Lee Byung Hun 이병헌 Byunghun Lee

rubie

Our thanks to the fan-highlight on twitter ~

Published on August 8, 2018 by 진저 영어 Jinger English

I love Lee Byung hun's voice! Hands down, one of the best among Korean actors who speak English, voice-wise.
I am so proud of him for being in Hollywood as a Korean actor.
Enjoy!

Lee Byung hun reveals who was his English teacher in Hollywood

Photos: Ariane Desgagnés-Leclerc

It was a great honor for me to appear with Lee Byung-hun, a charming actor with true manners.

• Like 3

August 26, 2018

"Mr. Sunshine" Lee Ho Jae Angry With Lee Byung Hun

Source: Xportsnews via HanCinema.net

photo996989.jpg

On the latest episode of the tvN drama "Mr. Sunshine", Eugene Choi (Lee Byung-hun) went to Go Sa-hong's (Lee Ho-jae) house.

He asked why he'd been looking for him, but Go So-hong seemed surprised by this. He called Go Ae-shin (Kim Tae-ri) and asked, "Are you who Ae-shin has been talking about? From now on, don't apologize or make excuses and just answer my questions. Is it true that she likes you? And do you like her back?"

He added, "I just can't understand how a Joseon person becomes a Westerner". Eugene explained, "I left Joseon to survive and I became an American to become one. Americans are the invading army, but I wish for Joseon to be safe".

When Go Sa-hong found out that Eugene was of a slavery class, he yelled at Go Ae-shin for insulting him and that it was embarrassing enough that a woman from a noble family had a crush on a man. "You will not be with him even though you get divorced. You're going die alone and lonely. This is the circumstance of your decision".

• Like 4

20180829_0.jpg

August 27, 2018

Lee Byung Hun to attend 75th Venice Film Festival

Source: JTBC PLUS

20180625_13.jpg

Lee Byung Hun will be attending the 75th Venice International Film Festival held from August 29 as the representative of Korea. He is expected to appear on the red carpet of the event as well as the dinner show.

He will go to Venice as the promotional ambassador for the watch brand Jaeger- LeCoultre, the main sponsor of Venice Film Festival for 13 consecutive years. Lee Byung Hun has been working as this brand's ambassador since June.

Venice Film Festival is considered one of the three largest film festivals in the world. From August 29 to September 8, this event will be held at Lido Island in Venice, Italy. This year, South Korean cinema has no nominated movie.

Reporter Park Jung Sun park.jungsun@jtbc.co.kr

• Like 5

August 28, 2018

MR.SUNSHINE September 2 Ending Party, Lee Byung Hun unable to attend

Source: YTN (Google-translate)

On August 28, an official of tvN's hit drama MR.SUNSHINE stated to YTN Star, "After the last scene shot, there will a special dinner to commemorate the last day of filming".

MR.SUNSHINE which had been broadcast up to 16 episodes since July, will end with episode 24 on the 23rd of September. As there will be remaining one month until the last airing, a special dinner is being prepared to appreciate the hardworking efforts of all the drama crew and cast.

However, due to their pre-scheduled activities, actors Lee Byung Hun and Yoo Yeon Seok are unable to attend the dinner. Co-stars Kim Tae Ri, Kim Min Jung and Byun Yo Han are coordinating their schedule. Kim Tae Ri's additional scenes will be finalized this week as the filming ends.

The actors and crew have committed almost a year to the production of MR.SUNSHINE since September 2017 hence it's difficult to gather everyone once the filming ended.

A fishy fishing-datewatermelon_slice_by_le_noodle.gif

mrsun15_04.gif

mrsun15_05.gif

mrsun15_06.gif

• Like 5

August 29, 2018

A MR.SUNSHINE message from Lee Byung Hun via weibo

Source: LeeByungHun0712

미스터 션샤인과 함께, 오늘도 웃음짓는 하루 되시길. 

Have a happy Mr. Sunshine day of laughter.

和阳光先生一起, 度过开心的一天。  

Have a good day with Mr. Sunshine.

20180829lbh.jpg

20180829lbh1.jpg

• Like 5

I am grateful to you, @rubie, as always for all the updates....

I just saw this blog and it warmed my heart to see all the wonderful comments. I am not much on Soompi, but I wanted to come share these.

Lee Byung Hun wraps up filming his comeback drama Mr Sunshine

0000223978_001_20180829214555344.jpg

[+280, -36] A global actor, the best actor. Happy days when I see your acting <3 <3

[+115, - 8] I want more.ㅜㅜ .. Why is the shooting ending, please say you're just resting...ㅋㅋㅋ  Let's go with a 240 episode formatㅋㅋㅋ 

[+88, -11] Eugene Aeshin please have a happy ending.... <3 In the Republic of Korea there's only one Lee Byung Hun♡♡♡.. An actor I admire, I will cheer for you... Fighting

[+68, -15] God Byung Hun... I hope you win the Cannes prize one day

[+48, -2] It looks like it's gonna be a happy ending... Because of Mr Sunshine, I was really happy.

[+42, -2] His restrained acting is the best, deep sad gaze and profound voice. I feel his body of work is a life's gift. You worked so hard, thank you. 

[+21, -3] I'm going to start liking Lee Byung Hun

[+21, -4] A heavenly actor who makes everything go quiet with his acting

[+19, -2] God Byung Hun please come back more to dramas... I became a fan of your smile

source
  • Like 5

August 30, 2018

@irilight  Thank you so much for sharing this amazing blog with positive comments on Lee Byung Hun.  As a long term LBH fan, I feel  uplifted that many fans can appreciate his excellent acting.   His portrayal of Eugene is superb yet quiet.  So different from his recent roles  in movies such as "Inside Men" and "Master". 

• Like 5

@irilight How have you been, hope your are feeling & doing well. We've really missed you at the thread.. although we often 'bumped' into each other on twitter. :lol: Hope you'll check out MR.SUNSHINE too, it's surprisingly a nice well-made drama and none of the fluffy romance whatnot. Thank you for highlighting and sharing the translation, it's indeed a good K-netz response to read than the usual demeaning stuff to attract traffic. The translator is knowingly not a Lee Byung Hun fan but is professional and kind enough to translate good (movie) articles about him that we otherwise may not be aware of. So, our gratitude to Netizentown.

@peonie Are you back in HK? Welcome back indeed and time to catch up on the latest episodes and all the sharing at the drama thread. There have been pages of quite a 'heated' discussion at MR.SUNSHINE soompi but it's all good to read and ponder. Just 2 more days till Saturday for episode 17. The preview from tvN & Netflix is making everyone doubly anxious but we can't wait to watch, of course.

August 28, 2018

'Mr. Sunshine' News & Update:

Lee Byung Hun Completes Filming After Almost A Year

BY JESSICA RAPIR / Korea Portal

mr-sunshine-actor-lee-byung-hun-completes-filming-of-hit-k-drama-after-almost-a-year-photo-by-mr-sunshine-netflix-facebook.jpg?w=750

'Mr. Sunshine' actor Lee Byung Hun completes filming of hit K-drama after almost a year. Photo by Mr. Sunshine Netflix/Facebook

Mr. Sunshine lead actor Lee Byung Hun has finally completed filming all his scenes for the tvN drama after almost a year in production. Lee plays the role of the valiant US Marine officer Eugene Choi in the internationally released K-drama.

OSEN (via AllKpop) reported that Lee completed filming of Mr. Sunshine on Monday while his co-lead star Kim Tae Ri still has additional scenes to shoot. Kim plays the role of Go Ae-sin, a noblewoman who falls in love with Eugene Choi while keeping her duty as a member of a secret group aiming for the freedom of Joseon.

Actors Yoo Yeon Seok (Goo Dong-mae) and Byun Yo Han (Kim Hee-sung), on the other hand, completed their filming earlier. The series began its production in September 2017. It is safe to assume that given the historical plot of the show, stunning cinematography, and lavish costumes of the all the characters, it takes a year for Mr. Sunshine to finish filming all of the scenes.

A Korean drama usually runs for one season with 12-24 episodes of 60 minutes each. Typically, a show takes about six months to finish. Mr. Sunshine airs new episodes while production is ongoing. But there are other series, like the Descendants Of The Sun, that are pre-produced before the airing of the pilot episode.

Set during the 1871 Shinmiyango or the U.S, expedition to Korea, Mr. Sunshine tells the story of a boy who fled to the United States when he was still a child. He later returns to his homeland as an American soldier. He finds out that Japan plans to colonize his homeland but at the same time he falls in love with an aristocrat's granddaughter.

With a budget of$40 billion won (US$36 million), no wonder Mr. Sunshine takes all the time to perfect each of its scenes. Mr. Sunshine's filming took place in various locations in South Korea. Production sets for the 1900s setting of Korea were built on a 6.5 acres site in South Chungcheong Province. Another 70,000 square feet indoor set was also built in Daejeon to house the American Embassy and the Hotel Glory in the series.

Everything pays off. Its captivating storyline and extravagant production make Mr. Sunshine as one the most-watch Korean TV series today. The period drama just recorded its second-highest viewership rating so far. Sunday's Episode 16 reached a 17.7 percent rating which is a little short of its personal best of 18.12 percent a week earlier.

Mr. Sunshine has received attention even before airing because it is the latest project of director Lee Eung-bok and screenwriter Kim Eun-sook. Both worked together in hit TV series Descendants of the Sun and Goblin. Mr. Sunshine airs every Saturday and Sunday at 9 p.m. KST on tvN. It is also available via streaming on Netflix.

• Like 5

10 hours ago, peonie said:

Thank you so much for sharing this amazing blog with positive comments on Lee Byung Hun.  As a long term LBH fan, I feel  uplifted that many fans can appreciate his excellent acting.   His portrayal of Eugene is superb yet quiet.  So different from his recent roles  in movies such as "Inside Men" and "Master". 

@peonie, My pleasure...   You are too kind. You and @rubie do so much on this thread.
Yes, very different portrayal, or rather - role.  I have not watched Inside Men yet, but certainly different than Master.
I actually love his portrayal.

8 hours ago, rubie said:

How have you been, hope your are feeling & doing well. We've really missed you at the thread.. although we often 'bumped' into each other on twitter. :lol: Hope you'll check out MR.SUNSHINE too, it's surprisingly a nice well-made drama and none of the fluffy romance whatnot. Thank you for highlighting and sharing the translation, it's indeed a good K-netz response to read than the usual demeaning stuff to attract traffic. The translator is knowingly not a Lee Byung Hun fan but is professional and kind enough to translate good (movie) articles about him that we otherwise may not be aware of. So, our gratitude to Netizentown.

@rubie, always a treat to bump into you, even on twitter.
Sorry.. I am not much on Soompi. I will try to come here more often.
I am watching this drama - Mr. Sunshine. I won't miss it for the world. 
It is the first time that Netflix is bringing us (in the U.S.A) a Kdrama simultaneously with Korean air dates... Several of us are thrilled with it, and we get on Netflix early both Sat. and Sund. to watch the episodes.  Aside from loving the drama (i so agree with all  the comments in that blog about Lee Byung-Hun beautiful and restrained acting), we want to encourage Netflix to bring more Asian Drama as they air.

Wow... I have not realized he had spent a year filming it....
That's a huge chunk of his time.

BTW, another aspect of it I loved about him, is that he speaks quite a bit of English, and does so well.
I hope this will open more opportunities for him in Hollywood too - aside from just action roles they seem to have given him.

Although, I must confess, I prefer him in Korean material than in American...

• Like 4

I initially thought he would appear at the 75th Venezia Opening on 8/29 but it's actually on 8/30 that he walked the Red Carpet of the Venice International Film Festival 2018.

th_character019.gif Lee Byung Hun walks the red carpet ahead of the 'Roma' screening during the 75th Venice Film Festival at Sala Grande on August 30, 2018 in Venice, Italy. GettyImages. 

20180829_23.jpg

20180829_14.jpg

• Like 4

20180831_l.jpg

August 31, 2018

Lee Byung Hun at Jaeger-LeCoultre Dinner In Venice - 75th Venice International Film Festival

Source: Zimbio

20180831_2.jpg

20180831_3.jpg

Spoiler

20180831_1.jpg

Lee Byung Hun arrives for the Jaeger-LeCoultre Gala Dinner during the 75th Venice International Film Festival at Palazzo Pisani Moretta on August 31, 2018 in Venice, Italy.

20180831_4.jpg

Jaeger-LeCoultre CEO Catherine Renier and Lee Byung Hun arrive for the Jaeger-LeCoultre Gala Dinner during the 75th Venice International Film Festival at Palazzo Pisani Moretta on August 31, 2018 in Venice, Italy.

20180831_5.jpg

Benedict Cumberbatch (L) and Lee Byung Hun arrive for the Jaeger-LeCoultre Gala Dinner during the 75th Venice International Film Festival at Palazzo Pisani Moretta on August 31, 2018 in Venice, Italy.

20180831_6.jpg

Lee Byung Hun speaks during the Jaeger-LeCoultre Gala Dinner during the 75th Venice International Film Festival at Palazzo Pisani Moretta on August 31, 2018 in Venice, Italy.

• Like 5