Lee Byung Hun 이병헌 Byunghun Lee

rubie

7 hours ago, peonie said:

November 28, 2017

Best Actor Lee Byung Hun will visit Hong Kong this Saturday  

Lee Byung Hun and Han Hyo Joo will visit Hong Kong this Saturday as guests of honour of a store opening.  (A translation)

Korean star Lee Byung Hun's exquisite acting in “Inside Men” won him Best Actor in Korea’s 37th Blue Dragon Film Awards.  This followed winning Best Actor in the 10th Asian Film Awards, 52nd Baeksang, 36th Korean Association of Film Critics Awards, and the 25th Buil Film Awards.  Over his 25 years of acting, he had been nominated several times by the Blue Dragon Film Awards,  therefore he was very moved when he was awarded Best Actor.  On stage, he thanked his wife Lee Min Jung and his family for their support.   He will visit Hong Kong on December 3, and together with Han Hyo Joo,  female star of the popular drama series “W”, are invited as guests of honour for the opening of the New York fashion brand “Theory's" store in Pacific Place.

Great sharing, Barbara. Not just the 2016 MAMA but another cool treat for the Hong Kong fans to see BH upclose. Not forgetting being among the first (apart from Korean fans) to watch MA$TER in December.

Found this highlight on Instagram as well.

Photo: ipshkg

• Like 3

November 28, 2016

Lee Byung Hun's 8th nomination finally hits Best Actor jackpot at Blue Dragon Film Awards

The Korea Herald/ANN | AsiaOne

20161125bd_110.jpg

SEOUL - Actor Lee Byung Hun finally nabbed the Blue Dragon Film Award for best actor for the first time in his 25-year career - after seven previous nominations - for his role as a smooth-talking gangster in political thriller Inside Men.

"When I saw the script for Inside Men, I wondered if it exaggerated reality," he said in his acceptance speech on Friday at the awards ceremony at Kyung Hee University.

"But ultimately it seems like reality has surpassed Inside Men," he said, referring to the political scandal sweeping Korea involving Choi Soon Sil, under investigation for peddling unauthorised influence in state affairs and coercing funds from conglomerates.

Lee also addressed the mass candle vigils that have been calling for President Park Geun Hye's resignation. "I had a belief that those candles would be candles of hope," he said.

Lee's character in the film, Ahn Sang Goo, is a mobster who ends up being crushed by larger political powers more ruthless and power-hungry than his group of fist-wielding crooks.

The 46-year-old actor debuted in 2001 with the military drama Joint Security Area.

He has forayed into Hollywood, starring in blockbusters like G.I. Joe: The Rise Of Cobra in 2009, Terminator Genisys in 2015, and The Magnificent Seven this year.

The award for best actress went to Kim Min Hee for her role as a lonely Japanese heiress in The Handmaiden.

Kim, whose affair with married film director Hong Sang Soo was recently made public, did not attend the ceremony.

Producer Yoon Seok Chan of The Handmaiden received the award on her behalf.

"She worked harder than anyone on the film, from 2013 until last year's sweltering summer," he said.

The annual Blue Dragon Film Awards, in its 37th edition, is considered one of Korea's three most influential awards ceremonies.

• Like 3

November 29, 2016

INSIDE MEN Deemed Best Film at 37th Blue Dragon Awards
Top Korean Film Awards Hand Out 4 Prizes to THE WAILING

by Pierce Conran / KoBiz

WOO Min-ho’s political thriller Inside Men won the Best Film award in a competitive field at this year’s 37th Blue Dragon Awards, the top Korean industry awards ceremony. Yet the most prolific winner of the night was the Cannes-bowed horror-thriller THE WAILING, which converted four of its 11 nominations into wins, including Best Director for NA Hong-jin. YOON Ga-eun took home the Best New Director prize for her debut feature The World of Us.

Inside Men, which received six nominations, also won in the Best Actor field with LEE Byung-hun taking that prize. Best Actress was given to KIM Min-hee of PARK Chan-wook’s The Handmaiden. The Best Supporting Actor and Actress accolades went to Japanese actor KUNIMURA Jun of THE WAILING and young star PARK So-dam of exorcism thriller The Priests.

KUNIMURA was also one of the recipients of the Popularity Award, along with actors JUNG Woo-sung (Asura : The City of Madness), SON Ye-jin (The Last Princess) and BAE Doo-na (Tunnel). Meanwhile, Best New Actor award went to PARK Jung-min in LEE Joon-ik’s period drama DONGJU; The Portrait of A Poet and Best New Actress award was picked up by KIM Tae-ri from The Handmaiden.

DONGJU also picked up an award for Best Screenplay, by SHIN Yeon-shick, while RYU Seong-hee won her third Best Art Direction award for her work on The Handmaiden, giving the film three prizes during the night. LEE Mo-gae and LEE Sung-hwan of Asura : The City of Madness won the Best Cinematography and Lighting awards and TRAIN TO BUSAN earned the Technical Award for KWAK Tae-yong and HWANG Hyo-gyun while THE WAILING’s other two awards were for Best Music (JANG Young-gyu and DALPALAN) and Best Film Editing (KIM Sun-min). LEE Ji-won was awarded the Best Short Film prize for Summer Night.

Clip: celebs_pick

• Like 3

user posted image

November 25, 2016

‘Inside Men,’ ‘The Wailing’ Top Korea’s Blue Dragon Awards

Sonia Kil Variety.com

1480383809583cdd418ed22.jpg

Crime thriller “Inside Men” was named as best picture at South Korea’s annual Blue Dragon film awards. Lee Byung-hun also won for his lead role in the film as playing a vengeful political henchman.

The awards (a.k.a Cheongryong) shone a spotlight on key titles at the end of a strong year for Korean film, both critically and at the box office. Last year awards were shared between major hits and indie releases.

“When I read the script, I thought it was a bit exaggerated, because it’s a fictional work. But at this point, it seems as if the reality is even more overwhelming than the movie,” said Lee in his acceptance speech. That was a reference to the bizarre incidents and political turmoil currently gripping Korea.

Winner of the most prizes was Na Hong-jin’s occult thriller “The Wailing,” which took home five trophies. The Fox release won best director for Na, best supporting actor for Japan’s Jun Kunimura, who also won a special award given to the most popular star of the year, and two technical awards.

The best actress award went to Kim Min-hee for her role in Park Chan-wook’s Cannes competition entry, “The Handmaiden.” The film also won best debut actress for Kim Tae-ri.

Lee Joon-ik’s black and white movie about historical figure Yoon Dong-ju, “Dongju; The Portrait of A Poet,” won best screenplay for producer-scriptwriter Shin Yeon-shik and the best debut actor for Kang Ha-neul.

Yoon Ga-eun won best debut director for “The World of Us,” which debuted at Berlinale in February.

Yeon Sang-ho’s zombie actioner “Train to Busan,” the year’s box office champion, was awarded prizes for the highest audience and for best editing.

• Like 3

November 30, 2016

Lee Min Jung to accompany Lee Byung Hun to Hong Kong

Source: EDAILY (Google-translate)

[Alone] Lee Min-jung, Lee Hong `MAMA` 行 along ...  `` Express inner tank

According to MS Team Entertainment on November 30, actress Lee Min Jung will be accompanying her husband, actor Lee Byung Hun to Hong Kong. LBH is scheduled to appear as a presenter at the 2016 MAMA on December 2. The couple will depart for Hong Kong on Thursday.

Apart from Byunghun's MAMA event and attending a store opening on Saturday. the star couple will be spending some quality time during their trip to Hong Kong together.

• Like 3

November 30, 2016

Once considered box office poison, Lee Byung Hun has become the fifth Korean Actor to have achieved the three major Korean film awards  "Grand Slam”.

(excerpt from an article - a translation)

Screen%20Shot%202016-11-30%20at%209.44.1

At the 37th Dragon Film Awards ceremony, Lee Byung Hun with the movie “Inside Men” won the best actor award, defeating Song Kang Ho, Jung Woo Sung, Kwak Do Won, Ha Jung Woo who are strong competitors.  This is the first time that he won Blue Dragon Best Actor Award since his debut 25 years ago and after seven nominations.   Following Ahn Sung Ki, Choi Min Sik, Park Joong Hoon and Han Suk Kyo, Lee Byung Hun has become the fifth Korean Actor to have achieved the three major Korean film awards  "Grand Slam”.

In his acceptance speech, Lee Byung Hun also expressed his views on the current chaotic political situation in South Korea:   “When I read the script for “Inside Men” I was concern that the performance based on the plot may be too extreme, exaggerated,  but now reality has surpassed the film’s plot.”

• Like 3

@peonie what a fantastic update, Barbara. I never realized about the Grand Slam achievement before this, what a surprise for Lee Byung Hun fans. The one noted Chungmuro achievement he had was finally getting into the 10-million (admission) club. I thought that was quite a feat considering that he always has critically-acclaimed performances but somehow the movies just fell short of being true box-office hits. Does it refer to the Grand Bell (Daejong), Blue Dragon and Baeksang film awards to make it a Grand Slam? This year LBH really achieved a huge milestone in his acting career. A lot of first 'Best Actor' awards to add to his long list of an already impressive resume.

Below is just a rough gist, hope we'll get to read a better article in English later.

November 30, 2016

MyDaily Anniversary Feature: Movie of My Life

Source: Naver

201611301444201129_1_99_20161130230704.jpg?type=w540

Celebrating its 12th Anniversary, Korean media portal 'MyDaily' released the list of favourite "life movies' chosen by 12 representative movie actors in Chungmuro including Lee Byung-hun, Jung Woo-sung, Lee Jung-jae, Son Ye-jin, Gong Hyo-jin and Ha Ji-won .The stars interviewed had shared the movie that affected them the most with a lasting timeless impression.

Actor Lee Byung Hun has chosen the movie 'Dallas Buyers Club'

"I liked the drama genre and saw the 'Dallas Buyers Club', and by the time I got out of the theater, I was totally fascinated by the actor, Matthew McConaughey."

Matthew McConaughey had won an Oscar Best Actor award for his performance in the movie.

201611301444201129_2_99_20161130230704.jpg?type=w540

• Like 3

30th November 2016

Korean major film awards "Grand Slam"

@rubie  you are absolutely right, I think  "Grand Slam" in Korean major film awards means winning:  Grand Bell (Daejong), Blue Dragon and Baeksang.  The article did not elaborate on the meaning of Grand Slam.  However, I check the best actor awards received by the four actors mentioned in the article.  They all won the three aforementioned awards, sometimes, more than once.   

• Like 3

December 1, 2016

MA$TER Director

Lee Byung Hun x Kang Dong Won x Kim Woo Bin: A Dream Cast

Source: OSEN (Google-translate)

201612010858775477_583f6853d1551.jpg

Director Jo Ui Seok has expressed his satisfaction in the casting of actors Lee Byung Hun, Kang Dong Won and Kim Woo Bin in the upcoming crime-thriller 'Master'. He said, "The actors who represented each generation in Korea are going to appear in the cast.

• Like 3