard that Screenwiter Kim’s lines are outstanding and a drama can be considerd a screenwriter’s art.  Screenwriters have great power in the production process.  If the two of us can cooperate in our prime,  we can have a great 'chemical reaction’.”

Besides, Lee Byung Hun said:  'I would not regret working with her even if the drama did not have high ratings.”  

In addition, the drama “Mr.Sunshine” starring Lee Byung Hun depicts the story of a little boy who boarded a US Military ship to the US in 1871 and who returned as a US soldier to Korea that abandoned him.   This drama will be broadcast by tvN in the first half of 2018. 

Source: http://www.allthatstar.com/tw/view.php?action=5205&postID=372327

• Like 3

November 9, 2017

Lee Byung Hun  expressd his sense of pride in Korean movies (A translation) 

20171109_2.jpg

In a recent  interview, Lee Byung Hun expressed his sense of pride in Korean movies.  

During the interview, Lee Byung Hun said: “20 years ago, I had admired the  Hong Kong movie industry with world-class directors such as Wong Kar-Wai.  At that time, Hong Kong movies were popular.”

He added: “ After I finished acting in Hollywood movies, I could view Chungmuro (South Korean movie industry) objectively and found that our Korean movies have developed a great deal. I did not know that before, but after having done movies in Hollywood, I really felt the quality of our movies has improved a lot and we can really see it with our own eyes."

Lee Byung Hun continued:  “The current Chungmuro may now be an area of envy for some countries, but we do not know this actuality.   Whenever I receive movie scripts, I find there are many good ones among them.”  Praising  Korean film material .

Source: http://www.allthatstar.com/tw/view.php?action=7904&postID=365890

• Like 3

November 10, 2017

‘The Fortress’ wins big at Film Critics Awards

Source: INSIDE Korea JoongAng Daily

Filmmaker Hwang Dong-hyuk’s period epic “The Fortress” took home four awards, including Best Picture and Best Director, at the Korean Association of Film Critics Awards held on Thursday evening. 

Hosted by actor Seo Kang-jun and actress Lee Sun-bin, the 37th edition of the film awards took place at the Press Center in downtown Seoul at 6:30 p.m.

“The Fortress,” set in 1636, when China’s Qing Dynasty invaded Korea, also took home the Best Cinematography and Best Score awards. 

Other winners at the event included Na Muni, pictured left, who won the Best Actress award for her role in heartwarming drama “I Can Speak” and Seol Kyung-gu, pictured right, who nabbed the Best Actor award for his role in crime action movie “The Merciless,” which headed to the prestigious Cannes Film Festival in May to be screened under Midnight Screening section. Actress Jeon Hye-jin was honored with the Best Supporting Actress award for her role in the same movie while Yoo Hai-jin received the Best Supporting Actor award for his character in the period epic “A Taxi Driver,” which has sold more than ten million tickets.

The Best Rookie Director award was handed to Kang Yun-seong, the director of action flick “The Outlaws,” which has become the third best-selling R-rated film in Korean history and is on its way to surpass 2015’s “Inside Men.” 

By Jin Min-ji

• Like 3

LBH's Japanese fans are having a double treat this weekend as MA$TER officially opens in Japan on Friday (11/10) and today (11/11) THE AGE OF SHADOWS follow suit. Not just that, the Japanese trailer for A SINGLE RIDER or ETERNAL (to be released 2018/02) have been shown as well.

Photo: 0426takak0

20171111.jpg

20171111_1.jpg

Source

20171110.jpg

ETERNAL Japan website

201802.jpg

• Like 3

November 10, 2017

TOP 5: Lee Byung Hun, a representative actor of Korea

Source: YTN / clip highlight by PlanetBH0712 (ELBH Google-gist, related excerpt only)

Actor Lee Byung Hun who is prominent both in Korea and abroad, took fifth place. Michael Wheeler, of Hollywood Reporter said: "The most active Korean actor in Hollywood today. Recently, Lee Byung Hun received favorable reviews from domestic critics  for THE FORTRESS (Namhansanseong). At the same time, he continues to be active in international projects such as 'MAGNIFICENT 7' (2016), 'GI Joe 2' (2013).

Variety's Marcus Lim commented on the disappointment in the Korean film industry that "If only the actors can communicate in English smoothly, maybe they can get more opportunities for different works." Lee Byung Hun's move to catch a chance ahead of this evaluation is impressive. 

• Like 3

Some dark clouds before the sun shines..

November 10, 2017

Age gap nettles TV drama fans 

By Ko Dong-hwan The Korea Times

Unlike countries in the West, South Korea is still rather conservative when it comes to romance. 

Among the Confucian standards and ethical references is how old romantic partners should be. 

When couples are seen as "too many" years apart, based on subjective consideration, the couple naturally arouses suspicion and questions prying into their comfort zones like "How did they ever hook up?" or "What would their parents say?" 

Such interest recently heated up further as viewers considered the lineup of upcoming TV dramas. 

A romance between a good-looking hero and heroine ― a classic and hackneyed ingredient in most South Korean small-screen dramas ― has always been there, but when there is an apparent generational gap, it upsets some fans. 

At the forefront of criticism is singer/actress Lee Ji-eun, 24, who reportedly is likely to be cast for the heroine of a tvN series tentatively titled "My Old Gentleman. " Her romantic partner is said to be Lee Sun-kyun, 42. 

The reports attracted hundreds of comments criticizing the drama and the casting of Lee, who, as a singer with the stage name IU, was the victim of rumors two years ago saying her song  "Zeze " targeted males with a Lolita complex. 

The latest criticism includes such comments as: "A romance between a man in his 40s and woman in her 20s appears as if they are father and daughter" and "As if watching illicit affairs between a middle-aged man and his daughter-like figure is not enough, do I really need to watch it again on TV dramas?" 

Angry fans also berated  "Black" airing on OCN since last month, in which Song Seung-heon, 41, flirts with Go Ara, 27, and tvN's coming drama in 2018 "Mr. Sunshine," in which Hollywood stud Lee Byung-hun, 47,plays a hunk alongside Kim Tae-ri, 27. 

The viral criticism of the dramas also focused on tvN's sensational hit  "Guardian: The Lonely and Great God" that ended in January, a fantasy romance between Gong Yoo, 38, and Kim Go-eun, 26. 

One of Korea's top screenwriters, Kim Eun-sook, who penned "Guardian" and "Mr. Sunshine," was also upset when asked whether she liked to portray Lolita complex relationships as true romance. 

The general criticism is reflected in a recent hot keyword on the nation's social networks ― "young forty," which refers to South Korean men in their 40s who avidly follow the cultural contents among people in their 20s. 

Most netizens criticized the young forties. One critic said, "Do they really want to be recognized as young?" Another noted, "Forties are not young but should protect and advise the young instead." 

The idea that 40-something men having romantic affairs with women in their 20s can be charming on screen, or in media, has contributed to the mass-production of "unrealistic and far-fetched" TV dramas, according to online voices. 

One drama producer explained that because many popular actors in their 20s and 30s were serving mandatory military service, available quality actors with skills and fame were usually in their 40s. 

aoshima11@ktimes.com 

Thanks to the fan-highlight at PLANETBH0712

user posted image

November 2, 2017

AFM 2017: The buzz titles from South Korea

BY JEAN NOH Screen

South Korea’s box office is back on track after cinemagoers were distracted by the country’s recent presidential scandal, and a slew of Korean titles are ready to light up the American Film Market (AFM).

Around this time last year, South Korea was beginning to see a drop in box-office admissions tied to a wide-reaching corruption scandal involving the country’s president Park Geun-hye. It arguably beat all fictional creations in outrageousness and compelled viewers to stay glued to their TVs and other devices to keep up with developments.

After several months that saw 10 million Koreans protesting on the streets, before Park was impeached and sent to jail in spring 2017, South Korean cinemas returned to business as usual. By the half-year mark in 2017, box office had hit an all-time high for the first six months of any year on record with $695m.

To date, seven of the top 10 hits of 2017 are local films, led by historical drama A Taxi Driver, which clocked up more than 12 million admissions and $85m. It is one of many features inspired directly and indirectly by real-life events and situations — historical, criminal, social and personal — in South Korea’s often dramatic landscape. This is also reflected in the newer films on offer at AFM, ranging from fact-based historical drama 1987: When The Day Comes to personal and social conflict in After My Death and martial-arts film The Swordsmen.

afm.jpg

1987: When The Day Comes (Dir Jang Joon-hwan)

Spoiler

A historical drama from Jang Joon-hwan, known for Hwayi: A Monster Boy and Save The Green Planet!, 1987: When The Day Comes is set around circumstances that eventually toppled South Korea’s military dictatorship. When a student dissident is tortured to death during an interrogation, ordinary citizens decide they have had enough and start to fight for truth and democratisation. The film, which stars Kim Yoon-seok (The Priests), Ha Jung-woo (The Handmaiden), Yoo Hae-jin (Confidential Assignment) and Kim Tae-ri (The Handmaiden), is scheduled for local release in December.

Contact CJ Entertainment filmsales@cj.net

After My Death (Dir Kim Ui-seok)

Spoiler

Winner of the New Currents Award at the recent Busan International Film Festival, where it had its world premiere, Kim Ui-seok’s feature directing debut stars Jeon Yeo-bin, Seo Young-hwa and Ko Won-hee in a drama about what happens after a high-school girl apparently jumps to her death from a bridge. Without a body or suicide note, people begin to suspect Young-hee, the last person to see her. She is filled with guilt, but not necessarily for the reason they think.

Contact M-Line Distribution sales@mline-distribution.com

The Age Of Blood (Dir Kim Hong-sun)

Spoiler

The feature debut of TV director Kim Hong-sun is a period martial-arts film following Kim Ho, the Joseon Dynasty’s best swordsman and the king’s guard, who is suddenly demoted to prison keeper. When five martial-arts masters break into the jail to free a treasonous conspirator, Kim must battle them through professional duty and to save his family. Starring Jung Hae-in, Kim Ji-hoon and Hong Soo-ah, The Age Of Blood is set for local release on November 23.

Contact M-Line Distribution sales@mline-distribution.com

The Chase (Dir Kim Hong-sun)

Spoiler

The Con Artist and Traffickers director’s new film is a crime thriller starring Baek Yoon-sik (Inside Men) as a grumpy old landlord in a town where people go missing, later to turn up dead. Sung Dong-il plays a former detective on the trail of a 30-year-old unsolved crime who shows up to ask for the landlord’s help. The film was produced by AD406, the company behind Cannes hit A Hard Day, and CineZoo, and is set for local release this month.

Contact Contents Panda sales@its-new.co.kr

Golden Slumber (Dir Noh Dong-seok)

Spoiler

Based on Isaka Kotaro’s bestselling Japanese novel of the same name, Noh Dong-seok’s thriller stars Gang Dong-won (A Violent Prosecutor) as a kind-hearted deliveryman who happens to be meeting up with an old friend when a car explodes nearby. Suddenly, he finds himself the prime suspect in the assassination of a presidential candidate and trapped in a wide-reaching political conspiracy. The film also stars Kim Eui-sung (Train To Busan) and Han Hyo-joo (Cold Eyes).

Keys To The Heart (Dir Choi Sung-hyun)

20171108afm_2.jpg

Starring Lee Byung-hun as a washed-up boxer and Park Jung-min as his younger brother with savant syndrome and exceptional piano-playing skills, Keys To The Heart is the feature directorial debut of Choi Sung-hyun. Comedy and strife ensue as the brothers start living under one roof. Youn Yuh-jung (The Bacchus Lady) and Han Ji-min (The Age Of Shadows) also star. The film is currently in post-production.

Last Child (Dir Shin Dong-seok)

Spoiler

Winner of the Fipresci prize at the recent Busan International Film Festival, Shin Dong-seok’s debut feature follows a couple who lost their son Eunchan six months ago when he drowned saving one of his friends, Kihyun. As the bereaved parents slowly make Kihyun a part of their lives, he confesses the shocking truth behind Eunchan’s death. The film stars Choi Moo-seong, Kim Yeo-jin and Seong Yu-bin.

Contact Finecut cineinfo@finecut.co.kr

The Legend (Dir Seung-one Lee)

Spoiler

Lee’s action film is set in a near future where capital punishment is banned but the most vicious criminals from the Asia Pacific are permanently exiled to AP101, a remote island where they live alone. A former top Interpol agent gets himself sentenced to the island in order to seek vengeance against the drug lord who had his family murdered. Starring Bruce Khan, Park Hee-soon and Yoon Jin-seo, the film is produced by Greenfish, who also made The Suspect and Memoir Of A Murderer, on which Lee was assistant director. He makes his feature debut with The Legend, which shot in Indonesia and Korea and will be released locally in summer 2018.

Contact Jamie Shin, Little Big Pictures jamies@little-big.co.kr

Mermaid Unlimited (Dir O Muel)

Spoiler

O Muel, who won the 2013 Sundance grand jury prize for the world cinema — dramatic competition with Jiseul, turns his hand to lighter-hearted drama with Mermaid Unlimited. The film is set on Jeju Island, known for its ‘haenyeo’ or ‘sea women’ who deep-dive without using any breathing equipment to gather seafood. The story focuses on Youngju, a former champion swimmer with an alcohol problem hired by the local authorities to put together a synchronised swimming team to promote haenyeo culture. Starring Jeon Hye-bin, Moon Hee-kyung, Lee Kyoung-jun, Ha Seok-min and Kang Rae-yeon, the film had its world premiere in Busan.

Contact Jason Chae, Mirovision jason@mirovision.com

The Swordsman (Dir Choi Jae-hoon)

Spoiler

This period action film stars Jang Hyuk (Volcano High), Jeong Man-sik (Asura — The City Of Madness) and Indonesian actor Joe Taslim (The Raid) as three swordsmen who cross each other’s paths. One is searching for his only daughter after losing one of his eyes, another is the Joseon Dynasty’s best swordsman who now chooses to live a simple life, and the last is the finest swordsman of the Qing Dynasty aspiring to become the best in Joseon too. The film is in post-production.

Contact Hana Choi, Opus Pictures hana@opuspictures.com

20171108afm_1.jpg

• Like 3